Start by marking “Eyes of Prey (Lucas Davenport, #3)” as Want to Read:
Eyes of Prey (Lucas Davenport, #3)

Eyes of Prey (Lucas Davenport #3)

4.18  ·  Rating Details ·  16,909 Ratings  ·  462 Reviews
Lucas Davenport, "one of the best hard-case cops on the crime scene today" (Houston Post) returns in John Sandford's #1New York Times bestselling Prey series...

Mass Market Paperback, 358 pages
Published March 6th 2007 by G.P. Putnam's Sons (first published April 4th 1991)

To ask other readers questions about Eyes of Prey, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Eyes of Prey

Stephanie
Solid mystery - Third in Lucas Davenport series

Note that this review may contain spoilers for books 1 and 2. This is a great series that should be read in order.

I loved Eyes of Prey even more than the last two in series! The book picks up right where Shadow Prey left off. Davenport is battling depression after the battle in his home against the last villain. He is estranged from his girlfriend (mother of his child).

A chilling type of villain in this one. Actually, a pair of villains. Maybe the
Obsidian
Jan 05, 2016 Obsidian rated it did not like it
Shelves: buddy-read
This review spoils the events in the first two books in the series, so skip over if you don't want to be spoiled. Though I think I am doing a PSA by spoiling this book anyway, for those that may hate themselves enough to start reading this series.

After a brutal murder of a woman in her home (and seriously, I can do without anymore horrible murders perpetuated by men against women for a while now) a witness is left who saw the murderer.

Lucas is called up to help lead the investigation. The captai
Scott Rhee
Jan 05, 2015 Scott Rhee rated it really liked it
When last I met Lucas Davenport, the hero-detective of John Sanford’s long-running and continually bestselling series, I’ll be honest: I hated him. In “Silent Prey”, the book prior to “Eyes of Prey” (the third in the series), Davenport was cheating on his girlfriend, who had just given birth to his daughter. The woman he was having an affair with was married, and despite her attempts to end the affair, Davenport kept pushing her into it. He was a narcissistic and borderline sociopathic asshole ...more
James Thane
Sep 15, 2010 James Thane rated it liked it
This is the third book in John Sandford's long-running series featuring Lucas Davenport, and it features probably the most vile and complex villain of the entire series. Actually, there are two major bad guys. One is much more intelligent and much scarier than the other and, not surprisingly, he is the one pulling the strings in a series of murders inspired by the old Alfred Hitchcock film, "Strangers on a Train."

The mastermind's plan goes awry right from the start and the bad guys are left scra
Craig *ARISEN FROM THE ABYSS*
Loved the villains in this one.
William
Oct 03, 2016 William rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
What a mess. Some good ideas to update Strangers on a Train, but made over-complicated and dull, too. The villain is graphically repulsive, with far too much cartoon madness. The ending has a half-clever but inconsequential twist.

Where book #1 Rules of Prey showed great promise, and book #2 Shadow Prey opened a world of Indian suffering as well as courage, and without letting Davenport become too much of a stinking monster, this Eyes of Prey is dissatisfying on so many levels.

I wish I had stop
Kennedy
Oct 15, 2012 Kennedy rated it liked it
Brent Soderstrum
Feb 20, 2015 Brent Soderstrum rated it it was amazing
This is book 3 from the Lucas Davenport series. It is the best so far. I love twists and this one has one right at the end which I didn't see coming.

Davenport is down in the dumps. His former girlfriend and mother of his daughter has left him. He takes out his anger on a pimp beating him to a pulp. He finally turns to an investigation to help him get out of his funk.

Lucas is investigating the killing of Dr. Michael Bekker's wife. Her face was smashed up and her eyes removed. At the same time an
aPriL does feral sometimes
"It wasn't quite human, the thing that pulled itself across the kitchen floor. Not quite human--eyes gone, brain damaged, bleeding--but it was alive and it had a purpose: the telephone."

Need I say cozy readers will not continue past page 16?

Lucas Davenport isn't doing so well and he doesn't even know yet about the eye-taking murderers who have shown up on his patch. He's hurting over the departure of the woman and child he thoughtlessly treated like used cars. He is so down that when he gets the
Derek
Nov 10, 2013 Derek rated it really liked it
The third book in the long-running PREY series is a major improvement over the second book, which I felt was much weaker than the first installment. Lucas Davenport is in a deep depression following the events of the second book, and only a new love interest he meets while tracking a particularly bizarre murderer seems to pull him out of it. This book is much darker than the previous two, and that's really saying something. It's a much more cohesive novel than the second, and it doesn't get as ...more
Tom
Jun 08, 2014 Tom rated it really liked it
Very dark, violent - Davenport is sinking and struggles with a case full of near-misses and misdirections.
Mappi
Jul 23, 2009 Mappi rated it really liked it
Overall - 4.5/5 : Interesting

Plot - 4/5 : Amazing Plot development. A series of Murder in which the victims eyes are completely destroyed, sends Lucas to all corners withour any results, as the murder suspects have a very strong alibis during the time of murders. Driven into this web of chance, Lucas depends on the aide of an eye victness and the victims secret lover, the Loverboy, to get the serial killer. The main problem with it is, the Loverboy wants and remains a secret.

