Start by marking “Love Story” as Want to Read:
Love Story

Love Story (Love Story #1)

3.6  ·  Rating Details ·  44,441 Ratings  ·  2,224 Reviews
Librarian's note: An alternate cover exists for this ISBN

The Phenomenal National Bestseller and Enduring Classic He is Oliver Barett IV, a rich jock from a stuffy WASP family on his way to a Harvard degree and a career in law.

She is Jenny Cavilleri, a wisecracking working-class beauty studying music at Radcliffe.

Opposites in nearly every way, Oliver and Jenny immediately
Published January 1st 2006 by Hodder and Stoughton (first published February 14th 1970)

To ask other readers questions about Love Story, please sign up.

Priyesh Beohar This book available on preloved books site... 20% more discount

going on http://bit.do/plbooks

Nataliya
May 02, 2010 Nataliya rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: To hopeless romantics that we all are deep down inside

"Love means never having to say you're sorry" is probably among some of the most ridiculous statements ever.
.......

Luckily it's a rare blemish on a simple but beautiful story. Plus it's cheesy, corny, and insanely quotable, so I'll have to give it a pass on that.

A girl and a boy meet and fall in love. Jenny is a poor artistic sorta-Catholic Radcliffe-educated Italian-American brainiac with a razor-sharp tongue. Oliver is a rich WASPy Harvard "Preppy" jock with a slew of Daddy issues and a R
Greg
Sep 20, 2008 Greg rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I read Love Story because I didn't want to see the movie, but I wanted to know what everyone was talking about. While it was an affecting and sentimental little story, even at that young age I felt that it was trying too hard to tug on my heartstrings. It seemed, somehow, too juvenile, even to my then very juvenile mind. In later years, I came to realize that the movie's oft quoted line, "Love means never having to say you're sorry" is a complete falsehood. In fact, love means always being willi ...more
TK421
Jan 05, 2012 TK421 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: family-epic
I appreciate a good love story. No, don’t give me THE BRIDGES OF MADISON COUNTY—that book was crap. Give me a story where the characters are more aligned with Holden Caulfield or Pookie from Nichol’s THE STERILE CUCKOO. I want smart-assy and witty banter. I want characters that play by their own rules or make them up as they go along. I want the possibility of real life. Enter Erich Segal and LOVE STORY. Published in 1970, this short—133 page—novel is relatively obscure today. That’s a shame. Se ...more
Nikita
Feb 23, 2011 Nikita rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned, novel
I laughed. I cried (and believe me. i cried a lot!). I fell in love. I learned. I simply love the book. It was indeed beautifully written and it reached out into the depths of my soul. My heart just poured out as I read the last few pages of the book. Such a tiny book to stir such great emotions in me.

beautiful.
Nan
Aug 24, 2010 Nan rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: chick-lit
Shallow, contrived pseudo-tearjerker. I read this many years ago when it came out, and even though I was much younger and not as wise and mature as I am now, I realized how meaningless was the by-word of the book, "Love means not having to say you're sorry." Love actually means being constantly ready to ask for, give, and receive forgiveness.
Geo Marcovici
Mar 12, 2017 Geo Marcovici rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Sad But beautiful!
Jenny
Aug 18, 2015 Jenny rated it really liked it
It's a very simple story.A boy meets a girl,they fall in love,but instead of happily ever after, there's a sad ending. But it was the emotions in the book which made it worth reading.

The story is beautiful, funny,emotional,and a bit sad.

As much as I loved the story,it was very simple,and I am giving it 4 stars only because it was very touching,and also because this book was capable of making me read it when it has already told the ending on the very first page. It was a great short read!
Mia
Sep 25, 2012 Mia rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I thought Erich Segal's "Love Story" would be great. I really did, considering all the hype that has lasted for decades. But...

There was no chemistry at all between Oliver and Jenny--The Couple. The only thing they have in common is they like to swear a lot--which got too old too soon in the book. I mean, Oliver had way more chemistry with Phil, his wife's dad, than with his own wife.

Neither characters were likable or relatable. We don't get to know them at all. All we know is that Oliver is a r
Gagan
Aug 15, 2007 Gagan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone
Lisa Vegan
Sep 21, 2007 Lisa Vegan rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: hopeless romantics?
Shelves: fiction, reviewed, novel
Read this in high school and even though love reading/loved reading stories about dying young, really didn't think much of this. Yes, I admit I was interested in Jenny & Oliver and their love story. But: when people have leukemia or whatever it was she was supposed to have had, they physically suffer a lot more. Thought the way her illness was described was so unrealistic and dishonest. And love does not mean never having to say you’re sorry; I always thought that iconic saying from the book ...more
Vani
Jul 20, 2016 Vani rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Oliver Barrett is the scion of the Barrett family and Jennifer a 'social zero'. Theirs is not an ordinary love story. This romance keeps the reader glued till the end, or rather an unpleasant end. The narrative is strong, effortless and edgy. No wonder it became a bestseller of its time and continues to spawn movie and TV adaptations. I can remember so many movies that have the same plot and yet, none has come close to evoking those same feelings as the book. I was literally moved to tears by th ...more
Danielle
Apr 23, 2008 Danielle rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: romantics
Shelves: romance-love
I found this book in our cabin up on Monhegan Island in Maine. I'm the biggest baby when it comes to romance. We were sitting there playing Scrabble (there's no tv) and listening to Delilah on the radio. I was already almost finished with this book, so I read it between my turns. I just started flat out bawling at the table in front of everyone as I finished. It's such a quick read, but man does this book pack an emotional punch. The characters really come to life. Although their basic descripti ...more
Mith
This was a fun, refreshingly charming, quick read. That is, until it reached in, ripped my heart out and crushed it into smush. I adored the book, I adored the characters and their flaws, I adored the relationship between Oliver and Jenny.

