Start by marking “A Meaningful World: How the Arts and Sciences Reveal the Genius of Nature” as Want to Read:
A Meaningful World: How the Arts and Sciences Reveal the Genius of Nature

A Meaningful World: How the Arts and Sciences Reveal the Genius of Nature

3.94 of 5 stars 3.94  ·  rating details  ·  77 ratings  ·  12 reviews
Meaningful or meaningless? Purposeful or pointless? When we look at nature, whether at our living earth or into deepest space, what do we find? In stark contrast to contemporary claims that the world is meaningless, Benjamin Wiker and Jonathan Witt reveal a cosmos charged with both meaning and purpose. Their journey begins with Shakespeare and ranges through Euclid's geome ...more
Published July 12th 2006 by InterVarsity Press

To ask other readers questions about A Meaningful World, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Meaningful World

Melissa Travis
FANTASTIC book! Examines the attributes of the cosmos that point far beyond a designing intelligence. Wiker and Witt discuss the hallmarks of genius in astrophysics, chemistry, biology, and abstract mathematics (I will never look at a right triangle the same again!) using the analogy of Shakespeare's elaborate literary masterpieces. (I learned more about old Bill in these 252 pages than I ever did in college English. Ha. Go figure.)
Laurie
An excellent look at a wide variety of subjects in order to define "genius" and apply it to aspects of the
natural world. Compelling and fascinating! I learned a lot about Shakespeare, the properties of water
and the periodic table of elements, among other things! Highly recommended--most of it is well within
the grasp of a layperson.
Moonburst
Read for Contemporary Christian Belief. Though the main idea wasn't horrible, it was very insulting to read as a science major. The attitudes of the authors were not good in terms of being taken seriously by the scientific community. I would not suggest reading this book. It's not worth it.
Justin Sinclair
This is the best apologetic text I've read, combining several different disciplines, from literature to history to geometry to chemistry, using a philosophical understanding of these and nature to identify the proof of a designing genius behind our world. Compelling, exciting, and beautifully written. One of the most enlightening books I've read in a while.
Chris AtLee
A Meaningful World shows how our universe is fundamentally meaningful. Benjamin Wiker and Jonathan Witt
demonstrate this by exploring various aspects of the human experience and human genius.

The chapters dealing with Shakespeare, Euclid as well as the chapters about the history of the periodic table of elements were particularly enjoyable.

One great side benefit of reading this book is a wealth of references to other great books to read!

Andlawruble
This is not a critical analysis of reality. It is an apologetic book with highly abrahamic undertones and bias. I did love the Shakespearian examples and explanations, as it gave me a yearning to reread some and look out for local performances, but the analogies and examples are incredibly weak from a critical standpoint. This is a book that strengthens faith only in those who wish it. It's a leap - not a good one.

Not so great a read. The entire time I was hoping for some sort of conclusive and
Matt
I found this interesting looking book on a display shelf at the library. The introduction promised to combat the nihilism of modern society and to inject life back into mathematics and science.
Sounds good right?
I only read a few pages before I saw the first red flag, a citation from a book by Michael Behe. And I know immediately that this is one of those books written by someone who believes that evolutionary theory is directly related to moral decay. And of course the corollary, all that is bea
Adam Graham
This is a solid design book with a couple twists. Wicker takes on the ugly implication of Darwinism that is often missed as relates to human genius. By looking at areas such as Shakespeare, geometry, and the construction of the period table, the authors make a good case against Darwinist visions of a meaningless world.

The book is a bit more philosophical than most design books, but I don't see that as a detriment, particularly if you're not someone who memorizes great chunks of scientific data.
Tom
Jun 28, 2014 Tom marked it as to-read
Tech 1
Heather
Feb 06, 2008 Heather rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Everyone
I wrote a radio program and published a review of this book. The summary of the radio program can be found here.
As my granfather said...if this is the kind of book that Intelligent Design people are putting out, the Darwinists have a real problem.
Lisa
Loved it!! Absolutely loved it! Didn't understand all of it, but loved it!!
Paul
Novel presentation of Intelligent Design using literature, math, chemistry, astronomy, etc.
Sarah marked it as to-read
May 21, 2015
Joanne
Joanne marked it as to-read
Mar 28, 2015
Janie
Janie marked it as to-read
Feb 18, 2015
Erich Nickman
Erich Nickman marked it as to-read
Feb 16, 2015
Sahar Kian
Sahar Kian marked it as to-read
Feb 13, 2015
Glória Hefzibá
Glória Hefzibá marked it as to-read
Feb 01, 2015
Christine
Christine is currently reading it
Apr 07, 2015
Kate
Kate marked it as to-read
Jan 18, 2015
Kevin Burrow
Kevin Burrow marked it as to-read
Jan 08, 2015
Pearl
Pearl marked it as to-read
Dec 07, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Benjamin Wiker holds a Ph.D. in Theological Ethics from Vanderbilt University, and has taught at Marquette University, St. Mary's University (MN), and Thomas Aquinas College (CA), and Franciscan University of Steubenville.

He is the author of 10 Books That Screwed Up the World: And 5 Others That Didn't Help (2008) and co-author of Answering the New Atheism: Dismantling Dawkins' Case Against God (20
More about Benjamin Wiker...
10 Books That Screwed Up the World: And 5 Others That Didn't Help 10 Books Every Conservative Must Read: Plus Four Not to Miss and One Impostor The Mystery of the Periodic Table Moral Darwinism: How We Became Hedonists The Darwin Myth: The Life and Lies Charles Darwin