Start by marking “Kristy's Great Idea (The Baby-Sitters Club, #1)” as Want to Read:
Kristy's Great Idea (The Baby-Sitters Club, #1)

Kristy's Great Idea (The Baby-Sitters Club #1)

3.93  ·  Rating Details ·  22,409 Ratings  ·  810 Reviews
Kristy thinks the Baby-sitters Club is a great idea. She and her friends Claudia, Stacey and Mary Anne all love taking care of kids. A club will give them the chance to have lots of fun-and make tons of money.

But nobody counted on crank calls, uncontrollable two-year-olds, wild pets, and parents who don't always tell the truth. And then there's Stacey, who's acting more an
Published August 1st 1986 by Scholastic Paperbacks (first published 1986)

karen
Aug 11, 2010 karen rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kiddiwinx

okay, so i have never babysat a day in my life. is it surprising that no one would entrust their little precious dumplings to my care??

however - i loved these books. and lately, i have found my mind drifting back to this series, and i kind of want to read them again, is that bad?? they were such a huge part of my early reading life - i read them ever so many times, and took my favorite ones on vacation with me year after year when my mom told me i could bring a friend.(is that super sad?) i stil
Ariel
Dec 13, 2007 Ariel rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Lovers of Life
I am firmly convinced that, years hence, when Ann M Martin no longer graces the mortal coil with her presence, scholars will reflect upon the deceptively simple narrative lines of the Baby-Sitter's Club #1 and will discover the singing truths of human experience encoded in the mundane details of affluent suburban youth.

Like so many heroines before, Kristy attempts to reconcile her desire for autonomy with the crippling social restrictions on young females with her suburban Connecticut neighborh
amandalee
Jan 08, 2008 amandalee rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I am using the first Baby-Sitter's Club to represent the approximately, I don't know, 100 plus BSC novels I not only read, but owned, in my late elementary / early middle school years. I was in love with these novels and even belonged to the BSC Book Club, where two novels (in sequential order) were mailed to me every month (or bimonthly, I don't really remember). I was gifted the BSC board game, which was terrible, but amusing. My sisters and I even used these novels as "textbooks" when we play ...more
Rhiannon
Jul 07, 2011 Rhiannon rated it it was amazing
"The Baby-Sitters Club was a success. I, Kristin Amanda Thomas, had made it work." - Kristy, accepting the 1986 Mahatma Ghandi Award for Most Humble 12-Year Old Ever

Was Claudia described as having almond-shaped eyes:
Surprisingly, no. Although she was described as "exotic."

Was Mimi's accent described as rolling:
Nope

How many times was the word "incredulously" used:
Twice

What Would Claudia Wear:
-Short, very baggy lavender plaid overalls, a white lacy blouse, a black fedora, red high-top sneakers wit
Lauren R.
I don't feel like taking the time to add the whole series. But C'mon, you know you read them...all 549085290 of them AND the spin-offs. Looking back, they were terribly written and not realistic at all...But that didn't stop us from dressing like Claudia or trying to start our own BSC.
Mike Lawson
This book made me feel guilty. As a little soon-to-be gay boy in the 1980s, I watched my older sister devour the Baby-Sitters Club series. She just ate them up. And I learned at a young age it wasn’t “appropriate” for young boys to like the same things as their sisters.

“Michael, take off those Madonna gloves!”

When I picked up the first of the super-popular Baby-Sitters Club series, I couldn’t help but feel a bit of guilt. Kristy’s Great Idea is book #1, and about Krsity Thomas’ idea of forming a
Sarah (Starry Night Reader)
This just popped up on my Goodsreads updates and now I'm feeling so nostalgic. I adored this series when I was a kid. Even just looking at the covers makes me happy. I'm really tempted to buy them all and read them again, but what if they're terrible now??
Jessica
Nov 13, 2007 Jessica added it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: maybe little girls who hate to read, if you're really desperate
I can't rate these books, because giving a bad rating would be a lie -- I was crazy about them when I read them -- but giving them a good rating would be misleading because it would lead you to believe that they were good, and they're not. I mean, in a way they must be or they wouldn't have been so popular, but they're definitely Lame, especially when you consider how much incredible children't fiction there is out there.

