Start by marking “I Knew You Could!: A Book for All the Stops in Your Life” as Want to Read:
I Knew You Could!: A Book for All the Stops in Your Life

I Knew You Could!: A Book for All the Stops in Your Life

The determined Little Blue Engine is back, bringing inspiring and enlightening words of wisdom to graduates of all ages as they make the transition from one phase of life to the next. I Think I Can! provides familiar comfort in changing times and serves as a wonderful gift that will be treasured for years to come. Readers will revisit the story again and again as they move ...more
Published March 24th 2003 by Grosset & Dunlap

I Knew You Could! by Craig DorfmanThe Very Hungry Caterpillar by Eric CarleThe Little Engine That Could by Watty PiperClifford the Big Red Dog by Norman BridwellThe Teacher from the Black Lagoon by Mike Thaler
BSSDCadetHalieKList
1st out of 14 books — 1 voter
Freaks I've Met by Donald JansOh, The Places You'll Go! by Dr. SeussAdulting by Kelly Williams BrownJust Graduated Guided Journal by Sara Elizabeth BoehmThe Last Lecture by Randy Pausch
Best Gift Books for College Grads
22nd out of 22 books — 18 voters

More lists with this book...

Paige Scott
Aug 29, 2016 Paige Scott rated it it was amazing
Shelves: book-summaries
1) This is my favorite book I have read so far out of all of them. This book even inspired me to look at each journey through life as a positive thing, and to always keep going through the good and the bad. This book is about a train finding its way and which track it needs to take. The train explains that you may take a few different routes before you find the right route that works best for you. The train goes through dark tunnels and tunnels with light where it has friends aboard, just like i ...more
Lisa
Feb 24, 2013 Lisa rated it it was amazing
I just read this book to my son today-twice. He loves it, but I just might love it more! It is a book that sends a very positive message. Also a very true message. Sometimes we choose our paths and don't stay on them, we find a new path, then we find yet another, but it's important we be brave and find our own because eventually we will get to where we want to. It might take some dark paths, some hard paths, but eventually, if you try hard enough you will do it. While to my four year old it's ab ...more
Emily Sirota
This realistic fiction book is about never giving up, it is a classic that almost every child should read or listen to. It gives some of the best advice you can receive. It talks about how you choose your own path and it takes you on a journey on train tracks through pages of choices you come across. These tracks are a symbol of life and all the choices are things that you might come across in the real world as you go through it. I think this book could be enjoyable for every age because it's a ...more
Andrea Boyd
Jul 16, 2014 Andrea Boyd rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fiction
This book is I Knew You Could! A Book for all the Stops in your Life. This really is a great book for all. Although kids would really enjoy it with its bright and engaging illustrations and rhythmic, rhyming style, it seems that this book would be appreciated even more by adults or anyone who has overcome hurdles in their life. While reading this book I thought of several people I would love to buy this for. Recent graduates, those going through a health crisis, or anyone up against what seems l ...more
Faller Clementine
Jun 11, 2015 Faller Clementine rated it it was amazing
Better than many of the motivational speeches I've heard. It's constrained through the narrow rhyming and vocabulary (this is for the kids, after all), but wow. This book basically encompasses all the "you can do it!"s I've heard in my life.

Wow. I did not expect to go so in depth for a picture book that I read for myself (and I'm not ashamed to admit it ;)).
Maria
In this sequel to The Little Engine That Could, the author tells us (in second-person) the types of situations you will encounter as you go through life. Like Oh The Places You'll Go, the story tells of people and feelings you'll find in your journey through life.
I loved this story and the illustrations that accompany it.
Katie Lewellen
Dec 13, 2012 Katie Lewellen rated it it was amazing
This book is great for any age group. This book teaches the importance of not giving up. I would love to read this book to begin the school year off with my students or on a difficult day.
Jane
I Knew You Could! is a book to encourage children of all ages to learn to try new things, take on challenges and stick to reaching goals while having fun, making friends and enjoying life along the way. This little book is full of possible discussions with children about building self esteem, trying new things, sticking with a difficult problem to find a solution and to have fun too. I love using it to open discussions in the classroom on a wide variety of subjects and ideas and let the children ...more
Emily Madill
Sep 27, 2012 Emily Madill rated it really liked it
‘I Knew You Could’ is a take on the classic, 'The Little Engine that could'. The story captures the many milestones, celebrations and roadblocks along the journey of life. The message throughout is to keep on moving forward despite the stumbles you will most certainly encounter along the way. I enjoy reading the story to my boys because it is all done in rhyme and is very catchy (it is not quite ‘Dr.Seuss catchy’ but close). I love the grand tour through the storyline as many of the roadblocks a ...more
Dolly
Jun 18, 2015 Dolly rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
Shelves: childrens, rhyming, 2013
This is an inspirational book featuring the train engine from the classic story The Little Engine That Could. The messages imparted in the rhyming narrative are good, but it's a bit saccharine. Still, it's a fun book to read aloud and we enjoyed reading it together. The illustrations are colorful and cartoonish.

Our youngest daughter's teacher gave this book to her at the end of the school year. I loved the message that she inscribed in the book and I think it's a good book for such a present.

