Start by marking “Chronicles of the Grim Peddler, Volume 1” as Want to Read:
Chronicles of the Grim Peddler, Volume 1

Chronicles of the Grim Peddler, Volume 1

The Grim Peddler waltzes through fairly tales, giving the stories' inhabitants their hearts' desires. But benefactors beware, for his gifts don't always turn out quite as expected! Classic fables like Sleeping Beauty, Hansel and Gretel, The Frog Prince and more are turned on their side through the unexpected reversals and terrifying twists of this all-new series.
Published July 22nd 2008 by Udon Entertainment

To ask other readers questions about Chronicles of the Grim Peddler, Volume 1, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Chronicles of the Grim Peddler, Volume 1

Loveliest Evaris
The art was absolutely beautiful. I rarely find manhwa that has TERRIBLE art, but of course this didn't suffer from that hopefully rare occurence.

I loved his hat! It was so cool! The Koreans make all their guys look so pretty, moreso than the Japanese.

I love fairy tale retellings, even if they seem old-hat (no pun intended). You can only take a Grimm's Fairy Tale and retell it in so many ways before all the ways .. have been done, you know?

My favorite was the Little Mermaid. Least favorite was
Abby Brithinee
Mar 01, 2013 Abby Brithinee rated it it was ok
Shelves: retellings, manga
The Grim Peddler steps through fairy tales, touching them all, influencing them behind the scenes, giving their characters the things they think they want. I'm actually not sure about the gender of the Peddler. The back of the book says "his," but the pictures look like a woman, and at one point she's referred to as a witch, so I'm going to call her a woman. She has "seeds," which she gives to women who can't have children. The seeds become the children the women dream of...black hair, red lips, ...more
Alex
Jul 06, 2009 Alex rated it liked it
A mixed, but mostly positive, feeling toward this book. I liked it enough that I'm looking forward to vol. 2.

What I liked: The art is lovely; it would be great to see more full colored pictures of the characters, but there are obviously limitations to that. I also enjoy the constant characters (the black cat, the Peddler, and I'm guessing the Medicine Man may be one). Those parts of the story are the ones I enjoyed the most. I haven't seen much of him, but I'm kind of taken with the Medicine Man
Nicole
Mar 27, 2011 Nicole rated it liked it
I really wanted to like this. Korean artists have a real gift for lush, beautiful drawings - and I love fairy tales, both in traditional form and when writers put a modern spin on the tales. The art work in this manhwa was of course beautiful (as I expected), but the storylines themselves felt a bit disjointed and under-developed. The three fairy tales "re-imagined" in this chronicle are Sleeping Beauty, Hansel and Gretel, and The Little Mermaid. My favorite in the bunch was probably Hansel and ...more
Kohakushadow
May 08, 2009 Kohakushadow rated it really liked it
As a fan of fantasy as well as growing up with some of these fairytales from my childhood I was really drawn to this, the artwork of course is a huge factor but I like the fact that Lee Joung-A takes these fairy tales and twists them.

They arent exactly the fairytales as I knew them but I enjoy her twist as well as the main storyline that she threads throughout the manga. The Peddler is twisted yes but at the same time the fact that we dont know mucha bout him makes his venturing into different t
Nicole Bunge
... I hate to say "this could have been better" but it could have.
The idea of a roving salesman, interjecting the sale of wishes (usually children) into the lives of fairy tale parents seems like rich fodder for fairy tale retelling.
It's basically a "Pet Shop of Horrors" for fairy tales, but no where near as good.
Even most of the M. Night Shyamalan 'twists' are pretty lame.
The only reason I marked it 3 stars is because the art is beautiful.
I'll read the other volume, but I won't be keeping eit
Sarai
Feb 23, 2010 Sarai rated it liked it
Product Description

This was kind of a strange take on familiar fairy tales, but I did not like it as well as Nightmares & Fairy Tal
Robin Conley
Jul 29, 2016 Robin Conley rated it liked it
After reading this manga a second time, I stand by my original review: I think I liked the idea of this manga more than I liked the final result. I felt like some of the stories were confusing in the way they were presented or drawn, and that not all of them were different enough from the original to be interesting. There were some good twists and I did like the manga overall, as well as the twist on the Grimm brothers, but I thought it could have been better. It was good enough that I might ...more
Dorcas
Jan 05, 2009 Dorcas rated it really liked it
The first few pages before the actual fairy tale that the author is going to twist were a bit confusing because I wasn't sure how it connected with the story lines. As I became engrossed into the twisted fairy tales (Hansel and Gretel, the little mermaid, sleeping beauty), however, I got used to the author's storytelling style very quickly. Really looking forward to what will happen in the next volume.
Sidney Prescott
Aug 31, 2016 Sidney Prescott rated it it was ok
Shelves: library-books, comics
Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Oh boy what a mess this was.
The storyline was all over the place, the mini stories made no sense. Frames would jump around and I couldn't tell what was happening to any of the characters. I still have no idea really what this story was all about. Such a shame.

But...the art work was stunningly beautiful!
Sara
Sep 02, 2016 Sara rated it liked it
Como siempre, la imagen de los manhwas es impecable, estilizada, los personajes hermosos...
Me gusta la idea de versionar alternativamente un cuento clásico.
Igual hay detalles que quedan sueltos, ¿quien es el vendedor de deseos? ¿el gato amigo? ¿cuál es su propia historia?

Mi favorito: la sirenita.
El último cuento ni siquiera pude reconocerlo de tan cambiado que quedó
Tony Graff
Jul 10, 2011 Tony Graff rated it really liked it
This book put a new twist on classic fairy tales. This peddler has what people want, and can give to them,. but sets the conditions for that. Through the first book, we see the Little Mermaid, Hansel and Gretal, and Sleeping Beauty all retold with a sinister flair, one that I think originally belonged to fairy tales.
the golden witch.
I'm not much for manwha, but this title blew me away with the content and the art. It's a gorgeous volume in every single way. I totally need to buy it next time I see a copy.
Ashley
Ashley rated it liked it
Sep 12, 2010
Zarked
Zarked rated it it was amazing
Feb 14, 2012
Ellen
Ellen rated it it was amazing
Jan 25, 2012
Abby
Abby rated it it was amazing
Mar 23, 2012
Natalia
Natalia rated it really liked it
Aug 06, 2014
Stephanie
Stephanie rated it really liked it
Mar 31, 2015
Kimberly
Kimberly rated it did not like it
Feb 14, 2014
Jacqui Geisel
Jacqui Geisel rated it it was amazing
Dec 31, 2011
Krista
Krista rated it really liked it
Aug 26, 2015
Athena
Athena rated it liked it
Dec 30, 2010
Christy Stewart
Christy Stewart rated it it was amazing
Aug 20, 2011
Jessica
Jessica rated it it was amazing
Sep 19, 2009
Jennifer Montes
Jennifer Montes rated it it was amazing
Aug 14, 2016
Meghan Fehr
Meghan Fehr rated it really liked it
Jun 20, 2013
Crystal
Crystal rated it it was ok
Sep 28, 2008
Cupcake
Cupcake rated it it was ok
Dec 31, 2011
Jenny
Jenny rated it it was amazing
Jun 28, 2011