Start by marking “The Winners Manual: For the Game of Life” as Want to Read:
The Winners Manual: For the Game of Life
Preview

The Winners Manual: For the Game of Life

3.9 of 5 stars 3.90  ·  rating details  ·  333 ratings  ·  45 reviews
"The Winners Manual: For the Game of Life" shares Ohio State football coach Jim Tressel's "Big Ten" fundamentals for success: Attitude, Discipline, Faith, Handling Adversity & Success, Excellence, Love, Toughness, Responsibility, Team, and Hope. Peppered with personal stories from Coach Tressel's storied coaching career, this book shares the fundamental lessons that he ...more
Published July 1st 2008 by Tyndale House Publishers

To ask other readers questions about The Winners Manual, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Winners Manual

Krenzel
As an Ohio State graduate and huge football fan, I remember being stunned when Coach Jim Tressel was hired as our football coach in 2001. Like a lot of Ohio State fans, I was wondering, who is this guy? Up until being hired at Ohio State, Coach Tressel was hidden in obscurity in Youngstown, quietly winning four national titles there while Ohio State football endured the turmoil of the Cooper years. Seven years after being hired, Coach Tressel is not obscure anymore. To haters, he will always be ...more
Ben  Campopiano
XVI: (Senior speeches at end of year banquet. Include fundamental that was critical to their development. Describe the hero, winner or mentor in their lives. Describe a real-life lesson they learned.)
19: ... the most important thing to me is to see them grow as men. Their spiritual plan, their morals, their values, their work ethic. all of those elements need to be part of who we are, what we talk about, and what we demand from each other.
25: "Before I can do, I must be." We tell our players tha
Ben Daghir
If the game of life were to end tonight, would you be a winner?

Tressel throws this question out on the first page and answers "how" to battle this question on a daily basis.

Many books that include questions at the end of the chapters are just annoying, but this book's chapter questions are essential.

Each question becomes personal and encourages the reader to delve into his/her own life. I personally answered each question on Microsoft Word and it helped me to truly dive into Tressel's "Block
Rebekah
For being a Michigan fan, this is a great book so far.
Kelly
It's 8:45 and Michigan still sucks.
Cathy Allen
So the Ohio State football season opened this past weekend and I was not in front of the TV for the game. This is the second Buckeye season without Jim Tressel and I find myself struggling to care whether the team wins or loses. My whole life I have "bled scarlet and gray" as we say around here... but when they pressured Coach Tressel into resigning they really tarnished the OSU brand as far as I am concerned.

Tressel's book is about leadership... something at which he excels. I loved this book,
Dusty
In a lot of ways this book is very similar to many books that can be read about leading your life according to a certain set of value, principles, or purposes. The main thing that make this book different is the stories and illustrations that Tressel uses. Any Buckeye fan is certain to find those stories interesting as I did. It also interesting to learn a little more about a coach that has always seemed to be a true class act.

The one "value" that Tressel included in his "Big Ten" that I have ne
Braden Bromley
Jan 06, 2014 Braden Bromley rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: sport lovers
Recommended to Braden by: nobody
This was an amazing book, it taught me so many life lessons and changed my perspective of life a little. If you want or need more success this, or love sports like me, then this is the perfect book for you. It was a quick read for me if that interests any of you, it only took me one week. But this sports book is a life changer, it talks about the Ohio State football program and how they got success. But Jim Tressel transfers that team success into everyday life success. It;s a really cook book ...more
Carey
Although this book is found in the football section of your local bookstore, there is not much here on the X's and O's. The author allows the reader, rather, to reflect on their own lives using some of the same principles that he shares with his team. The stories are interesting, and the quotes managed to be timely with what was going on in my life when I was reading it. I now fully understand why players want to play for Coach Tressel and why you never hear a parent complaining about him. I've ...more
Flavil Hampsten
Despite what happened to Tressel for his dishonesty, the book is a good read on building culture. I'd recommend it regardless of his actions in life.
Rob
Some good sections and some that I didn't find quite as useful. I would like to have seen more examples from his actual manual than was presented. I did like the focus that Tressel puts on core principles that transcend any industry or career -- faith, family, discipline, integrity. Sadly, you don't often get that viewpoint from business or motivational books often enough. If you like this I would strongly recommend anything from John Maxwell -- 360 degree leader, Talent is Never Enough, etc. -- ...more
Landon Stuart
His writing skills are not the best, but the messages he tries to get across are valuable. 3/5.
Bernice Kaldy
Loved it bought copies for all my co workers. Highly motivational.
Brian
Interesting book, diminished by Tressel's issues at Ohio State, this book is still worth reading, as it gives solid advice regarding the idea that discipline, hard work, a positive attitude and an orderly approach to goals will allow a person to be successful.

