Start by marking “Neighbour Rosicky” as Want to Read:
Neighbour Rosicky

Neighbour Rosicky

Do your students enjoy a good laugh? Do they like to be scared? Or do they just like a book with a happy ending? No matter what their taste, our Creative Short Stories series has the answer.We've taken some of the world's best stories from dark, musty anthologies and brought them into the light, giving them the individual attention they deserve. Each book in the series has ...more
Published April 1st 1986 by Creative Education (first published January 1st 1932)

To ask other readers questions about Neighbour Rosicky, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Neighbour Rosicky

My Ántonia by Willa CatherThe Grapes of Wrath by John SteinbeckLittle House on the Prairie by Laura Ingalls WilderBury My Heart at Wounded Knee by Dee BrownO Pioneers! by Willa Cather
The Great Plains
111th out of 158 books — 87 voters
O Pioneers! by Willa CatherDeath Comes for the Archbishop by Willa CatherMy Ántonia by Willa CatherAlexander's Bridge by Willa CatherThe Professor's House by Willa Cather
Best of Willa Cather
46th out of 101 books — 5 voters

More lists with this book...

Duane
A classic Cather tale of Rosicky, who had a heart as big as the prairie he called home. The patriarch of a struggling Bohemian family who earned the love and respect of everyone who knew him. Cather told a version of this story dozens of times, but each one is as fresh and endearing as the last.
Etta Mcquade
Jan 05, 2012 Etta Mcquade rated it it was amazing
This long short story became a part of my life in the early 1960s when Dr. Robert Thomas of Brigham Young University read it in its entirety to our literature class, which brought tears to my eyes several times. I was so touched by the sensitive writing of the author and of the life of this extraordinary man that I memorized parts of the story and have given them as readings at Thanksgiving and Christmas for over 45 years. It is my favorite of Willa Cather.
Synthia
Sep 20, 2014 Synthia rated it liked it
Kary had me read this (a story he teaches) after we toured Ellis Island. This is based on a true story of an early immigrant. Kary loves it because it shows how some people are happy and feel rich with a simple non- glamourous life. It's a good story for what it is. I enjoyed reading it because of having just toured and learned more about the early immigrants; However, once was enough. (thus the 3 star rating)

Katie
Jan 02, 2015 Katie rated it it was amazing
This is Cather at her finest. Even in a short story, she manages to create the sense of time slowed and life experienced more fully.
Paulina Sanchez
May 07, 2014 Paulina Sanchez rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love this short story, it is about life, and family. It is about a man who is diagnosed with a heart problem and who, in his last moments with his family he reminisces about his life and about the life that he has left for his family. It is a story that really shows us what should be important in our lives, not money, fame, titles, but a good honest life, filled with love and hard work, no matter what life throws our way.
Stefan Jung
Feb 02, 2014 Stefan Jung rated it it was amazing
My favorite short story in all of literature. Being from the Great Plains and a farming family myself, this story speaks to me like no other story I've ever read.
Nancy
Apr 04, 2014 Nancy rated it it was amazing
I absolutely loved this short story!
Angie
Probably a 4.5 star read. Willa Cather is so good at making you fall immediately in love with her characters, her sweet, nostalgic descriptions and comfortable word choices. I always feel right at home reading Cather, like I've been invited to pull up a chair in a favorite relative's cozy kitchen. Though there were no overly dramatic plot twists or adventures, I loved the main character, his reflections of his youth, and his sweet, fatherly kinship with his daughter-in-law. Lovely little story.
Jill
Apr 25, 2014 Jill rated it it was amazing
Okay, I am now a major fan of Willa Cather. This is a truly beautiful story. I am in awe.
Maggie
Mar 10, 2009 Maggie rated it it was amazing
This is by far my favorite of Willa Cather's. I love how she so eliquently describes the shift from farm and country to factory/city and how it affect the human soul. Still leaves a longing in my heart just thinking about it!
Lori
May 03, 2010 Lori rated it it was amazing
I read this in a collection of short stories by Willa Cather and this one was my favorite. You come to know and love this man Rosicky and have a great apreciation for his pioneer spirit.
Joyce Dunklee
Jun 23, 2012 Joyce Dunklee rated it liked it
It was very difficult at times because the dialog was in broken English, but the heart of the story was very good. The imagery was strong and the characters were visible.
Andrew
Apr 14, 2009 Andrew rated it really liked it
Shelves: short-stories
Really great story. I still remember the loving kindness of Rosicky more than I remember the ending.
Nagisa
Nov 10, 2013 Nagisa rated it it was amazing
Shelves: american, 1900-1949
If you know, or have ever met someone like Rosicky, you're lucky. :) He's such a sweet, caring person.
Jennifer M. Hartsock
Apr 19, 2011 Jennifer M. Hartsock rated it really liked it
For a modernist writer, Willa Cather shows us how the American Dream isn't for everyone.
Alacrity
Mar 03, 2012 Alacrity rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: everyone!
Very interesting, I enjoyed reading the story and wished that it won't finish!
Eloise
Jan 05, 2012 Eloise rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
One of our dear friend Mae's favorites and a favorite of mine and my husband's.
Emma Mohr
Emma Mohr rated it liked it
Sep 15, 2016
Georgia
Georgia marked it as to-read
Sep 01, 2016
Mothman
Mothman marked it as to-read
Aug 29, 2016
Tihare Salazar
Tihare Salazar marked it as to-read
Aug 25, 2016
Rebecca
Rebecca marked it as to-read
Aug 18, 2016
Ola Jagiełło
Ola Jagiełło rated it really liked it
Aug 18, 2016
Anne
Anne marked it as to-read
Aug 05, 2016
Amanda
Amanda marked it as to-read
Jul 23, 2016
Kristine Milicia
Kristine Milicia marked it as to-read
Jul 18, 2016
Tyler Conner
Tyler Conner rated it really liked it
Jun 22, 2016
Amiel
Amiel rated it it was ok
Jun 20, 2016
Heather Mize
Heather Mize marked it as to-read
Jun 19, 2016
Erin Shine
Erin Shine marked it as to-read
Jun 10, 2016
  • The Celestial Omnibus and other Stories
  • "Sweat"
  • Lost Boy: A Novella
  • A White Heron
  • Horse of a Different Color: Reminiscences of a Kansas Drover (Little Britches, #8)
Wilella Sibert Cather was born in Back Creek Valley, Virgina (Gore) in December 7, 1873. Her novels on frontier life brought her to national recognition. In 1923 she was awarded the Pulitzer Prize for her novel, One of Ours (1922), set during World War I. She grew up in Virginia and Nebraska. She then attended the University of Nebraska, initially planning to become a physician, but after writing ...more
More about Willa Cather...