Start by marking “The Crime Writer” as Want to Read:
The Crime Writer

The Crime Writer

3.67  ·  Rating Details ·  1,493 Ratings  ·  214 Reviews
Drew Danner , an L.A.-based crime novelist, awakens in a hospital bed with a scar on his head, blood under his nails, and a cop by his side. Accused of murdering his ex-fiancée, Drew has no memory of the crime but reconstructs the story the only way he knows how—as a novel. As he searches the dark corridors of his life and the city he loves, another young woman is simil
Published June 24th 2008 by Penguin Books (first published January 1st 2007)

To ask other readers questions about The Crime Writer, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Crime Writer

Mike (the Paladin)
Nov 08, 2015 Mike (the Paladin) rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: thriller
Thie is the second book I've read by this writer. I found I liked this one a bit better than the first I read which while aiming at sort of "action thriller" status didn't really draw me in.

I also side stepped a couple more of his books because the synopses seemed to me to show a pattern even a formula (view spoiler)

here we got a fairly original idea. I mean you've probably seen versions of i
Bandit
Jul 17, 2014 Bandit rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm always on a lookout for literary stand alone thriller mysteries. This one wasn't my thing exactly, too noir, too testosterony and it did take me a while to get into, but good writing is good writing and Crime Writer offered enough of that for a solid and quite compelling read. He also didn't skimp in strong multifaceted characters, which is always nice to see since so much of this genre tends to go to two dimensional stereotypes. The final reveal was nice too, twist like. This is one of thos ...more
Donna
Nov 30, 2016 Donna rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: crime-mystery
I think this is my third novel by this author. I like that he is different. I won't sugar coat the beginning though. I'm not sure if it was the story or that fact that I was really tired that made the start of this book rough. Once I downed 200 mg of caffeine, as well as 2 cokes, things got much better. I'm not sure if it was because of the caffeine or the story, but it was much more enjoyable. I really enjoyed the humor. This had me laughing out loud.

The story was a little too 'round and round
Kelly
The writing style in this book was quite difficult to get used to, but once I got a few chapters into the novel it was easier to follow.
I didn't really like the lead character Drew, though I can't pin down the reason.
The plot should have been really gripping but I found that by the middle it was basically a repitition of events, find clue, no one believes him, someone may be stalking him, find another clue... etc etc
Then at the end the killer turns out to be someone entirely unexpected, not b
Jan
A well written psychological thriller with an interesting premise - a noted crime writer awakes in a hospital room and is told his ex-girlfriend was murdered and he was found over the body having had a seizure. The crime writer is determined to find who killed her -- himself or somebody else. Although it was a little slow in places, the plot was totally believable.
Feb 16, 2017 Jennifer rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, thriller, audible
The author gets a little overly wordy in the beginning of this novel, but I think the premise is really interesting. The main character wakes up in the hospital after he's had emergency surgery to have a brain tumor. There's blood under his fingernails and the cops found him at the scene of his ex-girlfriend's murder. He doesn't think he did it, but his memory has holes. As he's a crime writer he wants to solve the mystery. Very funny minor characters.
Drew
Jun 06, 2016 Drew rated it liked it
I'm still debating whether it's fairer to give this book 3 or 4 stars, since I wavered on how much I liked it quite frequently while reading it. This would be the perfect opportunity to give something a 3 1/2 star rating if goodreads allowed it, but in the end half-star ratings are wishy-washy bullshit so I'm glad they don't. Anyway, there are points in this book where Hurwitz gets a little literary, gives a shot at the whole Raymond Chandler LA alienation thing. And I sorta respect it, because ...more
Sarah Funke
Jan 02, 2010 Sarah Funke rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Books with plot! Who knew? Really loved this contemporary take on hard-boiled LA fiction, which kept me up late, guessing (wrong) till the final moments. 300 pages and plenty of checkmarks, most for nostalgic humor ("He looked like someone Fat Albert had sat on") and meta-remarks ("A coyote trotted down the slope ahead of me, an escapee from a moir novel") but some for short bits and occasional paragraphs that suggest a thoughtful, incisive mind at work observing and assessing small and large cu ...more
Mi Camino Blanco
Sep 02, 2015 Mi Camino Blanco rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviews
Siempre que leo novela negra ambientada en Los Angeles no puede evitar pensar en Michael Connelly, mi favorito, y toda posible comparación acaba siempre en derrota. Tal vez por eso no ha llegado a engancharme del todo este libro que pese a tener todos los ingredientes, le faltaba la mano maestra que preparara el combinado perfecto, aunque reconozco los intentos dignos por ofrecer una cuidada ambientación de la ciudad así como un escenario acorde a lo oscuro de la trama.