Highly recommended, please go read it if you haven't already. Now, if you'll excuse me, I need to go cry into a pillow.
Rossy
Feb 17, 2015 Rossy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I admit I cried at the end.
And I'm sorry but love DOES mean having to say you're sorry.
Bonnie
Aug 07, 2013 Bonnie rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Bonnie by: Beverly J.
My rating: 2 of 5 stars
Source: Library Checkout

*I plan to discuss parts of this book in detail so spoilers!*

Oliver Barett IV is a rich jock from a well-to-do family. Jenny Cavilleri is a poor, wise ass sorta chick. This is definitely a case of opposites attract with a touch of Romeo and Juliet syndrome; they were destined to fail from the beginning. But they meet; they fall in love, etc. etc. And as the summary so eloquently puts it: “…sharing a love that defies everything yet will end too soon.
orsodimondo
Jul 09, 2012 orsodimondo rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
CHE FINE HA FATTO LOVE STORY?
Erich Segal è morto da pochi giorni e mi sono ricordato che anch'io sono uno fra i tanti che ha letto questo libro.

Rimosso per vergogna?
Possibile.

Ma sicuramente, rimosso perché non è più presente fisicamente nella mia libreria: l'ho perso nel corso del tempo e non me ne sono mai accorto.
Secondo me vuol dire qualcosa, giustifica questa singola stella.

Se si aggiunge poi il fatto che dopo aver letto il libro non ho mai avuto voglia di vedere il film, la singola ste
Sandra Bašić
Dec 18, 2015 Sandra Bašić rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Koliko god puta pročitala ovu knjigu, doživljaj je uvijek isti. Toplina i ljubav, prožeti sjetom, uz najljepši citat: "Voljeti ne znači vječito ponavljati da ti je žao."
asdewi
Gegara dibahas di twitter baru nyadar klo gw belum nge-rate buku ini.

Ceritanya sih bagus, tapi bikin sakit hati dan ogaaahhhh buat baca ulang.
Sakit hatinya kebawa ampe sekarang. Ngeliat nama Oliver aja masih suka sedih. Liat bentuknya Harpard sedih lagi (norak deh :p). Dan liat nama yg ketulisnya "Erich" bikin sewot karena jadi ingat si Mr. Segal ini :))

Padahal bacanya udah belasan tahun lalu, nonton filmnya juga udah lama. Tapi sakit hatinya ninggal ampe sekarang.
Makanya salut deh sama orang ya
Fabian
Jun 09, 2017 Fabian rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
It may be that you need a "Super Sad True" in the title, for this is the only way the tale could be made relevant and contemporary in the year 2017. The jock-&-Italian-girl thing may of once been deemed, you know, sultry. As exotic for this WASPy crowd as anything else. (Right now, 20-yr olds getting married seems a bigger, more exotic, waaaay rarer occurrence.)

Snarky and sexy teens? ALWAYS in vogue. And tales of new-but-doomed love? Ditto.
Sumando Libros
Oct 16, 2011 Sumando Libros rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Veamos...

Ok, lo confieso: Soy una prejuiciosa...

Hace unos días unos amigos... conocedores de que ni los chocolates ni helados pueden conmigo mas que los libros... me regalaron un libro!!!... imaginarán, me brillaban los ojitos---> ... aún así y porque, que lo sepan; una Yess malvada habita dentro de mí, esta so bruja me decía: jooo que es que no pudieron comprarte un libro con un tiutlo menos rosa? un poquito mas gordo?? y algo mas actual???

Ladies and Gentlemen... que bruja ha sido mi Yess ma
Maida
Re-read April 11, 2015

I loved this novel when I was growing up. Now as an adult, I can detect some of its flaws. I wasn't around during the 60's (the time period in which this novel was set), but surely there had to have been some "code of medical ethics." (view spoiler)
~~Poulomi Sylphrena Tonk$~~
3.5 Harvard and Radcliffe stars!

Meet Oliver Barett IV, Harvard undergraduate and an aspirant in law studies. Rich as gold, total hockey jock.
Enter Jenny Cavilleri, studying music at Radcliffe. Sassy and exceedingly witty. And here’s how it all started:

“What the hell makes you so smart?” I asked.
“I wouldn’t go for coffee with you,” she answered.
“Listen- I wouldn’t ask you.”
“That,” she replied, “is what makes you stupid.”

