Start by marking “Down to the Bone” as Want to Read:
Down to the Bone

Down to the Bone

3.91 of 5 stars 3.91  ·  rating details  ·  232 ratings  ·  19 reviews
Rachel Mast is doing all she can to keep her life together one year after the tragic death of her husband. Against all Amish traditions, she is running her small farm and raising her twin boys on her own. And for the first time in a long time, Rachel is happy.

Then things start happening.... Her dead husband's belongings turn up in unexpected places, her sons are acting str

Published May 1st 2004 by Mira Books (first published 2000)

To ask other readers questions about Down to the Bone, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Down to the Bone

The Lovely Bones by Alice SeboldIn Cold Blood by Truman CapoteHarry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince by J.K. RowlingCity of Bones by Cassandra ClareDaughter of Smoke & Bone by Laini Taylor
Blood and Bone
55th out of 185 books — 22 voters
In Cold Blood by Truman CapoteOf Mice and Men by John SteinbeckOn the Banks of Plum Creek by Laura Ingalls WilderOn the Road by Jack KerouacBy the Shores of Silver Lake by Laura Ingalls Wilder
Titlemania IV: I've got a preposition for ya'
237th out of 268 books — 15 voters

More lists with this book...

Rebekah
Not well written, but an ok read that passed the time in a pleasant enough manner. It was pretty predictable, which was ok for the time. I got it thru a bookcrossing release. The first one I ever caught. I have to release it back into the wild now. Not something I would particularly recommend, but if you do see it on its journey, pick it up at least to bring it inside and out of the cold for a while.
Sadi
So creepy! It kept me guessing over and over again! It was very interesting to read considering the main character was Amish. Made me learn things that could be usefuul someday, who knows?
Dawn
Oct 19, 2008 Dawn rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Anyone who enjoys a good suspense novel.
Recommended to Dawn by: I read all of Karen Harper's books.
Very good suspense novel from Karen Harper. This murder mystery involves the Amish in Ohio. I enjoy stories that have Amish characters.
Erika
Full review/original posting on my blog:

I was very skeptical about this book at first. I like books that take place in an Amish setting but I really, really don’t like ‘sappy’ romance novels, which is what most of the Amish books I’ve been seeing lately are all about. But this book was passed down to me by two people who really enjoyed it and were excited enough about it to find someone to share with. I had to at least try it, right? After leaving it for a...more
Louise
Phew!!! What a great and involved read this was..woo..hooo! lol

"Deep in the heart of a small Amish community lies a secret someone thought was buried forever. But one woman may have just unknowingly uncovered it...

Then things start happenin...more
The Loopy Librarian
Karen Harper has always been one of my favorite writers in the romantic suspense genre. Down to the Bone is one of several of her books that feature the Amish community. The juxtaposition of Amish ways with modern ones and the interactions that take place are fascinating. Because of the Amish element, the romance is kept out of the bedroom and is played out instead with romantic tension and relationship development. I prefer my romances this way. The relationship that develops between Mitch and...more
Jacqueline
This was another good one by KH. It was a very good creepy suspense book. The romance part was extremely lackluster. It seemed that the Amish woman and the English man didn't really spend anytime falling in love but the mystery part was so well done that I forgave that. The only thing I don't forgive is that the author had the Amish woman owning golden Percherons to work her farm. Percherons are black or shades of grey. Belgians are light chestnut. They can be any shade of red from light gold to...more
Marissa
As a big fan of Harper's Amish mystery/romance stories, I was excited to finally find a copy of Down to the Bone. It did not disappoint. This one is set in Clearview, rather than Maple Creek, where a number of the other books are set, but the communities are related. The mystery is intense and downright spooky in some sections, and the way it all ties together in the end is a bit stunning. Another fast-paced and good read.
Theresa
Found a new author to follow. Enjoyed the clean writing style, and edge of your seat suspense.
Teri
Reading this book for my book club...i'm starting to like these 'amish' mysteries, just something new i guess. But right now i am just hoping its NOT Mitch. but as for the book, i am only half way thru. It was alittle slow going at first, but by the 4th chapter or so, it starts to get interesting. but its good. i will try another karen Harper book.
Jacque
I enjoyed this look into the Amish society. There were plenty of suspects and I would pick the guilty party only to change my mind again and again. I love that I was completely surprised by the ending. I also really liked the heroine.
Dale
Really a fast read. Author keeps you guessing throughout. Has a bit of romance that teases the reader. I am going to look for another of Karen Harper's books to see if they are as good.
Barb Wild
Kelli
Oct 07, 2013 Kelli marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
I registered a book at BookCrossing.com!
Marg
Jun 19, 2011 Marg rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: amish
a good suspense novel by karen Harper. It is a little creepy at times. I do look forward to more novels by karen
Carina
Feb 12, 2010 Carina rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Anyone who likes suspense
Recommended to Carina by: my mom
It was a very good book. I couldn't put it down, a very surprising ending.
Nancy
Murder mystery set within an Amish community in Ohio; never guessed the ending!
Pam
Mysterys that are in the mideastern area that will keep you up at night.
Keri Shirk
Keri Shirk marked it as to-read
Sep 25, 2014
Teri Wood
Teri Wood marked it as to-read
Sep 25, 2014
Sam
Sam marked it as to-read
Sep 20, 2014
Lynne
Lynne marked it as to-read
Sep 19, 2014
Reba
Reba marked it as to-read
Sep 08, 2014
Darlene Dockhorn
Darlene Dockhorn marked it as to-read
Sep 05, 2014
Katharyn
Katharyn marked it as to-read
Aug 29, 2014
Misssassykassie
Misssassykassie marked it as to-read
Aug 22, 2014
  • A Christmas to Die For (The Three Sisters Inn, #2)
  • A Simple Winter (Seasons of Lancaster #1)
  • Beyond Hope's Valley (The Big Sky Series, #3)
  • An Amish Christmas (Brides of Amish Country, #3)
  • Secrets of Harmony Grove
  • Material Witness (Shipshewana Amish Mystery #3)
  • Love Finds You in Sugarcreek, Ohio
  • Living in Harmony (The New Beginnings, #1)
  • Love Finds You in Paradise, Pennsylvania
  • Love Finds You in Lancaster County, Pennsylvania
  • Dear to Me (Brides of Webster County, #3)
  • Summer of Secrets (Seasons of the Heart #1)
  • Rabbit: Chasing Beth Rider
  • A Hand to Hold (Hearts of Middlefield, #3)
  • Missing (The Secrets of Crittenden County #1)
  • Simple Secrets (Harmony, #1)
  • Plain Wisdom: An Invitation into an Amish Home and the Hearts of Two Women
A New York Times and USA Today bestselling author, Karen Harper is a former college English instructor (The Ohio State University) and high school literature and writing teacher. A lifelong Ohioan, Karen and her husband Don divide their time between the midwest and the southeast, both locations she has used in her books. Besides her American settings, Karen loves the British Isles, where her Scott...more
More about Karen Harper...
The Last Boleyn The Queen's Governess The First Princess of Wales Mistress Shakespeare The Poyson Garden (Elizabeth I, #1)