T
Erica
Jun 26, 2016 Erica rated it it was amazing
This book is great. I got it for a dollar through scholastic and didn't know what to think. I bought it for my son's book collection, but it would be a great social skills book for ANY elementary grade. The older grades could really break down the metaphors used, the younger kids will still understand not giving up. Wonderful. The only reason I give it 4 out of 5 is that some lines didn't flow as nicely as I would have liked but the overall message was 5 stars.
Kristina Sutton
Dec 21, 2014 Kristina Sutton rated it it was amazing
Got this as a graduation gift from a professor after completing my masters program. It is definitely appropriate for any graduate, and is a fresh alternative for those tired of seeing the typical illustrated graduation books.
Walter Walker
May 15, 2016 Walter Walker rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childrens-books
A great age old story of overcoming the obstacles life puts before us. I like the repetitive lines in the book. Great for teaching vocabulary. I would recommend this book for toddlers through first grade.
Alice Peoples
Jan 06, 2016 Alice Peoples rated it it was amazing
I had read many children's books, this is one of the best. Keep an positive outlook in life, you will reach your goal.
Ollie
May 27, 2015 Ollie rated it it was amazing
Shelves: timeless
This is a book to learn by heart and recitein times of hardship for everyone - from 2 year-olds to 102 year-olds =)
Melissa
Aug 04, 2014 Melissa rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kids-or-teens
Good messages. As some other reviewers have noted, it is similar to "Oh the Places You'll Go" by Dr. Seuss. Very cute.
Beth
Jan 17, 2016 Beth rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Everyone should have this book. An excellent book for all children. Also a perfect gift for graduation.
Kaylee Warzecha
Sep 13, 2014 Kaylee Warzecha rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens
A good book of encouragement for a college student or other person who might be starting a new adventure.
Davin
May 08, 2015 Davin rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fairy-tales
This book is a motivation book for college students and athletes.
Lisa
Jan 19, 2014 Lisa rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
I think this book is a great motivational book. Kids could understand that no matter what, you can get through it and can accomplish the task you are striving for. I enjoyed this book and it could be read at any time of the school year.
Ashley Fischer
Sep 23, 2009 Ashley Fischer rated it it was amazing
Shelves: pbgs-1-choice
With this book we could talk about staying positive and always believing you can do anything. We could talk about choosing the right decisions. We could talk about being leaders instead of followers and choosing your own path in life instead of following what everyone else is doing. We could discuss being your own unique self and not being able to speak up and be heard. We could talk about trust yourself and taking life one day at a time. We can talk about different moods and that you will have ...more
Salsabrarian
In the vein of Seuss' "Oh the Places You'll Go!"
Joleen
Dec 25, 2015 Joleen rated it it was amazing
Wonderful book for anyone, of any age
Kayla
Sep 20, 2016 Kayla rated it really liked it
Actually really good advice and good for kids to grow up knowing
Jodi
Aug 04, 2011 Jodi rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
What a wonderful book. THis is not just a book for kids. This would be a great present for a graduate or someone just getting their life in order. This is such a great book and one that I will look to buy for our family. It is about all the stops in your life and being lonely and meeting new people. Also about how you may want what someone else has, but stay on your path and find the one that fits you best. What a great message to all!
Cindy
Apr 10, 2008 Cindy rated it it was amazing
This is an awesome book for kids!! The "Little Blue Engine" that we all know and love with her wonderful "I think I can" attitude takes children through life and explains it to them. The book addresses from a trains point of view how to make the right decisions and stay on "the right track." My 3 year old loves it-of course because of the train. I love it because it teaches him how to have a good attitude about life.
Emorie
Nov 14, 2012 Emorie rated it it was amazing
Great book! This book is my new favorite children's book. It means a lot to me because the student's at my observation site got it for me as a gift. This book is rhythmic and it's a new rendition of the story of the little engine that could (I think I can)! This story has a wonderful message--just be yourself! It is a book for all the steps in your life. :)
Shelby Usrey
Nov 25, 2012 Shelby Usrey rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children
I adore this book! It has an amazing message throughout the whole story! It's a great story about a train which explains how to stay on your own track and get through life!! The rhyming really brings this story to life! I enjoyed reading and couldn't wait to read the next page! It's a great story to read to any age group!! It could be used for inspiration!
Erin Chambers
Jun 13, 2012 Erin Chambers rated it really liked it
Great book! This book has rhyming which is great for helping kids predict a word or sound out a word. This book is about life and how you will meet new friends and sometimes be alone and have ups and downs and how your course in life will have changes and you need to slow down and enjoy each day. I love it it's a great lesson for kids about life.
Heather
May 31, 2012 Heather rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s-books
My stepson received this book as a end of school year gift from his kindergarten teacher. It was such a great inspirational story of choices you have in life and where you can travel. I think the double meaning went over Jacob's head but plan to continue reading it for years to come.

I think it is a great gift for any and all graduates!!!!
  • Alphabet Rescue
  • Tooth Trouble
  • Curious George Curious You: On Your Way!
  • The Legend of Spookley the Square Pumpkin (with CD)
  • An Awesome Book of Thanks
  • There Was a Cold Lady Who Swallowed Some Snow!
  • The Night Before the Tooth Fairy
  • Where Is Baby's Pumpkin?
  • Physics: Why Matter Matters!
  • A Pocket Full of Kisses