Start by marking “The Black Stallion's Courage (Black Stallion Series, Book 12)” as Want to Read:
The Black Stallion's Courage (Black Stallion Series, Book 12)

The Black Stallion's Courage (The Black Stallion #12)

4.15  ·  Rating Details ·  3,242 Ratings  ·  23 Reviews
When Hopeful Farm burns down, Alec’s dreams for the future go up in smoke. How can he get the money to rebuild? To make matters worse, a strong young colt named Eclipse has taken the racing world by storm, threatening to replace the Black in the hearts of racing fans. Against all odds, Alec sets out to save the farm and prove that the Black is still the greatest race horse ...more
Paperback
Published 1999 by Hodder & Stoughton (first published 1956)

To ask other readers questions about The Black Stallion's Courage, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Black Stallion's Courage

Melody
Sep 03, 2012 Melody rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not the strongest entry in the series. Everyone is angry in this book. There's more shouting than usual. Henry shouts his way from the first page to the last. There are some races, which are wonderful. Is it a spoiler if I say that The Black wins most of 'em?

I wish I could travel in time to one of the races Farley was basing these on- I want to see the scrum of reporters elbowing each other to get to the jockey, I want to see the trainers shutting the top stall door in their faces. And I want e
MC
Feb 01, 2015 MC rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Black Stallion's Courage is one of the better entries in the series of stories by Walter Farley. Upon rereading this for the first time in over two decades, I discovered some parts of it that I hadn't noticed as a kid.

This story wasn't written exclusively for kids. It ages well, once you get into it. Granted, it banks on the childlike wonder about horses that all kids share to some extent, but as an adult, there were elements that I appreciated that I (I'm not sure, I don't remember for sure
Beth
Mar 01, 2014 Beth rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Sure, this is a Walter Farley formula novel, but Walter Farley formula has always worked for me. This one has always been memorable because it has the handicapper:
"The Old One in the office," as Michael Costello had referred to the track handicapper, was truly old. His hair, what there was of it, was snow-white and his hands shook involuntarily when he carefully figured out his weight assignments. But he wore no glasses and believed his eyes to be as keen as ever. They'd helped make his weighted
Tania
Jul 15, 2016 Tania rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Black Stallion's Courage is the best of the series since The Black Stallion and Satan. In a return to what made this series great, Walter Farley brings us back to basics with Alec Ramsey and The Black Stallion set to return to racing. Memories of the race in the desert, coupled with a challenge that only The Black could meet, make this an exciting read to the finish.
Julie Cotton
Jul 01, 2015 Julie Cotton rated it it was amazing
An edge of your seat, hope against hope story. If ever I had a hero, The Black and Alec Ramsey are it!
Shannon
The Black Stallion's Sulky Colt
The Island Stallion Races
The Black Stallion's Courage
The Black Stallion Mystery
The Horse-Tamer (all by Walter Farley)

I stepped away from my re-read of this series as I just knew the two books listed first were coming up. Even as a child I never cared for the books without Alec and the Black. These two (Sulky Colt and Island Stallion Races) were even worse than I remembered. I wonder if The Island Stallion Races is what turned me off of sci-fi. The Black Stalli
Mirrani
Jun 12, 2014 Mirrani rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
If you want to know what life is like at the racetrack, pick up one of Walter Farley's books! It is incredibly hard to find an author who captures the essence of the horse, the race, or the track the way Farley does. To top all of that off, he is an amazing adventure writer for anyone in the mood for a quick chapter book read. Some parts of the story are a little contrived, but that was the adventure style of the time. I will always say that young readers who love horses should be given this boo ...more
Wendy
Oct 07, 2011 Wendy rated it liked it
Shelves: horses-fiction
I might not have liked Courage so much if it hadn't been for a not really liking a few that came before it. It has quite a few things happen that I find pretty unlikely, but after the last few books, it was actually pretty good and helped me become reinvested in my reading of the series.

Like so many others, it's really just okay, but it's more fun than some others, and I think most people will enjoy it.
Serena
Feb 16, 2016 Serena rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: animals

My Rating System:
Sharon
Jan 09, 2010 Sharon rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childhood, horses
I raced through this series as a child. Of course, "The Black Stallion" was my favorite, and I read it a few times, but I waited eagerly for any of the books to return to my branch of the library so I could snap them up.
Faithann
Jan 27, 2015 Faithann rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015
Due to a fire at Hopeful Farm, The Black will be making a comeback! Walter Farley certainly doesn't let his love for The Black keep him from making this an exciting and suspenseful book.
Lynne Stringer
This was one of my favourite Black Stallion novels. I liked the competition between the Black and Casey and enjoyed seeing numerous different horses and their racing experiences. I love Black Minx!
Lori
Mar 04, 2011 Lori rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
The first book was the story of a boy and a horse, but the series grows with books on similar themes of overcoming adversity and animal/human bonding. Loved them as a kid.
Karalynn
Jul 29, 2015 Karalynn rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Great book, again. It did get a little monotonous with all the races having pretty much the same result...
Lily
Lily rated it it was amazing
Mar 08, 2014
Sabne Raznik
Sabne Raznik rated it it was amazing
Jun 29, 2013
Robert Mitchell
Robert Mitchell rated it it was amazing
Jan 31, 2014
Teresa
Teresa rated it really liked it
Aug 17, 2010
Sharon Wolford
Sharon Wolford rated it it was amazing
Jun 06, 2015
Caron Bright
Caron Bright rated it liked it
Apr 24, 2013
Sandy Kell
Sandy Kell rated it really liked it
Jun 04, 2011
Kim Hafics
Kim Hafics rated it really liked it
Mar 26, 2012
Karigan
Karigan rated it liked it
Jul 07, 2012
Christy Tate
Christy Tate rated it liked it
May 05, 2015
Kimberly
Kimberly rated it it was amazing
Feb 14, 2012
Connie
Connie rated it it was amazing
Jul 22, 2014
Bethany Seely
Bethany Seely rated it it was amazing
May 02, 2013
Tyrean
Tyrean rated it liked it
Aug 07, 2011
Stephanie
Stephanie rated it it was amazing
Mar 03, 2010
Goodreads Librari...: Please correct "Le courage de l'Etalon Noir" 3 15 Sep 03, 2015 08:53AM
  • Born to Trot
  • The Black Stallion's Shadow (Black Stallion Returns, #1)
  • Thunderhead (Flicka, #2)
  • Call for Courage (Golden Filly, #5)
  • Ashleigh's Diary (Thoroughbred Super Edition)
  • Irish Red
Walter Farley's love for horses began when he was a small boy living in Syracuse, New York, and continued as he grew up in New York City, where his family moved. Young Walter never owned a horse. But unlike most city children, he had little trouble gaining firsthand experience with horses-his uncle was a professional horseman, and Walter spent much of his time at the stables with him.

"He wasn't th
More about Walter Farley...

The Black Stallion (1 - 10 of 24 books)
  • The Black Stallion (The Black Stallion, #1)
  • The Black Stallion Returns (The Black Stallion, #2)
  • Son of the Black Stallion (The Black Stallion, #3)
  • The Island Stallion (The Black Stallion, #4)
  • The Black Stallion and Satan (The Black Stallion, #5)
  • The Black Stallion's Blood Bay Colt (The Black Stallion, #6)
  • The Island Stallion's Fury (The Black Stallion, #7)
  • The Black Stallion's Filly (The Black Stallion, #8)
  • The Black Stallion Revolts (The Black Stallion, #9)
  • The Black Stallion's Sulky Colt (The Black Stallion, #10)