Start by marking “911: The Book of Help” as Want to Read:
911: The Book of Help

911: The Book of Help

3.75  ·  Rating Details  ·  28 Ratings  ·  10 Reviews
In 911: The Book of Help, award-winning writers share their responses to the September 11, 2001 tragedy and describe the heroism of those who first rushed to help. The works in 911 are donated, and 50 percent of the net proceeds will go to a charity assisting children and spouses of victims.
Published July 25th 2002 by Cricket Books/Marcato

To ask other readers questions about 911, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about 911

Alyse Liebovich
Sep 12, 2013 Alyse Liebovich rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read the intro to this book when I found it at the ISLMA conference last fall. It took almost a year for me to pick it up again and actually read it. The timing intentional, it's hard not for me to reflect on the difference between 9/10/01 and 9/11/01 around this time of year.

Edited by Michael Cart, this book is broken up into four sections, titled: Healing, Searching For History, Asking Why? Why? Why? and Reacting and Recovering. Renowned writers, such as Naomi Shihab Nye, Walter Dean Myers,
Kathleen Garber
Oct 07, 2007 Kathleen Garber rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: those wanting to know more about what 911/tragedy is like
When I first saw this book I thought it was about calling 911 but it's about 9/11 as in September 11, 2001.

Indeed the authors explain: "One of the awful ironies of the attacks is that they occurred on a date, 9/11, that is the same as the telephone number we are accustomed to call for emergency assistance. By calling this book 911: The Book of Help, we hope to underscore the fact that 911 must remain not only a telephone number but also a symbol of the selfless human capacity to aid those in ev
Erin Reilly-Sanders
I am a little confused as to why we read this for an adolescent literature class because while it is a beautiful and potent medley of author responses to 9/11, it seems like it's almost written more as a coping mechanism for the authors. It completely leaves out the teen perspective, as today's teens would have been children in 2001 and would have experienced the original event differently, perhaps less personally, but maybe more horrifically. While it's not a great teen book, portions of it wou ...more
LeAnne
Feb 16, 2016 LeAnne rated it really liked it
Moving and thought provoking, especially the poems, this book connects to the experiences of WW2 and our own history of violence rising out of fear.
Leah Longnecker
Mar 09, 2016 Leah Longnecker rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
If you're looking for a book about the actual attack on 9/11 this isn't the book for you. It is more so the cleanup of 9/11. This book consists of several individuals' stories of what that day was like for them and also their efforts to cleanup and help the city. Though it isn't about the actual event, it is still an interesting book to read.
Lizzie
Aug 03, 2013 Lizzie rated it really liked it
I love the concept behind this, and most of all, I love the Katherine Paterson piece in the beginning, which I've reread several times. It is perfect that this is a thing.

I think I wasn't as invested in every single piece, overall? But that's okay. Maybe someday I will revisit them all.
Hilary
Jul 12, 2011 Hilary rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: grad-class
This was ok. The premise sounded exciting--a bunch of YA/kid lit authors responding, mostly in personal essays, to 9/11, but I only liked some of them. Which is ok, I guess.
Betsy
Aug 01, 2010 Betsy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
If you want a book that deals with the wide impact of 9/11, this is for you. There's not a specific political agenda; different authors present their reactions.
Mrs. Mo
Sep 10, 2012 Mrs. Mo rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: summer-2012
Powerful reflections and reactions to 9/11 written by authors
Personal essays, narratives and poems
Beautifully compiled
Marcus Quinones
Nov 24, 2009 Marcus Quinones rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It talks about the Twin Towers.
Hailey
Hailey marked it as to-read
Mar 01, 2016
Briana Arcineda
Briana Arcineda marked it as to-read
Feb 10, 2016
Hannah Parker
Hannah Parker rated it liked it
Feb 04, 2016
Brock Dragomire
Brock Dragomire marked it as to-read
Jan 11, 2016
Lauren Manning
Lauren Manning is currently reading it
Dec 11, 2015
Donna
Donna marked it as to-read
Nov 06, 2015
Fatema Shahid
Fatema Shahid marked it as to-read
Oct 31, 2015
Kristine Hansen
Kristine Hansen marked it as to-read
Sep 05, 2015
Samantha Grabelle
Samantha Grabelle marked it as to-read
Jun 11, 2015
Sarah Opett
Sarah Opett marked it as to-read
May 14, 2015
Zia
Zia marked it as to-read
Apr 21, 2015
Godiva
Godiva rated it did not like it
Apr 20, 2015
D
D rated it liked it
Apr 07, 2015
Nina
Nina rated it it was amazing
Dec 03, 2014
Galatea zempel
Galatea zempel marked it as to-read
Nov 05, 2014
Ashley
Ashley marked it as to-read
Jul 16, 2015
Holly
Holly marked it as to-read
Oct 20, 2014
Michelle Stangler
Michelle Stangler rated it really liked it
Oct 10, 2014
Former Director of the Beverly Hills (CA) Public Library and a Past President of the Young Adult Library Services Association, Michael Cart is a nationally recognized expert in children's and young adult literature. Now a columnist and reviewer for ALA's Booklist magazine, he is the author or editor of eight books, including From Romance to Realism, a critical history of YA literature; MY FATHER'S ...more
More about Michael Cart...