El personaje principal no
Anna
Dec 08, 2007 Anna rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: geeks who like mysteries
So Len brought this home to me and I thought it might be kind of trashy, but it's like a meta-crime novel, a novel of the fantastic, in which to solve the crime he has to write the story. It's way fun. I do not vouch for anything else he's written, as this appears to be a major departure.
Skip
Apr 03, 2010 Skip rated it really liked it
Shelves: thriller
Good psychological thriller, where Drew Danner (a crime writer) awakens with his murdered ex-girlfriend's bllod all over him and no memory of what happened. He works diligently to remember and solve the mystery.
Isabel Mansfield
Nov 14, 2012 Isabel Mansfield rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great read
Agnes Muscoreil
Dec 25, 2012 Agnes Muscoreil rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Hurwitz delivers again
Elli Mae
Jan 27, 2017 Elli Mae rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Intricate story line that doubled back on me more than once! An ending I NEVER GUESSED until hearing the words come out of Drew's mouth. Hurwitz provides the rambling monologue of a sobered alcoholic Crime Writer that only Scott Brick could manifest the boozy, larger than life, Hollywood, "Here's looking at you kid..." timber and modulated voice fit into naturally. It would have been 5 stars if I didn't have an aversion to listening to a long rant like a scolding from a drunk family member, but ...more
Joan
Feb 07, 2017 Joan rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, audio
Drew Danner is a crime writer. When his former girlfriend is found dead and he is there covered in blood. He is charged with murder, but has a brain tumor which was removed. He is freed because the jury blames the tumor. Drew can't believe that he could kill so he is determined to prove that he did not kill. A second girl is killed in the same way and Drew is arrested again. He proves he has an alibi, but police still think he is guilty. The book could have been so much better without the cutesy ...more
Luann
Interesting plot and a good concept. I liked the main character - I always like a smart ass. I did not expect the ending, which is always a good thing in a mystery. However, I felt like the writing, at times, was a little bloated. Droning on and on about how the sunlight hit a spot in the house, etc. This book could have been a little shorter if the author hadn't spent so much time describing certain elements within the story that we not relevant.
Randi Oomens
Feb 01, 2017 Randi Oomens rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
For a while, I thought I would give this book a lower rating. There were several passages that were quite long winded descriptions of parts of LA that played no part in the plot Also, I kept thinking how unbelievable the story was. But then The big reveal at the end and I was like oh! I have a pretty strong stomach, except when it comes to phlegm, but there was a scene in this book that made me nearly barf up my breakfast.
Elaine Jackson
Jan 24, 2017 Elaine Jackson rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loads of fun. Reading the book, while the author writes the book and is experiencing the events in real time. Lots of fun. Great twists. Provided insightful opinions regarding beauty and life Wonderfully rich characters, although the narration took on a rather stereotypical tone, nevertheless wonderful work..
Diane Challenor
Shelved! I listened to the audiobook just before sleeping. The story needs a bit more focus than I was prepared to give it. There was a lot of despair in it, which doesn't sit well for listening to it through the night. I've shelved it temporarily; I'll probably buy the eBook so I can give the story the focus it deserves.
Valerie
Jan 26, 2017 Valerie rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
It no fun when you can figure out who "who done" it within 50 pages of the book.

