The Joy of Simple Living: Over 1,500 Simple Ways to Make Your Life Easy and Content-- At Home and At Work
Enlarge cover
Rate this book
Clear rating

The Joy of Simple Living: Over 1,500 Simple Ways to Make Your Life Easy and Content-- At Home and At Work

by
3.62 of 5 stars 3.62  ·  rating details  ·  78 ratings  ·  20 reviews
Chances are, your life is overflowing with unnecessary clutter and confusion-- from the "junk drawer" in the kitchen to the overloaded "in box" at the office to the ever-growing list of tasks to complete and errands to run. With the increasingly hectic, stressful lives that more and more people are leading today, is it possible for anyone to handle the overwhelming demands
...more
Paperback, 480 pages
Published February 15th 1999 by Rodale Books (first published February 1st 1999)
more details... edit details

Friend Reviews

To see what your friends thought of this book, please sign up.
This book is not yet featured on Listopia. Add this book to your favorite list »

Community Reviews

(showing 1-30 of 474)
filter  |  sort: default (?)  |  rating details
Holly Mitchell
Jun 18, 2007 Holly Mitchell added it
Recommends it for: Everyone
Shelves: simpleliving
This book changed my life. It turned me into a person who does not live on "automatic pilot". I got rid of "stuff" that I had to keep cleaning otherwise. And that's friendships too, the ones I felt I had to maintain to be a nice person, even though I felt these people were draining me of my sanity.

This is a wonderful book for simplifying everything in your life, from the inside out and I always recommend it to everyone, especially if they feel lost or overwhelmed with anything that's going on in...more
Bill
Jun 24, 2009 Bill rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Everyone
Definitely a book worth reading, Davidson makes great points and gives advice you can actually use in your own day-to-day life. Lots of simple tips and tricks that had immediate benefits for me.
Christin
Jun 24, 2009 Christin rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: all
This is a must-read. Seriously, there's a lot of worthy advice about a wide range of topics. In the few days since I've read it, I've already been able to use a lot of the tips and it's been quite helpful.
طريف
الكتاب يقع تقريبا في 450 صفحة ويتحدث عن كل شيء في الحياة وكيف يمكن تبسيطه ..
يتحدث عن مبادئ البساطة وقواعدها العامة ومسببات التعقيد ثم يتناول عن طريق مئات النصائح والأفكار أساليب لتبسيط المنزل بغرفه وأجزاءه كلها ثم تبسيط إدارة الأعمال من المنزل، تبسيط الحياة المهنية،العلاقات، التغذية، الأنشطة، الرياضة وغيرها ..

