Start by marking “Seven Spiders Spinning (The Hamlet Chronicles #1)” as Want to Read:
Seven Spiders Spinning (The Hamlet Chronicles #1)

Seven Spiders Spinning (The Hamlet Chronicles #1)

3.62  ·  Rating Details  ·  250 Ratings  ·  28 Reviews
Seven prehistoric spiders that have been trapped in ice for thousands of years bring excitement to rural Vermont and briefly unite the rival boys' and girls' clubs at a local elementary school. "A fast, delightfully entertaining romp." -- Kirkus Reviews
Published August 4th 1995 by HarperCollins Publishers (first published 1994)

To ask other readers questions about Seven Spiders Spinning, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Seven Spiders Spinning

Alice in Wonderland by Lewis CarrollBlubber by Judy BlumeThe Wonderful Wizard of Oz by L. Frank BaumPippi Longstocking by Astrid LindgrenBridge to Terabithia by Katherine Paterson
2011 Read Alouds
21st out of 23 books — 5 voters
If Chocolate Were Purple by Jen BartonTales of a Fourth Grade Nothing by Judy BlumeAlice in Wonderland by Lewis CarrollThe Little House Collection by Laura Ingalls WilderChicka Chicka Boom Boom by Bill Martin Jr.
Great Bedtime Read-Alouds
24th out of 41 books — 17 voters

More lists with this book...

D.M. Dutcher
Dec 02, 2011 D.M. Dutcher rated it did not like it
I've never read Maguire's other books, but this is horrible. The premise is odd in itself. 7 baby Siberian snow spiders are thawed from their block of ice by accident, and fall in love with seven little girls. One by one, they try to meet them to meet a bad fate. Meanwhile the 7 girls are in rivalry with 7 boys.

There's a lot to dislike about this book. The first thing you notice is the children. I'll just quote:

Thekla recounted the history of the Copycats and the Tattletales. How the rival clubs
Kasha
Nov 23, 2009 Kasha rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I really didn't enjoy this book. It was recommended on a website as humorous, and I didn't find it very funny at all. It was more in the realm of wild and desperate to me. I didn't even think kids would appreciate the author's attempt at being "funny." The story centers on a upper elementary or maybe lower junior high class where the girls have formed a club and boys have formed a rival club. The girls occasionally do "mean girl" things to each other like taking the opportunity to announce hatin ...more
Marietje
Feb 22, 2015 Marietje rated it liked it
Seven Spiders Spinning is an entertaining, original and funny story, that will appeal to 3rd and 4th graders. However it has some major issues. Even though it is not meant to be a deep book, the characters were very shallow and stereotyped. A sweet naive young teacher, a boys and a girls clique, a bullying head of the girls clique, etc. Please! That wasn't necessary to tell the story! The cruel ways in which most of the spiders died were equally unnecessary and not a very good example for childr ...more
Sandy Runions
Book talk this and kids grab it. "So she is sharpening her pencil and she blows the shavings off. We all do that, wonder why? And the spider comes down and impels himself on his true love's pencil!" The students really love it when the spiders get what they deserve.
Robin
May 19, 2016 Robin rated it liked it
Cute story, first in a series; I previewed this one to see if I it might be right for my daughter this summer, and I am sure she will love it. Fast-paced, funny, short chapters; his would make a great read aloud.
Isha
Aug 14, 2015 Isha rated it liked it
Too short.
Tonya
Jan 20, 2015 Tonya rated it liked it
Would be a fun read aloud! My 9 and 12 year olds liked it. Fun story. Kept moving. I found myself thinking about spiders a little more than I would like :)
Stephanie
Oct 31, 2008 Stephanie rated it it was ok
My daughter and I read this book for our book club and I have to say that I was very disappointed in the quality of the writing. This is Gregory Maguire - I expected better. The storyline was weak, the characters were barly fleshed out and the writing was terrible. Children's literature does not need to be "dumbed down". These kids are worthy of quality writing and should be given the opportunity to experience fabulous literature.
Jan
Dec 24, 2009 Jan rated it liked it
I picked this book up at a resale shop because I recognized Greg Maguire's name and thought it might be suitable for my six year old grandaughter -- she'll enjoy reading it herself by the time she's eight, I think. The story is funny for me because I'm the only one in the family who isn't afraid of spiders!
Megan
Sep 23, 2008 Megan rated it really liked it
Shelves: young-adult
Just what you would expect form Gregory Maguire, in children's book form. I especially likes the opening verse:

