Girl Genius, Vol. 2: Agatha Heterodyne and the Airship City (Girl Genius #2)

Girl Genius, Vol. 2: Agatha Heterodyne and the Airship City (Girl Genius #2)

4.35 of 5 stars 4.35  ·  rating details  ·  1,484 ratings  ·  46 reviews
In a time when the Industrial Revolution has become an all-out war, Mad Science rules the World...with mixed success. At Transylvania Polygnostic University, Agatha Clay was a student with trouble concentrating and rotten luck. Dedicated to her studies but unable to build anything that actually worked, she seemed destined for a lackluster career as a minor lab assistant. B...more
Published December 1st 2004 by Studio Foglio (first published 2001)

Soulless by Gail CarrigerLeviathan by Scott WesterfeldBoneshaker by Cherie PriestPerdido Street Station by China MiévilleThe Time Machine by H.G. Wells
Best Steampunk Books
125th out of 627 books — 3,126 voters
Soulless by Gail CarrigerPhoenix Rising by Pip BallantineChangeless by Gail CarrigerBlameless by Gail CarrigerThe Last Adventure of Dr. Yngve Hogalum by D.L. Mackenzie
Steampunk
71st out of 304 books — 536 voters

More lists with this book...

Rob
In the second book in the Girl Genius series, we receive a closer look into the workings of Baron Wulfenstein's empire; Agatha and Gilgamesh, the Baron's only son, become better acquainted; and, at the end, we meet an unlikely character who yet is destined to play a central role in Agatha's life story. Book 2 also includes a classic Heterodyne Bros. tale, The Heterodyne Boys and the Dragon King of Mars.

The artwork changes remarkably with the transition to color. I think I like the new color art...more
Katja Weinert
Fabulous series, this second volume gets one less star than the first purely because of the gratuitous scenes of Agatha in her bloomers and the odd way her bosom seems to expand in that state of undress (snigger).

Great plot, lots of humour, action and "Romance!"
Jenny
Full of intelligence, humor, mad science, characters you truly care about, and Girls Who Do Things. A must-read for graphic novel lovers.
Pdoe
Add silliness to taste

Blend.

And enjoy!
Mary Catelli
The second volume is no more complete in itself than Girl Genius Vol. 1 Agatha Heterodyne and the Beetleburg Clank. But it certainly sweeps on with the story and leads to discoveries even before the surprise at the end.

Agatha wakes up. This time not in her father's workshop but in a room she's never seen before. She is, in fact, kept with all the children of nobility and royalty who are called students but are actually hostages. The Baron being convinced that Moloch von Zinzer made the clank, an...more
Miss
THE BONUS STORY ON THIS VOLUME WAS SO RAD. It's like they tailored it exactly to my tastes: smirky badass lady knight defeating evil through the power of cleverness and King Arthur? Yes sir, I will gladly take more. I think this volume overall's a 4 but I need a minute to consider whether I want to upgrade it half a star. It's only three pages but King Arthur and lady knights! The difficult choices I am forced to ponder.

While I ponder that let me tell you about this volume! I liked it a bit more...more
Terry Price
Once again, a lovely, lovely story appropriate for students around 3rd grade and up.

I'm working hard not to spoiler in the Steampunk boiler room. I greatly appreciate the work of the Foglios and their colorist. I do in fact also follow their web comic where this story is continually being updated. Well worth a read. This story is one that sticks in my mind as being some of their best world-building work.

Once again, 5/5 isn't high enough for my tastes.
Marsha
After Dr. Beetle is blown up and Agatha loses her place as a student, she awakens to find herself aboard the airship of the tyrant Baron Klaus Wulfenbach. Being a hostage of the Baron makes her no safer than when she was on the ground, apparently, as she runs afoul of a snooty princess, the dreaded construct Von Pinn, possessed beings known as revenants, a hideous extradimensional intelligence from another world, the bombastic self-aggrandizing Othar Tryggvassen and Jägermonsters who find her cu...more
Fantasy Literature
Adventure! Romance! MAD SCIENCE!

I don’t read many graphic novels — though I’ve tried many of them, they’re just not my thing. In fact, I only read one graphic novel and that’s GIRL GENIUS by Phil & Kaja Foglio. I love this comic and I must not be the only one —it’s won the Hugo Award three times (and lots of other awards, too). Therefore, I was thrilled to see that Tor is releasing hardback omnibus versions of GIRL GENIUS because this comic is a work of art that deserves to be beautifully bo...more
Caleb
My local library is awesome. It (or at least the county library system) has this series, all sorts of other comics and manga, and even Dr. Horrible's Sing-Along-Blog on DVD.

I reviewed Volume 1 not long ago. I think Volume 2 is where this series really gets going. I love airships, too. The sheer amount of stuff happening and things to see and people to meet -- it's skillfully handled, never too overwhelming, but the art (especially in color) is amazing.

The end of the book has a fun bonus story th...more
Raj
Jun 12, 2011 Raj rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Steampunk fans
Volume two of the ongoing webcomic Girl Genius, this volume introduces us to the giant airship Castle Wulfenbach and a whole bunch of new characters as Agatha tries to understand this new world that she's been forcibly introduced to.

I've been reading Girl Genius for a while now but it's nice to go back and start again, and read it in a much more compressed format, rather than three pages a week. It makes it much easier to follow the story and remember the characters, not to mention flick back if...more
Sheila Beaumont
The second entry in an awesomely entertaining steampunk series of graphic novels. On to the third!
Helder
A perfect continuation! *Gil and Agatha* OMG!!!
Molly
Another fun read.
Emilyn
I am really enjoying these graphic novels. In vol. 2, Agatha is taken hostage by the baron. He believes the man she was with at the end of vol. 1 is the spark and brings her along as his assistant. Much of vol. 2 is spent with Agatha getting used to her new surroundings and hashing it out with Von Zinzer. She also seems to spend a lot of time waking up in public places in nothing but her underwear.

