Start by marking “The Joy of Simple Living: Over 1,500 Simple Ways to Make Your Life Easy and Content-- At Home and At Work” as Want to Read:

3.63  ·  Rating Details  ·  131 Ratings  ·  24 Reviews
Chances are, your life is overflowing with unnecessary clutter and confusion-- from the "junk drawer" in the kitchen to the overloaded "in box" at the office to the ever-growing list of tasks to complete and errands to run. With the increasingly hectic, stressful lives that more and more people are leading today, is it possible for anyone to handle the overwhelming demands ...more
Published February 15th 1999 by Rodale Books (first published February 1st 1999)

To ask other readers questions about The Joy of Simple Living, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Joy of Simple Living

Holly Mitchell
Jun 18, 2007 Holly Mitchell added it
Recommends it for: Everyone
Shelves: simpleliving
This book changed my life. It turned me into a person who does not live on "automatic pilot". I got rid of "stuff" that I had to keep cleaning otherwise. And that's friendships too, the ones I felt I had to maintain to be a nice person, even though I felt these people were draining me of my sanity.

This is a wonderful book for simplifying everything in your life, from the inside out and I always recommend it to everyone, especially if they feel lost or overwhelmed with anything that's going on in
Bill
Jun 24, 2009 Bill rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Everyone
Definitely a book worth reading, Davidson makes great points and gives advice you can actually use in your own day-to-day life. Lots of simple tips and tricks that had immediate benefits for me.
Christin
Jun 24, 2009 Christin rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: all
This is a must-read. Seriously, there's a lot of worthy advice about a wide range of topics. In the few days since I've read it, I've already been able to use a lot of the tips and it's been quite helpful.
طريف
Nov 24, 2011 طريف rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
الكتاب يقع تقريبا في 450 صفحة ويتحدث عن كل شيء في الحياة وكيف يمكن تبسيطه ..
يتحدث عن مبادئ البساطة وقواعدها العامة ومسببات التعقيد ثم يتناول عن طريق مئات النصائح والأفكار أساليب لتبسيط المنزل بغرفه وأجزاءه كلها ثم تبسيط إدارة الأعمال من المنزل، تبسيط الحياة المهنية،العلاقات، التغذية، الأنشطة، الرياضة وغيرها ..

الكتاب يضم أفكار مفيدة .. نصيحتي الوحيدة : لا تقرأ هذا الكتاب من الغلاف إلى الغلاف .. إقرأ في كل فترة ما يلزمك فقط وماتشعر انك تحتاجه
Lacey White
Oct 20, 2010 Lacey White rated it it was amazing
I found this book to be quite helpful. It's definitely worth reading and, if you're like me and have a lot of needless complexities in your life, you'll find this book to be a life changer.
James
Jan 13, 2008 James rated it liked it
Helpful tips on simplifying nearly every aspect of your life. Worth a skim for ideas.
Samantha
Oct 22, 2012 Samantha rated it it was amazing
I love this book~ its so jammed pack full of amazing tips, I always come back to it for a fresh take on the minimalism movement.
Anton Klink
Oct 15, 2012 Anton Klink rated it it was ok
This plethora of tips of supposedly simple living contains some interesting pointers on simplifying your life, but the majority of advice is simply about how to be a hood housewife. Plus some of the advice (like flushing expired medicine down the toilet, keeping a mini-fridge next to the sofa for easy snacks and airing the living room after another round of heavy smoking) is terribly dated and hopelessly stuck in the 90s. Additionally, some advice is just plain wrong, like the recommendation to ...more
Aparna Anand
Apr 01, 2013 Aparna Anand rated it liked it
The book generally takes the "eliminate all that you don't want" route.
What i loved was the approach that we can indeed simplify our lives by reducing many excesses and cutting down on unwanted hoarding. Will certainly help a good deal when one sets out to plan and organize one's home, work and life as a whole!
Kelly Smith
Sep 17, 2015 Kelly Smith rated it liked it
This was a cute little book, though a little outdated had some fun tips!

