Pirates

Pirates

3.57 of 5 stars 3.57  ·  rating details  ·  72 ratings  ·  22 reviews
This collection of 20 poems gives a factual overview of a pirate from the time of signing on a crew to plundering a ship and being captured. Burr's illustrations realistically convey the emotions of each poem as well as showing the details of dress and shipboard life. Introductory and concluding passages give a greater degree of understanding about notable pirates and add...more
Published September 1st 2008 by Wordsong

Linda
A book full of pirate poetry is just the thing to motivate anyone to discover the real scoop about pirates. As the author says, “Gather ‘round ye scurvy mates,/I’m signing on a crew./You there! Can you tie a knot?/Ye’ll do.” This poem is a favorite with its repetition and strong voice. I can just hear the gravelly, sneery tone of the captain as he finds his crew! David Harrison creates a “story” that takes us from those who seem destined to be pirates (“they slept in places/roaches would snub”)...more
Charlyn  Trussell
Jun 09, 2010 Charlyn Trussell rated it 4 of 5 stars Recommends it for: Gr. 3 and up
Recommended to Charlyn by: Texas Bluebonnet Award Reading List 2010
What a great pairing of poetry and illustration! I especially liked how each double-page illustration framed the poem for the spread. The poetry follows a pirate's life, from signing on a ship to death from hanging. The poetry forms vary from poem to poem, some rhyming, some not. And always the contrast of the poetic form, the outstanding pictures with the viciousness of the characters, the evil on the faces and still the poetic language: "Sails shred, splinters fly, masts shatter, crush, burn:...more
Diana R.
i think pirates is poetry because it has pirates and they really exict a long time ago and it has poems . My shema with the book is that my younger brother always wanted to be a pirate . My retelling is that there is a lot of good poems like IS CALLED GENTELEMEN IN THE BEACH they are fitghing for gold. The book is about pirates and there attaks and battles. My other favirote is last battle because it has onomanapia words and similes . Why did pirates and poems have in comon>? Why did the auth...more
Spencer E.
This was an interesting book about the life of a pirate. The life of a pirate was hard. Pirates were bad guys that killed people when they robbed them. Pirates lived on ships. They sailed around looking for ships to destroy. They made up their own rules. If someone on the ship broke a rule they will get whipped, thrown into the ocean, or left on an island to die. It was stinky on the ship. Pirates got sick alot. I would not want to be a pirate because I would not want to be killed, hung, or put...more
Danna
Another from the 2010/2011 Bluebonnet list. They always include a book of poetry, and I do love the illustrations. For the art alone I'd give it more stars, but the poetry seemed rather uninspired. The factoids about real pirates were well chosen, but the attempt to teach kids that pirates were criminals and did not lead glamorous or comfortable lives of glory and adventure fell flat. That being said, young reluctant readers will likely get a kick out of it.
Kathryn Yegge
I listed this book as informational/poetry because the author opens and closes with some very interesting information about real pirates, not the kind you see in movies. I thought the writing was wonderful and if I decide to read this book to my class, some great vocabulary we'll learn is booty, plunder and pillage.
The poems were fair, not great. I guess it's hard to come up with 20 different poems about pirates. Still, a fun, easy read.
Julie Suzanne
Way cool. Loved it. Illustrated magnificently with vivid, lifelike images that made me gasp out loud every time I turned the page. The narrative verse about a pirate crew from beginning to end was delightful and not too juvenile. I'll actually have it in my 7th and 8th grade classroom for the next Talk Like A Pirate Day, which always seems to coincide with my poetry unit anyway.

Denis S.
I think Pirates is wonderful Poetry book.Is hard to make a summery about a poem book it was about pirate life.Why are pirates were in life.I don't really have schema with pirats.I wan't to remember how were the life of pirates.Yes I woud reccomend this book to my cousin because he likes pirates and poetry.
The Reading Countess
Lush illustrations gracefully offset a diverse collection of poems detailing the good, the bad, and the ugly parts of living a pirate's life. Excellent background information at the end of the book should be read to children prior to the first page.
Betsy
A fun read, but the real draw here is illustrator Dan Burr's art. Realistic pirates and a concentration on how, for some, it was just a job. The poetry doesn't scan as well as I might like, but it's clearly a very lovely book to have in the collection.
Lea
This was a great book with information on what a pirate's life was really like. Not quite as glamorous as the movies make it seem. And the poems were cute. When I read them silently to myself, I read them with a pirate's accent! :)
Sheila Richburg
Stunning illustrations lead the reader into the life of a pirate. Harrison informs the reader through poetry, that pirates are not heroes, instead, are merely thieves.
Pauline
With Robby going through a serious 'pirate phase' these days, this was a welcomed addition to our collection! Absolutely stunning illustrations and wonderful poetry!!!
Alicia
Josh loves this Texas Bluebonnet Award nominee. The illustrations are incredible. Children here get to help vote on the Texas Bluebonnet books.
Angie
It's getting a three ... but only because the art was AWESOME. The poetry ... meh. One or two that were pretty good and the rest just sort of there.
Megan
Poems about the "real" life of a pirate. Gives readers a look at the grittier side of pirates, but still appropriate for school-age children.
Handd51
I love the illustrations and the factual pieces, but the poetry is just blah.
Karen
If you want to interest boys in poetry, this is the book for them
Zonia
Poetry complementes by fabulous illustrations.
Dana
Dec 01, 2010 Dana rated it 2 of 5 stars Recommends it for: anybody who wants a short story to read
Funny and clever Pirate picture book! :)
Sabrina
Bluebonnet List 2010-2011
Aron
Aron marked it as to-read
Jan 08, 2014
Dana
Dana marked it as to-read
Jan 05, 2014
Patrick Siu
Patrick Siu marked it as to-read
Dec 13, 2013
Karen
Karen marked it as to-read
Dec 11, 2013
Mrcookiecraft10
Mrcookiecraft10 marked it as to-read
Nov 12, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Wake Up, Sun! The Book of Giant Stories The Boy With a Drum A Perfect Home for a Family When Cows Come Home