The closest thing to these books for me is the Doors, one of the other few
Kathleen
Oct 18, 2015 Kathleen rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015
Puntje 17 van de Verbeelding Book Challenge: "Een boek lezen waar je gek van was als kind". De babysittersclub. Ayup. Ik denk dat ik bijna alle boeken van de Babysittersclub reeks heb gelezen, back in the day, en het was fijn om even terug te keren naar die personages. Maar het boek als volwassene lezen is toch helemaal anders dan het boek als negen of tien-jarige lezen.
Jun 18, 2008 Sarah rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Looking back I'm a bit ashamed to admit I enjoyed this series so much. By no means are the books well written; the characters are flat, the plots predictable. Everything is dressed in a neat and tidy bundle, all works out in under 150 pages. You can almost hear the sappy music as the book draws to a close. Even as a preteen I recognized this was not great literature, especially as the series rapidly expanded, Ann Martin and what must have been a slew of ghost writers turning out books at an alar ...more
Dray
Sep 18, 2009 Dray rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: 80s babies who are all now too old to be reading these
Recommended to Dray by: they had colorful covers. that's all it takes
I'm terribly tempted to add all the BSC books to my goodreads for two reasons:
1. I'm at work doing absolutely nothing else.
2. It would make me look all badass with lots of books...until someone happened to notice that half of them are the Babysitter's Club books. My badass badge would then be taken away.

So I'll just add the first one. These books get five stars for the sheer entertainment value of 7-10 year old Andréa. I thought those girls were SO COOL. Stacy and Claudia were totally my favorit
Ciara
Jan 03, 2010 Ciara rated it really liked it
always a classic. i read this one for the first time on my birthday in 1986. that was the year i turned seven. being a precocious reader, i was the target audience for the babysitters club series. i have been reading them ever since...24 years now, i guess. i'm not going to bother finding that at all shameful. it's an accomplishment!

these early books are kind of a yawn, because ann wrote them, & she doesn't have the same flair for drama & middle school catfights as some of the later ghos
SamZ
Jul 12, 2013 SamZ rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I totally LOVED these books as a kid. I read all of them and my mom even signed me up for the book club, where they mailed you four books (sequentially) every month. I was so excited when they would arrive. Reading this one now, as an adult, definitely brought back memories of staying up late to find out what crazy adventure the girls were going to go through next.
There are a lot of people out there who feel that these books aren't well written and are completely unbelievable. I disagree. The bo
Candise
Jan 22, 2008 Candise rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: feminist rulers and horse girls
When asked to name a childhood hero at a recent Feminist Club meeting, I instantly knew who to name: Kristy Thomas. Kristy is a tomboy, an alpha female, and totally gay (well, she gets a boyfriend later, but he is totally a beard). This book is girl love at its finest.
Krissy
Mar 17, 2016 Krissy rated it it was amazing
Since I read this to my daughter I allowed her to rate it. But I fully agree with her choice :)
Shira
Dec 13, 2013 Shira rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
great introduction to the club and the characters, plus a glimpse into some of the challenges they are going to face. highlights include the buffy & pinky story (the saint bernards kristy "baby-sits") and the introduction of morbidda destiny/mrs. porter (the alleged witch who lives next door to kristy's stepdad-to-be watson) and boo-boo (watson's crotchety old cat whose belly touches the floor while he walks).

two claudia outfits:
-She was wearing short, very baggy lavender plaid overalls, a w
Amara
Kristy's Great Idea isn't the most fascinating literature in the world, but it's charming at the very least. To read my full review, see here.
Tina Bryan
Jun 01, 2008 Tina Bryan is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
this book is great book, I wished there was movie out to watch it Tina Bryan in ca
Steven Thielking
I loved this series as a kid. I read every one that I could get my hands on. Granted part of that was to gain an edge against my rival in an ever escalating battle to get the the most AR points but I still genuinely enjoyed them. So when I saw the first one as I was packing up all my books for storage I couldn't help but read it again. Some thoughts.

- I definitely remember them all being older than 12. If you had asked me yesterday I would have said 16.

- Claudia and her fashion! Yes! "Well you
Jessica
May 27, 2014 Jessica rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-in-2014
Rating: 5 Stars

Date Read: The first book came out in August 1986 and I’m pretty sure I read it when it was new or newish. Re-read in May 2014.

When I saw that Ann M. Martin was going to be appearing at Book Expo America/Book Con this week the little girl in me let out a shout of excitement. When I was in elementary school these were my absolute favorite books. I read them all over and over, even when I was really just a bit to old for them. Maybe this explains my adult love for YA novels?

As a kid
Amy Flink
I read this in 6th grade, it wasn't the first BSC book or by fave; but I just read it to get more of a foundational feel of the series. Parts were a little dull and I thought Kristy was a big mouth biotch especially to her big hearted future step father. She should have been slapped!