Writting - 4/5 : Mo
Kristin
Nov 11, 2011 Kristin rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery, audio-books
This was a very long audiobook, something like 14+ hours? 12 disks at any rate. The reader has a very methodical - almost slow - delivery so I fully admit it was hard to just let the story unfold when I wanted to know what happens NOW. I'm impatient that way.

I read this one to tide me over until the new Virgil Flowers (#5) becomes available at the library. And because I'm slowly working my way through the Davenport series.

I love the twists and turns all the characters took in this one. Lucas i
Dana
Jan 25, 2009 Dana rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Lucas Davenport is a Minneapolis cop who is burned out. He has lost his family and had a very bad close-out to a murder investigation. He is severely depressed. He is assigned to a particularly gruesome case. Will he survive this one?

Stephanie Bekker was brutally killed and her eyes cut out. The most viable suspect, her husband, has an airtight alibi. Her killer is a scarred emotional cold person.

A couple of days later the manager of a small theater is killed in a very similar fashion. The most
Dr. Thomas Wasser
Mar 14, 2015 Dr. Thomas Wasser rated it it was amazing
First let me say that I John Sandford and the Lucas Davenport series on good reads. It came up with recommendations and I have not been disappointed. This is the third in the series and I am reading them in order. This has been the best of the three by far. I do not give five-star ratings. Easily but this book was fantastic. I can’t read them fast enough.

No spoilers here, but the book is full of twists and turns up to the very last page. The book is of course dated because it was written a long
Daniel
Aug 05, 2015 Daniel rated it really liked it
A short take:

This is the Davenport story I was looking for! Bekker is, indeed, a wicked creation, and his scenes pulled me in far more than a villain's usually does. Davenport suffers some more, and I give Sandford a lot of credit for emphasizing his here's mortality so early in the series. This book confirms that picking up the Prey series was a good thing to do.

More thoughts:

Davenport is such an interesting character. At this point, he is 40, financially well off, respected on the force, used
Richard Ward
Dec 13, 2013 Richard Ward rated it really liked it
I liked the first Lucas Davenport book, but didn't like the second one much. This one I liked almost as much as the first. I'm still not sure how much I really like Lucas Davenport as the protagonist of a long series, though he's worked out for John Sandford's pocketbook.

As I read through this one, I kept saying to myself, "OK, I know how this is going to go." Only it seldom did go as I expected. In fact, there were at least one or two plot twists that took me by surprise 100%.

As always with th

Melanie
My plunge into the Prey series began with Sandford's most recent book, Buried Prey. I thoroughly indulged in the book and got hooked on the series, but now that I'm going back and reading all of the books in order, I have to admit that Eyes has been my least favorite so far. While it is more complex in the sense that more than one murderer is involved, I probably didn't like it because there wasn't enough continuity between Shadow Prey (#2) and Eyes of Prey (#3). Lucas isn't in a good emotional ...more
Yolanda
May 11, 2014 Yolanda rated it really liked it
Lucas Davenport is back fighting crime and some personal demons. An interesting story involing the theater and medical doctors. It can make some of the strongest stomachs a little squimish about eyes. I liked the way it wrapped up in the end, nice touch.
Sep 26, 2016 Steve rated it really liked it
It's been a long time since I read this one last. What a great book! As always, John Sandford has the baddest, bad guys…just nuts. His books scare me a lot more than Stephen King or any of those guys…these bad guys could be real! I totally forgot about the surprise ending as well.
Tim
Jun 09, 2014 Tim rated it really liked it
A typical well done crime novel featuring Davenport, his demons, along with a psycho killer or two. 8 of 10 stars
Don P
Oct 03, 2014 Don P rated it really liked it
Another good Davenport installment. I found the mystery to be interesting (if brutal), and I enjoyed seeing Davenport put the clues together. On to the next one!
Kathy Davie
Jun 02, 2014 Kathy Davie rated it it was amazing
Shelves: thriller
Third in the Lucas Davenport thriller series revolving around a dirty, yet honest cop based in Minneapolis.

