Philosophical Writing: An Introduction

Philosophical Writing: An Introduction

3.8 of 5 stars 3.80  ·  rating details  ·  35 ratings  ·  7 reviews
A. P. Martinich 's best-selling text, Philosophical Writing: An Introduction, aims to help those with minimal experience in philosophy to think and write successfully. It helps students gain confidence in their essay-writing skills by improving their ability to present their knowledge and thoughts clearly. This updated edition includes new examples of the structures of a p...more
Paperback, Third Edition, 202 pages
Published July 15th 2005 by Blackwell Publishers (first published February 10th 1997)

Danny
I really enjoyed this book. A great help on learning how to write philosophically, which entails concepts such as clarity, precision, rigor, and cogency. I thought the 5 point outline was helpful concerning how to write a philosophical argument:

1. State the proposition to prove
2. Give the argument that proves the proposition
3. Show that the argument is valid
4. Show that the argument is sound
5. Conclusion

The extended outline is incredibly helpful in that it really fleshes out these 5 headings.
Azeem Malik
Succinct, well written, and easy to read. I cannot ask for a better introduction to philosophical writing.

Credits: undergraduate student of Philosophy
John  Shinn
So far I'm really enjoying it. I can't say whether or not its a fantastic introduction to the subject in comparison to other texts but I'm finding it pretty informative.
Kristine
Every philosophy major should have this. How I wish to have read this when I was still doing my philosophical papers.
Aziz
A must for any student of philosophy.
Rose
Really useful so far!
Osvaldo
Osvaldo marked it as to-read
Jun 13, 2014
Gert
Gert is currently reading it
May 24, 2014
Taylor
Taylor added it
Apr 25, 2014
Ivan
Ivan marked it as to-read
Mar 02, 2014
Adam
Adam marked it as to-read
Mar 02, 2014
Travis Henry
Travis Henry marked it as to-read
Feb 09, 2014
Joel
Joel marked it as to-read
Feb 08, 2014
Elliot Hollingsworth
Elliot Hollingsworth is currently reading it
Feb 04, 2014
Grok Testuser
Grok Testuser is currently reading it
Dec 20, 2013
John
John marked it as to-read
Nov 02, 2013
Ana Galvan
Ana Galvan marked it as to-read
Oct 09, 2013
Guilherme
Guilherme marked it as to-read
Oct 07, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 next »
A. P. Martinich is an analytic philosopher at the University of Texas at Austin. His area of interest is the nature and practice of interpretation; history of modern philosophy; the philosophy of language and religion and the history of political thought. He is considered a foremost authority on Thomas Hobbes.
More about A.P. Martinich...
The Philosophy of Language Analytic Philosophy A Companion to Analytic Philosophy Hobbes: A Biography Thomas Hobbes