Start by marking “25 Things Every New Mother Should Know” as Want to Read:
25 Things Every New Mother Should Know

25 Things Every New Mother Should Know

An insightful handbook in an attractive format for new mothers by parenting experts, Martha and William Sears.
Published March 1st 2005 by Harvard Common Press

To ask other readers questions about 25 Things Every New Mother Should Know, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about 25 Things Every New Mother Should Know

jacky
Sep 13, 2009 jacky rated it liked it
This book was in direct opposition to the Babywise book I read previously. (Major points of disagreement were parents passivizing their babies vs babies learning to calm themselves, the regularity of feedings, and co-sleeping). I felt this book was a little misleading because the cover and set up make it appear to be a fluff book gift book you'd buy in a card shop, but actually the content is very opinionated. I wasn't expecting that and thus didn't respond well to it. While I agree with a lot o ...more
Liz
Aug 16, 2014 Liz rated it it was ok
Shelves: borrowed, 2013, parenting
There were some good points in this book, but overall I felt that some of the "things mothers should know" were more exhortations and strong-armed suggestions on how to react to/raise an infant. While I don't doubt the Sears' knowledge, experience, training and wisdom, the manner in which this book was written more often implies that parents are 'doing it wrong' if they choose another tactic.

Additionally, the book seemed awfully repetitive at times: there are several chapters where the main poi
Roslyn
Jul 19, 2010 Roslyn rated it did not like it
I bought this in an amazon bundle during pregnancy and it was not clearly marked attachment parenting, so it made this mom feel like a slacker since I don't breastfeed, wear my baby, co-sleep, and am not able to afford to quit my job. Talk about feeling like I am letting my little one down...though I am willing to fight to the death and say she and I are still bonded and attached- so take THAT, Martha Sears!
Sara
Jul 18, 2012 Sara rated it it was ok
While I do some attachment parenting things (breastfeeding, babywearing, feeding on demand, comforting her when she cries, etc), I can't love any philosophy that 1) really things of men as big doofuses that couldn't possibly do 50% of the childrearing and 2) thinks that it's best if women don't work. So, some good advice, but not totally my thing.
Rachel
Mar 18, 2008 Rachel rated it it was amazing
loved it! very helpful in it's encouragement to just love and "be" with your baby in the early days ( yes-i needed permission to do this and not worry about housework!), to really get to know your baby, to trust your intuition and that you (the parent) are the expert on your own baby.
Susan
Oct 12, 2009 Susan rated it liked it
I read this when Lola was born too. It's just a nice little book, a little summary, refresher of their whole attachment parenting philosophy. I guess it's aimed to pregnant ladies or mommies just home from the hospital. It's a nice and easy to read in small chunks.
Jun 17, 2007 Sarah rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Any parent or parent-to-be
I really agreed with Martha Sears' advice, it was simple, straight-forward, and full of love... it really made sense to me and I plan to keep it close at hand until my kids have made it past the toddler stage!
Amber
Sep 20, 2012 Amber rated it did not like it
I think this is supposed to be encouraging, but it kind of sounds like a nagging grandmother/mother/mother-in-law telling you what to do.
Amanda
Dec 25, 2007 Amanda rated it liked it
Recommends it for: pregnant women, new moms
Shelves: momsense
Made me feel a little guilty about things I hadn't done, but overall beautiful look at the natural love between mother and newborn baby.
Buford Betty
Nov 07, 2011 Buford Betty rated it liked it
Has some good tips and sweet sentiments, but it's definitely swayed heavily toward attachment parenting (co-sleeping, etc).
Provvi
Jan 04, 2009 Provvi rated it it was ok
Not my favorite book. Some of the advice is a little out dated (at least the version I had.
Jul 15, 2011 Laura rated it liked it
lots of good advice for new moms and a good introduction to attachment parenting also
Karen
Dec 02, 2007 Karen rated it it was amazing
I think if I have any close friends have a baby, they should get this as a shower gift.
Melissa
Mar 21, 2010 Melissa rated it it was amazing
This was an encouraging read. It's perfect for a new mother!
Pam Reeder
Nancy
Nancy rated it liked it
Aug 29, 2016
Laura Owen
Laura Owen rated it really liked it
Jun 23, 2016
Hilary Johnson
Hilary Johnson rated it really liked it
Jan 10, 2016
Ashley Coleman
Ashley Coleman rated it liked it
Nov 17, 2015
Tina Nicholson
Tina Nicholson marked it as to-read
Nov 02, 2015
Erin
Erin marked it as to-read
Sep 28, 2015
Melissa
Melissa rated it liked it
Aug 11, 2015
Bridget Hall
Bridget Hall marked it as to-read
Aug 09, 2015
Deepika
Deepika marked it as to-read
Jun 20, 2015
Sweetpea
Sweetpea marked it as to-read
Jan 18, 2015
Dragonr
Dragonr marked it as to-read
Dec 19, 2014
Lydia
Lydia rated it it was amazing
Dec 07, 2014