Son

Son

3.95 of 5 stars 3.95  ·  rating details  ·  1,078 ratings  ·  28 reviews
Recounts the tragic events that followed the arrest of Fred Coe, a conservative, clean-cut young man, for a series of rapes committed in the city of Spokane and led to revenge and murder..Title: .Son..Author: .Olsen, Jack..Publisher: .Random House..Publication Date: .1997/01/01..Number of Pages: ...Binding Type: .PAPERBACK..Library of Congress: .BL 99949889
Published April 1st 1985 by Dell Publishing Company (first published 1983)

To ask other readers questions about Son, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Son

In Cold Blood by Truman CapoteHelter Skelter by Vincent BugliosiThe Stranger Beside Me by Ann RuleThe Devil in the White City by Erik LarsonColumbine by Dave Cullen
Best True Crime
69th out of 411 books — 688 voters
In Cold Blood by Truman CapoteMidnight in the Garden of Good and Evil by John BerendtAssuming Names by Tanya ThompsonHelter Skelter by Vincent BugliosiThe Devil in the White City by Erik Larson
True Crime--Well Written
44th out of 163 books — 128 voters

More lists with this book...

Violet
Sep 24, 2008 Violet rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: prophets
Recommended to Violet by: the library
No matter what problems you have with your mother-in-law, she is going to seem like Julie Andrews by the time you're through reading about the bejeweled harpy who rules this true-crime wonder. The "son" of the title is her slick, creepy offspring, Kevin "Fred" Coe, who's not only a real estate agent, he's a serial rapist! The best parts of this book are the inane nicknames Coe and his mother have for one another and the details about the book Coe himself wrote, supposedly a satirical comedy, abo...more
Michelle Bouchor
I was living in Spokane when this happened. I remember women getting escorted to their car from the grocery store, in broad daylight. The thing that really creeped me out when I was young is that they had red stamps throughout the city that said, "A woman was raped here."
Mary Ronan Drew
In 1980 there were 127 rapes in the city of Spokane. In 1978 there had been 49. Most of these crimes were being committed in the neighborhood where I now live and they bore certain similarities. The rapist was reported by many victims to have jammed his hand, covered with an oven mitt, into their mouth so that they couldn’t scream. Most of them were attacked while out running or after getting off a bus. Spokane was the victim of The South Hill Rapist.

In 1981 Spokane police arrested Kevin Coe, fr...more
Della Scott
No need to recommend--I read it and it's one of my all-time favorite true-crime books. Though Kevin Coe never killed anybody(though since his attacks were escalating in violence, I I think that he might have if he had not been caught), he seemed similar to Ted Bundy to me in some ways. Both operated in Washington state, both were charming, smart, good looking and talented,and could have had great futures going straight, and both were almost certainly classic sociopaths. Coe had more advantages i...more
Nancy
It was well written and while it is based on fact, it is not dry or boring. I grew up near Spokane and was in college there while the South Hill Rapist was at large. It was interesting to get the background story on him and the weird upbringing by his looney tune mother. I have often told people about this case and the yellow cellophane he used to make his license plates look like vanity plates. One strange story and it makes this book a real page-turner!
Kristin Lee Williams
I didn't live in Spokane when the South Hill Rapist was ravaging the city (never mind that I was 3 or 4 years old). So, because of this I've felt a little lost during the current news coverage of Kevin Coe and his upcoming civil commitment trial. Honestly, before reading this book I felt like the civil commitment trial seemed unfair...I mean, the man served his debt. If the prosecutor couldn't get a longer sentence originally it doesn't seem quite right to keep him imprisioned. After reading the...more
Margo Johnson
I read this several years ago. This book chronicles the life and crimes of Fred Coe. He committed many, many rapes in the Spokane, Wash. area. The one thing that I remember most about this book was the description of the dysfunctional relationship between this man and his rather mentally unstable mother. I don`t remember this being a paticularly great book but it was an okay read about a very unpleasant subject.
Juliewaller
Interesting..hard to believe there are really people out there like this.
Joni
This is an excellent true crime book and the author is a very good writer.The subject of the story is a despicable human being and victimized an entire city. I believe Mr Olsen conveyed the fearful atmosphere that permeated the community and the kind of psychopathic personality who enjoys creating chaos. Well done.
Barbara
A book about the Kevin Coe case, I read it because I'm not sure how I feel about his impending release/further incarceration. Is it ok to keep people in jail for what they might do? This book did not help me answer that question but did help me understand the case itself.
Wendy
I learned from this book that Kevin Coe is one sick puppy :)
I thought it was a little graphic in parts and dragged somewhat but it was generally a pretty good book if you like the True Crime genre. It was the first Jack Olsen I've read and I will look for others.
Laura Lea
Nov 12, 2008 Laura Lea rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: people from Spokane, true crime readers
having grown up near Spokane, I recently read this book just before Coe's civil commitment trial.

