Start by marking “The World Cafe: Shaping Our Futures Through Conversations That Matter” as Want to Read:
The World Cafe: Shaping Our Futures Through Conversations That Matter

The World Cafe: Shaping Our Futures Through Conversations That Matter

The World Cafe is a flexible, easy-to-use process for fostering collaborative dialogue, sharing mutual knowledge, and discovering new opportunities for action. Based on living systems thinking, this innovative approach creates dynamic networks of conversation that can catalyze an organization or community's own collective intelligence around its most important questions.
Published May 1st 2005 by Berrett-Koehler Publishers (first published April 10th 2005)

To ask other readers questions about The World Cafe, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The World Cafe

The World Cafe by Juanita BrownGood to Great by James C. CollinsPrimal Leadership by Daniel GolemanPresence by Peter M. SengeLeading Quietly by Joseph L. Badaracco Jr.
1st out of 63 books — 5 voters
Reinventing Organizations by Frederic LalouxOutliers by Malcolm GladwellThe CEO's Playbook by Nora GanescuReinventing Management by Julian BirkinshawThe Answer to How Is Yes by Peter Block
future of management
12th out of 12 books — 1 voter

More lists with this book...

Mar 18, 2007 Megan rated it liked it
The idea of the World Cafe is great; the book is only so-so.
Philip Mizener
Aug 24, 2015 Philip Mizener rated it liked it
An Inspiring Introduction to hosting conversations that matter
I found the essays by different practitioners in the field of group dialogue and facilitation gave a real flavour to the spirit and title of the book. It was my first introduction to a more detailed examination of what World Café dialogue is all about and I find it quite a foundational book, contrasting the more traditional view of Talk then Action, with a richer view of layers of dialogue , action, and further dialogue. I found the
Jan 13, 2013 Michelle rated it really liked it
"World Cafe can make a special contribution when the goal is the focused use of dialogue to foster productive relationships, collaborative learning, and collective insight into real-life challenges and key strategic questions." (P. 6) looking forward to working with the World Cafe concepts to harness our company's collective intelligence!
Jul 28, 2016 Jeff rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
What Matters Most?

In a world in which we live and work in technological isolation, World Cafe holds the promise of conversations of real meaning. Who knows maybe conservatives and progressives could find some common ground. I liked the explication of the Spirit of World Cafe. It's not technique. It's a vehicle for creating a world of our choosing.
May 06, 2013 Naomi rated it really liked it
Juanita Brown and David Isaacs share stories and techniques of their methods for community dialogue and engagement to foster innovation, healing, and strengthening. Recommended for those interested in reviving and renewing communities or businesses and also for leaders.
Nov 18, 2012 Aja rated it it was ok
I love the The World Cafe, but I'm not so sure that this book is the best tool to learn how to do it. Although I guess it does get to the heart of the process.
Jul 13, 2015 Bridget rated it liked it
A decent read for grad school, though a 200 page book that could've been pared down by about 50 pages.
Beth rated it it was amazing
Aug 29, 2012
Stephanie rated it really liked it
Sep 04, 2014
John DeRosa
John DeRosa rated it really liked it
Jul 19, 2015
Kariann rated it liked it
Jun 13, 2014
Ling rated it liked it
Feb 22, 2015
Ilja Preuß
Ilja Preuß rated it it was amazing
Aug 24, 2012
Britni rated it liked it
May 30, 2016
MaryAnn rated it it was amazing
Jan 03, 2009
Neil Ralph
Neil Ralph rated it liked it
Jan 09, 2013
Joey Wiley
Joey Wiley rated it really liked it
Sep 09, 2012
Andrew rated it really liked it
Mar 22, 2012
Harry rated it it was amazing
Nov 01, 2014
Andrea rated it really liked it
May 15, 2013
Gojko Adzic
Gojko Adzic rated it liked it
May 20, 2014
John rated it it was amazing
Apr 12, 2009
Valerie Bugni
Valerie Bugni rated it really liked it
Feb 04, 2015
Nancy rated it it was amazing
Oct 27, 2007
Deborah rated it really liked it
Aug 24, 2012
Caroline Gazzola Guevara
Caroline Gazzola Guevara rated it it was amazing
Nov 15, 2015
Sophia Horwitz
Sophia Horwitz rated it it was amazing
Jun 03, 2015
Ronald rated it really liked it
Jan 09, 2012
gilbert rated it it was amazing
Jan 02, 2015
Malik Moore
Malik Moore rated it it was amazing
May 30, 2015
  • Open Space Technology: A User's Guide
  • Turning to One Another: Simple Conversations to Restore Hope to the Future
  • Community: The Structure of Belonging
  • Power of Appreciative Inquiry: A Practical Guide to Positive Change
  • Theory U: Leading from the Future as it Emerges
  • Appreciative Inquiry: A Positive Revolution in Change
  • Presence: An Exploration of Profound Change in People, Organizations, and Society
  • Synchronicity: The Inner Path of Leadership
  • Facilitator's Guide to Participatory Decision-Making
  • Humble Inquiry: The Gentle Art of Asking Instead of Telling
  • In Over Our Heads: The Mental Demands of Modern Life
  • Mind Set!: Reset Your Thinking and See the Future
  • Solving Tough Problems: An Open Way of Talking, Listening, and Creating New Realities
  • The Power of Positive Deviance: How Unlikely Innovators Solve the World's Toughest Problems
  • The Skilled Facilitator
  • The Thin Book of Appreciative Inquiry (Thin Book Series)
  • Speaking Peace: Connecting with Others Through Nonviolent Communication