Start by marking “Seven Spiders Spinning (The Hamlet Chronicles #1)” as Want to Read:
Seven Spiders Spinning (The Hamlet Chronicles #1)

Seven Spiders Spinning (The Hamlet Chronicles #1)

3.62 of 5 stars 3.62  ·  rating details  ·  230 ratings  ·  25 reviews
Seven prehistoric spiders that have been trapped in ice for thousands of years bring excitement to rural Vermont and briefly unite the rival boys' and girls' clubs at a local elementary school. "A fast, delightfully entertaining romp." -- Kirkus Reviews
Published August 4th 1995 by HarperCollins Publishers (first published 1994)

To ask other readers questions about Seven Spiders Spinning, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Seven Spiders Spinning

Blubber by Judy BlumeThe Wonderful Wizard of Oz by L. Frank BaumPippi Longstocking by Astrid LindgrenBridge to Terabithia by Katherine PatersonAlice's Adventures in Wonderland by Lewis Carroll
2011 Read Alouds
21st out of 23 books — 4 voters
If Chocolate Were Purple by Jen BartonTales of a Fourth Grade Nothing by Judy BlumeThe White Sail by RolliCharlotte's Web by E.B. WhiteDorothea Duck and Her Little Companion by Jennifer K. Lafferty
Great Bedtime Read-Alouds
18th out of 38 books — 14 voters

More lists with this book...

Marietje
Seven Spiders Spinning is an entertaining, original and funny story, that will appeal to 3rd and 4th graders. However it has some major issues. Even though it is not meant to be a deep book, the characters were very shallow and stereotyped. A sweet naive young teacher, a boys and a girls clique, a bullying head of the girls clique, etc. Please! That wasn't necessary to tell the story! The cruel ways in which most of the spiders died were equally unnecessary and not a very good example for childr ...more
D.M. Dutcher
I've never read Maguire's other books, but this is horrible. The premise is odd in itself. 7 baby Siberian snow spiders are thawed from their block of ice by accident, and fall in love with seven little girls. One by one, they try to meet them to meet a bad fate. Meanwhile the 7 girls are in rivalry with 7 boys.

There's a lot to dislike about this book. The first thing you notice is the children. I'll just quote:

Thekla recounted the history of the Copycats and the Tattletales. How the rival clubs
Kasha
I really didn't enjoy this book. It was recommended on a website as humorous, and I didn't find it very funny at all. It was more in the realm of wild and desperate to me. I didn't even think kids would appreciate the author's attempt at being "funny." The story centers on a upper elementary or maybe lower junior high class where the girls have formed a club and boys have formed a rival club. The girls occasionally do "mean girl" things to each other like taking the opportunity to announce hatin ...more
Tonya
Would be a fun read aloud! My 9 and 12 year olds liked it. Fun story. Kept moving. I found myself thinking about spiders a little more than I would like :)
Stephanie
My daughter and I read this book for our book club and I have to say that I was very disappointed in the quality of the writing. This is Gregory Maguire - I expected better. The storyline was weak, the characters were barly fleshed out and the writing was terrible. Children's literature does not need to be "dumbed down". These kids are worthy of quality writing and should be given the opportunity to experience fabulous literature.
Jan
I picked this book up at a resale shop because I recognized Greg Maguire's name and thought it might be suitable for my six year old grandaughter -- she'll enjoy reading it herself by the time she's eight, I think. The story is funny for me because I'm the only one in the family who isn't afraid of spiders!
Megan
Just what you would expect form Gregory Maguire, in children's book form. I especially likes the opening verse:

