Start by marking “Deep in the Valley (Grace Valley Trilogy, #1)” as Want to Read:
Deep in the Valley (Grace Valley Trilogy, #1)

Deep in the Valley (Grace Valley Trilogy #1)

4.1  ·  Rating Details ·  4,742 Ratings  ·  278 Reviews
Welcome to Grace Valley, California---where blood runs thicker...ties bind stronger...and love is all the more sweet.

Mass Market Paperback, 378 pages
Published September 1st 2000 by Mira Books (first published 2000)

To ask other readers questions about Deep in the Valley, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Deep in the Valley

♥Rachel♥
Oct 18, 2016 ♥Rachel♥ rated it really liked it
Shelves: favorites, audio-book
I've already "met" Drs. John Stone, June and Elmer Hudson in the Virgin River series, so it was nice to get their story. So much to practicing medicine in a small town. You're never quite off of work and you have a personal relationship with a lot of your patients.

So many stories here, and I was invested and captivated by every one of them!

Thirty-seven year old June Hudson is the center of the story. The town doctor without much time for a personal life hires a new doctor, John Stone, to help c
Brenda (b)
After seeing several rave reviews and recommendations online, I read Virgin River by Robyn Carr - my first read by her and I loved it. Being the obsessed reader that I am, I felt I had to stop and read the Grace Valley Trilogy before continuing with the Virgin River series. These 2 sets of books are loosely related in that some of the characters are mentioned as friends of each other later on. So here I am just having finished reading Deep In The Valley Oh. My. God! I loved it so much! This book ...more
Lisa Kay
"California Poppy Field," by Granville Redmond circa 1926.

(This is a review of the audiobook.)
Story = ★★★☆☆
Narrator’s Performance = ★★★★☆
Overall = ★★★☆

I enjoyed Therese Plummer’s narration of the first in Robyn Carr’s Grace Valley Trilogy. She differentiates the characters nicely, her pacing is good, and you can tell she has some fun in spots with her tone and inflection.

Nevertheless, this book is billed as a “romance” and it doesn’t quite live up to that claim. I’m not talking about the “one
jenjn79
Jun 07, 2008 jenjn79 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to jenjn79 by: Virgin River precursor
Rating: 4.5 / 5

Sometimes I'm a little surprised at home much I enjoy Robyn Carr's books - from a romance reader standpoint. But this book just sucked me in and I couldn't put it down. Carr really knows how to tell a story.

Series Note:
First book in the Grace Valley trilogy, which is a precursor to the Virgin River series (the two are loosely connected).

Summary:
June Hudson is the town doctor for the small town of Grace Valley California. It's the place where she grew up, and where she returned to
Karen
Sep 24, 2009 Karen rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2009-reads
Deep in the Valley is the first book in Robyn Carr's Grace Valley Trilogy. This book is billed as a romance, but there's very little romance to be found here. I chose to read this book because I love Robyn Carr's Virgin River series and we meet many of the characters from Grace Valley in that series.

Deep in the Valley centers around Dr. June Hudson and the daily lives of the citizens in Grace Valley, CA. This is a small town of approximately 1500 people, and I think Robyn Carr introduces us to
Pamela(AllHoney)
The first book in he Grace Valley Trilogy by Robyn Carr. The focus on the story is June Hudson, a doctor in the small community of Grace Valley, California. It is not a romance but more of chicklit or women's fiction, though there is a small romantic element introduced well into the story. It's sort of a small town soap opera. But it was good. The story moved nicely along without lagging or getting bogged down in too many details or explanations. I would have loved to have gotten more of a roman ...more
Marleen
Dec 16, 2016 Marleen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Marleen by: Jo
Shelves: favorites, robyn-carr
Before Robyn Carr started writing the alternatively successful Virgin River series, (which I personally have found very mediocre at times), she wrote her best series: The Grace Valley books. There’s only 3 books and I’m currently re-reading them and it’s such a pleasure.
The characters are colorful, quirky and totally engaging. The main character is 37-year Dr. June Hudson, local family physician. June loves practicing medicine in her small mountain town and she takes care of her people. The back
Dee
Apr 25, 2013 Dee rated it really liked it

I was disappointed with the lack of romance and if I I was rated it as such then it would scrape 2-3 stars, but I have to rate this higher as it a good solid enjoyable story and deserves more.