Anyone familiar with the South Hill neighborhood of Spokane will be able to put visuals with this book and make it all the more real.
barb
I am from Spokane as well and found the story "extra" interesting since I was familiar with some of the personalities in the book.... many I knew personally. Just as interesting for those who aren't familiar with the story first-hand.
Rita
Great book, but I love True Crime stories..at the same time ..I am now suspicious of any guy when I park my car at a nature area and they watch the car. Heh.... Time to move onto a new topic so I'm not so paranoid :)
Vicki Sincoff
Interesting true story of a serial rapist (at least, he hasn't killed anyone just yet, but I'm only half way thru)from Spokane and his creepy relationship with his overbearing mother. Love me some sociopaths!!
Jason Scott
Started out as an interesting study in how police work has changed since the early 1980s. I got a little bored as it progressed to the trial. Still for a 25 cent thrift store buy, I am glad I got it.
Lenny
Jack Olsen did a very good job in portraying and giving eloquent descriptions of all the characters in this saga. He wrote it in such a way as to keep you interested at all times.
Victoria Cowden-moyneur
Son was very well written, and a well documented case where Fred (Kevin) Coe is the South Hill Rapist. Easy to follow and I would definitly recomment it!
Linda
True story of rapist Fred Coe and his mother, who hired a hit man to kill the judge and prosecutor who sent her son to prison in Spokane.
Owen
Hometown celebrity- we went to the same high school! Creepy reading about the stuff that's gone on in your neighborhood.
April Richardson
Holy cow, I am obsessed with Kevin Coe. I have even taken people on a driving tour of Kevin Coe sites. I am one sick girl.
Andrea
This book introduced me to the concept of psychopathy, which is what I've decided to dedicate myself to researching.
*•.♥.•*Sabrina Rutter*•.♥.•*
I personally thought this was a bit graphic, but it's very scary.
Toesnorth's mom
Dec 08, 2012 Toesnorth's mom added it
Shelves: mom-s
true story, horrible story, dreadful people and stupid Spokane police
Ellis
This is just an AWESOME book! 538 pages of good writing..
Tova Ross
Thorough, as usual, and chilling.
Cheryl Schibley
Good book. Unbelievable - almost.
Louise
True story...not bad.
Sarah marked it as to-read
Aug 27, 2014
Katrina Glassmyer
Katrina Glassmyer marked it as to-read
Aug 27, 2014
  • Before He Wakes: A True Story of Money, Marriage, Sex and Murder
  • Cruel Deception
  • Murder in Little Egypt
  • From Cradle to Grave: The Short Lives and Strange Deaths of Marybeth Tinning's Nine Children
  • A Death in White Bear Lake: The True Chronicle of an All-American Town
  • She Wanted It All
  • Blind Faith
  • In Broad Daylight
  • House Of Secrets
  • Perfect Victim: The True Story of "The Girl in the Box"
  • The End of the Dream: The Golden Boy Who Never Grew Up (Crime Files, #5)
  • A Beautiful Child
  • Because You Loved Me
I: The Creation of a Serial Killer Doc: The Rape of the Town of Lovell Night of the Grizzlies The Misbegotten Son The Man With The Candy: The Story of The Houston Mass Murders