Neighbour Rosicky

Neighbour Rosicky

4.12 of 5 stars 4.12  ·  rating details  ·  110 ratings  ·  12 reviews
Do your students enjoy a good laugh? Do they like to be scared? Or do they just like a book with a happy ending? No matter what their taste, our Creative Short Stories series has the answer.We've taken some of the world's best stories from dark, musty anthologies and brought them into the light, giving them the individual attention they deserve. Each book in the series has...more
Published April 1st 1986 by Creative Education (first published January 1st 1932)

Etta Mcquade
This long short story became a part of my life in the early 1960s when Dr. Robert Thomas of Brigham Young University read it in its entirety to our literature class, which brought tears to my eyes several times. I was so touched by the sensitive writing of the author and of the life of this extraordinary man that I memorized parts of the story and have given them as readings at Thanksgiving and Christmas for over 45 years. It is my favorite of Willa Cather.
Stefan Jung
My favorite short story in all of literature. Being from the Great Plains and a farming family myself, this story speaks to me like no other story I've ever read.
Nancy
I absolutely loved this short story!
Angie
Probably a 4.5 star read. Willa Cather is so good at making you fall immediately in love with her characters, her sweet, nostalgic descriptions and comfortable word choices. I always feel right at home reading Cather, like I've been invited to pull up a chair in a favorite relative's cozy kitchen. Though there were no overly dramatic plot twists or adventures, I loved the main character, his reflections of his youth, and his sweet, fatherly kinship with his daughter-in-law. Lovely little story.
Maggie
This is by far my favorite of Willa Cather's. I love how she so eliquently describes the shift from farm and country to factory/city and how it affect the human soul. Still leaves a longing in my heart just thinking about it!
Lori
I read this in a collection of short stories by Willa Cather and this one was my favorite. You come to know and love this man Rosicky and have a great apreciation for his pioneer spirit.
Joyce Dunklee
It was very difficult at times because the dialog was in broken English, but the heart of the story was very good. The imagery was strong and the characters were visible.
Andrew
Really great story. I still remember the loving kindness of Rosicky more than I remember the ending.
Nagisa
If you know, or have ever met someone like Rosicky, you're lucky. :) He's such a sweet, caring person.
Jennifer M. Hartsock
For a modernist writer, Willa Cather shows us how the American Dream isn't for everyone.
Alacrity
Mar 03, 2012 Alacrity rated it 5 of 5 stars Recommends it for: everyone!
Very interesting, I enjoyed reading the story and wished that it won't finish!
Eloise
One of our dear friend Mae's favorites and a favorite of mine and my husband's.
Jill
Jill is currently reading it
Apr 15, 2014
Meghan
Meghan marked it as to-read
Apr 11, 2014
Erica Spangler
Erica Spangler marked it as to-read
Apr 10, 2014
Paulina Sanchez
Paulina Sanchez is currently reading it
Apr 08, 2014
Eileen
Eileen marked it as to-read
Apr 05, 2014
Kate
Kate added it
Apr 04, 2014
Hali
Hali marked it as to-read
Apr 01, 2014
Ethan
Ethan added it
Mar 19, 2014
Rheannon
Rheannon marked it as to-read
Mar 18, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
Wilella Sibert Cather is an eminent author from the United States. She is perhaps best known for her depictions of U.S. life in novels such as O Pioneers!, My Ántonia, and Death Comes for the Archbishop.

More about Willa Cather...
My Antonia O Pioneers! (Great Plains Trilogy, #1) Death Comes for the Archbishop The Song of the Lark The Professor's House