Start by marking “In The Stacks” as Want to Read:
In The Stacks

In The Stacks

3.17 of 5 stars 3.17  ·  rating details  ·  200 ratings  ·  38 reviews
An anthology of short stories in defence of reading by some of the greatest practioners of the genre, including Isaac Babel, Italo Calvino, Jorge Luis Borges, Alice Munro, Lori Moore and H.H. Munro.
Hardcover
Published April 1st 2005 by Duckworth Publishing (first published 2002)

To ask other readers questions about In The Stacks, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about In The Stacks

Heather
I am a library dork. I eat, sleep & work library, so of course, I had to read this book of short stories about libraries and librarians. So many good stories but my favorite was "Exchange" by Ray Bradbury. It gave me such a sweet sadness; it is a beautiful story. After I read that story I had to just close the book & let the feelings wash over me. It's a rare author that can make you feel precisely what he wants you to. Ohhhh....Ray Bradbury has become one of my favorite authors.

Many oth
Althea Ann
"Short Stories About Libraries and Librarians" - How could I pass that up?
Well, I didn't!
However, overall, I have to say this collection was good, but not awe-inspiring. Too many of the stories merely featured libraries or librarians, rather than having something to say *about* them. The collection as a whole didn't give me any particular sense of cohesiveness.

A general in the library /Italo Calvino
A very short story, well-crafted, about the unintended effect a library has on the soldiers assig
Mellen
Fun book. A few of the stories were a bit boring and gloomy. But most were worth reading. I read the book for a class, looking for stereotypes of librarians. Otherwise I don't think I would have noticed how the stereotype of the middle-aged, white, spinster librarian is used in several of the stories to represent the institution of the library; I also thought that male librarians represented some broad idea of knowledge.
Kristi
a book edited by a librarian about libraries and/or librarians?!? my partner saw this on my nightstand and laughed, remarking "this book is like you finding a unicorn on a hike through the forest." this, among many other reasons, is why i love her.

what a lovely collection of stories that all center around books or people who love books!! I didn't want it to end.
Deb (Readerbuzz) Nance
I was expecting a cute book with a cute gimmick, a book with stories about librarians. What librarian wouldn’t buy that? I was surprised to find lots of good stories, stories that would have been good whether the main character was a librarian or a garbage collector. Favorites were stories by John Cheever, Saki, and Walter R. Brooks.
Denae
Not bad as far as themed short story collections go. I was unable to read all of the book before having to return it to the library, but enjoyed what I did read. I particularly liked "The Phoenix" by Ursula K. LeGuin, and, for entirely different reasons, "Ed Has His Mind Improved." Overall, interesting book.
Gwen
I thought I would try reading some short stories, and now I remember that they just don't really work for me. I need something more massive. I really liked a few of these, especially one which hinged on deciphering an LC call number. Otherwise, just meh.
Julie Davis
I can't remember where I saw this mentioned. Possibly by Jenny from Reading Envy? At any rate, it has been some time since I've been grabbed by the throat by a short story collection. Granted, I've only read the first three, but I just couldn't put the book down - to the point where I was washing salad greens and trying to turn the page with my elbow. Perhaps it is the fact that the stories are about that thing I find most fascinating, the way that Story influences us ... and where better to fin ...more
Kitty
This anthology ranges from American to Italian to Russian to British writers, older works to contemporary, and from the mundane to the fantastic. Each supposedly revolves around librarians or libraries, but some of them are a bit of a stretch. The works that do, however, show no small amount of reverence toward those hallowed bastions of knowledge, and librarians or those who love them should find some delight in the stories.

It is hard to critique anthologies, particularly ones as diverse as th
Jerry Delaney
People sneaked looks at the title of this book as I rode the El, and then looked up at me with pity in their eyes. Clearly I was the most boring man they had ever encountered on the train. Well, the hell with them. I really enjoyed the book.
The authors range widely: Italo Calvino, Ursula LeGuin, Isaac Babel,John Cheever, Ray Bradbury. And Alice Munro, of course. The law requires any short story collection to to include at least one by Munro. Or it should.As with any such collection of authors, a
Miriam
shoirt stories about libraries and librarians? how could i resist! if you are not a shrot story enthusiast, read this for the introduction. michael cart's introduction is worth the price of the book.
Sarah W
A unique volume of stories featuring libraries and librarians, primarily by well-known writers. I like to have a library school "therapy" read over school breaks, so I was happy when I randomly ran across this at the local free book store.

The editor doesn't provide much context for the stories he collects, but by putting them together invites interesting comparisons. I would guess that the stories were selected because of the diverse ways in which they treat the subject matter, rather than in a
Anna
For every story I enjoyed in this uneven collection, there was at least one story I was unenthusiastic about. There are a few gems in here, but there are also a number of stories that are heavy on eye roll-inducing library/librarian stereotypes.
Favorites were Italo Calvino's "A General in the Library", Anthony Boucher's "QL 696. C9", M.R. James' "The Tractate Middoth", Saki's "The Story of St. Vespaluus", John Cheever's "The Trouble of Marcie Flint", Ray Bradbury's "Exchange", and Jorge Luis Bo
Erin
I really enjoyed the first few stories in this book, but they dropped into the mediocre soon after-- possibly because they all began to feature glum lady librarians who were unsatisfied with their lives. Still, I probably would have given it another star if it weren't for all the typos. They got really, really distracting.

