Start by marking “Letters from a Lost Generation: First World War Letters of Vera Brittain and Four Friends” as Want to Read:

4.29 of 5 stars 4.29  ·  rating details  ·  161 ratings  ·  18 reviews
This poignant work collects correspondence written from 1913 to 1918 between Vera Brittain and four young men -- her fiance Roland Leighton, her younger brother Edward and their two close friends, Victor Richardson and Geoffrey Thurlow -- who were all killed in action during World War I.
The correspondence presents a remarkable and profoundly moving portrait of five ideali
Published October 29th 1998 by Northeastern University Press

To ask other readers questions about Letters from a Lost Generation, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Letters from a Lost Generation

NancyHelen
This book is made all the more heartbreaking because it is real. It isn't a fictionalised account of the horrors or World War I - it is a snapshot of the lives and feelings of Vera Brittain and four young men - her brother Edward, her fiance Roland and two other friends, Geoffrey and Victor - through correspondence which passed between them throughout the war.

It demonstrates the waste of young life which characterised the Great War, and in fact all wars. This book remained with me when I closed
Caroline
What a poignant and unbearably sad book at times.These are the letters during the First World War between Vera Brittain and her Brother, Fiance and Two friends.All of the men died and all of their hopes and dreams and Veras with them.
The horrors of the trenches and the war are spoken about in a matter of fact way and is very moving.All of the men thought they would die but still had thoughts on what they wished to do after the war,which tragically did not happen.
I have been meaning to read this
Vanessa Meachen
A really interesting read for anyone who's read 'Testament of Youth' and wants to learn more about the conjunctions of these five young people flung into a world that nothing could prepare them for. The contrast in the letters and what it reveals about their characters is fascinating, from the very exploratory, didactic, only occasionally playful nature of Vera's own letters, which are very like her brother Edward's and also her fiance's, to Victor's which are very considerate and thoughtful if ...more
Suz
Letters from a Lost Generation, is a collection edited by Mark Bostridge and published in 2008, of the letters between Vera Brittain, her brother Edward, and their friends Roland Leighton, Victor Richardson and Geoffrey Thurlow. Both Edward and Roland sent their letters back to Vera for safe-keeping, so the collection of letters between those three is almost complete (barring some letters between Vera and Edward in the last year of Edward’s life). Many of Vera’s letters to Victor and Geoffrey we ...more
Marguerite Kaye
Don't read this without a box of hankies at hand. Obviously time has dated the letters, which can seem rather patronising occasionally, but if you can get past that, this gives you a moving and very personal insight into what it was like (if anyone can imagine anything like the Great War without experiencing it) to be separated by war, to endure war, and what coping mechanisms you used to survive. You can't read it in one go, it's a book to be dipped in and out of, but it's a truly amazing and i ...more
Susan Liston
Incredible to realize that these letters were written by teenagers. Try and picture American teenagers of today doing the same. Hahahahahahahahaha

The whole story of Vera and her lost boys is just so heartbreaking, and all the worse because you know it was repeated literally millions of times over, in one of the most stupid and unnecessary of wars.
Lois
On of the most moving books I have ever read. Real letters and real stories written between four individuals. Changed my impression of this era of history.
Pamela
Read all her biography books on WW1 this was very good added more to the story especially her own tragic love story
Liewen
Ce recueil de lettres complète parfaitement Testament of Youth, de Vera Brittain. Il s'agit d'un témoignage brut, bouleversant, incroyablement puissant.
C'est un précieux témoignage de la guerre au quotidien, que ce soit du point de vue de Vera, d'abord étudiante à Oxford puis volontaire dans les VAD et merveilleuse épistolière, ou de celui de ces quatre jeunes hommes, à la fois très caractéristiques de la société edwardienne (notamment dans les distinctions entre classes sociales) et bouillonnan
Bernadette
WHat a read! I learnt so much about WW1 both from the point of view of the men who fought and those left behind. I couldn't get over how much the men wanted to be posted to the Front. The letters give a fantastic insight into the daily rountine of war, the billeting and catering as well as the fighting.
I didn't like Vera's brother, finance or friends though! They were very stuck up and wrote about what a great loss to the country the death of men of their kind were compared to the insignificance
Dan Clarke
A very informative and moving collection of correspondence between Vera Brittain, Edward Brittain, Roland Leighton, Geoffrey Thurlow and Victor Richardson.
Bridget Wijnberg
Heartbreaking. Vividly encapsulates how society was torn apart.
Pauline Evans
I love books compiled through letters.I am a journal keeper myself with many entries, copies of letters I have sent. This coupled with my interest in the Great War attracted me to this book. Its very well written, is poignant but has humourous moments. The interaction between Vera and her four friends is wonderful. True friendship is evident. Its sad how the world has forgotten to write a good letter that captures that very moment. Texting just doesn't do it . . .and I don't!!
Darck
What a series of moving letters.....I borrowed this from the university library today, little expecting this lovely gem! I have only made it barely a fourth through the series of letters but I must say they are absoloutely enthralling! I almost feel as if I knew the writers. So much raw emotion and the fact that these letters are personal makes it even more close to your heart.
Will do a full review once I'm done.
Karen
Was awfully sad reading this. I read this after reading 'A Testament of Youth' and it made it all the more poignant as I knew the story behind them
Bev
This is one of the eras I'm most interested in. These letters make you feel like you were there.
Michellestevens234
read this some years ago but its a great book and apparently its now on TV
Andrew
I think every one should read this book. I did not realize.
Kristen Gutierrez
Kristen Gutierrez marked it as to-read
Aug 02, 2015
Damola
Damola marked it as to-read
Jul 31, 2015
AlexanderTheAverage
AlexanderTheAverage marked it as to-read
Jul 29, 2015
Nathalie Söber
Nathalie Söber marked it as to-read
Jul 28, 2015
Jessica Cutler
Jessica Cutler marked it as to-read
Jul 25, 2015
Liz
Liz is currently reading it
Jul 24, 2015
Kellymc19
Kellymc19 marked it as to-read
Erin
Erin marked it as to-read
Allison
Allison marked it as to-read
Betsy Ames
Betsy Ames marked it as to-read
Jul 21, 2015
Emilie Ganter
Emilie Ganter marked it as to-read
Jul 21, 2015
  • Chronicle of Youth: The War Diary, 1913-1917
  • Undertones of War
  • Bells of Nagasaki (Japan's Modern Writers)
  • The Roses of No Man's Land
  • Somme Mud
  • Smoke and Mirrors : An Experience of China
  • The Origins of the British: A Genetic Detective Story
  • The Decision to Use the Atomic Bomb
Florence Nightingale: The Making of an Icon The Fateful Year: England 1914 Vera Brittain and the First World War: The Story of Testament of Youth Lives for Sale: Biographers' Tales Letters from a Lost Generation