Start by marking “Seven Men of Gascony” as Want to Read:
Seven Men of Gascony

Seven Men of Gascony

Comrades and heroes, the seven warriors slog through the swirl and tumult of the Napoleonic Wars, fighting for their lives across Europe, until they confront their destiny at Waterloo. This stirring saga is drawn from true stories left behind by the soldiers of the First Empire, a dramatic tale of triumph and defeat.
Published April 1st 2001 by McBooks Press (first published 1975)

To ask other readers questions about Seven Men of Gascony, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Seven Men of Gascony

War and Peace by Leo TolstoyThe Count of Monte Cristo by Alexandre DumasHis Majesty's Dragon by Naomi NovikMaster and Commander by Patrick O'BrianJonathan Strange & Mr Norrell by Susanna Clarke
Napoleonic Novels
54th out of 175 books — 73 voters
Queen of Cities by Andrew NovoThe Killer Angels by Michael ShaaraUnder the Eagle by Simon ScarrowSeven Men of Gascony by R.F. DelderfieldSharpe's Rifles by Bernard Cornwell
Best Military Historical Fiction
4th out of 30 books — 8 voters

More lists with this book...

'Aussie Rick'
This has been the first novel that I have read for many years and what a delight it was to read. Although this book was first published in 1949 it still offers anyone interested in the Napoleonic Wars an engrossing story of men at war.

The author provides the reader with a great story of seven French Voltiguers (elite skirmishers and/or marksmen) fighting during the campaigns of the Empire under Napoleon from the battle of Aspern to the final showdown at Waterloo.

We trudge through cannonades and
Betsy
Dec 10, 2015 Betsy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A good read about 7 men who fought for Napoleon during the years 1809-1815. The early part of the book introduces the men, and some of the individuals who affect their lives. Frankly, I was not as interested in the early part because of the romantic aspects of the story.

On various battlefields, we learn of the fate of these men, their ties to each other, and their endurance during the years when glory slipped away from France. Delderfield includes many of the great names of Napoleonic fame, show
Art
Aug 19, 2008 Art rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: anyone
I read this book during Reforger 1984 while travelling in a Duece & 1/2 on some of the same roads as the story.
The book was in a collection donated by the library for us to read in the Contonment areas before we went out for the Exercise.
I was facinated by this book.
I found it an interesting look at the French Army Under Napolean.
Recommend it to anyone.
Matimate
Dec 25, 2007 Matimate rated it it was amazing
Shelves: military
I was browsing trough Amazon and searching for some interesting novel about Napoleonic wars. I stepped upon Seven Men of Gascony and it was the right choice. I was little bit fed up with all Sharpes and English victorious army. It was time to look at the other side. This novel follows seven French voltigeurs (skirmishers) through the later years of the Napoleonic wars and made it from glorious days to utter destruction of the Great Army. The characters are constantly developing trough the book a ...more
Steve Cox
Mar 07, 2015 Steve Cox rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read this book ages ago and reread it recently. I was entirely caught up in the life and death struggle of the close-knit unit of French soldiers fighting for Napoleon all over Europe. The characters were very believable and the dramatic events were equalled by the mundane choices and chances that affected the men.
I liked the ending where the narrator runs along the rough track to catch his comrades trundling along in the back of the wagon. I could read such books forever.
Chrisl
Among my long-time all-time favorites. Once again, the section devoted to the retreat from Moscow produces vivid images on the brutal insanity of war.

This is one of those books that Goodreads lists as first published in the 1970s. It was actually written in the late 1940s.

copied and pasted"KIRKUS REVIEW

A 1949 novel set in the period of the Napoleonic Wars, which the late author published in the salad days of the mainly masculine-oriented historical novels (Kenneth Roberts, Nordhoff & Hall)
Nancy Ellis
Apr 10, 2015 Nancy Ellis rated it it was amazing
An amazing view of the final years of the Napoleonic Wars through the eyes of a group of seven French sharpshooters. We follow them from the miserable Portuguese campaign, through their captivity when transported to England, their escape to rejoin the army in time for the disastrous Russian campaign, and then to the very end. I had never read a story of this time written from the French viewpoint, so it was a very interesting change of perspective. Delderfield, of course, was a master!
Ian Rees
Jul 22, 2015 Ian Rees rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: history, novels
A superb story that ranges across the breadth of the Napoleonic wars with seven principal characters, through victory and defeat. What makes it more interesting is that it is written about French soldiers, so gives a different perspective to the ones we are now used to (ie British riflemen, etc)
Retta
Jan 23, 2016 Retta rated it liked it
Shelves: read-in-2015
I couldn't finish as it was such a harshly realistic view of what it was like to be a foot soldier in Napolean's army during his last campaign that ended at Waterloo.
Jim B
Dec 21, 2015 Jim B rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
Even though this way, way outside my preferred genre of Sci-Fi. when I was in HS, I enjoyed reading it very much. It is very well written and makes one feel as if you are really in Napoleons army.
John
Apr 29, 2009 John rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to John by: Mark Baker
This is one of my favorite books ever!!!!! The story of Napoleon's retreat from Russia.
Dwer
Sep 27, 2009 Dwer rated it really liked it
Historical novel of soldiers in Napoleonic France
Bill
(Read during High School)
Alex
Alex marked it as to-read
Sep 16, 2016
Geoff Woodland
Geoff Woodland marked it as to-read
Aug 26, 2016
Terry
Terry added it
Aug 23, 2016
Tanya
Tanya marked it as to-read
Aug 21, 2016
Jim
Jim marked it as to-read
Aug 11, 2016
Marius Abwege
Marius Abwege marked it as to-read
Aug 10, 2016
Robert
Robert added it
Jul 31, 2016
Jutta Vanderheyden
Jutta Vanderheyden rated it it was amazing
Jul 25, 2016
Filipe
Filipe marked it as to-read
Jul 25, 2016
Charlespenrillian.Com
Charlespenrillian.Com marked it as to-read
Jul 20, 2016
Micki Levin
Micki Levin marked it as to-read
Jun 13, 2016
Johnny Graham
Johnny Graham marked it as to-read
Jun 06, 2016
Ed
Ed marked it as to-read
Jun 05, 2016
Pat Cummings
Pat Cummings marked it as to-read
Jun 03, 2016
Tony Gettins
Tony Gettins marked it as to-read
May 24, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • Gentleman Captain
  • By the Mast Divided (John Pearce, #1)
  • The Chequer Board
  • Any Approaching Enemy
  • In the Company of Eagles
  • Warriors: Portraits from the Battlefield
  • Forgotten War
  • Badge of Glory (Blackwood Family, #1)
  • Sandakan
  • His Majesty's Ship (Fighting Sail, #1)
  • The Parthian (The Parthian Chronicles, #1)
  • Winter Range: A Novel
  • The Gun
  • Heart of Oak (The Soldier Chronicles, #2)
  • Second to None (Adam Bolitho, #1)
  • Among the Dead Cities: The History and Moral Legacy of the WWII Bombing of Civilians in Germany and Japan
  • The Bletchley Girls
Ronald Frederick Delderfield was a popular English novelist and dramatist, many of whose works have been adapted for television and are still widely read.

Several of Delderfield's historical novels and series involve young men who return from war and lead lives in England that allow the author to portray the sweep of English history and delve deeply into social history from the Edwardian era to the
More about R.F. Delderfield...