Start by marking “Sheba: Through the Desert in Search of the Legendary Queen” as Want to Read:
Sheba: Through the Desert in Search of the Legendary Queen

Sheba: Through the Desert in Search of the Legendary Queen

In this exhilarating archaeological adventure, Nicholas Clapp seeks the truth behind the legend of the Queen of Sheba. Ever since she swept into the court of King Solomon three thousand years ago, her story has been told and retold, often getting diluted, amended, and reworked along the way. In a quest to collect clues to the mystery of Sheba, Clapp travels to Ethiopia, Ye ...more
Published June 20th 2002 by Mariner Books (first published 2001)

To ask other readers questions about Sheba, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sheba

The Legend of Sheba by Tosca LeeIsmeni by Tosca LeeMakeda by Prue SobersThe Queen of Sheba by Roberta Kells DorrThe Last Queen of Sheba by Jill Francis Hudson
Queen of Sheba - Fiction & Nonfiction
8th out of 10 books — 10 voters
Cutting for Stone by Abraham VergheseThe Beautiful Things That Heaven Bears by Dinaw MengestuThe Emperor by Ryszard KapuścińskiThere Is No Me Without You by Melissa Fay GreeneThe Hospital by the River by Catherine Hamlin
Books Set in Ethiopia
76th out of 113 books — 61 voters

More lists with this book...

Lindsay
Aug 14, 2008 Lindsay rated it really liked it
Very fun book to read. I work with a lot of folks from Yemen and enjoyed reading the author's on the ground experiences. Also, the story of the Queen of Sheba evokes curiousity. The author covers this story well -- it's trajectories and variations and keeps you wondering.
Alex Telander
Jan 25, 2011 Alex Telander rated it liked it
In this most historic effort, one man records – through fact, evidence and study – who the real woman known as the Queen of Sheba was. Firstly, she is a place in the ancient world in which she was at one point considered queen; ruling with her, as well as being the one who made her queen, was none other than the king of Solomon.

In Sheba Nicholas Clapp goes all the way, taking the reader on a guided tour, first into every known genre where the enigmatic Sheba is mentioned. Having provided a stron
Hannah
Feb 13, 2015 Hannah rated it really liked it
Kevin
Jan 14, 2011 Kevin rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This was OK. A combination travel book and history/archaeology. Did Sheba exist? Well, if you accept that Solomon existed, then she probably did. And after traveling to several sites (Ethiopia, Syria) searching for evidence of her existence, it seems the most likely location for her was Yemen. Which has historically been unavailable for any kind of excavations. Clapp’s an OK writer, nothing special. I learned about Sheba AND that I probably don’t want to travel to Yemen if I want to come back.
Erik Graff
Oct 06, 2010 Erik Graff rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Clapp fans
Recommended to Erik by: no one
Shelves: travel
This is one of those popular travel cum history books where the author goes 'in search of', telling of his adventures and occasionally noting this, that or the other 'discovery' about the ostensible object of the quest. Don't expect to learn much about the Queen of Sheba. We don't know much. You'll learn more about legends about the Queen than about the person herself--and considerably more about the author, primarily known as a film-maker, but an amateur archeologist as well.
Sharon Buchbinder
Dec 27, 2010 Sharon Buchbinder rated it it was amazing
This book is a great journey through history, geography, religions all focused two main questions: "Was the Queen of Sheba real? Or was she a symbol of trade opening in Israel under the reign of Solomon?" The author physically travels to the parts of the world that have the Queen of Sheba aka the Queen of the South aka Balkis/Bilqis/Makena as part of their cultures. An in-depth, thoughtful examination of a legendary female that took me along for a great ride.
Tracey
I wanted to like this book but I just did not connect with it all. I think the problem for me was that the book really did not know what it wanted to be when it grew up. Did it want to be historical detective novel in search of the mysterious Queen of Sheba or did it want to be a travel guide? Not bad but just not something I could get into.
Michael
Sep 04, 2011 Michael rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book details a twenty-year quest to find the historical Queen of Sheba; if she even existed.

Part detective story, part religious scholarship, part archaeology, part linguistics, and a good dose of adventure make this trip through the ancient lands an enjoyable read. If you enjoy a good history yarn, this is one you will enjoy.
☜☆☞Beebee☜☆☞
I love this book!
I'm a history freak and when I read SHEBA I also fell in love with anthropology!
The writing is amazing and the journey itself sounds so fun and educational.
Made me want to go visit Yemen and see the old shrines and monuments!
John
Jun 19, 2009 John rated it liked it
Recommends it for: those into Bible lore and ancient civilizations
Shelves: travel
A decent book, but got a bit bogged down in the archeology for me. Tudor Parfitt's books on searching for The Ark of the Covenant were more interesting.
M.S. Spencer
Sep 12, 2014 M.S. Spencer rated it it was ok
It was a lot slower than I expected. I was particularly interested in the Ethiopian connection and Clapp spent very little time on that.
Tekuamwork
Apr 21, 2010 Tekuamwork rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It is a great book. It cleary illustrated the story of queen of Sheba!!
Ivan
Jul 17, 2009 Ivan rated it liked it
History, legend, religion, and Geography!
DeEtte
DeEtte marked it as to-read
Sep 29, 2016
Candice
Candice marked it as to-read
Sep 19, 2016
Ruth Hartnup
Ruth Hartnup marked it as to-read
Sep 18, 2016
Abuki
Abuki marked it as to-read
Sep 09, 2016
Girma
Girma marked it as to-read
Sep 06, 2016
Megan
Megan rated it really liked it
Sep 29, 2016
Amelia
Amelia rated it it was ok
Sep 26, 2016
Colin
Colin rated it really liked it
Aug 21, 2016
Mary
Mary rated it really liked it
Aug 16, 2016
Joan Dotson
Joan Dotson marked it as to-read
Jul 22, 2016
A. Kaluza
A. Kaluza marked it as to-read
Jun 28, 2016
Sam
Sam marked it as to-read
Jun 03, 2016
Jeff
Jeff marked it as to-read
May 29, 2016
Jim Burakiewicz
Jim Burakiewicz marked it as to-read
May 03, 2016
Muse Lystrala
Muse Lystrala is currently reading it
May 01, 2016
Will A
Will A rated it it was ok
May 04, 2016
Kate
Kate marked it as to-read
Apr 07, 2016
  • Origins Reconsidered: In Search of What Makes Us Human
  • Travels with a Tangerine: A Journey in the Footnotes of Ibn Battutah
  • Sleeping on a Wire: Conversations with Palestinians in Israel
  • Ibn Battuta in Black Africa
  • Measuring the Universe: Our Historic Quest to Chart the horizons of Space and Time
  • Side by Side: Parallel Histories of Israel-Palestine
  • Strangers in the House: Coming of Age in Occupied Palestine
  • Children of Kali: Through India in Search of Bandits, the Thug Cult, and the British Raj
  • From Eden to Exile: Unraveling Mysteries of the Bible