Don't waste your time.
Heather
Feb 09, 2017 Heather rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Started slow but had a great twist. The writing was interesting and engrossing once you got over the hump and then it is a good book with interesting characters.
Trevahearne
It actually resolves the entire story, how refreshing. And, I didn't guess right off what had happened. the lead was overly self centered and only gave lip service to his failings.
Vicki Watson
Feb 01, 2017 Vicki Watson rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
For the most part I enjoyed this one but having heard or read him before, this was slightly lackluster. There were some good action sequences, and a few interesting twists.
Angie Dokos
Jan 26, 2017 Angie Dokos rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was fast paced. It keeps you guessing and has great characters. I really enjoyed it.
Stephen Robertson
Great story great narrator.
Maddy
Dec 11, 2009 Maddy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2007-reads
PROTAGONIST: Drew Danner, author
SETTING: Los Angeles
SERIES: Standalone
RATING: 4.5

I'm assuming that many of the readers of this site read more than their fair share of mysteries over the course of the year. I'm also pretty sure that, like me, many of you have grown tired of the over-used formulas employed by many authors. Each part of the genre is subject to its own kind of clichés. With the recent popularity of thrillers, there is a whole new set of abuses occurring that diminish our enjoyment o
Tafadzwa Chakanya
Interesting book. Twisted and really worth a read. During some of the chapters, it does tend to drag for the sake of description but I enjoyed it.
Kelly Roll
The opening scene of The Crime Writer by Greg Hurwitz opens with a bang. Drew Danner wakes up in a hospital bed to “a haze of face, too close for casual”. Two policemen are waiting for him to become conscious. Turns out these officers think he killed his ex-girlfriend as they found his unconscious body slumped over hers. There is only one problem Danner had a tumor which caused him to black out so he has no memory of whether he really killed his ex or not. He is convicted of her murder
Jen
Jan 11, 2008 Jen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Crime Writer is a book within a book. The actual novel is being told in the first person by a writer who is writing the same story. The story of an author who wakes up to find himself in the hospital after a grand mal seizure caused by a brain tumor. During the time period he can't remember, he was found next to his ex-fiance who was stabbed to death. The author, Drew Danner, doesn't believe he killed his ex-fiance, but he can't be absolutely sure, so he goes in search of answers.

If this boo
Brendan
Mar 25, 2009 Brendan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, audio, 2009, mystery
The eponymous protagonist finds himself in a hospital, amnesia clouding his memory, homicide detectives claiming he’d murdered his former fiance. One murder trial later, he’s out and finds himself framed for another murder. This guy just can’t catch a break.

* Hurwitz oscillates between fairly prosaic descriptions of the narrative and Chandler-esque musings on Los Angeles and its denizens. The sequence about the folks stuck waiting in line at nightclubs is particularly sharp — a biting, cynical
  • Skin Deep
  • The Killing Art (Kate McKinnon, #3)
  • Afraid Of The Dark (Jack Swyteck, #9)
  • Darkside
  • Compulsion (Frank Clevenger, #3)
  • Edited for Death (Amy Hobbes #1)
  • The Death List
  • Calibre (Inspector Brant, #6)
  • Fifth Victim (Charlie Fox Thriller, #9)
  • Watch Me
  • One Drop of Blood (Kel McKelvey, #1)
  • The Solomon Effect (Jax Alexander Mystery #2)
  • The Caveman's Valentine
  • House Rules (Joe DeMarco, #3)
  • Bad Traffic: An Inspector Jian Novel
  • Silence (Jack Till, #1)
  • Acts of Nature (Max Freeman, #5)
  • Checkmate (Patrick Bowers, #7)
AKA Gregg Andrew Hurwitz

Gregg Hurwitz is the critically acclaimed, New York Times and internationally bestselling author of 17 novels, most recently ORPHAN X and THE NOWHERE MAN. His novels have been shortlisted for numerous literary awards, graced top ten lists, and have been published in 30 languages.

He is also a New York Times Bestselling comic book writer, having penned stories for Marvel (Wol
More about Gregg Hurwitz...