Seven Spiders Spinning

Seven Spiders Spinning (The Hamlet Chronicles #1)

3.58 of 5 stars 3.58  ·  rating details  ·  193 ratings  ·  23 reviews
Seven prehistoric spiders that have been trapped in ice for thousands of years bring excitement to rural Vermont and briefly unite the rival boys' and girls' clubs at a local elementary school. "A fast, delightfully entertaining romp." -- Kirkus Reviews
Published August 4th 1995 by HarperCollins (first published 1994)

Blubber by Judy BlumeThe Wonderful Wizard of Oz by L. Frank BaumPippi Longstocking by Astrid LindgrenBridge to Terabithia by Katherine PatersonAlice's Adventures in Wonderland by Lewis Carroll
2011 Read Alouds
21st out of 23 books — 4 voters
Neurology by April Chloe TerrazasChemistry by April Chloe TerrazasIf Chocolate Were Purple by Jen BartonCellular Biology by April Chloe TerrazasJames and the Giant Peach by Roald Dahl
Great Bedtime Read-Alouds
15th out of 26 books — 11 voters

More lists with this book...

D.M. Dutcher (Sword Cross Rocket)
I've never read Maguire's other books, but this is horrible. The premise is odd in itself. 7 baby Siberian snow spiders are thawed from their block of ice by accident, and fall in love with seven little girls. One by one, they try to meet them to meet a bad fate. Meanwhile the 7 girls are in rivalry with 7 boys.

There's a lot to dislike about this book. The first thing you notice is the children. I'll just quote:

Thekla recounted the history of the Copycats and the Tattletales. How the rival clubs...more
Kasha
I really didn't enjoy this book. It was recommended on a website as humorous, and I didn't find it very funny at all. It was more in the realm of wild and desperate to me. I didn't even think kids would appreciate the author's attempt at being "funny." The story centers on a upper elementary or maybe lower junior high class where the girls have formed a club and boys have formed a rival club. The girls occasionally do "mean girl" things to each other like taking the opportunity to announce hatin...more
Stephanie
My daughter and I read this book for our book club and I have to say that I was very disappointed in the quality of the writing. This is Gregory Maguire - I expected better. The storyline was weak, the characters were barly fleshed out and the writing was terrible. Children's literature does not need to be "dumbed down". These kids are worthy of quality writing and should be given the opportunity to experience fabulous literature.
Jan
I picked this book up at a resale shop because I recognized Greg Maguire's name and thought it might be suitable for my six year old grandaughter -- she'll enjoy reading it herself by the time she's eight, I think. The story is funny for me because I'm the only one in the family who isn't afraid of spiders!
Megan
Just what you would expect form Gregory Maguire, in children's book form. I especially likes the opening verse:

"Spider, spider, in the night,
Dangling by the bathroom light,
Why do you have to bother me
Just when I want some privacy?"
Kris
There's nothing really wrong with this kids' book, but there's nothing really great about it either. It may be a fun read for a grade schooler, but it was just so-so for me. I probably won't read any more of the books in the series.
Kaylah
These class students find a mysterios spider that nobody knows about. But they found that spider was a lab experiment. But there seven other spiders in the forest. And these spiders wasn't just any spiders there was rare.
Rad
Someone should write something about these books, maybe an essay about the occurrence of certain numbers. In this case, SEVEN! I felt bad for the spiders, though. How did they suddenly become the enemies? Goodness.
A.
Very fun, very cute, and very clever, though, to be fair, I don't know that I would enjoy it so much now if I hadn't loved it so dearly as a kiddo. But I did love it dearly as a kid-aroni, so there ya go!
Tacey
I SO wish I had a class of students to read this. I was laughing the entire time I read it! And I noticed my son even turned down the volume on his DS, even though he said he wasn't listening.
Ssbrandes
have just begun

finished today - cute story, definitely for a younger reader but since i had it in my possession and i like many of maguire's books i thought i'd give this one the time.

Donna
Read for our Kids Summer Book Discussion group. I didn't know that Gregory Maguire started out in children's books. An excellent story, I'd read the rest of the series.
Marge
Jun 05, 2012 Marge added it
Shelves: jfiction
Seven Siberian Snow Spiders are found frozen - as they are being transported for analysis the truck crashes - the spiders thaw and the story begins.
Mckinley
I think young children (3-5 graders in particular) will like this. A bit quirky and odd. Not deep or meaningful.
Vickie
A wonderful book for all ages, especially if you like funny stories about spiders and kids.
Barbara
Very funny book - very clever. Light, entertaining, just enough craziness to keep a kid happy.
Suchprettycolors
I love this series. It's aimed at 3rd graders. It's goofy and fun, funny and sweet.
Patrick
Old Children's Book. Liked it as a kid, but haven't read it in years.
Trista
A great Halloween story. Appropriate for fourth grade and up.
Quent Pembrey
CUTE little Siberian Snow Spiders. Bad bite.
Brittany
Cute little Halloween story.
Chase.curriculum
Assigned: 2011 Aug, EL410
Kim
Aug 18, 2010 Kim added it
Shelves: fiction, ar, grade-level-5
2 copies
Elizabeth Friend
Elizabeth Friend marked it as to-read
Apr 16, 2014
Yvonne Spoon
Yvonne Spoon marked it as to-read
Apr 05, 2014
Pam O'brien
Pam O'brien marked it as to-read
Apr 05, 2014
Christina
Christina marked it as to-read
Apr 04, 2014
Alexa
Alexa marked it as to-read
Apr 02, 2014
Gail Super
Gail Super marked it as to-read
Mar 31, 2014
  • My Teacher Glows in the Dark (My Teacher is an Alien, #3)
  • Basil of Baker Street
  • How to Talk to Girls
  • Clemency Pogue: Fairy Killer
  • Skinnybones
  • The Twinkie Squad
  • Summer Reading is Killing Me! (Time Warp Trio #7)
  • Phineas L. MacGuire . . . Erupts!: The First Experiment
  • Ten Ways To Make My Sister Disappear
  • Me and the Pumpkin Queen
  • The Toothpaste Millionaire
  • The Boys Start the War (Boy/Girl Battle, #1)
  • Friendship According to Humphrey
  • Sasquatch
  • Otis Spofford (Ellen & Otis, #2)
  • Tripping Over the Lunch Lady and Other School Stories
  • Jotham's Journey: A Storybook for Advent
  • Amber Brown Goes Fourth
Gregory Maguire is an American author, whose novels are revisionist retellings of children's stories (such as L. Frank Baum's The Wonderful Wizard of Oz into Wicked). He received his Ph.D. in English and American Literature from Tufts University, and his B.A. from the State University of New York at Albany. He was a professor and co-director at the Simmons College Center for the Study of Children'...more
More about Gregory Maguire...
Wicked: The Life and Times of the Wicked Witch of the West (The Wicked Years, #1) Confessions of an Ugly Stepsister Son of a Witch (The Wicked Years, #2) Mirror Mirror A Lion Among Men (The Wicked Years, #3)