Ann M. Martin is really ingenious!! I grew up with the BSC, I read them in 5th thru 7th grade and this was the late 80's. The first 10 books in the series are the best. I have learned soo much about myself and other
Chris
Oct 02, 2010 Chris rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Have you ever read any of the other Babysitter's Club books and wondered how the Babysitter's Club was formed and started? Well, then this book is for you. It introduces you to the traits behind the characters Claudia, Kristy, Stacey and Mary-Anne, as well as answering the above mentioned major topic.

At first, I was a little skeptical/reluctant to read this book, especially when my parents told me that this book was "meant for girls only", and I at the time,(being a 21-year-old guy), sure told m
Kristen
Ok, I have no deep thoughts on this series. I will however say that when I was about ten, I told my mom that if I was to die, my wish was to be buried with my babysitter’s club books. All 10 million of them. That’s how important they were to me as a kid. I would wait anxiously for that month’s book order to deliver my new BSC book, upon which I would devour it voraciously with in three hours holed away in my bedroom. I would then be disappointed of course that I had to wait another month for the ...more
Shanon
Aug 16, 2009 Shanon rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I'm too lazy to click on every one of the billion or so BSC books, but when I was a kid I read pretty much every single one of them. I used to go through 2-3 of them a day and couldn't get enough.

Honestly, I have no idea why considering I didn't like kids and I refused to babysit... *laughs* The series did cover a lot of things pre-teen, teen, etc type issues. There were a few situations that I managed to avoid because I remembered it not going well for the girls in the books.

Wonder if that make
Cait S
Apr 14, 2016 Cait S rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another day, another chance to relive my childhood. Babysitter's Club shaped my entire youth, basically. It made me a reader. It made me behave for my mother in stores because it meant I would get another book. It was very near and dear to my heart and surprise, surprise-- It holds up to an adult re-read! I enjoyed it immensely and fell in love with the characters all over again. I can't wait for more.
Lindsay
Dec 19, 2014 Lindsay rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I saw something recently on Twitter about this series, which I used to love when I was younger and it made me want to read the books again. So I got the first one from the library and it actually wasn't that bad. I might read more.
Melissa
Nov 09, 2015 Melissa rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wow! I love this book. It made me laugh and smile. So if anyone needs a little joy and laughter, read this book!
It sucks because my dad won't allow me to get any of the books in this series, so I have to borrow them from the library.... :( I'd rather buy the book! Won't you?
Dee
Jul 19, 2011 Dee rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Grades 2-5
Recommended to Dee by: Mrs. Brand, the librarian
Shelves: re-reads, 2011
This book is one of my favourites from my childhood. I loved the series so much I'd seek them out every time we went to the library! Now that my daughter and I have read it together I've discovered that it does live up to the memory! I can't wait to get into the next in the series!
Jennifer Marie
Jul 10, 2016 Jennifer Marie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Ahhh the childhood memories this book brings back. :)
STOP FIGHTING! I'M GOING TO DIE!!! 6 61 Nov 25, 2014 05:36AM
the baby-sitter club 16 65 Nov 25, 2014 05:18AM
Goodreads Feedback: Lost review after changing read to currently-reading and back 4 49 Oct 05, 2014 08:54AM
What book do you like the best from the BSC 3 17 Jan 19, 2014 06:59PM
reading log #11 6 22 Nov 15, 2013 07:56PM
  • Best Friends (Sweet Valley Twins, #1)
  • Meet Kirsten: An American Girl (American Girls: Kirsten, #1)
  • Meet Molly: An American Girl (American Girls: Molly, #1)
  • Meet Samantha: An American Girl (American Girls: Samantha, #1)
  • Ramona Forever (Ramona, #7)

More about Ann M. Martin...

The Baby-Sitters Club (1 - 10 of 132 books)
  • Claudia and the Phantom Phone Calls (The Baby-sitters Club, #2)
  • The Truth About Stacey (The Baby-Sitters Club, #3)
  • Mary Anne Saves the Day (The Baby-Sitters Club, #4)
  • Dawn and the Impossible Three (The Baby-Sitters Club, #5)
  • Kristy's Big Day (The Baby-Sitters Club, #6)
  • Claudia and Mean Janine (The Baby-Sitters Club, #7)
  • Boy-Crazy Stacey (The Baby-Sitters Club, #8)
  • The Ghost at Dawn's House (The Baby-Sitters Club, #9)
  • Logan Likes Mary Anne! (The Baby-Sitters Club, #10)
  • Kristy and the Snobs (The Baby-Sitters Club, #11)

“I hoped that Mary Anne, Claudia, Stacey, and I - the Baby Sitters Club - would stay together for a long time.” 8 likes
“Sheep are in.” 6 likes