Playing Away

Playing Away

3.6 of 5 stars 3.60  ·  rating details  ·  790 ratings  ·  45 reviews
It's sexy. It's roguish. It's hilarious. It's a sensational debut novel from London, a joyously comic take on modern marriage and its fallout. Single people may feel they have it rough...but wait until you see what happens when married folk fall in lust.
Connie Green's life should be perfect. She has a hot career, her wonderful husband, Luke, and a bunch of great girlfrie...more
Published July 1st 2001 by Gallery Books (first published March 30th 2000)

Claire
Jacki Ford
Sep 07, 2007 Jacki Ford rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: ladies!
THis is the first of Adele Parks I have read. I had high hopes.

It was a little bit slow to start with but it subtly grew on me very much and by the time I was half way I was totaly engrossed and unable to put down.

Great to actually view an affair from the womens perspective especially as she didn't particularty see it as an affair as she didn't actually sleep with him!

Good happy ending which I was beginning to think wouldn't happen.

TOld from characters perspective which I do like - it always se...more
Jenna
Oct 22, 2008 Jenna rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone on their way to a beach vacation
What I learned from the book...I learned from the author. Adele managed to write her first novel while working a in successful career and having to travel the world...I've always admired her ability to do both at once and was so happy to see this become her primary job! So I give her first novel high marks as an inspiration to all of us to find the time to do the things we are passionate about.

it's also a fun read and a great escape.
Jacqui Mccann
**spoilers **. Not a huge fan of chick lit but having read a previous Adele Parks novel I picked this book up on offer. Sadly this can only be described as slightly better than the current trash being distributed after the Fifty Shades endemic. The main characters are stereotypical southern rich career girls with cash to splash but who still define themselves by being part of a twosome. The main plot is the protagonist being bored by her perfect life and embarking on an affair with what she perc...more
Elizabeth Kelly
It's quite short for a chic-lit novel - and quite enjoyable though the main character is really rather irritating.
Maria
Funny, sexy enjoyable read. Loved it!
Ian Mapp
Well what to make of this as I attempt to discover my female side!

This is like a big sticky bun - you know you really shouldnt but it is quite irristable.

She writes all about character. Everyone she describes is by looks, clothes, size etc. and there is a real lack of tension or anything behind to the surface. Lets give a few examples of this....

The book is about Connie and her extended group of friends who look like they appear back in young wives tales later on.

Connie starts the book by descri...more
Juliana Graham
A few things annoyed me about this book which I think will be quite difficult to put into words. Firstly, I felt that there were a few stereotypes that were really hammered home to the reader to make sure that they REALLY UNDERSTOOD that the girls were well off, London girls who liked to shop in Harvey Nichols and had LOVELY furniture and LOVELY clothes and LOVELY houses etc etc. This was in sharp contrast to the 'other man', the reason for the 'Playing Away' who was very Northern, a bit of roug...more
Barbara Elsborg
The subject of this book - a newly married woman who falls for an irresistible slut of a guy - isn't something that is going to appeal to everyone. Though I never cease to be suprised by how readers react to stories about adultery, stories where guys are abusive etc by their absolute loathing of them. I agree that Connie is not a nice woman but Ms Parks sets out to show us what its like to be tempted, what it's like to fall and what the consequences can be. She caught me up in Connie's world, ma...more
Stacey
I really enjoyed this book, although slow to start off with, but gives you a good background into the main characters relationships with her friends.
Adele Parks words all of the emotions of having an affair so well that I felt the emotions myself. Being recently married myself, it showed me what happens when the main character made her fantasies become a reality. I actually became quite clingly with my husband whilst reading this because reading what the main character goes through with her husb...more
Ugo Chime
My intro to Adele Parks. Unfortunately none of her other books grabbed me as much as this did.
Jen
This had a really slow start (it took me over 2 months to get beyond the first 75 pages), but as it picked up and the affair was in full swing, this book was impossible to put down. The author did an amazing job of detailing every emotion in an affair and even though I had a difficult time liking the main character, I still hoped for the best in the crap situation she had put herself in. Many of the characters were hard to like (Sam, excluded) or not fleshed-out enough (Connie's husband Luke was...more
Katie Jones
This book was well slow and disappointing.

I found it quite tedious at times and I just wanted to scream at Connie, the main character, to just grow up and act her age! However as I never like to leave books unfinished I plowed my way through, most of it on a train for a few hours. The whole book is very predictable and the ending... you just knew it would end that way.