"Spider, spider, in the night,
Dangling by the bathroom light,
Why do you have to bother me
Just when I want some privacy?"
Kris
There's nothing really wrong with this kids' book, but there's nothing really great about it either. It may be a fun read for a grade schooler, but it was just so-so for me. I probably won't read any more of the books in the series.
Kaylah
These class students find a mysterios spider that nobody knows about. But they found that spider was a lab experiment. But there seven other spiders in the forest. And these spiders wasn't just any spiders there was rare.
Rad
Someone should write something about these books, maybe an essay about the occurrence of certain numbers. In this case, SEVEN! I felt bad for the spiders, though. How did they suddenly become the enemies? Goodness.
A.
Very fun, very cute, and very clever, though, to be fair, I don't know that I would enjoy it so much now if I hadn't loved it so dearly as a kiddo. But I did love it dearly as a kid-aroni, so there ya go!
Tacey
I SO wish I had a class of students to read this. I was laughing the entire time I read it! And I noticed my son even turned down the volume on his DS, even though he said he wasn't listening.
Ssbrandes
have just begun

finished today - cute story, definitely for a younger reader but since i had it in my possession and i like many of maguire's books i thought i'd give this one the time.

Donna
Read for our Kids Summer Book Discussion group. I didn't know that Gregory Maguire started out in children's books. An excellent story, I'd read the rest of the series.
Marge
Jun 05, 2012 Marge added it
Shelves: jfiction
Seven Siberian Snow Spiders are found frozen - as they are being transported for analysis the truck crashes - the spiders thaw and the story begins.
Mckinley
I think young children (3-5 graders in particular) will like this. A bit quirky and odd. Not deep or meaningful.
Vickie
A wonderful book for all ages, especially if you like funny stories about spiders and kids.
Barbara
Very funny book - very clever. Light, entertaining, just enough craziness to keep a kid happy.
Suchprettycolors
I love this series. It's aimed at 3rd graders. It's goofy and fun, funny and sweet.
Patrick
Old Children's Book. Liked it as a kid, but haven't read it in years.
Trista
A great Halloween story. Appropriate for fourth grade and up.
Quent Pembrey
CUTE little Siberian Snow Spiders. Bad bite.
Brittany
Cute little Halloween story.
Chase.curriculum
Assigned: 2011 Aug, EL410
Kim
Aug 18, 2010 Kim added it
Shelves: fiction, ar, grade-level-5
2 copies
Mary Garner
Mary Garner marked it as to-read
Jun 21, 2015
Anya
Anya marked it as to-read
Jun 19, 2015
  • Carlotta's Kittens (Cat Pack #3)
  • My Teacher Glows in the Dark (My Teacher is an Alien, #3)
  • Kids Pick The Funniest Poems: Poems That Make Kids Laugh
  • The Great American Mousical (Julie Andrews Collection)
  • Otis Spofford (Ellen & Otis, #2)
  • The Twinkie Squad
  • Brady
  • Ten Ways To Make My Sister Disappear
  • The Zebra Wall
  • Skinnybones
  • Hauntings And Heists (The Mysterious Four, #1)
  • Watchdog and the Coyotes
  • The Vacation
  • A Ghost in the House
  • Basil of Baker Street
  • Canned
  • James and the Giant Peach: a Play
  • Me and the Pumpkin Queen
Gregory Maguire is an American author, whose novels are revisionist retellings of children's stories (such as L. Frank Baum's The Wonderful Wizard of Oz into Wicked). He received his Ph.D. in English and American Literature from Tufts University, and his B.A. from the State University of New York at Albany. He was a professor and co-director at the Simmons College Center for the Study of Children' ...more
More about Gregory Maguire...

The Hamlet Chronicles (7 books)
  • Six Haunted Hairdos (The Hamlet Chronicles #2)
  • Five Alien Elves (The Hamlet Chronicles #3)
  • Four Stupid Cupids (The Hamlet Chronicles #4)
  • Three Rotten Eggs (The Hamlet Chronicles #5)
  • A Couple of April Fools (The Hamlet Chronicles #6)
  • One Final Firecracker (The Hamlet Chronicles #7)
Wicked: The Life and Times of the Wicked Witch of the West (The Wicked Years #1) Confessions of an Ugly Stepsister Son of a Witch (The Wicked Years #2) Mirror Mirror A Lion Among Men (The Wicked Years, #3)