Favorites:
Italo Calvino, "A General in the Library"
Ursula K. LeGuin, "The Phoenix"
Joanne Greenberg, "Gloss on a Decision of the Council of Nicaea"
Gina Berriault, "Who is it C
Frank
I thoroughly enjoy anthologies, and this was no exception. This book offers up a wide variety of short stories from different genres and time periods. Many of the authors I recognize and have read other works by them. One area I was disappointed was that many stories worked to preserve the stereotypical image of the librarian, instead of trying to show ways that the stereotype is broken. This is particularly frustrating since the compiler and editor is a librarian himself. Overall, it was enjoya ...more
L
This one went on a trip with us, and I just found it in a suitcase that I used when I was in graduate school. Just had a bit more to finish up. It would probably be more relevant now that I am actually working in a library, but I recall finding the stories realistic and often, humorous. Among the stories are one by Ray Bradbury, by Alice Munro, and a really funny one titled "A General in the Library". Had a food receipt from Cracker Barrel which helped me with the date I began reading it.
Kay
This was so much fun - a collection of stories about libraries and librarians! Not surprisingly, it was a bit of a mixed bag. I didn't love everything - but there are some fantastic stories by some phenomenal writers here. There were some annoying copyediting lapses, but that's a quibble. There's even a mystery and a ghost story. Not to mention Mr. Ed!I also particularly enjoyed "The Summer Librarian." Looking forward to reading more of some of these authors' work.
Joshua Finnell

Alice Munro - Hard-Luck Stories
Francine Prose - Rubber Life

Obligatory:

Jorge Luis Borges - The Library of Babel
(For some reason, this story is cited/included in every book about libraries I have ever read.)
Cheryl
Dang. I hate artsy-fartsy Literature. The characters are neurotic, cruel, confused, hypocritical, hypercritical, and whiny. And they drink too much. I thought a whole collection of stories about people who spend their time connecting the public with enlightenment would have some bright spots, but no.
Ashley
I picked this up when I was getting books about the library to teach for preschool. Some of the stories were really good; some were just okay; one I didn't like at all. Because I love libraries, I have worked in a library, and it reminded me of Ann-Marie, it was an interesting read.
Desiree
I didn't enjoy this one very much. Normally, I don't read short stories, but I figured that stories about libraries would be interesting as the library is one of my favorite places. However, there isn't a lot here about libraries or funny library stories.... Would not recommend...
Cottageunderhill
I had to stop reading this collection. The stories that I read, and I think I stopped at number five, were all depressing. I'm all for fighting the good fight but I wasn't emotionally invested enough to actually cry over these stories. Oh well...
O'Fallon Public Library
Recommended by the Cabazon Community Library (Cabazon, California).
Cathy
I finally got to read Jorge Luis Borges short story "The library of Babel", which is one of the stories in this book. Creepy and incredibly wonderful at the same time.
Whitney Robertson
I chose this book because I am interested in different libraries and librarians. I would like to become more familiar with the wonderful libraries and librarians out there.
Enjoyed the Saki, M.R. James, Italo Calvino, and Anthony Boucher stories. Could have done without the rest, mostly because they were depressing or obtuse.
Sara
This is FANTASTIC! It's about people who love books, how they come to love books, how they discover love through books/libraries, etc etc. READ IT!
Tammy
This collection does show that librarians are just regular people too. But it seems the librarians in this book were all depressed people.
Amanda
Some of the stories were great, others I ended up skimming. But worth it just for the Ray Bradbury story near the end.
Ahndrea
It was the slowest and boring book I have ever read. It was very hard to understand the short stories.
  • The Most Beautiful Libraries in the World
  • Bizarre Books
  • Biblioholism: The Literary Addiction
  • The Case for Books: Past, Present, and Future
  • Books: A Living History
  • Among the Gently Mad: Strategies and Perspectives for the Book-Hunter in the 21st Century
  • Books on Fire: The Destruction of Libraries throughout History
  • A Passion for Books: A Book Lover's Treasury of Stories, Essays, Humor, Love and Lists on Collecting, Reading, Borrowing, Lending, Caring for, and Appreciating Books
Former Director of the Beverly Hills (CA) Public Library and a Past President of the Young Adult Library Services Association, Michael Cart is a nationally recognized expert in children's and young adult literature. Now a columnist and reviewer for ALA's Booklist magazine, he is the author or editor of eight books, including From Romance to Realism, a critical history of YA literature; MY FATHER'S ...more
More about Michael Cart...
How Beautiful the Ordinary: Twelve Stories of Identity Young Adult Literature: From Romance to Realism Love & Sex: Ten Stories of Truth My Father's Scar: A Novel Necessary Noise: Stories About Our Families as They Really Are