Start by marking “The Pumpkin Rollers” as Want to Read:
The Pumpkin Rollers

The Pumpkin Rollers

3.94 of 5 stars 3.94  ·  rating details  ·  175 ratings  ·  15 reviews
Hardcover, Large Print, 476 pages
Published September 1st 1996 by Thorndike Press (first published 1996)

To ask other readers questions about The Pumpkin Rollers, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Pumpkin Rollers

karen
this was my thought process on choosing this book for my western RA selection: "pumpkin rollers" sounds funny. cormac mccarthy writes westerns. suttree has some pumpkin scenes that illustrate the love a man can find with a gourd. maybe this one is similar.

it is not.

it's not a bad book, but honestly, until this point, my exposure to westerns had been clint eastwood, deadwood, and mccarthy. the lone man exacting justice, the occasional rape, lawlessness and some shakespearian dialogue. somehow, be
Brad McKenna
The personalities in Western novels are usually very strong. However, here the main character, Trey, is probably the weakest character in the book. The rogue cowboy, the unyielding lawman, the gender-bending female cattle rustler, all are much strong characters. Not only that but Trey seems to just luck out more than he does prove himself: His love interest runs away to join him, he makes a name for him self by not getting killed in a stampede. The story was ok, but not what I expected from a We ...more
Steven
Good story of a farmer moving west and becoming a rancher. Great coming-of-age study, complete with a main character who faces significant weaknesses due to his lack of age and experience, yet when he faces forks in the road, he manages sometimes through only dumb luck, to choose wisely.

I liked the book because the destiny of western heroes is so rarely in doubt. Most of the books read something like the Gladiator film: you know he will win at every turn, even if he dies heroically in the end. T
Topher
This is another book I can "blame" my friend Chris for - when I was last at the library, I had forgotten my spreadsheet, but remembered his praise of westerns. I used a library guide to different styles of fiction to look up westerns, and found this as a result. Good story, well written, easy read. I liked it enough that I'm going to start reading some of the author's series (this particular book was a standalone novel)
Fredrick Danysh
Written in the style of Zane Grey, The Pumpkin Rollers is the story of a farm boy who comes west to Texas with ambition to be a rancher. He hires on with a trail herd and along the way meets a farm girl. Upon his return to Texas, gets married, andd is offered a job taking care of the trail boss's hill country spread. He has to deal with rustlers, the law, and a neighbor who wants his wife.
Rae
A "punkin roller" is a green farmboy and Trey McLean is just that. This novel tells the story of his coming-of-age on a cattle drive, his marriage, and his adventures as a newlywed cattleman. I loved the writing, the characters, and the plot, which has some fun dark and complicated twists. This would be a good read for someone who has never tried a western novel before.
Jeff Dickison
Good frontier story. As a New York Times critic put it, Kelton does not write westerns, he writes excellent stories set in the west. In this one a young green farm boy heads west to make his fortune. He ends up married and working as a partner on a cattle ranch. Highly recommended to anyone who likes good writing.
Rosemary
Oct 28, 2009 Rosemary rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone enjoying historical Western early Texas
Recommended to Rosemary by: from the San Antonio library
The San Angelo man, Elmer Kelton has done it again. Everything that he says about the West Texas terrain and range cattle of the harsh land is true. I know, I have lived there. From the double mountains to the Brazos River, and the rolling plains, I have been there and relate to it.
Emily Hunholz
I had never read a western before and thought it was about time to try them. The plot moved really well, and the characters, though not very complex, were extremely likable. It had more romance than I was expecting, which I liked. I may just have to read another one.
Brooke
I generally don't read westerns, so I was anticipating having to hold my nose while reading this, and it was very good! The plot was interesting, and i believe accurate for the time period, gave me a good sense of what life would have been likein the 1800's.
Violet
Another great story by Elmer Kelton. This one is about a young man who had to leave his home in Tennessee as a teenager and make his way in the west. Elmer Kelton's stories are all "feel good" stories, as the hero always prevails.
Rich
This was the first time I ventured away from Louis L'Amour westerns and was pleasantly surprised. Kelton's books are more historical novels set in the West as opposed to being Westerns. I really enjoy this one.
Christa
A great western book. The story was engaging and the women are strong...stronger than I think I am.
Duzzlebrarian
Kelton is the best Western writer around, and one of the best writers of any genre.
Joanne
Great story telling and history to boot.
Candace
Candace marked it as to-read
Mar 12, 2015
Jordan Palmer
Jordan Palmer marked it as to-read
Feb 18, 2015
  • Trail of the Spanish Bit (Spanish Bit Saga, #1)
  • The Shootist
  • Ambush of the Mountain Man (Mountain Man, #31)
  • Wanderer of the Wasteland
  • The Dawn of Fury (Trail of the Gunfighter, #1)
  • The Searchers
  • Flint
  • Journal of the Gun Years
  • Zeke and Ned
  • Mountain Man
  • Heart of the West
  • Incident at Twenty-Mile
Elmer Kelton (1926-2009) was award-winning author of more than forty novels, including The Time It Never Rained, Other Men’s Horses, Texas Standoff and Hard Trail to Follow. He grew up on a ranch near Crane, Texas, and earned a journalism degree from the University of Texas. His first novel, Hot Iron, was published in 1956. Among his awards have been seven Spurs from Western Writers of America and ...more
More about Elmer Kelton...
The Time It Never Rained The Good Old Boys The Day the Cowboys Quit The Buckskin Line (Texas Rangers, #1) Badger Boy (Texas Rangers, #2)