Start by marking “Staying Alive” as Want to Read:
Staying Alive

Staying Alive

3.83 of 5 stars 3.83  ·  rating details  ·  103 ratings  ·  19 reviews
The Bailey's is a fantastic human story of adaptaion to totally alien conditions. It is a story of amazing courage, resolution and endurance. Essential reading for all who enjoy a gripping true story, 117 Days Adrift is an inspiring tale that has become one of the classics of the sea.
Hardcover
Published 1974 by David McKay Company

To ask other readers questions about Staying Alive, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Staying Alive

My First Travel Angelic Airline Adventures by Anna OthitisInto Thin Air by Jon KrakauerInto the Wild by Jon KrakauerAlive by Piers Paul ReadThe World At Large by Adam E. Mehaffey
True Life Adventure
71st out of 132 books — 133 voters
Hatchet by Gary PaulsenMy Side of the Mountain by Jean Craighead GeorgeLost Under Two Moons by Lindsay SchopferBrian's Winter by Gary PaulsenIsland of the Blue Dolphins by Scott O'Dell
Best Wilderness Survival Books
70th out of 72 books — 65 voters

More lists with this book...

Ryan
I feel like a jerk for saying that I was a bit bored by this story. I feel like a jerk because this story is true, and the minutiae of how a husband and wife organized their raft so they could survive for 117 days at sea were obviously very important to said husband and wife, as were which days they caught turtles and the days they saw sharks, etc.

I also feel like a jerk because out of this amazing story about human will and ingenuity in the face of horrific conditions, this is what stood out to
ievabach
How can I not give a high score? It's a great thriller and I almost cried when Maurice and Maralyn were saved...Of course, these are pretty simple notes and descriptions of what happened, but somehow they worked - it just all seemed really real. It was great to see the photos, too, although these days (I was lucky to learn a bit about Maurice through my work) Maurice has lost most of the items after exhibiting them all over the world and Maralyn has already passed away.

I just hope nobody ever g
Susan Bybee
One of the best survival stories I've ever read. When their yacht sank after being damaged by an injured whale, Maurice and Maralyn Bailey salvaged as many supplies as they could from the yacht and loaded them in a raft with a dinghy attached.

Maurice became pessimistic about their chances almost immediately, but Maralyn instead found ways to occupy their time and minds, always trying to stay focused on plans for the future. She was cool and inventive, making fishing hooks by removing the clip e
Goat
An old seventies edition had been sitting on my shelves for ages; finally got round to it after it was name-dropped (and obviously used as reference material for)'Life of Pi'. This is obviously where Pi's author got his info about the killing of sea turtles for meat, fishing ephemera, water-collection techniques etc. And while it does serve as a true-life survival manual (I now know what to do to stay alive when next cast adrift in a life raft), it's written, as you might expect given its origin ...more
Ian Chapman
Interesting story of how a very amateur yachting couple made a very long survival voyage after their yacht was sunk by a probably wounded whale in the Pacific. From a diary, and not very stylish in literary terms yet wiih much observation of the oceanic environment. An inspiration to others also. They were rescued by a South Korean deep sea fishing boat, and there are pleasing photos of them shortly after the rescue, eating a meal and on deck with the crew.
Amos Shirreff
This is my all time favourite book, I've read it several times now and each time I get something more out of it. It is an inspirational tale that I feel inspires one to go on an amazing sailing adventure and live life to its fullest rather than scaring people away from the ocean. I have bought countless copies of this book as presents over the years and everyone I have given it to has said how much they truly enjoyed it. I highly recommend.
Ben B.
I enjoyed this book a lot. It shows all the problems and solutions the two survivors faced. The scariest part, this whole story is true. I loved reading of the creative and interesting solutions the people came up with to survive until someone could save them. I would recommend this book to a peer that enjoys survival tales but not to the average reader. Great book! This book is only really good for a specific audience, but if you happen to be in that particular crowd, you will love this book!
Sheena
A true story of a married couple who were trying to sail around the world. An injured whale sunk their boat and they had to go to their life raft. They were stranded in the life boat for 118 days (the initial news articles said 117 but it was actually 118). They survived by eating turtles, fish, and sharks. They made little playing cards out of paper and designed their future boat to keep their minds busy. It's a really amazing story written from both of their perspectives about how they survive ...more
Sandy
Nov 07, 2009 Sandy rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: nature lovers
Recommended to Sandy by: Normandie
true story about a couple from England who plan to sail from the Panama Canal to the Gallapegos Islands, but are struck by a sperm whale, which ends up sinking their ship. They survive for 117 days by catching rain water and fishing for turtles and fish in a small raft and dinghy. It really is amazing to imagine how hopeless everything seemed to them, especially after they watched 7 ships pass them. Survival stories always amaze me and inspire too.
Beth
I enjoyed this book. It's an old school survival story. The Bailey's are truly fantastic. They decided upon the life they wanted to live and they went for it and even while they were adrift in the ocean, they planned their next boat and trip. Heroic.
Michelle O'flynn
The Bailey's experience of their yacht being attacked by a whale and sunk has some circumstances that are similar to Dougal Roberston and his family in "Survive the Savage Sea" in that they were sunk in similar waters at about the same year.
Chris Pimlott
Refreshing and intriguing for how well-prepared, resourceful and resilient the surviving authors were throughout their ordeals.
Susie
Fantastic true tale of learning to live with less and still finding beauty in your world, no matter how small it becomes.
Scuppers
A young couple shipwrecks and has to live in a liferaft for 117 days. They survive off of turtle blood and fish.

Mark
The real story here is not surving the elements but spending 117 days with the same person in a tiny rubber dingy.
Kathy
I love real life adventure survival stories. I feel I learn so much from their stories. Very interesting.
Carolyn Mcroberts
Couldn't put this down. The wife in this book was amazingly strong and is the reason they survived. Awesome.
Phyllis
Amazing true story of survival
Paul Lloyd-holt
Paul Lloyd-holt marked it as to-read
Jul 13, 2015
Connie Curtis
Connie Curtis marked it as to-read
Jun 10, 2015
Steve
Steve marked it as to-read
Jun 03, 2015
Laura Coulson
Laura Coulson marked it as to-read
May 18, 2015
Doomy
Doomy marked it as to-read
May 18, 2015
Oliver Wilson
Oliver Wilson marked it as to-read
Jul 19, 2015
Aszolina
Aszolina marked it as to-read
May 05, 2015
Kristy
Kristy marked it as to-read
Apr 26, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • Survive the Savage Sea
  • Sufferings in Africa: The Incredible True Story of a Shipwreck, Enslavement, and Survival on the Sahara
  • Four Against the Wilderness: The True Story of a Father & His Three Teenage Children Shipwrecked Off the Coast of Alaska in Winter
  • The Wreck of the Whaleship Essex
  • The 80/20 Individual: How to Build on the 20% of What You do Best
  • No Greater Ally: The Untold Story of Poland's Forces in World War II
  • Bad Cop: New York's Least Likely Police Officer Tells All
  • Recondo: LRRPs in the 101st Airborne
  • Life in the French Foreign Legion: How to Join and What to Expect When You Get There
  • Lost At Sea