I was really hoping for something that this book wasn't, and a little disappointed because it wasn't what I'd had in mind. Was looking more for a emotional/spiritual side of it; but like I said some good tips!
آلاء
Jun 28, 2013 آلاء rated it really liked it
أول ماوقعت عيني على الكتاب وقرأت عنوانه "متعة الحياة البسيطة" وكان قد كتب على غلافه أكثر من 1500 طريقة للعيش بحياة سهلة شعرت بأني لن ألم بأحد منها لكن سرعان ماتبدد شعوري هذا عندما تصفحت الفهرس وأول مالفت انتباهي به "الفصل 19 القراءة بسهولة" فصل عدل مسار قراءتي وأعطاني حلولا شتى لاكتناز أكبر قدر من القراءة بوقت أقصر وفائدة أكبر..
لقد حل لي ذاك الفصل مشكلتي مع كتب كهذا يحوي زخما من المعلومات ، فحواه ألا عليك أن تقرأ كل كتاب تتناوله يداك من الجلدة إلى الجلدة ماعليك إلا أن تتصفح محتواه من الفهرس وتقو
shagaf .92
Nov 08, 2012 shagaf .92 rated it really liked it
Sally Hannoush
Aug 07, 2014 Sally Hannoush rated it it was amazing
The book is long and informative and is full of ideas to cut back on stress. I've learned a lot of if that I am trying to get in the habit of thinking an different ways and taking action. I was unable to read the whole book but get thro most of it. And otherwise skimmed other chapters. I do obliges myself in reading reviews, tips and paragraph. This did allow one to come to terms to how does
life evils effect on our lives - both good bad.My quotation is truly know what is important.
Think: what is
Hana
Feb 14, 2016 Hana rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
كتاب يوضح فعلا ان البساطه ليست بالبعد عن العالم لان هدا العالم سيستمر في التطور بك وبدونك لكم الحياة البسيطه تلك التي تستغني فيها عن كل الرفاهيه المشبعه لرغباتك والعيش تحت ضل راتبك و عمل يدك
Pooja Sinha
Apr 29, 2014 Pooja Sinha marked it as to-read
Ami
Oct 27, 2009 Ami added it
Shelves: didn-t-finish
Wow, this sucked. I think it was probably aimed to a completely different demographic than me. Watching one hour less of television a week in order to give me 52 extra hours a year to do more...simple things?...didn't hit me as helpful, but rather, that was the point when I decided to put the book down. Blah.
Alathraa .92
يضم هذا الكتاب معلومات كثيرة واساليب متنوعة لتبسيط الحياة في كل جزء من البيت..لم أقرؤه كله انتقيت منه الاجزاء التي تلزمني فقط لأنه يشمل فصولا عدة تناسب جميع الاشخاص..
اعتقد انه من الصعب وغير المفيد قراءته دفعة واحدة..بل من الانسب تواجده في مكتبة المنزل للعودة اليه وقت الحاجة لتطبيق مايكتنز من اساليب..
Andrea
Sep 23, 2008 Andrea rated it it was ok
Shelves: didn-t-finish
Definitely "just okay." I already knew most of the tips in the book; the rest didn't seem like they would be worth trying. Maybe these were new ideas when the book was first published, in the 90s. Might be good for someone who has NO idea how to live more simply.
travelgirlut
I didn't finish this book. I found the advice to be dated and somewhat passive. It wasn't so much a save money type of book as it was just making life easier. Maybe when I'm looking to destress my life this book would be useful, but for not it was not what I was looking for.
Rift Vegan
Jun 15, 2008 Rift Vegan rated it did not like it
Shelves: 2008
giggles. This book is aimed at people who are well-off financially, own their house, have children and don't have a bit of common sense.
Michelle Mullin
Feb 20, 2015 Michelle Mullin rated it liked it
even though this book is dated, it has a lot of useful tips, I'm sure a more recent version would be even better.
Eric Reidsma
Aug 21, 2012 Eric Reidsma rated it did not like it
This book belongs in the junk drawer. Common sense - nothing of value. repetative.
Eileen
Jun 17, 2012 Eileen rated it it was ok
Nothing new here.
k.p.ouseph
k.p.ouseph rated it it was ok
May 04, 2016
Monse
Monse marked it as to-read
May 04, 2016
Eva North
Eva North marked it as to-read
Apr 30, 2016
Chadd Schwartz
Chadd Schwartz marked it as to-read
Apr 29, 2016
Joyce
Joyce marked it as to-read
Apr 27, 2016
  • Overachievement: The New Science of Working Less to Accomplish More
  • Management of the Absurd
  • The Irresistible Offer: How to Sell Your Product or Service in 3 Seconds or Less
  • The Simple Living Guide
  • Simple Living: One Couple's Search for a Better Life
  • The Smartest Investment Book You'll Ever Read: The Simple, Stress-Free Way to Reach Your Investment Goals
  • The Simplicity Reader: Simplify Your Life: 100 Ways to Slow Down & Enjoy the Things That Really Matter
  • Radical Honesty : How to Transform Your Life by Telling the Truth
  • Scratch Beginnings: Me, $25, and the Search for the American Dream
  • Start Your Own Business: The Only Book You'll Ever Need
  • 10,001 Ways to Live Large on a Small Budget
  • The Simple Guide to a Minimalist Life
  • Maximum Achievement: Strategies and Skills that Will Unlock Your Hidden Powers to Succeed
  • Keeping Chickens: The Essential Guide to Enjoying and Getting the Best from Chickens