L'assassino di corte (Trilogia dei Lungavista, #2)

L'assassino di corte (Cycle de l'Assassin Royal #2)

4.17 of 5 stars 4.17  ·  rating details  ·  53,779 ratings  ·  1,020 reviews
Il bastardo reale sta crescendo. Fitz ormai non è piú un ragazzino inesperto: gli si legge in volto il sangue del padre.
È sopravvissuto alla sua prima pericolosa missione come assassino del re; ma ora, sofferente e amareggiato,
sogna di rompere la promessa fatta a re Sagace, rimanendo nel lontano Regno delle Montagne.
Ma l’amore mai dimenticato per Molly e la visione di even...more
Paperback, TIF, 790 pages
Published 2006 by Fanucci (first published 1996)

Andrés
I will rant about this book, there's no doubt in my mind. I'm simply trying to gather my thoughts. Let's try with the first book, "Assassin's Apprentice," shall we?

I liked Book I. It was a beginning story, a training story. Young FitzChivalry is the bastard son of King-in-Waiting Chivalry and has to come to terms with a world that doesn't want him. King Shrewd, however, decides to train him as an assassin from an early age, and so begins young Fitz' journey into adulthood and the intrigues of th...more
Hanne
Robin Hobb knows how to surprise. Not the jump-out-of-the-cake-type of surprises, but she plays with your feelings as a reader. You get this dreaded feeling, and you start thinking that surely she is not going to go there…? And yet, she does. She plays with her characters like cats play with mice.

I really liked book two of this series. The only reason it does get the full five stars is because I struggled with believability in a big part of the middle section. The fact that Regal can do whateve...more
Julie
Apr 11, 2008 Julie rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition Recommends it for: EVERYONE
Recommended to Julie by: Bryon
Shelves: fantasy
I'm not sure I can say enough to convey my love for these books. Starting with Assassin's Apprentice, they tell the story of FitzChivalry Farseer, bastard pseudo-prince of the Farseer line (with a detour to Bingtown in the Ship books, but read them anyway - it's important). One thing I love about these books is how people are named after personality traits: Chivalry, Verity, Shrewd, Regal, Patience, Modesty.... etc. After a while you completely forget they aren't just names. :)

Robin Hobb's writi...more
David Sven
Two words to describe Book 2 - Bigger and Better. Yes, the book is bigger, by over half, than the first, but also Fitz is bigger (literally). He becomes proficient in bigger weapons. He is given bigger responsibilities. He bonds with a bigger beast. And he has grown a bigger pair. What's more, Fitz is a better fighter. A better killer. A better assassin.

Hobb takes us back to the Kingdom of The Six Duchies and the story picks up shortly after the events of Book one. Right from the start we know...more
Jamie
I just can't seem to stop reading fantasy fiction. Robin Hobb is another one of those authors whose name comes up when people ask about fantasy that isn't truely, terribly, unbearably awful, and I guess there's a grain of truth in that. While I was really ready for this trilogy to end by the time it chose to do so, it wasn't quite as bad as some stuff I've read.

In fact, there's actually a fair amount to like here. I really dug the way that psionics and mental powers like mind control and telepat...more
Em
So much has happened in Fitz's life since Assassin's Apprentice it's hard to take it all in. This is my third time of reading this series and I cannot believe how much I'd either forgotten or missed in my previous readings.

Fitz still suffers much more than any boy his age should and it's difficult to read at times, especially the last few chapter when he's being tortured. He's incredibly lonely, having lost Molly once again but at least he's found acceptance and companionship with brother Night...more
Vivian
Like some other reviewers said, this is an incredibly depressing book. I basically skimmed the last third waiting for something good to happen to Fitz (the main character). The "good" guys all know who the bad guy is (Royal), yet still manages to passively ignore that he may be behind EVERY bad thing that happens thus allowing him to achieve his every evil deed. I don't need 600+ pages of overly stupid characters. I know it's a trilogy and eventually, good more or less prevails over evil but ugh...more
Dirk Grobbelaar
This trilogy probably constitutes one of the better bildungsroman examples in fantasy. The saga of FitzChivalry Farseer is a remarkable one, no doubt. Sitting down to write this review, I find myself at a loss for words. If I were to list all the reasons why I enjoy these novels, I would be revealing any number of spoilers. I will say this: despite its veneer of simplicity, this novel is actually quite complex. Great care is taken with the characters, and while the plot is certainly exciting at...more
Kevin Xu
I found this book to the best of the three because the first was the introduction and way, and the third is the how, this is the why behind the whole trilogy.
Chris
Holy crap, that was a good book. I made the mistake of reading until past my bedtime to finish. Not only did I lose some sleep before starting a work week, but I then gave myself a series of messed up dreams as my poor little brain processed the end of this book.

Damn.

Not a lot I can say without spoilers. But Hobb is definitely moving up a few spots on my author list. Assassin's Apprentice was a very good book. Intriguing characters in a (seemingly)simple but interesting world with a good story....more
Alex Ristea
Damn you, Robin Hobb.

