Start by marking “The Dog Is Not a Toy: House Rule #4” as Want to Read:
The Dog Is Not a Toy: House Rule #4

The Dog Is Not a Toy: House Rule #4 (Get Fuzzy #1)

4.13  ·  Rating Details ·  2,480 Ratings  ·  34 Reviews
On the comics scene of late, Get Fuzzy has made the fur fly. This freshly amusing strip has rapidly become the new darling among readers who enjoy pets with an attitude. This wry cartoon features Rob Wilco, a mild-mannered ad guy who's guardian to two rambunctious pets: Bucky, a temperamental cat who carries a boom box and goes on spending sprees, and Satchel, a gentle can ...more
Published April 15th 2001 by Andrews McMeel Publishing (first published March 27th 2001)

To ask other readers questions about The Dog Is Not a Toy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Dog Is Not a Toy

Carol.
Sep 18, 2013 Carol. rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Get Fuzzy fans
I like very few comics, and most of the ones I loved aren't in the papers anymore: Gary Larson's The Far Side, Nicole Hollander's Sylvia cartoons and Bill Watterson's Calvin and Hobbes. I've been enjoying the Sunday version of Get Fuzzy, and thought I'd try and go way back to get a feel for its origins. Get Fuzzy is about an ad guy, Rob, and his two pets, a dog named Satchel and a single-fanged Siamese cat named Bucky.

At least in the beginning, Get Fuzzy is notable for Satchel and Bucky that are
Emilio
May 16, 2016 Emilio rated it it was ok
Shelves: comic-humor-au, comic
Hay veces que lees tiras cómicas obligado.

Son tiras sobre un hombre, su gato y su perro. No, no es Garfield. El perro es bobalicón y bienintencionado, el humano es un adorno despersonalizado y el gato es cínico y olvidadizo. No es muy cliché, pero tampoco es muy original.

El apartado gráfico es correcto. Son tiras, dibujo rápido y de fórmulas simples. Cuando tiene que dibujar alguna figura humana un poco difícil (niños, por ejemplo) no lo hace muy bien, pero son tiras, no pasa nada.

La narrativa v
Stacia
Mar 04, 2016 Stacia rated it liked it
Shelves: graphic_novel, 2016
Maybe I'm just not into it anymore. Or maybe it's because I've read this book before. I didn't find myself enjoying it a whole lot. I have a few of these Darby Conley books set aside to read one last time before donating and after reading this one again, I may just donate the rest without spending the time. They're great comics and capture dog/cat/human humor quite well. It's just maybe that I live with it 24/hours a day, the cats, and so it's less humorless now.
Crystal
Dec 24, 2007 Crystal rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: anyone needing to laugh out loud, fans of cartoon strip books
It's easy to tell while reading this that it is early in the comic strip progress. the art is sharper and less mainstream, and the humor, at least the pet's behavior, tends to be much more dramatic/ mean. I still laughed out loud multiple times throughout this very easy read (and thanked God my cats aren't like that). It was worth the purchase and read--but it has gotten even better in the time since he wrote these.
Randy
Jul 03, 2010 Randy rated it really liked it
Can't get enough of and the "Get Fuzzy" comic strip. With tremendously smart humor, Darby Conley captures the essence and personalities of pets and humanizes it. A "Garfield" for the thoughtful comic connoisseur.
Duane
Jan 06, 2009 Duane rated it really liked it
Darby Conley is a great comic artist and this book is one of his best. Filled with pet humor and just normal everyday life humor, this book should please just about everyone. A great laugh! Rob has two pets, one a dog that is in a world all his own and a cat that needs some major pyscological help. A great book to laugh to.
Ari
Nov 18, 2008 Ari rated it really liked it
Shelves: humor
Right off the bat I have to say is that more often than not I went: What the...? My recommendation is to read, nonstop, through two of his treasuries. Then you'll get it. Once you do Conley is a genius at showing how different personalities get along and how poignant his messages are. These books are very funny and just fun to show the crazy and messed up ones to your friends.
Sam
Oct 27, 2008 Sam rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Quentin Fortney
Recommended to Sam by: Actually, I got it at a garage sale.
I love this book! Actually, I love ALL Get Fuzzy books. But this one is a CLASSIC! The first Get Fuzzy book to get published. It's a HILARIOUS book about a cat named Bucky (the evil one), a dog named Satchel (the nieve one), and Rob (the owner). Rob struggles with life with, you guessed it, Bucky Katt. A MUST READ!!!!!!!
Melissa Lee-Tammeus
Apr 08, 2013 Melissa Lee-Tammeus rated it it was amazing
I think this is about the sixth book I've read in this collection and I am becoming more addicted as I read them. This is so typical of living with both a dog and a cat - I actually laughed out loud. So glad I discovered these.
Autumn
Apr 24, 2013 Autumn rated it it was amazing

