Start by marking “The Nun's Tale (Owen Archer, #3)” as Want to Read:
The Nun's Tale (Owen Archer, #3)

The Nun's Tale (Owen Archer #3)

3.84 of 5 stars 3.84  ·  rating details  ·  525 ratings  ·  16 reviews
Spring 1366, Beverley, England--a ghostly pale young woman claims to be the resurrected Joanna Calverley, a nun who died of a fever some months before. It would be a matter for the Church alone, were it not for the murders that seem to follow in her wake.

Owen Archer finds the case a frusterating one. Dame Joanne is by turns cagey and hysterical, whiel always clutching her
Published October 15th 1996 by St. Martin's Paperbacks (first published 1993)

To ask other readers questions about The Nun's Tale, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Nun's Tale

Jeanne
A runaway nun returns. Everyone around her is being killed. Owen to the investigation. There were quite a few twists and turns in this book. Lucie has a reconciliation with her father. Their first child is born. Men plotting against the king end up dead - with one exception. Were there miracles? Decide for yourself. A number of facts are listed in the notes at the end to support the plot twists.
Shauna
I have read most of the books in this series. The cover calls it a medieval murder mystery but there is no whodunnit as such. The story revolves around a nun who fled her convent a year before and now returns, badly beaten and seemingly mad. I think the author wanted to write about the history and political machinations of the time as there is no actual murder, just a series of disappearances that may or may not be murder. I felt like giving up halfway through but kept hoping things would get be ...more
Al Mcphee
The book is part of a series by Candace Robb that I would characterize as light historical mysteries. Owen Archer, previously a Captain of Archers, but now retired after the loss of the sight of one eye, has been taken on by the Archbishop of York as an investigator and spy. In this book, he is trying to unravel the case of a runaway nun who is disoriented, may be responsible for some miracles, and could be connected with some murders. The story weaves around to the point of being somewhat confu ...more
P.d.r. Lindsay
Another Owen Archer novel. This one is a little irritating as the Nun spends all her time bleating that she doesn't know what happened and I felt like shaking her!

Another good complex plot, lively action, good pace and the usual characters. My one complaint is that the characters don't seem to grow and change from novel to novel as they would in real life! Often the trouble with a series.

Anyone enjoying Mediaeval mysteries will enjoy this novel, and for Owen Archer fans, it is a must read.
Julie
Jan 20, 2015 Julie rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2015
A fun romp through the English countryside looking for the reason that death follows a runaway nun.
Meg
Mah, comincia ad annoiare questo ciclo...
Scott L.
Of the three Owen Archer books I have read, I found this one to be the best so far. I hope that they continue to get better as the series goes on.
Sandra Strange
This series stars an Archer for Edward I and his apothecary wife with great Medieval background and historical detail and a good puzzle mystery to draw in readers. I enjoyed the human relationships as well as the mystery, this one the mystery of a nun who escaped her monastery only to return obviously sick and beaten and hallucinating. A cameo appearance by Chaucer enhances the tale.
Susan
The nun in the title of this book is Joanna Calverley, and both Owen Archer and his wife, Mistress (Lucie) Wilton are drawn into solving the mystery surrounding her sudden reappearance. As always, the plot and story-line are fine, but what makes these books so much fun is the characters (especially Owen and Lucie) and the historical setting, in this case 1366.
Leslie
I liked Robb's first two books in this series but this one was poorly crafted. The story was overly involved, repetitive, excessively grisly in detail, and unrewarding for those who stuck with it hoping it would have been worth it. I am sorry to leave the appealing Owen Archer and his wife Lucy in her company but will not be back soon!
Daniele Iuppariello
ho faticato un po' a finirlo, e tra l'altro non �� che la trama mi sia stata "chiarissima", ma un po' mi sono affezionato alle storie di contorno di quei personaggi ormai familiari.
per�� Thoresby mi sta sempre pi�� sul cazzo.
Jenni
I really like this series. There were quite a few characters in this story to keep straight, but it is a clever mix of history and story. I love the story line of Lucie and Owen!
Liisa
I like this series, but this installment was just odd. Incest, thieving nuns, too many murders to count... it was too much all at once.
Bill Conley
Interesting start as usual, engrossing as the earlier books. An enjoyable read
ghostlibrarian
Mystery in the middle ages. I loved these books.
Michelle
Michelle marked it as to-read
Jan 31, 2015
Patricia
Patricia marked it as to-read
Jan 30, 2015
Sarah Boyd
Sarah Boyd marked it as to-read
Jan 28, 2015
Maureen Sklaroff
Maureen Sklaroff marked it as to-read
Jan 28, 2015
Kris
Kris marked it as to-read
Jan 22, 2015
Vandana
Vandana marked it as to-read
Jan 22, 2015
Kara
Kara marked it as to-read
Jan 16, 2015
  • The House of the Red Slayer (The Sorrowful Mysteries of Brother Athelstan, #2)
  • The Bishop's Tale (Sister Frevisse, #4)
  • The Chatter of the Maidens (Hawkenlye Mysteries, #4)
  • The Rose Rent (Chronicles of Brother Cadfael, #13)
  • The Ravens of Blackwater (Domesday, #2)
AKA Emma Campion or Candace M. Robb
My novels are inspired by my study of the late Middle Ages in Northern Europe. I write crime novels under my own name, and historical novels about women in King Edward III's court under the pen name Emma Campion. I live in the beautiful Pacific NW, but frequently spend stretches of time in England, Scotland and Wales doing research and exploring. I have two ongoi
More about Candace Robb...

Owen Archer (10 books)
  • The Apothecary Rose (Owen Archer, #1)
  • The Lady Chapel (Owen Archer, #2)
  • The King's Bishop (Owen Archer, #4)
  • The Riddle of St. Leonard's (Owen Archer, #5)
  • A Gift of Sanctuary (Owen Archer, #6)
  • A Spy for the Redeemer (Owen Archer, #7)
  • The Cross-Legged Knight (Owen Archer, #8)
  • The Guilt of Innocents (Owen Archer, #9)
  • A Vigil of Spies (Owen Archer, #10)
The Apothecary Rose (Owen Archer, #1) A Gift of Sanctuary (Owen Archer, #6) The Lady Chapel (Owen Archer, #2) The King's Bishop (Owen Archer, #4) The Riddle of St. Leonard's (Owen Archer, #5)