Start by marking “The Winners Manual: For the Game of Life” as Want to Read:
The Winners Manual: For the Game of Life

The Winners Manual: For the Game of Life

3.92  ·  Rating Details  ·  438 Ratings  ·  50 Reviews
"The Winners Manual: For the Game of Life" shares Ohio State football coach Jim Tressel's “Big Ten” fundamentals for success: Attitude, Discipline, Faith, Handling Adversity & Success, Excellence, Love, Toughness, Responsibility, Team, and Hope. Peppered with personal stories from Coach Tressel’s storied coaching career, this book shares the fundamental lessons that he ...more
Published July 1st 2008 by Tyndale House Publishers

Krenzel
Oct 24, 2008 Krenzel rated it really liked it
As an Ohio State graduate and huge football fan, I remember being stunned when Coach Jim Tressel was hired as our football coach in 2001. Like a lot of Ohio State fans, I was wondering, who is this guy? Up until being hired at Ohio State, Coach Tressel was hidden in obscurity in Youngstown, quietly winning four national titles there while Ohio State football endured the turmoil of the Cooper years. Seven years after being hired, Coach Tressel is not obscure anymore. To haters, he will always be ...more
Ben  Campopiano
Jan 26, 2011 Ben Campopiano rated it really liked it
XVI: (Senior speeches at end of year banquet. Include fundamental that was critical to their development. Describe the hero, winner or mentor in their lives. Describe a real-life lesson they learned.)
19: ... the most important thing to me is to see them grow as men. Their spiritual plan, their morals, their values, their work ethic. all of those elements need to be part of who we are, what we talk about, and what we demand from each other.
25: "Before I can do, I must be." We tell our players tha
Rebekah
Oct 07, 2009 Rebekah rated it it was amazing
For being a Michigan fan, this is a great book so far.
Kelly
Dec 29, 2008 Kelly rated it it was amazing
It's 8:45 and Michigan still sucks.
Adam
Sep 26, 2015 Adam rated it it was amazing
I'm biased here cause as a Christian that hopes o coach sports someday this book really struck a chord with me. It was really encouraging to hear how faith intersects all of his philosophies and teachings to his players. I think this book should be read by anyone that is involved with sports particularly if you're an Ohio State fan since many of the stories told will not be foreign to you. I think it is a great encouragement if you are a Christian and if you aren't it is a practical and clear pr ...more
Ben Daghir
Jun 06, 2015 Ben Daghir rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites, coaching
If the game of life were to end tonight, would you be a winner?

Tressel throws this question out on the first page and answers "how" to battle this question on a daily basis.

Many books that include questions at the end of the chapters are just annoying, but this book's chapter questions are essential.

Each question becomes personal and encourages the reader to delve into his/her own life. I personally answered each question on Microsoft Word and it helped me to truly dive into Tressel's "Block
Cathy Allen
So the Ohio State football season opened this past weekend and I was not in front of the TV for the game. This is the second Buckeye season without Jim Tressel and I find myself struggling to care whether the team wins or loses. My whole life I have "bled scarlet and gray" as we say around here... but when they pressured Coach Tressel into resigning they really tarnished the OSU brand as far as I am concerned.

Tressel's book is about leadership... something at which he excels. I loved this book,
Spacek Kim
Jan 21, 2016 Spacek Kim rated it liked it
Jim Tressel relates how systematically setting goals for success can influence behavior. He includes Christian values throughout his 'winners manual.' He recognizes that he must set the example for the several Christian, religious, and non-religious athletes that he may work with. Several people have impacted his life and he talks about their impact on him.
Dusty
Jan 04, 2010 Dusty rated it liked it
In a lot of ways this book is very similar to many books that can be read about leading your life according to a certain set of value, principles, or purposes. The main thing that make this book different is the stories and illustrations that Tressel uses. Any Buckeye fan is certain to find those stories interesting as I did. It also interesting to learn a little more about a coach that has always seemed to be a true class act.

The one "value" that Tressel included in his "Big Ten" that I have ne
Braden Bromley
Jan 06, 2014 Braden Bromley rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: sport lovers
Recommended to Braden by: nobody
This was an amazing book, it taught me so many life lessons and changed my perspective of life a little. If you want or need more success this, or love sports like me, then this is the perfect book for you. It was a quick read for me if that interests any of you, it only took me one week. But this sports book is a life changer, it talks about the Ohio State football program and how they got success. But Jim Tressel transfers that team success into everyday life success. It;s a really cook book ...more
Carey
Nov 11, 2009 Carey rated it really liked it
Although this book is found in the football section of your local bookstore, there is not much here on the X's and O's. The author allows the reader, rather, to reflect on their own lives using some of the same principles that he shares with his team. The stories are interesting, and the quotes managed to be timely with what was going on in my life when I was reading it. I now fully understand why players want to play for Coach Tressel and why you never hear a parent complaining about him. I've ...more
Flavil Hampsten
Jan 18, 2015 Flavil Hampsten rated it really liked it
Despite what happened to Tressel for his dishonesty, the book is a good read on building culture. I'd recommend it regardless of his actions in life.
Rob
Sep 24, 2008 Rob rated it liked it
Some good sections and some that I didn't find quite as useful. I would like to have seen more examples from his actual manual than was presented. I did like the focus that Tressel puts on core principles that transcend any industry or career -- faith, family, discipline, integrity. Sadly, you don't often get that viewpoint from business or motivational books often enough. If you like this I would strongly recommend anything from John Maxwell -- 360 degree leader, Talent is Never Enough, etc. -- ...more
Ann Yanchura
Mar 24, 2016 Ann Yanchura rated it it was amazing
A stirring motivational plan to get your life on track and focus on what is important in your life
Landon Stuart
Dec 10, 2014 Landon Stuart rated it liked it
His writing skills are not the best, but the messages he tries to get across are valuable. 3/5.
Bernice Kaldy
May 14, 2014 Bernice Kaldy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved it bought copies for all my co workers. Highly motivational.
Brian
Dec 30, 2013 Brian rated it liked it
Shelves: sports
Interesting book, diminished by Tressel's issues at Ohio State, this book is still worth reading, as it gives solid advice regarding the idea that discipline, hard work, a positive attitude and an orderly approach to goals will allow a person to be successful.