Wonderful, entertaining graphic novel.
Lori
Originally published online as a Web comic (where it can be found at www.girlgeniusonline.com), this series follows the exploits of a young woman, Agatha, who discovers she is the lost heir to a long-feared dynasty. Instead of a terribly serious version of this tale, the author/artist stick to humor over horrors. Still friends and enemies die, leaving their mark on Agatha as she grows to understand who she is and what she can do.
Jay
Jan 09, 2012 Jay rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2012
The drawings in this book are much better, much more realistic, than the ones in the previous book from this series. The story has a little more depth, too. I'm more interested in seeing what happens next. I'll definitely read the next book in the series because I already have it in hand, but I'm not sure I'll keep on after that. There are some really funny parts, but not quite enough to really keep me picking these up.
Tabitha
This volume was really tight but not suffocating. I liked the fact that they kept it to just a few specific locations within a slightly larger base area. What could have been a little overly-limited was just very very focused.
Story-wise, the Girl Genius world delivers fun and drama in a fantastic ratio as usual. I can't get enough of Agatha and her cohorts. Looking forward to more clanks!
Ted
Jun 25, 2011 Ted rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Steampunk fans
This series keeps getting better and better. I'm really enjoying the steampunk stuff, and Agatha's personality and attitude towards other characters.

The only problem I have is that I occasionally have to re-read the dialogs from the Jagerkin (the goblin / monster looking guys) - az they telk lik diz.

I will definitely continue reading this great series.
David C
I love Girl Genius. It's so addictive. Just the right the amount of humour, sexiness, and adventure mixed together.

(I've actually read much further with the online webcomic but I can't remember where I left off and the bookmark is hidden away in a folder somewhere. Plus, I think a lot of the context has gone now, so I'm keen to re-read from this point...)
Christina (Boupie)
Okay this will not be much of a review because this one really doesn't need it but I LOVE Gil! He is charming, witty, and clever. Oh and he likes my girl Agatha, what more does he need? This series continues to entertain and I will continue to read them. Again printed is much better than online.
John
Not as vivid, nor as humorous, as the original comic. I wish there had been some more new material (there probably is some, but I felt like I was just rereading the original), and any fiction author who uses the phrase "on a daily basis" should be fined.
Lorelei
Just as delightful at the first one, maybe even a little better. I don't know what else to say. It's a silly story, but one doesn't read comic books for serious drama. Just good fun with a lot of amazing artwork.
Nicole
The story continues with Agatha awakens in a strange room surrounded by new people, Meanwhile people are beginning to piece together who Agatha really is, but can Agatha figure it out before anyone else.
Christine
I'm getting really sick of looking at Agatha in her ridiculous underwear. In fact, i hate the way she's drawn. But I like the story a lot! And, there are wonderful details to look at on every page.
BA Matthews
Loved it. But I read the webcomic as well, so I am definitely a fan. Unsurprisingly, this book is Awesome if you get it from Audible.com. The girl they have doing the voice is amazing.
Dustin
The second volume in the comic series. I really enjoy the series and I think this volume really does a good job introducing more of the setting and one of the series main antagonists.
Catherine
A good romping adventure, though I sometimes found the graphics a bit distracting. Not exactly my favoured style of illustration, but they definitely fit the energy of the story.
Chris Hays
Book picks up and adds some new twist. One can start to piece together mystery and story flows much better. I doubt there will ever be an ending to this comic.
Shanna
Continuing where Agatha left off in the previous volume, it's just as engaging as the previous, if not more due to the drastic change in color and graphics. Love it.
  • Gunnerkrigg Court, Vol. 2: Research (Gunnerkrigg Court #2)
  • The Tub of Happiness (Schlock Mercenary, #1)
  • Digger, Volume Two
  • Sorcerers & Secretaries: Volume 2
  • Ruse, Vol. 2: The Silent Partner
  • FreakAngels, Volume 2 (FreakAngels, #2)
  • Questionable Content, Vol. 1
  • Blue Beetle, Vol. 3: Reach for the Stars
  • Blue Beetle, Volume 1: Shellshocked
  • The Order of the Stick: No Cure for the Paladin Blues (The Order of the Stick, #2)
  • Diana Comet and Other Improbable Stories
  • Bizenghast Volume 3
  • Vögelein: Clockwork Faerie (Vögelein, #1)
A popular science fiction fan artist in the 1970s, Phil Foglio began writing and drawing cartoons and comics professionally in the 1980s. His work includes "Magic: The Gathering," "Buck Godot," and the popular series of comics and novels, "Girl Genius," co-written with his wife, Kaja Foglio.

Awards:
Hugo Award for Best Fan Artist (1977 and 1978)
Hugo Award for Best Graphic Story (2009, 2010, 2011)
More about Phil Foglio...
Girl Genius, Vol. 1: Agatha Heterodyne and the Beetleburg Clank (Girl Genius #1) Girl Genius, Vol. 3: Agatha Heterodyne and the Monster Engine (Girl Genius #3) Agatha H and the Airship City (Girl Genius) Girl Genius, Vol. 5: Agatha Heterodyne and the Clockwork Princess (Girl Genius #5) Girl Genius, Vol. 4: Agatha Heterodyne and the Circus of Dreams