it's a great book to use for inspiration for all sorts of character creation activities in literacy.
I have grand ideas of reading the books as read aloud books, whilst looking at the topic of myths and legends and then linking it all to a nice activity of getting the childr ...more
The pictures are a nice mix of watercolor paint and sketches and pencil drawings. The watercolor landscape gives a "real feel" ...more
wish they would write another 'guide' with more 'fantastical creatures'.
2. I learned to much about faeries. I feel like a have a better hold on the fantastical world around me now.
3. The book is great to expand a child's vocabulary. Not only with the names of the faeries but other words the authors use in the book. I even looked up a few words.
4. The pictures are beautiful and fantastic.
5. I've been observing the world around me and looking everywhere for signs of faeries.
6. I own all of the first Spiderwick Chronicles series but I wish I owned this boo ...more
The reason I gave it only four stars is because there were many fold out pages that easily get tattered. The fold our pages are slightly smaller than all the other pages and so they easily try to fall open and the edges get beat up. I was using a library copy and library books take all kinds of abuse, but ...more
The edition that I have is a hardcover with a built in ribbon bookmark. There are fold out pictures, each more beautiful than the last and Holly Black's descriptions of the fey are incredibly detailed. Black will have you believing that fairy tale creatures walk a ...more
Really, I cannot think of anything at all that would have made this book better. It is perfect.
It is ...more
Then the actual field guide was published. It is amazing! The illustrations are beautiful and there are creatures I hadn't heard of and the information on the creatures was quite unique, even on creatures well-known such as merfolk and griffins.
I still have it now! 'Arthur Spiderw ...more
But one of the best parts with the series was.. Arthur Spiderwick's Field Guide to the Fantastical World Around You! Haha, it's awesome.I've always been a supernatural and fantasy-geek, well, then there's no surprise I liked these books :D
But don't ...more