Start by marking “The Sacrament: Feasting at the Lord's Table” as Want to Read:
The Sacrament: Feasting at the Lord's Table

The Sacrament: Feasting at the Lord's Table

Published 2008 by Amalphi Publishing

To ask other readers questions about The Sacrament, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Sacrament

Leah
Mar 28, 2013 Leah rated it it was amazing
Truman G. Madsen, who was born in 1926 and died only a few years ago, on 28 May 2009, was emeritus professor of philosophy and religious studies at Brigham Young University in Provo, Utah and director of the Jerusalem Center for Near Eastern Studies. In addition to his scholarly pursuits, Truman Madsen served in many callings in the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. The LDS Church long has had a worldwide presence, but during the earlier part of Brother Madsen's life it still was ...more
Lowell
Aug 01, 2011 Lowell rated it it was amazing
Reasons I love this book:

1) It's by Truman G. Madsen. While that in and of itself shouldn't be enough of a reason, the fact that I find his writings more potent as he grows older is sufficient to guarantee this rating.

2) For the past four years, I have realized more and more how essential the sacrament is as a Christian ordinance... and on the opposite side of that coin, how passive and neglectful Christians are towards the actual ordinance. Yes Latter-Days Saints and others frequently perform t
Sandy
Aug 07, 2011 Sandy rated it it was amazing
Shelves: lds-authors
This book is a collection of Truman Madsen's thoughts, with each page exploring a separate idea pertaining to the sacrament. Truman gives insights into the events surrounding the Last Supper, the Atonement, and the crucifixion. He discusses the sacrament provided to the Nephites by the Savior in Third Nephi. He focuses on the significance of the elements of the sacrament: the prayers, the emblems, and the manner in which this sacred ordinance is carried out today. Truman also shares personal ...more
Jileen
Jul 08, 2009 Jileen rated it really liked it
My Visiting Teacher gave me this book and it's perfect for little reads here and there. Each page is a different thought about certain aspects of the Sacrament. I am loving the "Emblems" section.

I have finished this book and I rather enjoyed it. Made me realize how far I have to go in understanding all the aspects of the Sacrament but this gave me such great knowledge and made me think beyond my normal thinking patterns.
Jun 29, 2009 Laura rated it it was amazing
This book helped me to focus on the Savior and the Atonement during Sacrament Meeting. The thoughts Brother Madsen shares in this publication
emphasized the significance of this ordinance in our Sunday services and brought to my mind the supremacy of the Atonement of Jesus Christ and what it means to me and and everyone everywhere. It also brought to mind my personal responsibility every time I am present at the administration of this ordinance.
Karl W.
Aug 28, 2009 Karl W. rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: LDS members
Shelves: religion, lds
This book comprises a series of short essays on various aspects of the sacrament. Some are historical, some are theological, some are personal. You really get a sense of a keen mind informed by a loving heart and a questing spirit. This is a marvelous book with a message that is greater than the sum of its many remarkable parts.
Rae
Sep 10, 2009 Rae rated it liked it
Shelves: religiosity
This little book of one-page sermons on various aspects of the sacrament is perfect for bedtime reading, personal reflection, or preparing a talk/lesson. It's got some wonderful quotes and ideas in it. Good stuff.
Amy White
Jan 25, 2011 Amy White rated it it was amazing
Wonderful! Each page is a separate message so it's easy to read a bit when you're short on time. And it's incredible that there is so much to consider about such a simple act. I really love this book and the fascinating perspectives that it shares.
Erinita
Jan 19, 2016 Erinita marked it as to-read
Shelves: 2016-bookshelf
I enjoy this book because it is written as one-page essays within several sections relating to the sacrament. So it makes me feel like I'm moving through it fairly quickly as I finish an essay, or several essays in one sitting.
Colleen
Oct 04, 2008 Colleen rated it liked it
This book is filled with one page essays about the Sacrament, and other gospel topics. Some I loved. Some seemed to be over my head--or at least require more thought than I was willing to give them.
Julie
Feb 10, 2010 Julie rated it really liked it
Shelves: religion
I'm really enjoying this book. It's a small paperback written in small, page long chunks that lend themselves to good thinking and a new appreciation of the sacrament.
M
May 30, 2010 M rated it it was amazing
All sorts of wow. This book really helped me appreciate the sacrament more -- and more. Really an amazing read.
Tanner Barker
Tanner Barker rated it it was amazing
Apr 08, 2013
Dan
Dan rated it it was amazing
Apr 23, 2010
Nate
Nate rated it really liked it
Sep 05, 2016
Lola
Lola rated it liked it
Jun 15, 2010
Paige
Paige rated it it was amazing
Feb 09, 2009
BritGirl
BritGirl rated it did not like it
Aug 25, 2011
Julie
Julie rated it it was amazing
Dec 06, 2011
Aaron Hubbard
Aaron Hubbard rated it really liked it
Nov 19, 2012
Krsten
Krsten rated it really liked it
Mar 17, 2012
Jake
Jake rated it really liked it
Mar 29, 2009
Karen
Feb 24, 2015 Karen rated it it was amazing
Shelves: religious
Mmmmmm, doctrine. Loved it.
Jonah Humes
Jonah Humes rated it it was amazing
Apr 21, 2015
Kole
Kole rated it it was ok
Apr 18, 2014
Curt
Curt rated it it was amazing
Jul 26, 2016
Craig Clawson
Aug 25, 2008 Craig Clawson rated it it was amazing
i should read more books like this! Amazing on the gifts of God through His Son Jesus Christ..
MMW
MMW rated it it was amazing
Mar 06, 2011
Kim Dennis
Kim Dennis rated it really liked it
Nov 13, 2014
Alvin Cottrell
Alvin Cottrell rated it it was amazing
Jun 28, 2016
Truman G. Madsen is a philosopher, essayist, teacher and biographer. He is emeritus Professor of Philosophy at Brigham Young University, and was Director of the Jerusalem Center for Near Eastern Studies in Jerusalem. He held the Richard L. Evans Chair in Religious Studies at B.Y.U. He has been guest professor at Northeastern University, Haifa, and Graduate Theological Union in Berkeley, ...more
More about Truman G. Madsen...