Start by marking “The Majesty of Calmness” as Want to Read:
The Majesty of Calmness

The Majesty of Calmness

4.15 of 5 stars 4.15  ·  rating details  ·  132 ratings  ·  29 reviews
Nature is very un-American. Nature never hurries. Every phase of her working shows plan, calmness, reliability, and the absence of hurry. Hurry always implies lack of definite method, confusion, impatience of slow growth. The Tower of Babel, the world's first skyscraper, was a failure because of hurry. The workers mistook their arrogant ambition for inspiration. They had t ...more
Published June 1st 2004 by Kessinger Publishing (first published 1900)

To ask other readers questions about The Majesty of Calmness, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Majesty of Calmness

Cynthia Egbert
EVERYONE SHOULD READ THIS BOOK. I cannot believe that I have not ever reviewed this book. I love it so much. I find it intriguing that Mr. Jordan wrote this work back in 1896 and used, as a chapter title, "Hurry, the Scourge of America". If he could only see us now! This book is so full of great stuff that I cannot even pull out quotes for this one. It is a small volume that I would encourage everyone to read, repeatedly!
Were it not for GOODREADS this little gem would never have crossed my radar. After finishing the 63 pages of a hand-sized edition (think Beatrix Potter to picture the size)borrowed through inter-library loan I looked up the author via wikipedia to find he was a contemporary with my great grandparents and his writings were influential during Teddy Roosevelt's terms of office. I am now curious to read them all. I'm thinking this particular collection of essays is a MUST OWN and is in fact part of ...more
Tien Phat Nguyen
A book full of wisdom about how to find calmness and happiness within your mind.

If there is one chapter that you can read and skip the rest, it's the first one. I even have the impression that every sentence in this chapter can be extracted into a list of great quotes by the author.

The remaining chapters discuss about the qualities that may not seem related much to calmness, such as self-reliance and personal influence, but on second thought, if a person takes time to understand the roles of th
This is one of those ones I think I'll need to read every year or two. Lots of simple wisdom in here. It's the sort of thing where I think you hear new things each time you read it because of where you are in life.

It's a quick read - self-help, I suppose, although not really self-help-ish. More like the author's personal manifesto for living.

The Christian reader will find themselves relating scripture to various thoughts they read, while the non-believer will not feel that they've just read som
Barbara Lovejoy
I was given a copy of this book many years ago by a friend and loved it. When I wanted to read it again, I couldn't find the book but did find the whole book on the internet--for free. It is definitely one of my favorite books. I have been reading short sections of it each week over the last month or so as my current focus has been on learning more about patience during Family Home Evening.
I was right there with him until he started to preach about how happiness could only be found though serving others. He lures you in with the usually self-help talk then he subtly twists it into altruism. In the end he is little more tolerable than your regular infestation of priests, vicars, rabi, general christians and muslims, or what-have-you.
This was not what I was expecting! Very uplifting, easy read. Was not necessarily religious, although it fits very nicely with the plan of salvation and scriptures. (Holy Bible and Book of Mormon) I really liked the last two chapters best-perseverance and the dangers of being a cynic & what happiness/isn't.
Free on kindle

I had a feeling that the book was about the merits of silence, not about how to achieve it in anyway. It does not plan for you how to reach the state of calmness equilibrium...

I suppose that was the only thing that disappointed about this book. Otherwise, I guess I could recommend it to all to listen to.
Awesome book. If you have a Kindle or ipad, this book was published pre-1910 so it is free. It is an incredible book, and it is unbelievable that it was written over 100 years ago. It is so applicable to our day. There are mounds of wisdom in this book.
Similar to his other book I've read, I really enjoyed the first and last chapters. The first chapter shares the name of the book and it was great. Such a good piece on the importance of slowing down and living our lives more deliberately.
Jun 22, 2011 Mariana rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: evaryone
I loved this book. I had it for a while, picked it up to read a few times, but never got very far into it. I finally read it all in one very late evening. It is a quick read, but very inspiring and relivant. I highly recommend this book.
Made it through 17/32 pages. Mostly quotes and topic sentences with little substance. It reminds me of when Michael Scott from The Office gives a wedding speech with several opening lines, but never gets anywhere in the speech.
Natashen'ka Kovalenko
Listened to it in audiobook format. Want to buy a copy and read every so often. It brings back to the right perspective and reminds of the simple truths we so often forget in the toil of life.
AMAZING book!! So easy to read and so applicable. The hubby recommended it, and it is really great. I think it will be one that I re-read a million times. I want it to become a part of who I am.
Incredible book. It is full of incredible wisdom. The last chapter on Happiness is amazing. Jordan talks about what happiness is and isn't. I'm so glad I had the opportunity to listen to it.
A short and beautiful manifesto on how to live the good life. Jordan's writing is simple and inspiring. A must read for anyone interested in bringing out the best of themselves.
A wonderful classic... I listened to the audiobook twice during my spring cleaning session today and it was a delight to listen to. Glad I own a copy...
He says what I wanted to say and is so correct in his thinking. Mr. Jordan reminds me who I am, where I am going, and why I want to go there.
Lloyd K
Seems to have stood well against time. I found it all relevant and necessary for helping to navigate todays modern lifestyles.
I am loving this book, the language is poetic and the message is spot on. William George Jordan rocks!
Interesting read especially after reading and rereading Eckhart Tolle. Different.
Marts  (Thinker)
Good counsel on calmness, as stated by the author, the rarest of human qualities...
Not everything is golden but there is a lot of good wisdom in this book
Very thought provoking and inspirational. One of my favorite authors.
Inspiring. Helpful. There are always ways to be better.
Emil J Lesner
Reinforces other volumes.
So far, life changing.
I read this book often.
Jason Tant
One of my all time favorites!
Fiona Caroline
Fiona Caroline marked it as to-read
Oct 03, 2015
  • Vibrational Medicine: The #1 Handbook of Subtle-Energy Therapies
  • Gleanings from the Writings of Baha'u'llah
  • Paris Talks: Addresses Given by Abdul-Baha in 1911
  • The Transcendent Unity of Religions
  • Psychosynthesis: A Manual of Principles and Techniques
  • In Tune with the Infinite
  • The Works of Henry David Thoreau
  • The Mystic Heart: Discovering a Universal Spirituality in the World's Religions
  • المعتقدات الدينية لدى الشعوب
  • Lessons in Truth
  • Above Life's Turmoil
  • 1913
  • All Men are Brothers: Autobiographical Reflections (Impacts)
  • Trance-Formations: Neuro-Linguistic Programming and the Structure of Hypnosis
  • Four Essays on Love
  • God, Family, Country: Our Three Great Loyalties
  • God Is a Verb
  • What We May Be
Editor of Book Chat magazine 1886-87 and The Saturday Evening Post 1898-99.
More about William George Jordan...
The Kingship of Self-Control The Power of Truth: Individual Problems and Possibilities Self Control, Its Kingship and Majesty The Crown of Individuality The Power of Purpose

“Everything that is great in life is the product of slow growth; the newer, and greater, and higher, and nobler the work, the slower is its growth, the surer is its lasting success. Mushrooms attain their full power in a night; oaks require decades. A fad lives its life in a few weeks; a philosophy lives through generations and centuries. If you are sure you are right, do not let the voice of the world, or of friends, or of family swerve you for a moment from your purpose.” 3 likes