What I found myself looking forward to reading were the many quotes scattered throughout the book that talk about life, success, and winning. Worth reading for those alone.
JC
I enjoyed the different characteristics in this book and a lot of the quotes. There wasn't anything specific here that changed my life but they are great fundamentals to apply in life for everyone. My take on this book is that Tressel has had several requests for the book that they gave to their players ever year and in order to handle that, he wrote this shortened version in order to give to everyone. Some of the book was a little weird in its formatting and so forth but overall a good read tha ...more
Marti
I liked the way the book was formatted and the way Coach Tressel weaved in relevant quotes and stories from his life. Of course, it doesn't hurt that I'm a Buckeyes fan... As a fan, I have new insights about the way he runs the OSU football team. The questions for reflection were helpful, although I honestly didn't reflect on them as long as I perhaps could have. I plan to revisit them.
Craig Rozelle
I started reading this book right before Coach Tressel was sanctioned for contract and NCAA rule infractions. The book is formulaic and simple. I'm sure his young athletes gain great value from his philosophies. For those of us who have read a few business books and attended a few seminars, it's not going to change our thought process in a meaningful way.
Jacob Hall
This was a very good sports book. He was a very good coach and had a very good team when he was at Ohio State. He also made this players dream come true by playing him a lot and they player got put into the NCAA football game and that was his dream. He also made the team go by the block O rules and set goals for themselves.
Dan Gabree
Good book with lots of inspirational quotes and stories. Similar to others with a sports/football point of view.
Ansley
I have just finished this book today and it is an amazing book talking about what it takes to get through life and the importance of God in your everyday life, and not to make time in your schedule forGod but to put your Schedule around God. This is a must read book and very inspiring
Marybeth Koberna
Aug 02, 2009 Marybeth Koberna is currently reading it
Written by Jim Tressel, Head Coach for the Ohio State Buckeyes, this book will inspire and encourage you to face anything you encounter in life. Filled with amazing quotes and stories of success, adversity, hope and love. A must read for everyone; Buckeye, Wolverine or otherwise.
Greg
it's kind of like "self-help light". Good exercises but nothing likely to be life changing. Lots of stories about God and football. If you are a religious zealot or huge buckeye football fan, this book may be for you, otherwise, you'll likely find better results reading something else.
Danny
Quite possibly my favorite book. Very useful lessons that cover an array of characteristics and life-style choices.

highly recommend for anyone involved in athletics and/or managing people.

Interactive read. Rather quick but carries a ton of substance. Get your highlighter ready!
Whitney
I'm sure this a good book and it's probably the fact that I had to read it for work...yes for work. We have a book club. But I feel like this book was rather repetitive. I usually like books that use regular everyday language but he just used way too many cliches. Eh.
Ann
A gift from my brother, this book represents the values of many old Ohio families - so very consistent with traditional values. "Work is love made visible."

I would hope that women will not be put off by the football references. This book speaks to us all.
Barb Boardman-Pavao
Lots of good quotes & inspirations. My favorite (not literal) - Keep your head where you butt is. If you're at work, work. If you're w/family focus on them. Don't be multi-tasking. ;-)

Interesting after the scandals & his resignation.
Nancy
Basic, common sense approach from a person who knows and has experienced leadership in a challenging setting -- college sports. Great for reminding us of how we should be presenting ourselves as leaders.
Sue Kelliher
Actually not about football, but finding purpose and meaning in life no matter what you're calling. Would want any college or high school student to read this, any adult for that matter!
This is a self help book of sorts. Plus it also gives an OSU fan deeper insight into Tressel's methods for helping the kids become leaders in life, not just on the field.
Mirek Kukla
Not huge into motivational books; boss had me read it, enjoyed it more than I expected too. Gets a little redundant, but the lessons are good. There's lots of great quotes.
  • Two Wars: One Hero's Fight on Two Fronts--Abroad and Within
  • Leading with the Heart: Coach K's Successful Strategies for Basketball, Business, and Life
  • The Questions Christians Hope No One Will Ask: (With Answers)
  • A Dog Named Slugger
  • The 21 Most Powerful Minutes in a Leader's Day: Revitalize Your Spirit and Empower Your Leadership
  • Unbillable Hours: A True Story
  • The Truth about Getting the Best from People (Truth about)
  • The Personal Credibility Factor: How to Get It, Keep It, and Get It Back (If You've Lost It)
  • Help Me Win at Work: A Business Philosophy called ''Don't Mark My Paper, Help Me Get an A'' (Leading at a Higher Level)
  • The DNA of Relationships
  • First Things First: The Rules of Being a Warner
  • The Justice Game
  • On Bear Mountain
  • One Hit Wonder
Life Promises for Success: Promises from God on Achieving Your Best The Winners Manual What It Means to Be a Buckeye: Jim Tressel and Ohio State's Greatest Players More Than a Coach: What It Means to Play for Coach, Mentor, and Friend Jim Tressel Diary of an Unforgettable Season: 2006 Ohio State Buckeyes