Start by marking “Scribbling Women: Short Stories by 19th-Century American Women” as Want to Read:
Scribbling Women: Short Stories by 19th-Century American Women

Scribbling Women: Short Stories by 19th-Century American Women

With sources as diverse as A Vindication of the Rights of Woman and Scream 2, Inventing Herself is an expansive and timely exploration of three centuries of feminist intellectuals, each of whom possesses a boundless determination to alter the world by boldly experiencing love, achievement, and fame on a grand scale. Focusing on paradigmatic figures ranging from Mary Wollst ...more
Published January 1st 1997 by Rutgers University Press

Matthew
Aug 03, 2011 Matthew rated it it was amazing
This is a must-have for anyone that is interested in 19th century American writing. This has the heavy hitters like "Life in the Iron Mills," "New England Nun," and "Circumstance," but it also has some gems that I haven't heard of before -- most particularly the novella Behind a Mask, which is psychologically intriguing, even if I hated the ending. Also a must read are the two stories "Miss Grief" by Constance Fenimore Woolson and "A Jury of Her Peers" by Susan Glaspell. Glaspell later turned he ...more
Jenice
Feb 18, 2010 Jenice rated it really liked it
I am not finished with this book, I will keep working on it.
It is a collection of short stories by 19th century American women. Louisa May Alcott, Willa Cather, Kate Chopin and Edith Wharton to name just of few.

The name of the book comes from a rather catty remark made by Nathaniel Hawthorne who at the time was not enjoying the same commercial success as most of these authors. He said, 'America is now wholly given over to a d__d mob of scribbling women and I should have no chance of success wh
Vikki
Mar 01, 2013 Vikki rated it it was amazing
Shelves: short-stories
Okay, I didn't finish all of this book. Scribbling Women is one that I read some of the stories but will want to return to it and read more stories. They are short stories by 19th century American women. I really like these old fashioned, classic short stories. This is a great book. I would like to own it.
I can't read two novels in a row. So I have to read non-fiction or short stories in between my novels. This is a great one to go to.
Mj
Oct 07, 2016 Mj rated it it was amazing
This is such a great collection of some of the overlooked writers of early America. Back when writing was a man's game, and Nathanial Hawthorne was frustrated by this "damned mob of scribbling women."

Like any collection of stories, some are amazing and some are forgettable, but I didn't find any that I hated. This is a must-read if you like the style of the 1800s.
Amy Hearth
Apr 19, 2012 Amy Hearth rated it really liked it
The short story was a more popular genre in the nineteenth century than it is today. This collection provides an opportunity to sample the shorter works of some of America's finest writers, such as Louisa May Alcott and Willa Cather, as well as their lesser-known contemporaries.
Kristy Lee
Jun 13, 2010 Kristy Lee rated it really liked it
Shelves: books-for-women
Great collection of short stories all written by women.
Nine
Dec 31, 2015 Nine rated it liked it
Nur "The Yellow Wallpaper" für ein Seminar gelesen.
Hilary
Hilary rated it it was amazing
May 29, 2012
Heather
Heather rated it it was amazing
May 01, 2012
Margaret
Margaret rated it it was amazing
Aug 04, 2009
Lisa
Lisa rated it it was amazing
Aug 28, 2012
Julie
Julie rated it it was amazing
Jun 03, 2007
Stephen Weber
Stephen Weber rated it really liked it
Sep 17, 2008
Stephanie Mesler
Stephanie Mesler rated it really liked it
Jun 12, 2013
Forrest
Forrest rated it it was amazing
Jan 20, 2009
Christine Coletta
Christine Coletta rated it it was amazing
Jan 17, 2008
Lucy Portsmouth
Lucy Portsmouth rated it really liked it
Aug 21, 2016
Christine
Christine rated it it was amazing
Aug 10, 2011
Wassila
Wassila rated it really liked it
Sep 28, 2013
Stefanie
Stefanie rated it really liked it
Mar 05, 2010
Summer
Summer rated it really liked it
May 05, 2014
Julia
Julia rated it it was amazing
Apr 30, 2014
Amy
Amy rated it really liked it
Dec 17, 2007
Christopher
Christopher rated it it was ok
May 16, 2012
Mia Easley
Mia Easley rated it really liked it
Jan 02, 2016
Rebecca Epstein
Rebecca Epstein rated it really liked it
May 19, 2014
Dominique Versini
Dominique Versini rated it really liked it
Sep 29, 2013
Allie Morawski
Allie Morawski rated it it was amazing
Jun 27, 2013
Kazzmatazz
Kazzmatazz rated it really liked it
May 01, 2009
Kateri
Kateri rated it it was ok
Nov 13, 2014
Elaine Showalter is an American literary critic, feminist, and writer on cultural and social issues. She is one of the founders of feminist literary criticism in United States academia, developing the concept and practice of gynocritics.

She is well known and respected in both academic and popular cultural fields. She has written and edited numerous books and articles focussed on a variety of subje
More about Elaine Showalter...