In this Get Fuzzy comic strip, you'll find the temperamental cat named Bucky who reeks havoc on the gentle pooch named Satchel and their owner, Rob. This has many laughs and jokes throughout the entire book, and can't get enough of it.
Selwa
Jan 09, 2012 Selwa rated it really liked it
Get Fuzzy is a comic about a cat (Bucky), a dog (Satchel), and their human (Rob). It's like Garfield, but funny. This being the first book, I highly recommend it for the uninitiated. I'm not sure what else to write, except that it's really funny. That is all.
Lauren
Aug 14, 2016 Lauren rated it liked it
A collection of comic strips/panels about a Shar-Pei/Lab dog living with a Siamese cat with their owner.
Satchel-- the loving, innocent dog who just wants everyone to get along.
Bucky-- the mischief-making cat who dgaf.

In other words, this is my life now.
Kate
Nov 02, 2007 Kate rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: you know who you are
Shelves: graphic
Another hilarious and beautifully drawn collection. I love the multiple perspectives from which he draws his strips, and the minute details he puts into them, like a tiny Chuck Close print hanging on the characters' apartment wall.
Holly
Jan 08, 2008 Holly rated it it was amazing
I love reading comic books when I don't want to stay up too late reading. This has to be pretty much my favorite comic strip right now.
Danielle
Oct 01, 2013 Danielle rated it really liked it
It is strange to see the characters how they started off, but this series never fails to crack me up.
Kaethe
Jul 08, 2014 Kaethe rated it really liked it
Shelves: animals, cats, comics
too many "words" in "quotes", but funny even so. The current fave of animal-based cartoons at out house.
Feb 15, 2013 Jennifer rated it really liked it
Shelves: humor
I like Get Fuzzy. If you do too, you'll like this.
Mark Pescatrice
Sep 25, 2007 Mark Pescatrice rated it it was amazing
Darby is a hilarious cartoonist and a breath of fresh air. Even if you don't like animals, you'll still probably find this funny.
Matt Mazenauer
Jul 10, 2007 Matt Mazenauer rated it it was amazing
One of the best comic strips out there, this made me like cats before I even owned one. Highly recommended.
Laura Belle
May 08, 2015 Laura Belle rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Laura by: The newspapers!
Shelves: graphic-novel
I loved Get Fuzzy when I was little. I've had this book for years and just had the time to actually read it.
Timothy
Sep 01, 2015 Shelly rated it really liked it
Get Fuzzy is awesome.
Jenn
Feb 25, 2009 Jenn rated it it was amazing
The Dog Is Not a Toy: House Rule #4 by Darby Conley (2001)
Katie
Oct 12, 2012 Katie rated it it was amazing
What can I say? I love these guys! Satchel and Bucky are the best.
Lucas Scott
Oct 14, 2015 Lucas Scott rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: my friends
Recommended to Lucas Scott by: Myself
Most of it was just one time comics.
  • Library Mascot Cage Match (Unshelved, #3)
  • Casual Day Has Gone Too Far
  • Pearls Before Swine: BLTs Taste So Darn Good
  • At Least This Place Sells T-Shirts:  A FoxTrot Collection
  • Night of the Crash-Test Dummies
  • One Last Little Peek, 1980-1995: The Final Strips, the Special Hits, the Inside Tips
Darby Conley is an American cartoonist best known for the popular comic strip Get Fuzzy.

Conley was born in Concord, Massachusetts in 1970, and grew up in Knoxville, Tennessee.

While in high school in 1986, he won a student cartooning competition. During his Senior Year at Doyle High School (now South-Doyle High School) in Knoxville, Conley was voted 'Most Talented' by his graduating class. He atten
More about Darby Conley...

Get Fuzzy (1 - 10 of 15 books)
  • Get Fuzzy 2: Fuzzy Logic