Start by marking “Diana” as Want to Read:
Diana

Diana

4.01 of 5 stars 4.01  ·  rating details  ·  290 ratings  ·  25 reviews
Beautiful, resourceful, treacherous, vulnerable - she was a woman full of contradictions and he would never stop loving her. As a young girl Diana is irrepressible, untameable and, to the orphaned John, endlessly fascinating. Only daughter of a wealthy businessman, she is drawn both to a rigorous outdoor life in the west country with her horses and the glittering London so ...more
Published March 1st 1980 by Coronet (first published January 1st 1960)

To ask other readers questions about Diana, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Diana

Peggy Z
I first read Diana when I was 12. At that time I found the character of Diana to be very romantic. I have since re-read this book twice; once in my 20's and then last year when I turned 60. I have always loved this book, especially since it was probably the first "grownup" book I read as a pre-teen.

But now that I'm older I feel very different about the characters. Diana is truly a very selfish person and there were times when I would get so exasperated with John for putting up with her. But John
Sewwolf
This was my first adult romance and I read it at 13. I loved this book and the second part The Unjust Skies. This is the only book to this day that has made me cry. It is a true love story from teen to adult. I can't believe no one ever made this movie as it would have been a classic one. This is one of my top 5's of all time and I've read a lot of book spanning 40 some years.
Sandy
This is another Delderfiled book about the uniqueness of Pre-WW I England.... this, the story of a young woman of privilege and her life..... Yes, full of things which today we would revile and castigate as classist, repressive and arrogant examples of the social inequalities of the time...... But all I saw -read, imagined, dreamt of - was the beautiful, bucolic English countryside and apparently genteel life of its people, both working poor and land owners alike.....
Misfit
I'm giving this one up for now and perhaps try another day. Other books are calling and not much is happening here.
B.B. Shepherd
It's so funny; I was talking to a friend about books just a couple of days ago and was trying to describe this book but couldn't remember the title or the author. Today I was browsing something else and a book by Delderfield was one of the recommendations. Yes! That's the author! Browsing through his books brought me to Diana, though the title still didn't mean anything to me, the description sounded about right. The only other thing I could remember about it was a quote at the beginning from a ...more
Carolyn Agosta
Not my favorite Delderfield novel. Having long been a fan of RF Delderfield (the Swann Trilogy, To Serve Them All My Days, The Avenue), I was excited to find a 'new' book by him, but this story just turned me off. Diana may have come across as a romantic figure early on, but I really got tired of her constant shifts, and stopped caring what happened to the two of them. The scene where Jan watches as she distracts Rance just sickened me, no matter why she was doing it.

Delderfield has written simi
Clare White
I have read this book at least 6 times and I like others have got something different from it each time. In my younger years I saw it as a wonderful love story but on return reads the lovely Diana comes across a much different character!! The angst was all Johns, a puppet that she liked to pick up and drop at will almost from the moment they met, but he was mesmerised from day one and allowed himself to be treated that way.
Mercedes
I read Diana when I was 16. It's a beautifully written reflection ofpre-WW I English society, with deep, well-dimensioned and strong characters and one of the most heartfelt love stories i've ever read amidst a fascinating recount of historic events. Close to my heart.
Duncan Leung
I prefer this book over Romeo and Juliet any day. This is just how teen romance should be.
Christian Belz
First part-magical as ever; second part-maddening as ever.
Lizbenandgus
Superb, heart stopping.
Jessica ~Books galore~
I read well over 100 pages and just couldn't get into it.

For those of you who haven't read this book it's basically about this fourteen year old girl that meats a fifteen year old guy, she's wealthy he's not. And really all it is is them meeting up and stuff.

Don't get me wrong it's a well written book just not the type I usually read. If you like other books by Delderfield then you should like this one but I think it's a bit out of date.

There is absolutely no plot in this book, it just seemed t
Cindy
Did not finish.

After skimming it appears to be a good story but it's just too long and drawn out for me. It became a chore.

If Julian Fellowes could get his hands on this and write a screenplay it would make a good British mini-series.
Deb Stevens
Perhaps this book stayed with me because I was so young when I read it (compared to now, I mean). I found it disturbed my ideas of romance.
Bettie☯

This is the original BBC mini-series 'Diana' that aired in 1984.

It is based on the R F Delderfield novel of the same name.

Cast:

Andrew Davies (writer)

Diana by Delderfield

winter 20
Mike
When I look back, I think I have now read this book three times. I first read it in my teens and I like John the male lead character was fascinated with the character of Diana and the English setting. The relationship between John and Diana swills around in your mind as you read other books with strong young characters adrift in the undercurrents of beauty, love and desire.
James Prothero
I didn't finish. Delderfield is a great writer, but the story of a young man fixated with a beautiful, rich and treacherous girl just didn't ring my bell. I moved on. BUT . . . I'm trying again. And I stopped again. Can't get next to the character that throws himself at a controlling, spoiled young woman. Ah well.
Michael Brown
As one of the book jackets says, a defiant piece of Romanticism in an unRomantic era.

I'm especially fond of the BBC series, which I was able to find an informal copy of! I hope one day it will be released - it deserves to be seen.
Pat
This was a favorite among the many titles I read from this author. I remember sitting on a bus reading this and tearing up. Highly recommend this one.
Jill Farrar
I read this book when I was about 17. At the time, I thought it the most wonderful love story.
Joan
My favorite Delderfield by far. I had a terrible crush on Jan, who loved Diana.
Michael Kennard
Another great book by R.F. Delderfield, not his best but still a heartwarming story
Margareth8537
Read this as I have enjoyed his other books, but found this one very trivial
I love this book - a novel to really lose yourself in.
A great deal about country life between the wars
Michellehcat
Michellehcat marked it as to-read
Jul 23, 2015
Stalfos
Stalfos marked it as to-read
Jul 19, 2015
Kim
Kim marked it as to-read
Jul 18, 2015
  • Son of a Hundred Kings
  • The Hearth and Eagle
  • Ashton Park (The Danforths of Lancashire #1)
  • The Last Convertible
  • Penmarric
  • Confessions of a Courtesan
  • Paradise Falls
  • The Proud Breed
  • Calico Palace
  • Csardas
  • Lily Cigar
  • The Devil's Tide (Devil's Fire, #2)
  • Wilderness Trail of Love (American Wilderness, #1)
  • Death Comes to the Village (Kurland St. Mary Mystery series, #1)
  • Restless Hearts (Gold Rush Romances #1)
  • The Ambitious Madame Bonaparte
  • The Pirate Captain: Chronicles of a Legend
  • Hester Roon
Ronald Frederick Delderfield (12 February 1912 – 24 June 1972) was a popular English novelist and dramatist, many of whose works have been adapted for television and are still widely read.

Several of Delderfield's historical novels and series involve young men who return from war and lead lives in England that allow the author to portray the sweep of English history and delve deeply into social his
More about R.F. Delderfield...
God Is an Englishman (Swann Saga, #1) To Serve Them All My Days Theirs Was the Kingdom (Swann Saga, #2) Give Us This Day (Swann Saga, #3) The Green Gauntlet