Start by marking “Upon This Rock: St. Peter and the Primacy of Rome in Scripture and the Early Church” as Want to Read:

4.25 of 5 stars 4.25  ·  rating details  ·  65 ratings  ·  9 reviews
Ray, a former Evangelical Protestant and Bible teacher, goes through the Scriptures and the first five centuries of the Church to demonstrate that the early Christians had a clear understanding of the primacy of Peter in the see of Rome. He tackles the tough issues in an attempt to expose how the opposition is misunderstanding the Scriptures and history. He uses many Prote ...more
Published March 1st 1999 by Ignatius Press

To ask other readers questions about Upon This Rock, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Upon This Rock

Garrett Graham
Ray gives the definitive defence of papal primacy by going through all of the relevant Scripture passages and writings of the Church Fathers, showing their significance in the establishment of the papacy. He also provides a detailed biography of St. Peter, as well as describing the foreshadowing of the papacy in the Old Testament. Great book. Highly recommended.
Aug 09, 2010 Curmudgeon66 rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommended to Curmudgeon66 by: Bought from Steve at one of his speaking conferences.
Steve is one of the most dynamic speakers I've ever heard when he is talking about biblical times and history. I would love to travel to the holy land on one of his tours.

I've read his "Crossing the Tiber" and am now slogging my way trhough "Upon this Rock". Slogging? Yes! I find his style of writing difficult for me, Steve documents his books with every imaginable footnote. And while the additional information provide is informative, it is so disruptive of my reading that I often loose track o
This is *the* book for anyone who wants to deeply investigate the claim of the primacy of Peter. Steve Ray offers a staggering amount of evidence from the early church fathers. Half of the material of the book is footnotes, and these are well worth your read, as Steve uses them to introduce the various authors and offer explanations to help us understand the context and meaning of the material.

Don't skip the appendices either! These are also well worth your time.
Very indepth book. I plan to read it again in the near future.
Apologetics at its best.
This was an amazingly thorough book about the life of S. Peter, the office he was appointed to, and the ramifications of the succession of that office as well as the ancient and historical contexts and beliefs attached to that office. Ray knocks this one out of the park. One is left in awe of the Church Christ founded and the amazing love and provision he gave and is giving her. As someone who is currently Protestant, i have a totally new outlook on the historical and spiritual significance and ...more
This book is not for the light reader. It is a serious book. I also don't know that it had to be set up to be this way. It is like grad school that believes in weeding out the lesser students by making them work for it. Instead of incorporating the meat of the argument or narrative thread and background details into the book extensive FOOTNOTES dominate most every page, at least once the ENTIRE page is a continued footnote. This material is super interesting and insightful, but the formatting is ...more
Essential study for Christians who want to deeply understand their faith from its roots. This is a difficult read, but well worth it. Heavily footnoted and cross-referenced, Ray fills a great need. As a convert to Catholicism, Ray anticipates and researches every argument. Now I want to go back with a highlighter...
This book does presents just what it promises, a full dealing with the scriptures and early Church history with great references for doing fuller studies.
Amanda marked it as to-read
Sep 22, 2015
David Sobczak
David Sobczak is currently reading it
Sep 10, 2015
Beth Wilke werner
Beth Wilke werner marked it as to-read
Aug 27, 2015
Judah marked it as to-read
Aug 07, 2015
Jay marked it as to-read
Aug 31, 2015 marked it as to-read
Jul 16, 2015
Adam marked it as to-read
Jun 10, 2015
Sarah marked it as to-read
May 26, 2015
Hafize marked it as to-read
May 07, 2015
Amy marked it as to-read
Apr 20, 2015
Mark Connolly
Mark Connolly marked it as to-read
Apr 07, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Stephen K. Ray was raised in a devout, loving Baptist family. His father was a deacon and Bible teacher and Stephen was very involved in the Baptist Church as a teacher of Biblical studies and lectured on a wide range of topics. Steve and his wife Janet entered the Catholic Church in 1994.

In addition to running a family business, Steve spends time researching, writing, and teaching about the Catho
More about Stephen K. Ray...