Start by marking “A Meaningful World: How the Arts and Sciences Reveal the Genius of Nature” as Want to Read:
A Meaningful World: How the Arts and Sciences Reveal the Genius of Nature

A Meaningful World: How the Arts and Sciences Reveal the Genius of Nature

Meaningful or meaningless? Purposeful or pointless? When we look at nature, whether at our living earth or into deepest space, what do we find? In stark contrast to contemporary claims that the world is meaningless, Benjamin Wiker and Jonathan Witt reveal a cosmos charged with both meaning and purpose. Their journey begins with Shakespeare and ranges through Euclid's ...more
Published July 12th 2006 by InterVarsity Press

To ask other readers questions about A Meaningful World, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Meaningful World

Melissa Travis
Jan 23, 2011 Melissa Travis rated it it was amazing
FANTASTIC book! Examines the attributes of the cosmos that point far beyond a designing intelligence. Wiker and Witt discuss the hallmarks of genius in astrophysics, chemistry, biology, and abstract mathematics (I will never look at a right triangle the same again!) using the analogy of Shakespeare's elaborate literary masterpieces. (I learned more about old Bill in these 252 pages than I ever did in college English. Ha. Go figure.)
Laurie
Feb 04, 2009 Laurie rated it it was amazing
An excellent look at a wide variety of subjects in order to define "genius" and apply it to aspects of the
natural world. Compelling and fascinating! I learned a lot about Shakespeare, the properties of water
and the periodic table of elements, among other things! Highly recommended--most of it is well within
the grasp of a layperson.
Moonburst
Nov 01, 2008 Moonburst rated it did not like it
Read for Contemporary Christian Belief. Though the main idea wasn't horrible, it was very insulting to read as a science major. The attitudes of the authors were not good in terms of being taken seriously by the scientific community. I would not suggest reading this book. It's not worth it.
Stinger
In A Meaningful World: How the Arts and Sciences Reveal the Genius of Nature Benjamin Wiker and Jonathan Witt seek to disprove the assumption that science has demonstrated conclusively the universe is without purpose or meaning. They methodically make the case for genius in the world of literature, then bridge this evidence to that of genius in mathematics and chemistry, finally resting on biological order. The authors effectively wage war against the prevalent reasoning of materialistic ...more
Andlawruble
Dec 02, 2015 Andlawruble rated it it was ok
This is not a critical analysis of reality. It is an apologetic book with highly abrahamic undertones and bias. I did love the Shakespearian examples and explanations, as it gave me a yearning to reread some and look out for local performances, but the analogies and examples are incredibly weak from a critical standpoint. This is a book that strengthens faith only in those who wish it. It's a leap - not a good one.

Not so great a read. The entire time I was hoping for some sort of conclusive and
Chris AtLee
Jan 17, 2012 Chris AtLee rated it really liked it
A Meaningful World shows how our universe is fundamentally meaningful. Benjamin Wiker and Jonathan Witt
demonstrate this by exploring various aspects of the human experience and human genius.

The chapters dealing with Shakespeare, Euclid as well as the chapters about the history of the periodic table of elements were particularly enjoyable.

One great side benefit of reading this book is a wealth of references to other great books to read!

Matt
Sep 23, 2009 Matt rated it did not like it
I found this interesting looking book on a display shelf at the library. The introduction promised to combat the nihilism of modern society and to inject life back into mathematics and science.
Sounds good right?
I only read a few pages before I saw the first red flag, a citation from a book by Michael Behe. And I know immediately that this is one of those books written by someone who believes that evolutionary theory is directly related to moral decay. And of course the corollary, all that is bea
Adam Graham
Dec 14, 2012 Adam Graham rated it really liked it
This is a solid design book with a couple twists. Wicker takes on the ugly implication of Darwinism that is often missed as relates to human genius. By looking at areas such as Shakespeare, geometry, and the construction of the period table, the authors make a good case against Darwinist visions of a meaningless world.

The book is a bit more philosophical than most design books, but I don't see that as a detriment, particularly if you're not someone who memorizes great chunks of scientific data.
Justin Sinclair
Jan 14, 2015 Justin Sinclair rated it it was amazing
This is the best apologetic text I've read, combining several different disciplines, from literature to history to geometry to chemistry, using a philosophical understanding of these and nature to identify the proof of a designing genius behind our world. Compelling, exciting, and beautifully written. One of the most enlightening books I've read in a while.
Heather
Feb 06, 2008 Heather rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Everyone
I wrote a radio program and published a review of this book. The summary of the radio program can be found here.
As my granfather said...if this is the kind of book that Intelligent Design people are putting out, the Darwinists have a real problem.
Matthew
Matthew rated it really liked it
Aug 24, 2012
Susan
Susan rated it it was amazing
May 13, 2014
Deb
Deb rated it really liked it
Mar 04, 2013
Alycia Coyle
Alycia Coyle rated it it was amazing
May 07, 2014
Jeremiah
Jeremiah rated it really liked it
Jun 04, 2015
Jeff Grogan
Jeff Grogan rated it it was ok
Aug 25, 2016
Jeffrey Backlin
Jeffrey Backlin rated it it was ok
Jun 09, 2014
Philip Whiteman
Philip Whiteman rated it liked it
Oct 31, 2011
Tom
Sep 07, 2016 Tom marked it as to-read
Tech 1
Alina
Alina rated it it was amazing
Aug 20, 2013
Kristen
Kristen rated it really liked it
Oct 20, 2012
BM
BM rated it really liked it
Apr 21, 2010
Colleen Barden
Colleen Barden rated it it was amazing
Jan 11, 2016
Francis Baraan
Francis Baraan rated it it was amazing
Apr 01, 2013
Anna-Katharina
Anna-Katharina rated it it was ok
Feb 24, 2010
Josh Slater
Josh Slater rated it really liked it
Apr 06, 2016
Beth
Beth rated it it was amazing
Sep 23, 2014
Robbie Maakestad
Robbie Maakestad rated it liked it
Aug 23, 2012
John
John rated it really liked it
Jan 12, 2012
David
David rated it really liked it
Jul 30, 2011
« previous 1 3 4 next »
  • The Design of Life: Discovering Signs of Intelligence in Biological Systems
  • The Politically Incorrect Guide to Darwinism and Intelligent Design
  • The Edge of Evolution: The Search for the Limits of Darwinism
  • Darwin's Doubt: The Explosive Origin of Animal Life and the Case for Intelligent Design
  • Science and Human Origins
  • Secrets of Antigravity Propulsion: Tesla, UFOs, and Classified Aerospace Technology
  • Stirring the Mud: On Swamps, Bogs, and Human Imagination
  • The New Pearl Harbor Revisited: 9/11, the Cover-up & the Expose
  • Faith and Reason
  • The Victory of Reason: How Christianity Led to Freedom, Capitalism, and Western Success
  • The Politically Incorrect Guide to Science
  • The Hunt for Zero Point: Inside the Classified World of Antigravity Technology
  • Architects of the Culture of Death
  • Race with the Devil
  • God and Stephen Hawking: Whose Design Is It Anyway?
  • The Collected Works of G.K. Chesterton Volume 01: Heretics, Orthodoxy, the Blatchford Controversies (Collected Works of G. K. Chesterton)
  • Darwin on Trial