Start by marking “Evil in Carnations (A Flower Shop Mystery, #8)” as Want to Read:
Evil in Carnations (A Flower Shop Mystery, #8)

Evil in Carnations (A Flower Shop Mystery #8)

4.01  ·  Rating Details ·  1,398 Ratings  ·  62 Reviews
The dating scene can be a killer...

Published February 3rd 2009 by NAL (first published January 3rd 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Evil in Carnations, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Evil in Carnations

The League for the Suppression of Celery by Wendy RussThis Fine Life by Eva Marie EversonMiss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children by Ransom RiggsThe Boy Who Kissed The Sky by David      HaynesThe Library of Unrequited Love by Sophie Divry
26th out of 36 books — 11 voters
Bed of Roses by Nora RobertsElly in Bloom by Colleen OakesThe Language of Flowers by Vanessa DiffenbaughForget Me Knot by Sue MargolisThe Ladybug Jinx by Tonya Kappes
Fictional Florists
27th out of 82 books — 8 voters

More lists with this book...

I started reading this series as a result of crippling boredom late one night last year. I was going through my library's Overdrive online library and the first book in this series popped up. It was late, and I'd heard of this series, so I figured I'd try it. The first book was entirely unremarkable, I'm not going to lie, but I gave the second book a try, and it was remarkable, I loved it! The rest of the series (with the exception of one book) was also simply amazing. But for some reason I have ...more
Apr 16, 2010 Jennifer rated it liked it
The 8th Book in the Flower Shop Mystery series and another fun read. IN this one Abby's roommate and best friend Nikki breaks up with her boyfriend so Abby convinces her to go Speed Dating. Nikki meets a man there who she likes and goes out on a date with him - and hours later he is found dead. Abby once again has to go sleuthing to prove the innocence of someone she loves.

I found this book just a little less enjoyable than the other books. It felt like almost everyone in Abby's life was complai
Jan 19, 2011 Min rated it liked it
Of all of the Flower Shop Mystery books, this is my least favourite thus far (although I still enjoyed it).

Abby's roommate (and longtime friend), Nikki meets Jonas Treat at a speed dating event. Although Abby has a steady boyfriend, she tags along to keep Nikki company and server as an advisor. Although Abby is turned off by Jonas and tries to stear Nikki away from him, Nikki is immediately smitten. Despite the rules, Nikki exchanges contact information with Jonas, and they arrange a date soon a
Mar 14, 2009 Shonda rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-2009
Abby Knight is back for the eighth book of the series. Abby and Marco are trying to mend their relationship and decide to sneak to Key West for a weekend getaway. Abby empathizes with Nikki, her roommate, because her boyfriend just ended their relationship. To help heal Nikki’s broken heart, Abby decides to attend a speed dating event with Nikki. Much to Abby’s chagrin, Nikki chooses the one guy that Abby did not like. Breaking the “no contact” rule, Nikki exchanges phone numbers with Jonas Trea ...more
Dec 31, 2014 Loraine rated it really liked it
Shelves: challenges-2014
SUMMARY: The dating scene can be a killer...

Determined to help her roommate Nikki out of her singles slump, Abby Knight encourages her to give speed dating a try. Of course, Nikki wants the guy at the very bottom of Abby?s list, Jonas Treat?a.k.a. ?Treat the Cheat??and figures just one date with him couldn?t hurt. But then Jonas is found dead?and evidence points to Nikki as his killer.

To clear Nikki?s name, Abby enlists the help of her hunky ex-Army Ranger boyfriend, Marco. But Marco?s rambuncti
Feb 04, 2009 Nanakin rated it it was amazing
I don't have much time to read for fun, but I've read all the books in this series. I enjoy them because I like characters whose company I enjoy, I like humor along with the mystery to solve, and I can read them quickly. I also enjoy a romantic sub-plot, and these have the right amount of that without giving "too much information." In EIC, I understand why Abby did what she did (getting Nikki involved in the speed-dating), but her good intentions don't mean much when things go really badly. I pe ...more
Mar 28, 2009 Lyn rated it liked it
This is the first I've read by this author; I like her using a florist as her heroine. Not bad, not bad at all.
May 22, 2009 Susie rated it it was amazing
I am now caught up with the Flower Shop Mysteries. They are such fun and a great escape from stressors.
Aug 22, 2009 Corky rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mystery
Enjoyed the story and would read more by this author.
Jun 08, 2009 Sue rated it it was amazing
LOVE Abby Knight. Great, mindless reading.
Jun 01, 2009 Diane rated it really liked it
Cllins is getting more interesting with her latest books. Fun read!
Tracy Hubbard
Aug 20, 2009 Tracy Hubbard rated it really liked it
Good book
Mary Kennedy
Jul 02, 2010 Mary Kennedy rated it it was amazing
EVIL IN CARNATIONS, the eighth release in the Kate Collins Flower Shop Mysteries, is packed with the colorful characters and witty dialogue that we have come to expect from this gifted author. Ms. Collin’s books have made the Barnes & Noble mass market mystery bestsellers lists, the Independent Booksellers lists, and are available in large print editions in the U.S. and the UK.