I hope we get to see a bit more of Jim in the next book and the romance between him and June really gets going!
Cyndi
Mar 29, 2017 Cyndi rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Generally, I am not a fan of romances. Like many young females, I went through a Harlequin phase in my early teens. This was when Harlequins were heavy on dominant males and light on sexual activity. I soon graduated to Sidney Sheldon, Judith Krantz and Harold Robbins....and in a whirlwind left the tame romance world behind. Flash forward forty years and I find myself inexplicably bound by Robyn Carr. I absolutely adore The Virgin River series which led me to the Grace Valley "prequels".

I adore
Annika
Sep 16, 2008 Annika rated it did not like it
This is ultimate fluff. It's perfect for a grandmother who wants to pass the time between crocheting afghans and petting her cat. It's safe and so sweet your teeth will hurt. I'm sure in some part I was supposed to cheer, but I'm too "POLICE BRUTALITY" to do so, even if the guy DID deserve an asp in the kneecaps.

I guess that's fiction.

This saccharine-sweet story was given its chance because Robyn Carr wrote the Virgin River series, which only the first 3 books of those are worth reading...so thi
Masanobu
Jan 30, 2016 Masanobu rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own, read-in-2016
Deep in the Valley is really light on romance. In fact, shelving it as romance is probably a mistake. It's more like a mashup of small town and medical novels, if those were genres at all. The undercover DEA agent who is going to be the hero? Doesn't appear until midway through the novel. And he interacts with the heroine a grand total of three times. He has no more than ten sentences on the whole book! It's not a relationship in which one can become invested, definitely. If I hadn't read Virgin ...more
Vickie
I am glad that I read some GR reviews that led me to read this Grace Valley series before I began the Virgin River series. For a review of the storyline, click on Deep in the Valley.

This is my first book by Robyn Carr and I thoroughly enjoyed listening to the audiobook. Therese Plummer did an excellent job with the pacing of the story as well as differentiating among the various characters. It was easy to keep ALL of them straight.

June Hudson, the town doctor, knows exactly what she has given u
Darcy
Jul 30, 2010 Darcy rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2011, audio-book, romance, 2015
I really love the Virgin River series, so I have been wanting to try this one as I have seen some of these characters in those books. I wonder though if I went into these books with too high expectations. While overall I did like this book it just didn't have the greatness of VR.

One of my big issues with this book was that so much happened in this book. Granted the book did take place over a few months, but in such a little town I have to really wonder how so many different events happened. I al
Lisa - (Aussie Girl)
Sep 05, 2012 Lisa - (Aussie Girl) rated it really liked it
The pre-quel series to Virgin River. This has Robyn Carr's characteristic writing style, an ensemble cast of good and bad small town characters and an interesting secret romance between the town's doctor and an undercover federal agent. Despite the close-door love scene which I am not a fan of, I do enjoy these home town romances of Robyn Carr's and look forward to continuing the trilogy.
Nan
Nov 21, 2015 Nan rated it did not like it
Shelves: never-again
I want the hours of my life back that I spent with this pointless, meandering, preachy, obnoxious drivel.
Karen
Mar 06, 2017 Karen rated it really liked it
I wanted something other than a murder mystery for a while. I pulled this one because there were 3 in the series. Usually a good sign if there is more than one.

I did enjoy it. The reader was excellent. It reminded me of listening to a really good TV Series. Lots of things going on in this little town with anyone chewing on the scenery.

Looking forward to book 2

Margaret
Oct 16, 2013 Margaret rated it did not like it
Shelves: fiction
Yikes....what was I thinking when I started this book? I have to admit I was pulled in by the allure of the location of the story; in a small town located in Humboldt Co. in Northern California. I live in Northern Cal. and I vacation frequently in Humboldt Co. This story was a regular Peyton place, depicting us Nor. Cal. people as either pot growers (there is a lot of them), dense mountain folk, and without any mention of hippies which is a cultural mainstay here and there. No worries, I am not ...more
Mom
Aug 16, 2010 Mom rated it liked it
Shelves: read-during-2010
It was enough to make me want to read the rest, but was kind of boring.

Visitors to the town often remark about the valley's peace and beauty---both of which are plentiful. Unlocked doors, front porches, pies cooling in the windows---this is country life at its finest. But visitors don't always see what lies at the heart of a community. Or just beyond...

