Chickamauga and Other Civil War Stories

Chickamauga and Other Civil War Stories

4.03 of 5 stars 4.03  ·  rating details  ·  58 ratings  ·  6 reviews
Shelby Foote's monumental historical trilogy, ""The Civil War: A Narrative,"" is our window into the day-by-day unfolding of our nation's defining event. Now Foote reveals the deeper human truth behind the battles and speeches through the fiction he has chosen for this vivid, moving collection.
These ten stories of the Civil War give us the experience of joining a coachloa...more
Published October 1st 1993 by Delta

Sue
Shelby Foote gathered stories from a selection of authors whose fiction accounts of the Civil War, he felt, best represented that time period. Authors include Mark Twain, William Faulkner, Eudora Welty, Ambrose Bierce, himself, Stephen Crane, and Stephen Vincent Benet. My favorite was verse written by Benet titled Fish-Hook Gettysburg. The author's powerful words paint incredible pictures i.e.
"his guns begin to peck at the pillared porches", "in a field, far off, a peaceable farmer puts his hand...more
Sean
No standouts, though the Fitzgerald, Welty, Twain, and Faulkner stories were all of note.
Rosa Cline
This isn't a book that Shelby Foote wrote (like I originally thought) It's a collection of small stories from various authors all related to the Civil War. I found some of them not interesting at all and after reading half into them had to skip them but others I found really interesting and loved them and now know I like that author and will try and read more from that author. If you enjoy stories from the past then you would enjoy this book.
Jay
This was an interesting book with a bunch of short stories written by noted authors such as Shelby Foote and Mark Twain. It gave me a little insight to some of the things that happened not usually discussed in most Civil War books.
Toni
Feb 06, 2010 Toni added it
If you read short stories by Ambrose Bierce you need to find joy in perverse and unexpected twists and turns. I could only take so many or just small amounts in short time bursts.
Dick
Shelby Foote is an acknowledged expert on the war and an outstanding writer.
Brian Cromeens
Brian Cromeens marked it as to-read
Jul 16, 2014
Rose Ann
Rose Ann marked it as to-read
Jul 12, 2014
Loren
Loren marked it as to-read
Jun 28, 2014
Jason Ricker
Jason Ricker marked it as to-read
Jun 12, 2014
Chuck Bailie
Chuck Bailie marked it as to-read
May 06, 2014
Ricky Jacques
Ricky Jacques marked it as to-read
Mar 03, 2014
Jean-jacques Trouve
Jean-jacques Trouve marked it as to-read
Feb 27, 2014
Jackie Harlan
Jackie Harlan marked it as to-read
Jan 25, 2014
Debbie
Debbie marked it as to-read
Jan 11, 2014
Jordan
Jordan marked it as to-read
Dec 31, 2013
Jim
Jim added it
Dec 30, 2013
Needaname
Needaname marked it as to-read
Aug 23, 2013
Gary
Gary marked it as to-read
Aug 11, 2013
Sean Blake
Sean Blake marked it as to-read
Aug 11, 2013
Bonnie Perry
Bonnie Perry marked it as to-read
Aug 07, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Shelby Dade Foote, Jr. was an American novelist and a noted historian of the American Civil War, writing a massive, three-volume history of the war entitled The Civil War: A Narrative. With geographic and cultural roots in the Mississippi Delta, Foote's life and writing paralleled the radical shift from the agrarian planter system of the Old South to the Civil Rights era of the New South. Foote wa...more
More about Shelby Foote...
The Civil War, Vol. 1: Fort Sumter to Perryville The Civil War: A Narrative The Civil War, Vol. 2: Fredericksburg to Meridian The Civil War, Vol. 3: Red River to Appomattox Shiloh