Her devoted fans will consider EVIL IN CARNATIONS an auto-buy, and new readers will be delighted to discover the la
Feb 16, 2016 Liz rated it did not like it
Shelves: get-a-clue
I almost DNF'ed this about halfway through, but this was the last opportunity I was giving this series so I felt like I needed to see it through to the end.

Sadly, nothing really changed that first instinct.

Abby was incredibly childish and petty in almost every aspect here.

First of all—and this isn't new to the series—she's very narrowminded and generally awful when it comes to her family. Her mother makes horrible art pieces and is excited to show them off and this is supposed to be a bad thi
Jun 11, 2013 Drebbles rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2009
Florist Abby Knight is delighted that her romance with hunky Private Investigator Marco Salvare is back on track. Her roommate Nikki Hiduke is less thrilled as she just broke up with her boyfriend. To cheer Nikki up, Abby convinces her to go to a speed dating event. Abby thinks she's found the perfect date for Nikki, but to her dismay Nikki is attracted to Jonas Treat, better known as "Treat the Cheat". When Jonas is found murdered shortly after their date, Nikki is the number one suspect. Abby ...more
Bee N.
Oct 30, 2012 Bee N. rated it it was amazing
I haven't read the whole series, I will, but this is my favorite so far. Abby and Marco are the reason I keep reading and I liked that the author took them to another level. They were more affectionate in this novel and I think it's because Marco has learned to be more appreciative. Yay for them uncovering the dangerous situation together. Even though Marco was still sweetly protective of Abby, for once she's the one who came to his rescue. I also loved there was more sass/wittiness i.e. Jillian ...more
Dharia Scarab
Nov 30, 2014 Dharia Scarab rated it really liked it

4 sta
Mar 08, 2016 Luffy rated it did not like it
Another faithful entry to the Hall of Shame. This series is racking up one point ratings before you could say disappointment. The biggest con against this book is that there's nothing to discuss after reading it. There can be no room for analysis because not one thing is up for debate in this cookie cutter story - I don't obviously mean this in a good way. The new participants in this sordid tale didn't get any depth ascribed to them and the recurrent ones barely get a mention. This may be a go ...more
Sep 19, 2011 Linda rated it really liked it
I love this Flower Shop Mystery series! In this one Flower Shop owner Abby decides to help her depressed roommate find a new guy by going to a speed dating event. When the guy that Nikki goes out with ends up dead, the police decide that there's enough evidence to hold Nikki as the murderer! Abby with her hunk boyfriend Marco go into overdrive to find the killer and free Nikki.