Damn you for making me feel all these feelings. Damn you for getting so deep in my head. Damn you for making it seem as though Fitz is someone I actually know.

Like a wiggly tooth you can't help but play with, this novel hurts, but it hurts so good.

Is it really not enough for a character to fall in a pit? Does he have to break both legs, get molested by a bear, and have his girlfriend leave him too?

(This doesn't actually happen to Fitz, but it's along the theme of the book.)

A...more
Hari
There's only so much negativity that I can take before I decide that a book isn't worth it. Considering the fact that I really liked the first, I had high hopes for this one; But the whole air of hopelessness that hangs over every single event in Royal Assassin just makes it hard to swallow. I'd have imagined the lead character 'Fitz' to have grown up a bit for this second book but, if anything, he's more of an idiot. Some of the decisions made by the good guys just make no sense whatsoever.

*MIN...more
Mike (the Paladin)
Oh good grief!!!!! I'm only a little way into this book but I'm already sick of the main character's whining. He sounds like Thomas Covenant. If this keeps up I don't know if I can take it.

"woe is me, I'm in such bad shape, I got such a raw deal...oh poor me". Of course he said he didn't want anyone to pity him...but you couldn't tell it from the way he sounds. Hope this changes.

**********************************************

Well, I'm through this one and about half way through the third in the...more
Kat  Hooper
ORIGINALLY POSTED AT Fantasy Literature.

FitzChivalry Farseer, who barely survived an assassination attempt by his uncle, Prince Regal, has returned to Buckkeep where the King, his grandfather, lies dying. His other uncle, Prince Verity, is exhausting himself by trying to keep the kingdom together in the face of increasing attacks by the Red Ship Raiders. The Raiders continue to capture and, through some unknown process, “Forge” citizens of the Six Duchies. When these Forged citizens, who are now...more
Tracy
When I began reading Royal Assassin by Robin Hobb, her second book in The Farseer Trilogy, I could not seem to get into the story, perhaps due to a slow beginning, but probably more likely due to a preoccupied mind, filled with a thousand other things. So don't let the fact that it took me several months to read Royal Assassin deceive you, for by the end of the book, I was reluctant to put it down, and that's the sign of a good story. Furthermore, upon finishing it, one of my initial thoughts wa...more
Loederkoningin
With the exciting news of a brand new series about Fitz & the Fool, The Fool's Assassin, in mind, we are buddy reading this series in December and continue with the Tawny Man trilogy.

Buddy read with -- more or less :p :
*Kat
*Damian
*Joshua
*Em
*Lee
*Erika, and I'm confident we'll catch up with...
*DayDreamer ;)
Mark
Book two of the Bastard's struggles against the evil prince. I found the book largely frustrating. I found Molly infuriatingly idiotic. I found Shrewd to be singularly UNshrewd. I found Regal to be a poor, single dimensional, Snidely Whiplash boogyman. For action, there is little. King-In-Waiting Verity is the only intelligent character - he leaves. Good for him! Who could blame him!

What did I like? I like the development of the magics. Hobb delves more into the Skill and the Wit - the wolf Nig...more
Jake
When I was in undergrad, I remember at some point seeing Alaron wandering around reading a book called Royal Assassin. The cover depicted a man standing on top of a mountain, head thrown back, arms spread wide, raising a sword towards the sky. Next to him, a wolf sat, it’s head thrown back in a long howl.

In other words, it looked like the cover of a thousand fantasy novels, all of them miserable pieces of garbage. And while Alaron has good taste in books, I never had any reason to believe that t...more
Robert Beveridge
Robin Hobb, Royal Assassin (Bantam, 1996)

There should be a law against ending books like this, especially when they're the second part of a trilogy. Imagine what it must have been like for the poor souls who read this on the day of release, and then had to wait another year to find out what happened next.

Royal Assassin continues the story of Fitz, son of an abdicated prince, assassin for the king, user of magic both human and bestial. It also continues the building of the world of the Six Duchie...more
Ben Babcock
One of the difficulties of pledging allegiance to a sovereign monarch is that whole loss of individual volition. Most of the time you might hardly notice it—but when you fall in love with someone below your station, or when the monarch begins fading and his unscrupulous youngest son sets his eyes on the throne, suddenly this loss of volition is a big deal. FitzChivalry Farseer watches the Kingdom of the Six Duchies fall apart before his eyes—yet his field of possible actions is highly constraine...more
Candace
Rating- 4.5 I had to think about this rating for awhile. All through this book, I was sure I was going to give it a five. What happened? The ending. Major plot lines were left unresolved. I expect there to be some unanswered questions and unsolved problems at the end. This is the middle book of a trilogy. I'm sure all will be resolved in the third book. However, my quibble is with the importance of the plot lines that were left unresolved. I believe for the most part books should stand on their...more
Damian Dubois
5 stars. What else did you think I'd give it? ;)
Rachel Crooks
If any complaint is made of this series, it is that there is a threadbare plot kept afloat with a surplus of words. While I can agree with this to some extent, I can't say that I would discard much (if any) of this book.
Fitz, now a young man, is faced with a kingdom under siege, both on its coasts and within the keep. Parallel to this struggle is the one inside himself, as he continues to decide who he is and what he wishes to be. Fitz is full of desires at war with each other, and the people...more
Tz
If you're looking for interesting, compelling characters, look somewhere else. Hobb and her works are widely celebrated, though I am unsure of the reasons behind this. The names of her characters are rather lazy, hidden under an excuse, but that is forgivable. What are less forgivable are the characters themselves. They are dreadful. The main character Fitz, must spend 80% of his time in the book lamenting over either his relationship with the wolf and other dogs, or his girl friend. It becomes...more
Richard
8.5/10