I have a 2 other Adele Parks books, one of which is one of her most recent books. I'm hoping she may have got into her writing s...more
Karschtl
Chick-lit, but this time not about the search for Mr. Right but about a wild romance with Mr. Hot & Steamy. I can even understand why Connie initially fell for him, however I cannot relate to her later obsession with him, her waiting for his phone calls etc. At this point she behaves like a teenager, although she is in a (solid) relationship and only interested in sex with John. But what do I know, I haven't been in this situation.
What this book proofs again: you can never keep an affair a s...more
Mira Taylor
I read this a few years ago as it was a freebee giveaway with a women's mag. A kind of sub-Bridget Jones spin off. It certainly bowls along with plenty of energy, like the feisty heroine who merrily binges on booze and fags in a moment of relationship crisis and still manages to be bright-eyed and bushy-tailed after the fact. Fact: sheer fantasy peddling and a bit dumb, really; a slightly over-egged soufflée which has been grabbed out of the oven too soon. Needs editing, then some.
Ronaliza Tedranes
Amazing!! Connie Green is crazy!! Sooooo crazy!!!

Most of the time husbands are the one to cheat on their wife. But this one can show that women can also cheat. :D

She's so lucky to have a forgiving husband. I recommend this book but I don't recommend to cheat your husband.. NEVER!! Especially if he's like Connie's husband, hardworking and responsible. :D
Shirley
its a girl gossip type read it was ok but slow to start then not much to it but still a little good read to pass the time its all round the one character connie and her affair with the charcter john and how it affects her life it brings in a few of her friends into the story and what they think of it all but you get to know coinne the most 2.5 rate
Sadaf
Someone gifted this book to me, I do not think I would have bought this on my own because it gave me an all-too-scary glimpse into the world of adultery which I prefer keeping at arm's length. Anyways it started off well, died in the middle, and picked up pace towards the end. One to read when you just need some senseless distraction.
Dee
Oh my Connie needed a bullet....which sides your bread buttered or what! Pretty frustrating and very predictable but just kept on reading! What I would like to know from page 296/7....why on earth would drunks want to go out with an immersion heater although they were all laughing...maybe thats where I went wrong ;-)
Mackenzie  Hickey
This was a fantastic read filled with sex, love, and close friendship. Adele's characters are personable and real, making this book all the harder to put down. She's right, it's the closest you can get to actually having an affair, but it is also a beautiful example of the power of true love.
Isaw
as a bloke this is chicklit right up my street, connie unable to see what a dirt bag john is was able to sink as low as you can get, though, she said, up-he-bum was unappealing, page 10, i think he would have taken that too and she would have given it, eat your heart out luke.
Susheila
Jan 15, 2008 Susheila rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: ladies
Funny! Poignant! Outrageous! Very adult and humerous but gets a lot of thought provoking material out there to chew on. This is the third book I've read from Adele Parks now - love all of them!
Livinginthecastle
This is awful, terrible stilted dialogue, contradictory descriptions, cardboard cut out characters, and the 'burp of champagne' on page 76, just about sums this book up-classy.
Veronica Ponce Dachelet
Es un libro genial para una tarde de vacaciones, una lectura rápida y entretenida :D
Gracias a mi amiga Tabita que me lo regalo por mi cumpleaños <3
Ruth
I was quite disappointed

It started well but died in the middle then picked up slightly towards the end

It was an average read
Mpume ngobese
i absolutely enjoyed this book. it truly is the closest one will ever get to having an affair without actually having one.
Shannon
This book was ok, I wouldn't recommend it to anyone young because of the amount of sex described (in great detail).
Anne
It took me so long to wade over Connie's fickle-mindedness, but was glad at how it ended up. *big sigh of relief*
Shamsh
Had a great time reading this book... It's funny, light, truthful and very sexy... Thumbs up!!!
  • A Friend of the Family
  • It's a Kind of Magic
  • The Ex Files
  • City Girl
  • Three In A Bed
  • The Old Girl Network
  • Lizzie Jordan's Secret Life
  • Lots Of Love (Lodes Chronicles, #1)
  • Operation Sunshine
  • Summer With My Sister
  • The Boy Next Door
  • Always the Bridesmaid
  • Forget me not
  • The Yorkshire Pudding Club
  • Filthy Rich. Wendy Holden
  • Home Truths
Adele Parks was born in Teesside, NE England. She studied English Language and Literature, at Leicester University. She published her first novel, Playing Away, in 2000; that year the Evening Standard identified Adele as one of London’s ‘Twenty Faces to Watch.’ Indeed Playing Away was the debut bestseller of 2000.
Prolific, Adele has published nine novels in nine years, including Game Over, Tell Me...more
More about Adele Parks...
Young Wives' Tales Other Woman's Shoes Love Lies Tell Me Something Husbands