"Spider, spider, in the night,
Dangling by the bathroom light,
Why do you have to bother me
Just when I want some privacy?"
Kris
Jan 27, 2014 Kris rated it liked it
Shelves: juvenile
There's nothing really wrong with this kids' book, but there's nothing really great about it either. It may be a fun read for a grade schooler, but it was just so-so for me. I probably won't read any more of the books in the series.
Kaylah
Mar 10, 2012 Kaylah rated it liked it
These class students find a mysterios spider that nobody knows about. But they found that spider was a lab experiment. But there seven other spiders in the forest. And these spiders wasn't just any spiders there was rare.
Rad
May 24, 2009 Rad rated it liked it
Someone should write something about these books, maybe an essay about the occurrence of certain numbers. In this case, SEVEN! I felt bad for the spiders, though. How did they suddenly become the enemies? Goodness.
A.
Dec 04, 2013 A. rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kid-stuff
Very fun, very cute, and very clever, though, to be fair, I don't know that I would enjoy it so much now if I hadn't loved it so dearly as a kiddo. But I did love it dearly as a kid-aroni, so there ya go!
Tacey
Jan 29, 2013 Tacey rated it it was amazing
I SO wish I had a class of students to read this. I was laughing the entire time I read it! And I noticed my son even turned down the volume on his DS, even though he said he wasn't listening.
Ssbrandes
Mar 16, 2011 Ssbrandes rated it liked it
have just begun

finished today - cute story, definitely for a younger reader but since i had it in my possession and i like many of maguire's books i thought i'd give this one the time.

Donna
Jun 21, 2008 Donna rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrensfiction
Read for our Kids Summer Book Discussion group. I didn't know that Gregory Maguire started out in children's books. An excellent story, I'd read the rest of the series.
Marge
Jun 05, 2012 Marge added it
Shelves: jfiction
Seven Siberian Snow Spiders are found frozen - as they are being transported for analysis the truck crashes - the spiders thaw and the story begins.
Mckinley
Apr 12, 2012 Mckinley rated it liked it
I think young children (3-5 graders in particular) will like this. A bit quirky and odd. Not deep or meaningful.
Vickie
Sep 09, 2008 Vickie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A wonderful book for all ages, especially if you like funny stories about spiders and kids.
Barbara
Aug 19, 2008 Barbara rated it liked it
Very funny book - very clever. Light, entertaining, just enough craziness to keep a kid happy.
Suchprettycolors
Aug 03, 2013 Suchprettycolors rated it it was amazing
I love this series. It's aimed at 3rd graders. It's goofy and fun, funny and sweet.
Patrick
Oct 29, 2009 Patrick rated it it was ok
Shelves: childrens
Old Children's Book. Liked it as a kid, but haven't read it in years.
Trista
Oct 04, 2013 Trista rated it really liked it
A great Halloween story. Appropriate for fourth grade and up.
Quent Pembrey
Oct 23, 2008 Quent Pembrey rated it really liked it
CUTE little Siberian Snow Spiders. Bad bite.
Brittany
Aug 01, 2011 Brittany rated it it was ok
Shelves: childrens, fiction
Cute little Halloween story.
Chase.curriculum
Assigned: 2011 Aug, EL410
Kim
Aug 18, 2010 Kim added it
Shelves: fiction, ar, grade-level-5
2 copies
Tiffany Lee
Tiffany Lee marked it as to-read
Jul 01, 2016
Shannon Parker
Shannon Parker marked it as to-read
Jun 29, 2016
  • Carlotta's Kittens (Cat Pack #3)
  • Ten Ways To Make My Sister Disappear
  • Kids Pick The Funniest Poems: Poems That Make Kids Laugh
  • The Great American Mousical (Julie Andrews Collection)
  • Otis Spofford (Ellen & Otis, #2)
  • The Twinkie Squad
  • I.D. (Watchers, #3)
  • The Zebra Wall
  • Bulldog Won't Budge (Pet Trouble, #4)
  • The Trespassers
  • The Vacation
  • Invasion of the Appleheads (Deadtime Stories, #2)
  • My Teacher Glows in the Dark (My Teacher is an Alien, #3)
  • Hauntings And Heists (The Mysterious Four, #1)
  • Brady
  • The Schernoff Discoveries
  • Clemency Pogue: Fairy Killer (Clemency Pogue #1)
  • Sasquatch
Gregory Maguire is an American author, whose novels are revisionist retellings of children's stories (such as L. Frank Baum's The Wonderful Wizard of Oz into Wicked). He received his Ph.D. in English and American Literature from Tufts University, and his B.A. from the State University of New York at Albany. He was a professor and co-director at the Simmons College Center for the Study of Children' ...more
More about Gregory Maguire...

The Hamlet Chronicles (7 books)
  • Six Haunted Hairdos (The Hamlet Chronicles #2)
  • Five Alien Elves (The Hamlet Chronicles #3)
  • Four Stupid Cupids (The Hamlet Chronicles #4)
  • Three Rotten Eggs (The Hamlet Chronicles #5)
  • A Couple of April Fools (The Hamlet Chronicles #6)
  • One Final Firecracker (The Hamlet Chronicles #7)