Green Gauntlet

Green Gauntlet (A Horseman Riding by #3)

4.22 of 5 stars 4.22  ·  rating details  ·  356 ratings  ·  15 reviews
Paul and Claire Craddock have grown older in years - but not in spirit. World War II is over. But for Craddock and his family there are new battles to be fought and won. The new property laws enable speculators to reap huge profits from agricultural lands, and Paul's livelihood is threatened.
Published August 3rd 1995 by Not Avail (first published 1966)

To ask other readers questions about Green Gauntlet, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Green Gauntlet

D.w.
In the end of the trilogy we see the grand design of Delderfield. How he has taking us along on the adult life of his hero, Paul Craddock. Each book roughly about 20 years of life.

We see that there are years in life where nothing momentous happens. That is true in all our lives, but even when momentous things do happen sometimes they are events that happen more to others who we know well, then ourselves.

That big events come and we are on the periphery. Craddock has that, and now, we see the pass...more
Barb
What a wonderful book! There were 1,151 pages and I hated to see it come to an end -- how many books can you say that about?! Delderfield's characters are so believable -- and I love the way he would introduce a character then when the character re-appears hundreds of pages later, he would give you just a couple of words so you would know immediately who he was talking about instead of saying "who was he again?" So very well written.
Nancy Ellis
This is the third in the series A Horseman Riding By and completes the saga of the Craddock family. It's one of those rare books that you hate to have end, even though there's such a sense of fulfillment having followed the lives of these people from Book 1 beginning at the end of the Boer War all the way to the 1960s. A masterfully written tale full of wonderful characters and story lines...a book you can truly lose yourself in!!
Emily
Gabriele Wills
R.F. Delderfield is one of the writers who inspired me. How rewarding then to have a fan say of my novel, "I found "The Summer Before the Storm" to be a bigger-than-life family saga. It reminded me of R. F. Delderfield's 'A Horseman Riding By'. In my opinion, Gabriele Wills's ability to evoke a feeling for the times and characters is equal to Delderfield's".
Michael Kennard
The Green Gauntlet, book three of A Horseman Riding By.Part three of the trilogy A Horseman Riding By. Together with part one and part two my favourite book of all time. Greatest writer of the 20th Century
Sheryl
Delderfield is an old-fashioned English storyteller. He creates real characters that you care about and are sad to leave when the last page is read.
Sue
My first Delderfield. Thank's Maura's MOM.. I love Family Saga's and English novels. Delderfield is one of my favorite author's. I few surprises.
Catherine Adde
R.F. Delderfield is one of my favourite authors and it's no wonder they made a BBC series based on this saga.
Lizbenandgus
Just thinking about the Delderfield novels, definitely time to re read.. All are brilliant.
Kaitlyn
A fitting end to a wonderful series portraying the sweep of England from 1902-1965
Ada
One of my absolute favorites. I re-read it regularly!
ObsidianCub
My favourite trilogy for awhile. An old friend.
Margareth8537
Thoroughly enjoyed this nostalgic view of Devon
Margareth8537
What a pity to come to an end!
Linda
Linda marked it as to-read
Sep 13, 2014
Suzi
Suzi marked it as to-read
Aug 20, 2014
Wib62
Wib62 marked it as to-read
Aug 03, 2014
S.M. Vance
S.M. Vance marked it as to-read
Jul 28, 2014
Yashwin Kumar
Yashwin Kumar marked it as to-read
Jul 24, 2014
Stephen Haslam
Stephen Haslam marked it as to-read
Jun 25, 2014
Silvia Tavares
Silvia Tavares marked it as to-read
Jun 22, 2014
Caroline
Caroline marked it as to-read
Jun 18, 2014
  • The Angry Tide (Poldark, #7)
  • Glory and the Lightning
  • The Ant Colony
  • The Princess of Celle (Georgian Saga, #1)
  • The Mallen Litter
  • The Sword of Shame (The Medieval Murderers, #2)
  • By Royal Command (At the House of the Magician)
  • Trouble for Lucia (Lucia, #6)
  • A City of Bells (Torminster, #1)
  • The Last Days of Newgate (A Pyke Mystery, #1)
  • The Hurlyburly's Husband
Ronald Frederick Delderfield (12 February 1912 – 24 June 1972) was a popular English novelist and dramatist, many of whose works have been adapted for television and are still widely read.

Several of Delderfield's historical novels and series involve young men who return from war and lead lives in England that allow the author to portray the sweep of English history and delve deeply into social his...more
More about R.F. Delderfield...
God Is an Englishman (Swann Saga, #1) To Serve Them All My Days Theirs Was the Kingdom (Swann Saga, #2) Give Us This Day (Swann Saga, #3) Diana