This just missed out on a 5 star rating. The pacing at the start of the book let it down overall. I don't know if it was the book or other things cropping up to cut into my reading time so it took a while to get going but after about 300 pages I couldn't stop reading this and was eager to know what was going to happen.

I like how Robin Hobb beats her good characters down into a pulp and lets her evil characters get away with murder. Literal murder. At times it was really annoying me (but in...more
Andrew O
I have to say the first half of this book was very rough, slow and the characters where idiots, slow with smart characters I can take but not with stupid ones. But the last 4th of the book was pretty good. Hopefully the 3rd is better because the 2nd really makes you want to read the 3rd.

I would have to give this book 2.5 stars and round up to 3.
Beril
okuduğum en iyi kitaplardan biri. uzun zamandır rafımda beklettiğim için üzülüyorum. saray entrikaları,gençlik sancıları yaşayan fitz'in verdiği sözler karşısında yaşadığı ikilemler, kurt, diğer karakterlerin yavaş yavaş daha fazla ayrıntısını öğrenmemiz, bu kitabı ilkinden daha çok sevmeme neden oldu. ama detaylı değerlendirme için son kitabı da bitirmem gerekiyor.
Jade
Well....absolutely frigging awesomeness again! More a 4.5, but couldn't quite give it the 100% seal of approval as there were times when I felt things dragged for me and left me frustrated. I do however, love how in depth these books get - I feel like I really am living Fritz's life with him. I understand 'dragging' and 'loving depth' can be contradictory, but that's just how it went for me.

I loved the introduction of Nighteyes - he's so funny, he's so charming...my friend told me on recommendin...more
Trix
I find it hard to rate this book. I varied as I progressed in the story from annoyed to desolated to devastated. But impressed nonetheless.

A major aspect of the story is the hopelessness of the main characters' struggle. I understand it is a work of fiction and as such, the plotline can develop in any which way. But I found it hard to accomodate to a world in which the antagonist broke every rule and succeeded in every plan, while the heroes played by the book and were systematically crushed.

The...more
Wesley Edmunds
Royal Assassin by Robin Hobb is a great fantasy intrigue story hampered by an unlikeable main character. Fitz Chivalry, the royal bastard, returns to once again play a pivotal roll in the survival of the kingdom of the Six Duchies. Beset by the Red Ship raiders on their coast, rumblings of uprising inland, and treason in the court, things are looking dim for those that call Buck Keep home.

The world of the Six Duchies and a very strong supporting cast that the author makes easy to care about, kep...more
  • Stone of Farewell (Memory, Sorrow, and Thorn, #2)
  • Magician (The Riftwar Saga, #1-2)
  • Hidden Warrior (The Tamír Triad, #2)
  • The Charnel Prince (Kingdoms of Thorn and Bone, #2)
  • Master and Fool (Book of Words, #3)
  • Shadow's Edge (Night Angel, #2)
  • The Red Wyvern (The Dragon Mage, #1)
  • Memories of Ice (Malazan Book of the Fallen, #3)
  • Heir of Novron (The Riyria Revelations, #5-6)
  • Revelation (Rai-Kirah, #2)
  • Before They Are Hanged (The First Law, #2)
  • Crown of Shadows (The Coldfire Trilogy, #3)
  • The Warded Man (Demon Cycle, #1)
** I am shocked to find that some people think a 2 star 'I liked it' rating is a bad rating. What? I liked it. I LIKED it! That means I read the whole thing, to the last page, in spite of my life raining comets on me. It's a good book that survives the reading process with me. If a book is so-so, it ends up under the bed somewhere, or maybe under a stinky judo bag in the back of the van. So a 2 st...more
More about Robin Hobb...
Assassin's Apprentice (Farseer Trilogy, #1) Assassin's Quest (Farseer Trilogy, #3) Fool's Errand (Tawny Man, #1) Fool's Fate (Tawny Man, #3) Golden Fool (Tawny Man, #2)

“The man who must brag for himself knows that no one else will” 87 likes