الكتاب يضم أفكار مفيدة .. نصيحتي الوحيدة : لا تقرأ هذا الكتاب من الغلاف إلى الغلاف .. إقرأ في كل فترة ما يلزمك فقط وماتشعر انك تحتاجه
Lacey White
I found this book to be quite helpful. It's definitely worth reading and, if you're like me and have a lot of needless complexities in your life, you'll find this book to be a life changer.
James
Helpful tips on simplifying nearly every aspect of your life. Worth a skim for ideas.
Samantha
I love this book~ its so jammed pack full of amazing tips, I always come back to it for a fresh take on the minimalism movement.
Anton Klink
This plethora of tips of supposedly simple living contains some interesting pointers on simplifying your life, but the majority of advice is simply about how to be a hood housewife. Plus some of the advice (like flushing expired medicine down the toilet, keeping a mini-fridge next to the sofa for easy snacks and airing the living room after another round of heavy smoking) is terribly dated and hopelessly stuck in the 90s. Additionally, some advice is just plain wrong, like the recommendation to...more
Aparna Anand
The book generally takes the "eliminate all that you don't want" route.
What i loved was the approach that we can indeed simplify our lives by reducing many excesses and cutting down on unwanted hoarding. Will certainly help a good deal when one sets out to plan and organize one's home, work and life as a whole!
آلاء
أول ماوقعت عيني على الكتاب وقرأت عنوانه "متعة الحياة البسيطة" وكان قد كتب على غلافه أكثر من 1500 طريقة للعيش بحياة سهلة شعرت بأني لن ألم بأحد منها لكن سرعان ماتبدد شعوري هذا عندما تصفحت الفهرس وأول مالفت انتباهي به "الفصل 19 القراءة بسهولة" فصل عدل مسار قراءتي وأعطاني حلولا شتى لاكتناز أكبر قدر من القراءة بوقت أقصر وفائدة أكبر..
لقد حل لي ذاك الفصل مشكلتي مع كتب كهذا يحوي زخما من المعلومات ، فحواه ألا عليك أن تقرأ كل كتاب تتناوله يداك من الجلدة إلى الجلدة ماعليك إلا أن تتصفح محتواه من الفهرس وتقو...more
shagaf .92
أول ماوقعت عيني على الكتاب وقرأت عنوانه "متعة الحياة البسيطة" وكان قد كتب على غلافه أكثر من 1500 طريقة للعيش بحياة سهلة شعرت بأني لن ألم بأحد منها لكن سرعان ماتبدد شعوري هذا عندما تصفحت الفهرس وأول مالفت انتباهي به "الفصل 19 القراءة بسهولة" فصل عدل مسار قراءتي وأعطاني حلولا شتى لاكتناز أكبر قدر من القراءة بوقت أقصر وفائدة أكبر..
لقد حل لي ذاك الفصل مشكلتي مع كتب كهذا يحوي زخما من المعلومات ، فحواه ألا عليك أن تقرأ كل كتاب تتناوله يداك من الجلدة إلى الجلدة ماعليك إلا أن تتصفح محتواه من الفهرس وتقو...more
Pooja Sinha
Apr 29, 2014 Pooja Sinha marked it as to-read
This review has been hidden because it contains spoilers. To view it, click here.
Ami
Oct 27, 2009 Ami added it
Shelves: didn-t-finish
Wow, this sucked. I think it was probably aimed to a completely different demographic than me. Watching one hour less of television a week in order to give me 52 extra hours a year to do more...simple things?...didn't hit me as helpful, but rather, that was the point when I decided to put the book down. Blah.
Alathraa .92
يضم هذا الكتاب معلومات كثيرة واساليب متنوعة لتبسيط الحياة في كل جزء من البيت..لم أقرؤه كله انتقيت منه الاجزاء التي تلزمني فقط لأنه يشمل فصولا عدة تناسب جميع الاشخاص..
اعتقد انه من الصعب وغير المفيد قراءته دفعة واحدة..بل من الانسب تواجده في مكتبة المنزل للعودة اليه وقت الحاجة لتطبيق مايكتنز من اساليب..
Andrea
Definitely "just okay." I already knew most of the tips in the book; the rest didn't seem like they would be worth trying. Maybe these were new ideas when the book was first published, in the 90s. Might be good for someone who has NO idea how to live more simply.
travelgirlut
I didn't finish this book. I found the advice to be dated and somewhat passive. It wasn't so much a save money type of book as it was just making life easier. Maybe when I'm looking to destress my life this book would be useful, but for not it was not what I was looking for.
Rift Vegan
giggles. This book is aimed at people who are well-off financially, own their house, have children and don't have a bit of common sense.
Eric Reidsma
This book belongs in the junk drawer. Common sense - nothing of value. repetative.
Eileen
Nothing new here.
Heather
Heather marked it as to-read
Jul 24, 2014
Linda
Linda marked it as to-read
Jul 19, 2014
Kunzang Dema
Kunzang Dema marked it as to-read
Jul 18, 2014
Designfanatic
Designfanatic marked it as to-read
Jul 16, 2014
Robin
Robin marked it as to-read
Jul 16, 2014
Jessica Thornton
Jessica Thornton marked it as to-read
Jul 16, 2014
Cassie
Cassie marked it as to-read
Jul 15, 2014
Anna
Anna marked it as to-read
Jul 15, 2014
Amy
Amy marked it as to-read
Jul 15, 2014
Christi
Christi marked it as to-read
Jul 11, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 15 16 next »
There are no discussion topics on this book yet. Be the first to start one »
  • Overachievement: The New Science of Working Less to Accomplish More
  • The Simple Living Guide
  • Radical Honesty : How to Transform Your Life by Telling the Truth
  • The Smartest Investment Book You'll Ever Read: The Simple, Stress-Free Way to Reach Your Investment Goals
  • You, Inc.: The Art of Selling Yourself
  • Maximum Achievement: Strategies and Skills that Will Unlock Your Hidden Powers to Succeed
  • Career Renegade: How to Make a Great Living Doing What You Love
  • Radical Simplicity
  • Simplify Your Life: 100 Ways to Slow Down and Enjoy the Things That Really Matter
  • How to Live Well Without Owning a Car: Save Money, Breathe Easier, and Get More Mileage Out of Life
  • Lost Crafts
  • The Art of Learning: A Journey in the Pursuit of Excellence
  • Voluntary Simplicity: Toward a Way of Life That is Outwardly Simple, Inwardly Rich
  • Start Your Own Business: The Only Book You'll Ever Need
  • Living the Good Life: How to Live Sanely and Simply in a Troubled World
  • Living More With Less
  • Scratch Beginnings: Me, $25, and the Search for the American Dream
  • The Complete Tightwad  Gazette
Simpler Living: Over 1,500 Ways to Simplify, Streamline, and Remake Your Life The 60 Second Organizer 60 Second Self-Starter: Sixty Solid Techniques to get motivated, get organized, and get going in the workplace. The Complete Idiot's Guide to Managing Stress The 60 Second Procrastinator: Sixty Solid Techniques to Jump-Start Any Project and Get Your Life in Gear

Share This Book