Start by marking “Hardscape: 2a Mystery Introducing Ben Abbott” as Want to Read:
Hardscape: 2a Mystery Introducing Ben Abbott

Hardscape: 2a Mystery Introducing Ben Abbott (Ben Abbott Mysteries #1)

3.59 of 5 stars 3.59  ·  rating details  ·  71 ratings  ·  10 reviews
When Ben Abbott returns to the small Connecticut town where he grew up, after doing a stint in Leavenworth for his Wall Street trading activities, he's hired by a P.I. to do some spying on a cheating wife. Soon, Ben finds himself a neophyte private eye as the case turns to murder.
Published February 24th 1994 by Viking Books

To ask other readers questions about Hardscape, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hardscape

Darrell Delamaide
A small-town real estate agent might not be the obvious choice of hero for a mystery thriller, but Justin Scott makes it work. He endows Ben Abbott with a backstory as a financial wheeler-dealer who runs afoul of securities laws and spends prison time as a convicted felon. Then he returns home to northwest Connecticut to make a new life taking over his father's real estate business.

Abbott's past complicates his life. He feels like a liability to his sometime girlfriend, the politically ambitious
Judith
Justin Long introduces his rascally hero, real estate entrepreneur Ben Abbott in this tightly wound if somewhat convoluted thriller.
Abbott is hired by a wealthy businessman to photograph his wife and her handsome lover. Abbott needs the money so he reluctantly agrees, but when he sees how happy the wife and her lover are, he changes his mind. Next day, however, lover boy is found murdered on the rich lady's vast estate and Ben's cousin is also found murdered in a downed airplane rife with cocain
Stephen
Boy, am I late to the party? I've read, already, other J. Scott books - but had overlooked this.

I think what I like the most about "Hardscape" is the glimpse into Connecticut itself - the people, the history, the natural and man-made environments. It's not a puzzler, not in the sense of Agatha Christie. It's a slice of real time - I think well-thought out by Scott - which maybe is the best expression of the book.

I see/hear all the characters. Their personal stories, floated by the mystery, stic
Mark
I read the 2nd one earlier and liked it, so now I'm at the beginning of the series...former Nav al Intellgence Cervice operative, former jailbird, former Wall-streeter and now home town realter investigates the murder of a young stud on a perspective's listing...a vast array of interesting NE characters as well as enough interesting plot twist to keep turning pages...decent read
LJ
HARDSCAPE - VG+
Scott, Justin - 1st in series

Benjamin Abbott was a Wall Street trader whose activities got him sent to prison. Going back to his small Connecticut hometown, Ben turns to his family's real estate business. Then a New York City private detective hires him to train a camcorder on a bedroom in the "castle" next door.

The beginning of a very good, enjoyable series
Joe
Jan 07, 2008 Joe rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Newtown expats
The Liquor Locker, The Yankee Drover, the motorcyle guy running the video store by the old train depot - all of these are familiar images to people who grew up in Newtown, CT. I'm out of that town almost two decades now, but I love reconnecting with old friends through the Ben Abbott series.
Robbie
This wasn't bad - a fairly good amount of action and a likeable main character.
Griff
Enjoyable. Reader's digest condensed. Read in Winter Park
Criss
Destul de lipsit de intriga!
Pam
Nov 15, 2007 Pam marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
11/15/07 bought at UBS
Katherine Newman
Katherine Newman marked it as to-read
May 26, 2015
Robert Beveridge
Robert Beveridge marked it as to-read
May 11, 2015
Familyreader
Familyreader marked it as to-read
May 07, 2015
ChrisGA
ChrisGA marked it as to-read
Mar 24, 2015
Kathy
Kathy added it
Mar 07, 2015
Dogsmom Laura
Dogsmom Laura marked it as to-read
Feb 25, 2015
Grace
Grace marked it as to-read
Jan 31, 2015
PJ
PJ marked it as to-read
Oct 30, 2014
Chel Rhineberger
Chel Rhineberger marked it as to-read
Sep 22, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

Ben Abbott Mysteries (5 books)
  • Stonedust (Ben Abbott Mysteries, #2)
  • FrostLine (A Ben Abbott Mystery)
  • McMansion (A Ben Abbott Mystery)
  • Mausoleum (A Ben Abbott Mystery)
The Shipkiller Mausoleum (A Ben Abbott Mystery) Stonedust (Ben Abbott Mysteries, #2) Rampage A Pride Of Royals