My Take
I don’t normally read introductions. It’s more of a hit-or-miss, if I’m in the mood kind of thing, yet I’m finding Sandford’s introductions interesting. They add an extra depth --- and horror --- to the story I’m reading. This one, in particular, is very useful for writers as Sandford talks about how the gruesome bits developed, the questions he asked himself. Do not read too much in
Nicola
Nov 22, 2016 Nicola rated it liked it
Shelves: crime, serial-killer
The tone is similar to Book #1 (rather than Book #2) so it goes back to a James Patterson kind of feel. I'll give him this, Bekker is seriously creepy and screwed up. There are some interesting ideas in the book, references to 'Strangers on a Train', Dorian Grey, mirroring (i.e. Davenport is pretty screwed up by the end as well). It's an okay book but I dislike the attitude/tone towards women (who are pretty much shallow secondary characters that are around to screw, kill, or manipulate by both ...more
Sara
Nov 18, 2016 Sara rated it really liked it
This was pretty entertaining, if you don't mind a bit of violent murder in your novels. It's fun to read for us Minnesotans since this series is set in the Twin Cities and many familiar places are mentioned. Because this particular part of the series dates back to the early 90s, there are parts that are just plain dated. Lucas Davenport has his IBM and his beeper- high technology in that era.
Catherine
Nov 11, 2016 Catherine rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this book.
Lieutenant Davenport’s sanity was nearly shattered by two murder investigations. Now he faces something worse…Two killers. One hideously scarred. The other strikingly handsome, a master manipulator fascinated with all aspects of death. The dark mirror of Davenport’s soul…This is the case that will bring Davenport back to life. Or push him over the edge.
Berta Kleiner
I follow Kemper and started reading this series because of his reviews.

At this point, I do not see what is so likeable about Mr. Davenport. Ok, he is well to do and drives a Porsche. He is sexy, I take Mr. Sandford’s word for it. But he never seems to hesitate to put other people in danger, and when that gets them killed, he doesn’t even say „Oops“. Because, you know, that’s what serial killers do, they kill people.
Oct 17, 2016 Steve rated it really liked it
For a story where Sandford let's us know from the start who the killer is he keeps one's attention through all the action of the chase. This story gives the background of why Lucas has to leave the Minneapolis police department. Interesting twist at the end of the story too.
Ruthanne Davis
My third in the Lucus Davenport series by John Sandford. These books date back to the early '90's but were recommended by a friend. And Mr. Sandford continues with Detective Davenport's adventures till today. He may be churning them out but his writing and plotting are excellent.

Some of these books may be a bit too graphic for some and, even at times, for me, but they are necessary to the plots in most of them. If you are a fan of detective noir, these are for you.
Sep 26, 2016 Steve rated it really liked it
Another excellent story in the Prey series. Eyes of Prey is the 3rd in this 26-book series featuring Luccas Davenport. This one has a really surprise ending that I didn't see coming. This 1991 novel gives a very realistic depiction of the difficult life of a police detective and how a cop goes about an investigation to narrow suspects. John Sanford's research on pharmacology and psychology for this story was extensive and interesting. Although I found the storyline and character development to ...more
Goodreads Librari...: 978-0-425-21443-5 2 12 Dec 22, 2013 01:05PM
  • Dead Prey
  • Lullaby Town (Elvis Cole, #3)
  • Red Knife (Cork O'Connor, #8)
  • The Black Ice (Harry Bosch, #2; Harry Bosch Universe, #2)
  • Live Bait (Monkeewrench, #2)
  • Pursuit
  • The Burying Place (Jonathan Stride, #5)
  • After The Rain (Phil Broker, #5)
  • Time Bomb (Alex Delaware, #5)
John Sandford was born John Camp on February 23, 1944, in Cedar Rapids, Iowa. He attended the public schools in Cedar Rapids, graduating from Washington High School in 1962. He then spent four years at the University of Iowa, graduating with a bachelor's degree in American Studies in 1966. In 1966, he married Susan Lee Jones of Cedar Rapids, a fellow student at the University of Iowa. He was in ...more
More about John Sandford...

Lucas Davenport (1 - 10 of 27 books)
  • Rules of Prey (Lucas Davenport, #1)
  • Shadow Prey (Lucas Davenport, #2)
  • Silent Prey (Lucas Davenport #4)
  • Winter Prey (Lucas Davenport, #5)
  • Night Prey (Lucas Davenport, #6)
  • Mind Prey (Lucas Davenport, #7)
  • Sudden Prey (Lucas Davenport, #8)
  • Secret Prey (Lucas Davenport, #9)
  • Certain Prey (Lucas Davenport, #10)
  • Easy Prey (Lucas Davenport, #11)

“I used to be a Catholic, and when I first started police work, I worried about that. I saw a lot of people dead or dying for no apparent reason . . . not people I killed, just people. Little kids who'd drowned, people dying in auto accidents and with heart attacks and strokes. I saw a lineman burn to death, up on a pole, little bits and pieces, and nobody could help . . . . I watched them go, screaming and crying and sometimes just lying there with their tongues stuck out, heaving, with all the screaming and hollering from friends and relatives . . . and I never saw anyone looking beyond. I think, Michael, I think they just blink out. That's all. I think they go where the words on a computer screen go, when you turn it off. One minute they exist, maybe they're even profound, maybe the result of a great deal of work. The next . . . . Whiff. Gone.” 9 likes
“Carol Druze Was A Stone Killer.” 7 likes