Start by marking “The Green Gauntlet” as Want to Read:
The Green Gauntlet

The Green Gauntlet (A Horseman Riding by #3)

4.23 of 5 stars 4.23  ·  rating details  ·  412 ratings  ·  18 reviews
Paul and Claire Craddock have grown older in years - but not in spirit. World War II is over. But for Craddock and his family there are new battles to be fought and won. The new property laws enable speculators to reap huge profits from agricultural lands, and Paul's livelihood is threatened.
Published August 3rd 1995 by Hodder Coronet (first published 1966)

To ask other readers questions about The Green Gauntlet, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Green Gauntlet

Mar 09, 2015 Dorcas marked it as did-not-finish  ·  review of another edition
I had great hopes of reading the whole trilogy but I just can't face it right now. I got up to page 50 but am just not enjoying it. It feels like a TV series that has gone on too many seasons with the original charm lost somewhere along the way. (Downton Abby I'm looking at you)
And its WW2, totally not my time period. I think I'll leave it for now, maybe I'll pick it up again later...
In the end of the trilogy we see the grand design of Delderfield. How he has taking us along on the adult life of his hero, Paul Craddock. Each book roughly about 20 years of life.

We see that there are years in life where nothing momentous happens. That is true in all our lives, but even when momentous things do happen sometimes they are events that happen more to others who we know well, then ourselves.

That big events come and we are on the periphery. Craddock has that, and now, we see the pass
I was wishing this book would hurry up and end but now I'll miss my old friend Paul Craddock, a strong, honorable, simple man whom you could always count on. This last book of the trilogy spends a lot of time with the characters remembering things that happened in the previous two books which got a little old but that is how the author wanted to wrap things up.

The books centers on Craddock and his Valley which he is trying to preserve, with some success, throughout the two World Wars and on int
Last of series. Jams too much in from WW2 to late 50s. Paul Craddock is still there, but his supporting cast doesn't support as well as before. Once again, the males get most of the stage, and even strong female characters are given a back seat. No one stands out as they did in the first book.
What a wonderful book! There were 1,151 pages and I hated to see it come to an end -- how many books can you say that about?! Delderfield's characters are so believable -- and I love the way he would introduce a character then when the character re-appears hundreds of pages later, he would give you just a couple of words so you would know immediately who he was talking about instead of saying "who was he again?" So very well written.
Nancy Ellis
This is the third in the series A Horseman Riding By and completes the saga of the Craddock family. It's one of those rare books that you hate to have end, even though there's such a sense of fulfillment having followed the lives of these people from Book 1 beginning at the end of the Boer War all the way to the 1960s. A masterfully written tale full of wonderful characters and story lines...a book you can truly lose yourself in!!
Gabriele Wills
R.F. Delderfield is one of the writers who inspired me. How rewarding then to have a fan say of my novel, "I found "The Summer Before the Storm" to be a bigger-than-life family saga. It reminded me of R. F. Delderfield's 'A Horseman Riding By'. In my opinion, Gabriele Wills's ability to evoke a feeling for the times and characters is equal to Delderfield's".
Michael Kennard
The Green Gauntlet, book three of A Horseman Riding By.Part three of the trilogy A Horseman Riding By. Together with part one and part two my favourite book of all time. Greatest writer of the 20th Century
Delderfield is an old-fashioned English storyteller. He creates real characters that you care about and are sad to leave when the last page is read.
My first Delderfield. Thank's Maura's MOM.. I love Family Saga's and English novels. Delderfield is one of my favorite author's. I few surprises.
Catherine Adde
R.F. Delderfield is one of my favourite authors and it's no wonder they made a BBC series based on this saga.
Just thinking about the Delderfield novels, definitely time to re read.. All are brilliant.
A fitting end to a wonderful series portraying the sweep of England from 1902-1965
One of my absolute favorites. I re-read it regularly!
My favourite trilogy for awhile. An old friend.
Thoroughly enjoyed this nostalgic view of Devon
What a pity to come to an end!
Guy Wright
Guy Wright marked it as to-read
Oct 03, 2015
Josephine marked it as to-read
Sep 30, 2015
Jennifer Jewisss
Jennifer Jewisss marked it as to-read
Sep 03, 2015
Elaine marked it as to-read
Aug 25, 2015
Wa Lone
Wa Lone marked it as to-read
Aug 24, 2015
Carolyn Pankiw
Carolyn Pankiw marked it as to-read
Aug 15, 2015
Ashley marked it as to-read
Aug 11, 2015
Jean marked it as to-read
Aug 06, 2015
  • Rabbit Stew and a Penny or Two: A Gypsy Family's Hard Times and Happy Times on the Road in the 1950s
  • The Black Moon (Poldark, #5)
  • The Revenge Of Captain Paine (A Pyke Mystery, #2)
  • Extreme Kissing
  • The Castle on the Hill
  • Glory and the Lightning
  • The Westminster Poisoner (Thomas Chaloner, #4)
  • The Mallen Streak
  • By Royal Command (At the House of the Magician, #2)
  • The Sword of Shame (The Medieval Murderers, #2)
  • This Was Tomorrow (Williamsburg, #6)
  • The Worshipful Lucia (Lucia, #5)
  • The Ant Colony
Ronald Frederick Delderfield was a popular English novelist and dramatist, many of whose works have been adapted for television and are still widely read.

Several of Delderfield's historical novels and series involve young men who return from war and lead lives in England that allow the author to portray the sweep of English history and delve deeply into social history from the Edwardian era to the
More about R.F. Delderfield...

A Horseman Riding by (3 books)
  • Long Summer Day
  • Post of Honor (A Horseman Riding By, #2)
God Is an Englishman (Swann Saga, #1) To Serve Them All My Days Theirs Was the Kingdom (Swann Saga, #2) Give Us This Day (Swann Saga, #3) Long Summer Day