Start by marking “Neighbour Rosicky” as Want to Read:
Neighbour Rosicky

Neighbour Rosicky

4.09 of 5 stars 4.09  ·  rating details  ·  155 ratings  ·  16 reviews
Do your students enjoy a good laugh? Do they like to be scared? Or do they just like a book with a happy ending? No matter what their taste, our Creative Short Stories series has the answer.We've taken some of the world's best stories from dark, musty anthologies and brought them into the light, giving them the individual attention they deserve. Each book in the series has ...more
Published April 1st 1986 by Creative Education (first published January 1st 1932)

To ask other readers questions about Neighbour Rosicky, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Neighbour Rosicky

Etta Mcquade
This long short story became a part of my life in the early 1960s when Dr. Robert Thomas of Brigham Young University read it in its entirety to our literature class, which brought tears to my eyes several times. I was so touched by the sensitive writing of the author and of the life of this extraordinary man that I memorized parts of the story and have given them as readings at Thanksgiving and Christmas for over 45 years. It is my favorite of Willa Cather.
Synthia
Kary had me read this (a story he teaches) after we toured Ellis Island. This is based on a true story of an early immigrant. Kary loves it because it shows how some people are happy and feel rich with a simple non- glamourous life. It's a good story for what it is. I enjoyed reading it because of having just toured and learned more about the early immigrants; However, once was enough. (thus the 3 star rating)

Katie
This is Cather at her finest. Even in a short story, she manages to create the sense of time slowed and life experienced more fully.
Paulina Sanchez
I love this short story, it is about life, and family. It is about a man who is diagnosed with a heart problem and who, in his last moments with his family he reminisces about his life and about the life that he has left for his family. It is a story that really shows us what should be important in our lives, not money, fame, titles, but a good honest life, filled with love and hard work, no matter what life throws our way.
Stefan Jung
My favorite short story in all of literature. Being from the Great Plains and a farming family myself, this story speaks to me like no other story I've ever read.
Nancy
I absolutely loved this short story!
Angie
Probably a 4.5 star read. Willa Cather is so good at making you fall immediately in love with her characters, her sweet, nostalgic descriptions and comfortable word choices. I always feel right at home reading Cather, like I've been invited to pull up a chair in a favorite relative's cozy kitchen. Though there were no overly dramatic plot twists or adventures, I loved the main character, his reflections of his youth, and his sweet, fatherly kinship with his daughter-in-law. Lovely little story.
Jill
Okay, I am now a major fan of Willa Cather. This is a truly beautiful story. I am in awe.
Maggie
This is by far my favorite of Willa Cather's. I love how she so eliquently describes the shift from farm and country to factory/city and how it affect the human soul. Still leaves a longing in my heart just thinking about it!
Lori
I read this in a collection of short stories by Willa Cather and this one was my favorite. You come to know and love this man Rosicky and have a great apreciation for his pioneer spirit.
Joyce Dunklee
It was very difficult at times because the dialog was in broken English, but the heart of the story was very good. The imagery was strong and the characters were visible.
Andrew
Really great story. I still remember the loving kindness of Rosicky more than I remember the ending.
Nagisa
If you know, or have ever met someone like Rosicky, you're lucky. :) He's such a sweet, caring person.
Jennifer M. Hartsock
For a modernist writer, Willa Cather shows us how the American Dream isn't for everyone.
Alacrity
Mar 03, 2012 Alacrity rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: everyone!
Very interesting, I enjoyed reading the story and wished that it won't finish!
Eloise
One of our dear friend Mae's favorites and a favorite of mine and my husband's.
Shane
Shane marked it as to-read
Jun 11, 2015
Avery
Avery marked it as to-read
Jun 05, 2015
Sarah marked it as to-read
Jun 01, 2015
Dee
Dee marked it as to-read
May 31, 2015
Morgan
Morgan marked it as to-read
May 16, 2015
Abbie
Abbie added it
May 11, 2015
Ana Allen
Ana Allen marked it as to-read
Apr 30, 2015
Amanda
Amanda marked it as to-read
Apr 29, 2015
  • Eleven
  • Miss Brill
  • Malcolm X: By Any Means Necessary
  • A&P: Lust in the Aisles
  • Horse of a Different Color: Reminiscences of a Kansas Drover (Little Britches, #8)
  • The Guest (Creative Short Stories)
Wilella Sibert Cather was born in Back Creek Valley, Virgina (Gore) in December 7, 1873. Her novels on frontier life brought her to national recognition. In 1923 she was awarded the Pulitzer Prize for her novel, One of Ours (1922), set during World War I. She grew up in Virginia and Nebraska. She then attended the University of Nebraska, initially planning to become a physician, but after writing ...more
More about Willa Cather...
My Antonia O Pioneers! (Great Plains Trilogy, #1) Death Comes for the Archbishop The Song of the Lark One of Ours