What I found myself looking forward to reading were the many quotes scattered throughout the book that talk about life, success, and winning. Worth reading for those alone.
JC
Feb 12, 2012 JC rated it liked it
I enjoyed the different characteristics in this book and a lot of the quotes. There wasn't anything specific here that changed my life but they are great fundamentals to apply in life for everyone. My take on this book is that Tressel has had several requests for the book that they gave to their players ever year and in order to handle that, he wrote this shortened version in order to give to everyone. Some of the book was a little weird in its formatting and so forth but overall a good read tha ...more
Marti
Jan 03, 2010 Marti rated it really liked it
I liked the way the book was formatted and the way Coach Tressel weaved in relevant quotes and stories from his life. Of course, it doesn't hurt that I'm a Buckeyes fan... As a fan, I have new insights about the way he runs the OSU football team. The questions for reflection were helpful, although I honestly didn't reflect on them as long as I perhaps could have. I plan to revisit them.
Craig Rozelle
May 08, 2011 Craig Rozelle rated it liked it
I started reading this book right before Coach Tressel was sanctioned for contract and NCAA rule infractions. The book is formulaic and simple. I'm sure his young athletes gain great value from his philosophies. For those of us who have read a few business books and attended a few seminars, it's not going to change our thought process in a meaningful way.
Les
Apr 27, 2015 Les rated it it was amazing
Awesome! This was a great inspiring read with thought provoking challenges for right living from a football perspective. Great application for a life of growth, service, love, and respect.
Jacob Hall
May 01, 2013 Jacob Hall rated it it was amazing
This was a very good sports book. He was a very good coach and had a very good team when he was at Ohio State. He also made this players dream come true by playing him a lot and they player got put into the NCAA football game and that was his dream. He also made the team go by the block O rules and set goals for themselves.
Dan Gabree
Jun 14, 2014 Dan Gabree rated it liked it
Good book with lots of inspirational quotes and stories. Similar to others with a sports/football point of view.
Donald Ozello
Jun 21, 2015 Donald Ozello rated it really liked it
I've read this book several times. Each time I am inspired and learn a great deal. Coach Tressel does a tremendous job in describing each section of the Winner's Manual in a story telling manner. Thanks Coach, great book which I highly recommend for all, especially Ohio State Football fans.
Ansley
Mar 28, 2014 Ansley rated it it was amazing
I have just finished this book today and it is an amazing book talking about what it takes to get through life and the importance of God in your everyday life, and not to make time in your schedule forGod but to put your Schedule around God. This is a must read book and very inspiring
Marybeth Koberna
Aug 02, 2009 Marybeth Koberna is currently reading it
Written by Jim Tressel, Head Coach for the Ohio State Buckeyes, this book will inspire and encourage you to face anything you encounter in life. Filled with amazing quotes and stories of success, adversity, hope and love. A must read for everyone; Buckeye, Wolverine or otherwise.
Greg
Feb 07, 2011 Greg rated it it was ok
it's kind of like "self-help light". Good exercises but nothing likely to be life changing. Lots of stories about God and football. If you are a religious zealot or huge buckeye football fan, this book may be for you, otherwise, you'll likely find better results reading something else.
Danny
Jul 06, 2013 Danny rated it it was amazing
Quite possibly my favorite book. Very useful lessons that cover an array of characteristics and life-style choices.

highly recommend for anyone involved in athletics and/or managing people.

Interactive read. Rather quick but carries a ton of substance. Get your highlighter ready!
Whitney
Apr 20, 2009 Whitney rated it it was ok
I'm sure this a good book and it's probably the fact that I had to read it for work...yes for work. We have a book club. But I feel like this book was rather repetitive. I usually like books that use regular everyday language but he just used way too many cliches. Eh.
Ann
Jan 08, 2011 Ann rated it it was amazing
A gift from my brother, this book represents the values of many old Ohio families - so very consistent with traditional values. "Work is love made visible."

I would hope that women will not be put off by the football references. This book speaks to us all.
  • Remember Why You Play
  • Psych Yourself Rich: Get the Mindset and Discipline You Need to Build Your Financial Life
  • Leading with the Heart: Coach K's Successful Strategies for Basketball, Business, and Life
  • Two Wars: One Hero's Fight on Two Fronts--Abroad and Within
  • Help Me Win at Work: A Business Philosophy called ''Don't Mark My Paper, Help Me Get an A'' (Leading at a Higher Level)
  • Unbillable Hours: A True Story
  • The Truth about Getting the Best from People (Truth about)
  • The Personal Credibility Factor: How to Get It, Keep It, and Get It Back (If You've Lost It)
  • The Power Of Influence
  • A Dog Named Slugger
  • One Hit Wonder
  • Win Forever
  • Thank God It's Monday!: How to Create a Workplace You and Your Customers Love
  • Angel of Death Row: My Life as a Death Penalty Defense Lawyer
  • On Bear Mountain

“Start by doing what’s necessary, then what’s possible, and suddenly you are doing the impossible. Saint Francis of Assisi” 0 likes