The book exploits films and tiers of cheese and corn, and is in every bi
Marvin
May 03, 2013 Marvin rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: my worst enemy
Recommended to Marvin by: My first wife who also recommended Atlas Shrugged.
If 70's writers were teen celebrities, Erich Segal would have been Bobby Sherman or, to use a more contemporary analogy, Justin Beiber. But there is no analogy or scale on earth that would describe how bad this novel is. After reading Love Story in the 70s, I had to go to the bathroom to purge myself. A regular diet of this crap would cause literary bulimia. The movie didn't fare any better having caused me to endure a lifetime hatred of both Ali McGraw and Ryan O'Neal. You have been warned. If ...more
Neha
May 17, 2009 Neha rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: chicklit, romance
I am the kind of person who has never read 'MBs' . yes.. the. 'Mills & Boons' mania. Infact by the age I realised what they are and how essential they were in the growing years of a girl's life, I never even felt like reading them. So you can imagine how I feel about love stories, the candy floss romance, boy meets girl & they start dating & before they knwo they fall in love and then the problems start. So here I have summarised 99% of the love stories written - sometimes the only d ...more
Anastasia
Feb 26, 2011 Anastasia rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 0-2011
Ieri mi è tornato in mente questo libretto di Segal, e ho pensato.."ma perché non recensirlo?".

Okay, l'ho letto nel Febbraio del 2011. Sono un'adolescente, non mi dispiacciono le storie d'amore. Non sono un sasso, se il libro è scritto bene sono capace di commuovermi.

...ma questa è proprio una cavolata.

(view spoiler)
Carmine
Jul 20, 2015 Carmine rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Amore significa non dover dire mai "mi dispiace"

Ma nessuno ha mai riflettuto sul messaggio distorto che veicola la frase cult di questa indimenticabile opera?
In ogni caso, "Love story" è quel classico libro capace di far leva sul senso di empatia generazionale grazie ai soliti, triti e ritriti, luoghi comuni ereditati dalla celeberrima opera di Shakespeare.
Intrattenimento fine a sè stesso, ma comprendo le lacrime a fiumi versate negli anni '70.

Jean Pearl
Feb 24, 2011 Jean Pearl rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Romance and Tear-jerker freaks
Recommended to Jean Pearl by: Nikita Ompang
Okay. So expectedly I cried, especially in the end part where tragedy has to happen. Add to that my former knowledge of this as a tragic one and the flashing introductory warning of "What can you say about a twenty-five-year old girl who died?". It was inevitably tragic. But the conciseness, simplicity and realistic profoundness of every part of this book brought me more to be drawn to this. There's nothing more genuine and wonderful and truer than having to experience the love and having to fac ...more
Anshu
Jul 03, 2016 Anshu rated it did not like it
Shelves: romance, chick-lit
A boy and a girl meet. They fall in love. The girl dies. And we have one of the best romances of all time. SERIOUSLY?! I may as well give it no stars as far as the plot is concerned.
I started it today, I finished it today and I can't decide whether it's a good thing or otherwise. Writing a short novel is fine but why do i feel like I missed the part where I was supposed to feel the love seeping through the pages (?) There's no chemistry between the couple at all.
The characters are not really li
Ishan
Oct 24, 2012 Ishan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"What can you say about a twenty-five-year-old girl who died? That she was beautiful and brilliant. That she loved Mozart and Bach. The Beatles. And me.

Segal starts off by letting us know the end, but still when the end came, it stirred me deeply.
The narration is fresh and sets apart from the other stereotypical love stories.
Although i found the line on the cover page "Love means never having to say you are sorry" ,kind of a cliché. But apart from that i enjoyed every bit of it and it was worth
Plch
May 15, 2009 Plch rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
  • The Fall of the Athenian Empire
  • Moliere: A Biography
  • The Mojo Collection: The Ultimate Music Companion
  • A Monetary History of the United States 1867-1960
  • George W. Bushisms: The Slate Book of Accidental Wit and Wisdom of Our 43rd President
  • My Life As Author And Editor
  • Goldilocks & Three Bears: Bears Should Share!
  • Gidget (Gidget series, #1)
  • Novels, 1930-1942: Dance Night / Come Back to Sorrento / Turn, Magic Wheel / Angels on Toast / A Time to Be Born
  • Lisa And David
  • My Life in Orange
  • My Lai 4: A Report on the Massacre and Its Aftermath
  • Swimming with Giants: My Encounters with Whales, Dolphins and Seals
  • Pushkin: A Biography
Erich Wolf Segal was an American author, screenwriter, and educator. He was best-known for writing the novel Love Story, a bestseller, and writing the motion picture of the same name, which was a major hit.
More about Erich Segal...

Love Story (2 books)
  • Oliver's Story (Love Story, #2)

“Love means never having to say you're sorry.” 432 likes
“What the hell makes you so smart?" I asked. "I wouldn't go for coffee with you, " she answered. "Listen -- I wouldn't ask you." "That, "she replied "is what makes you stupid.” 231 likes