This series is well written, fun to read, and a good read for a lazy afternoon.
Jun 07, 2014 Fmorlan rated it it was amazing
Abby Knight is back and needed for investigating for her friend Nikki. Nikki is a suspect in a murder. But other events are also causing havocfor Abby - Lottie sick, Jillian helping and Marco's sister pushing for marriage. Abby concentrates on the murder as she doesnt want Nikki to go to jail. While investigating she ends up in a jewelry store and bridal shop giving her family ideas. There are some odd characters in this book but very enjoyable.
Jun 07, 2012 Terri rated it really liked it
I find this cozy series very entertaining. Abby, the heroine of the story, is engaging and independent. Her hunky boyfriend is clever and has developed through the series into a partner worth having. The secondary characters are equally as well written, from her annoying cousin Jillian to her "mad" mother to her employees Grace and Lottie to roommate Nikki who in this story is accused of murder. I think the books are better as they progress and I can't wait to read the next one.
❂ Jennifer
May 31, 2011 ❂ Jennifer rated it really liked it
Shelves: cozy-mystery
At the beginning of this book I was losing a bit of patience, thinking I'd guessed whodunnit right off the bat, but the story was a good one and it was nice to see the protagonists relationship going smoothly with no manufactured bumps in the road. I was very pleasantly surprised to find that I was wrong at the end of the book too. This series continues to improve.
Apr 11, 2012 Sassychassy rated it really liked it
Very cute installment in the flower shop mystery series. It was great to see Abby & Marco getting along so well and I loved the surprise dinner scene! This one wasn't quite as wacky as the others but still an entertaining read nonetheless. Will definitely be reading on through the end of the series!
Jul 04, 2011 Wendy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was the first book in the series that I read and I really enjoyed it. It was an easy read with fun characters, a little romance, and a little mystery to unwind. I like to read this type of book after reading an 1800's classic or a book on history, which require me to be more engaged to get through it.
Mar 15, 2016 Janet rated it really liked it
Still enjoying this series. This book, book 8, has Abby and Marco working more together than before, which is fun. I like how the series continues to grow, the mysteries have been good and the characters are growing.
Apr 23, 2009 Janice rated it it was ok
I was disappointed in the level of "romance" in this book - it really didn't add to the story in my opinion. I had really enjoyed the series up until this book. I don't know if I'll read the new book due to come out in February 2010.
Feb 06, 2015 Babs rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: anyone who likes mysteries
Book 8 was a cute ready and with some funny parts as well. Abby really gets herself into some mess along with her roommate who is accused of murdering a man she meet at the speed dating seminar. Not to mention the web she has made with Marco's sister. There is no telling what book 9 will bring.
Feb 21, 2016 Readerkuna1 rated it it was amazing
I really like this book. Love Abby and Marco. They are a great couple. Abby helps her roomate Nikki. I love how Abby and Marco find out who the killer is. I will read more of Kate's books. They are cute and quick. A great cozy mystery. I am glad I found her books.
Nov 21, 2011 Linda rated it really liked it
Another enjoyable, cozy mystery. It's impressive that Kate Collins comes up with new and interesting episodes and characters with each installment in this series of many books. They are fun, light reads...I really like them.
Dec 10, 2010 Anne rated it really liked it
I wished that I had realized this was book 8 in the Flower Shop Series. Fortunately for me I didn't really need to have read the others since she puts a lot of background into this one. I enjoyed this quick read very much and will read the rest of the series.
  • Extracurricular Activities (A Murder 101 Mystery, #2)
  • Last Writes (Forensic Handwriting Mystery #4)
  • Trouble in Bloom (Nina Quinn, #4)
  • Bride and Doom (Carnegie Kincaid, #6)
  • Deadly Advice (Advice Column Mystery, #1)
  • Casket Case (A Callie Parrish Mystery #3)
  • The Diva Cooks a Goose (A Domestic Diva Mystery,  #4)
  • Never Say Sty (Kendra Ballantyne, Pet-Sitter Mystery #7)
  • Tumbling Blocks (Benni Harper, #13)
  • The Ghost and the Femme Fatale (Haunted Bookshop Mystery, #4)
  • Ink Flamingos (Tattoo Shop Mystery, #4)
  • Red Delicious Death (Orchard, #3)
  • The Flaming Luau of Death (Madeline Bean, #7)
  • If Books Could Kill (Bibliophile Mystery #2)
  • Scoop to Kill (A Mystery a La Mode, #2)
  • Murder of a Chocolate-Covered Cherry (A Scumble River Mystery, #10)
  • The Northbury Papers (A Karen Pelletier Mystery #2)
  • Getting Old is Criminal (Gladdy Gold, #3)
Indiana native and former teacher Kate Collins is the author of the New York Times best-selling Flower Shop Mysteries, featuring feisty florist Abby Knight and the zany crew at Bloomers. Her books have made the New York Times Best-seller's list, Barnes & Noble mass bestsellers lists, the Independent Booksellers lists, and are available in large print editions in the U.S. and the UK.

The Flower
More about Kate Collins...

A Flower Shop Mystery (1 - 10 of 18 books)
  • Mum's the Word (A Flower Shop Mystery, #1)
  • Slay It with Flowers (A Flower Shop Mystery, #2)
  • Dearly Depotted (A Flower Shop Mystery, #3)
  • Snipped in the Bud (A Flower Shop Mystery, #4)
  • Acts of Violets (A Flower Shop Mystery, #5)
  • A Rose from the Dead (A Flower Shop Mysteries, #6)
  • Shoots to Kill (A Flower Shop Mystery, #7)
  • Sleeping With Anemone (A Flower Shop Mystery, #9)
  • Dirty Rotten Tendrils (A Flower Shop Mystery, #10)
  • Night of the Living Dandelion (A Flower Shop Mystery, #11)