June Hudson grew up in Grace Valley, the daughter of the town doctor. Leaving only to get her medical training, she returned home and followed i
Beatrizz1983
La verdad es que decir que "Un lugar en el valle", es una novela romántica, es mucho decir.. La historia narra las aventuras de una doctora de pueblo y su relación con las diferentes personas del valle. Hay acción, misterio y tensión... pero poco más. Me ha gustado como siempre la forma de narrar de Robyn Carr, volver a ver a algunos de los personajes de Virgin River.. como al terapeuta que ve "platillos volantes", y desenmarañar algunas tramas que van generando un suspense a lo largo de la hist ...more
Joy
Mar 15, 2009 Joy rated it really liked it
Going back 9 years (that's publishing years) we see the village of Grace Valley, the over-the-mountains neighbor to Virgin River. I ordered the Grace Valley trilogy on line when I ran out of Virgin River books. The anchor character is Dr. June Hudson, later to become the good friend of Mel, midwife of Virgin River. Here June is looking for a partner in her father-daughter medical clinic, and thinks Dr. John Stone may be too good to be true. On the other hand, she almost instantly trusts Jim, who ...more
June
Jul 26, 2013 June rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is not your typical romance book. The book was more focused on the heroine, Dr June Hudson, her clinic, and the goings on in her small town, Grace Valley. While the romance pretty much happened in the background. I'm not sure if I like that, but Robyn Carr really great at creating such a serene small-town atmosphere full of likeable character with their everyday problem.
I give this book 4 stars because I admire the way Robyn Carr write sensitive issue like domestic violence which feat
ReaderOz
Jan 28, 2010 ReaderOz rated it did not like it
I fell asleep reading this book, which should tell you how uninteresting it is.

Robyn Carr specialises in writing about everyday events, but she generally has a plot to go with them. This book had nothing happening. We met just about every resident of the region and followed them around doing everyday things, but I couldn't figure out what the actual story was.

The Virgin River series is not without its faults, but at least there is usually a story! You do not need to read the Grace Valley trilo
Vicky
Apr 29, 2015 Vicky rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
After reading most of the Virgin River series I noticed that Robyn Carr had also written a trilogy about Grace Valley. I checked out the descriptions of the books and found out that some of the characters that have appeared in the Virgin River books, most notably June Hudson, John Stone and Chief Toopeaks, are among the main characters of this trilogy. Deep in the Valley starts off the trilogy in fine form. Great plot and characters and a lot of heart!
Reen
Feb 12, 2016 Reen rated it really liked it
Shelves: contemp-romance
Book 1 of a trilogy. June is a small town doctor who has taken over her father's practice but the town is growing and she needs a partner. An unlikely candidate shows up and he might be too good to be true. Great story that revolves around the community. There are quite a few characters but Carr makes it easy to keep track of them. Looking forward to book 2
Oct 25, 2009 Jennifer rated it it was ok
much too sappy. Harps on and on about the small town life, June's lack of love, the wandering preacher, and the medical emergencies. I also felt there was no real plot until about 3/4 of the way through the book. I definitely skimmed through this one.
Sarah Peralta
Aug 11, 2011 Sarah Peralta rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love Robyn Carr books. I wish I would have known that this trilogy took place before the Virgin River series, since some of these character show up there once in a while. Good start to the trilogy. Can't wait to start the next one.
Carol
Feb 27, 2012 Carol rated it it was amazing
I had already read books 2 & 3 in this series, but I enjoyed my visits to Grace Valley so much that when I found book 3, I just had to go back and find out how it all began. Engaging stories all wound together with mysteries, romance, and humor.
Dee

No HEA yet

Re-read March 2014
Kim
Nov 23, 2014 Kim rated it really liked it
Deep in the Valley is another winner by Robyn Carr. I'm looking forward to reading book 2.
CatBookMom
These are just good stories; less sexual descriptions than in the Virgin River series.
  • That Holiday Feeling (Virgin River, #7.5; Those Manning Men, #5)
  • Angel's Rest (Eternity Springs, #1)
  • About That Man (The Trinity Harbor Trilogy, #1)
  • Coming Home (Chesapeake Diaries #1)
  • Willowleaf Lane (Hope's Crossing, #5)
  • Fireside (Lakeshore Chronicles, #5)
  • Somewhere Along The Way (Harmony #2)
  • Sweet Talk (Bakery Sisters, #1)
A RITA award-winning author of 25 novels, Robyn Carr has found a whole new following with her stories about the independent women and former marines of Virgin River."

RT's Career Achievement Best Author Award winner (2010) for Contemporary Romance.

RWA's Nora Roberts Lifetime Achievement Award recipient 2016
More about Robyn Carr...

Grace Valley Trilogy (3 books)
  • Just Over the Mountain (Grace Valley Trilogy, #2)
  • Down by the River (Grace Valley Trilogy, #3)

“no evidence of a stroke, Birdie. He was a little disoriented after—” “He was disoriented before! I tried to get his attention, but he had that glazed-over look on his face, like he gets when he’s thinking about some complicated” 0 likes