Start by marking “Separate Flights” as Want to Read:
Separate Flights

Separate Flights

4.34 of 5 stars 4.34  ·  rating details  ·  145 ratings  ·  12 reviews
On its publication, SEPARATE FLIGHTS won the Boston Globe's Lawrence L. Winship Award as the outstanding book of New England origin. This Dubus sampler includes a novella and seven short stories. Themes range from violence and confrontation to tenderness and affection. To quote from the Los Angeles Times, "Dubus has been compared with Chekov...this collection restores fait ...more
Published September 1st 1984 by David R Godine (first published September 1975)

To ask other readers questions about Separate Flights, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Separate Flights

May 09, 2013 Brian rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommended to Brian by: Moira, Kris
More excellent stories by my ongoing serious author crush.

The collection kicks-off with "We don't live here anymore", the superb novella anthologized in the same titled collection I read last month.

"If they knew Yvonne" is a rich coming-of-age story told from the perspective of a young man dealing with sexuality in the shadow of the Catholic church.

The other stories are also great - and I'm soooo happy "Separate Flights" was the last of the bunch, because dear God and baby Jesus it is such a p
My, my but we have some folks with some serious relationship issues. Some repetitive themes in these stories include: (1) masturbation - the author seems undecided if the teachings of the Catholic church are right or wrong about the sinful, destructive powers of "self mutilation"; (2) the Catholic church - definitely influenced Dubus - and it's clear the verdict's still out on the proper adjective to use when describing it; (3) drinking - the way to numb up a couple before the amputation of a sp ...more
David R. Godine
"Dubus is good — so good in fact that if this is your introduction to his work, you're apt to wonder where he's been hiding."
Washington Post Book World

"I have to believe that the appearance of these stories in book form is an event . . . you will certainly want to keep it and read it again."
Chicago Tribune Book Review

"Most Underrated Writer — Dubus is the sort of writer who instructs the heart, and he ought to be discovered by any number of readers."
The Atlantic Monthly

"Dubus has been comp
Some great stories, but you can tell he's still reworking his on style of nostalgic domestic romance, so a few of the later stories here seem like cheesier first renderings of the work he did in later books.

Still, well worth the read. There's a 'New yorker' story in here that just oozes that magazine's style. You'll probably be able to tell which one just by reading it.
E. Clark
I became obsessed with Dubus after picking up "Selected Stories" at the airport in San Francisco on the way to my honeymoon in Hawaii in April 2001. But I've never read any of his other collections until this year (though I did read one of his volumes of nonfiction in 2010).

The best stories in "Separate Flights" for me were the stories I'd already read in "Selected Stories," but I also enjoyed "We Don't Live Here Anymore" and the title story.

A good book overall, though I'd recommend "Selected
D Warner
Dec 17, 2008 D Warner marked it as to-read
Shelves: abandoned
The novella, "We Don't Live Here Anymore" is strikingly similar to "The Age of Grief" by Jane Smiley. Right now, half way through the latter, I have to say that I prefer Dubus' take on the crumbling marriage--he treats the subject with a greater level of complexity, there are more moving parts.
Are these stories well-written? I guess so. They are certainly a product of their time. But this is a dick book. It oozes testosterone as sauce coats spaghetti. The implied author of these stories doesn't think much of women, either, which is too bad, considering how much he is obsessed with them. Sigh. -cg
This book is really good. I'm not usually a fan of short stories, but his writing makes up for that enormously. The stories are deeply moving.
Wow.... these short stories & novella are heartbreaking. Fierce. Quiet. Disturbing.
Fletcher Martin
The first and the last stories are the worth reading. The rest is kind a meh.
Great collection of stories and a novella.
a real downer.
Christa marked it as to-read
Sep 28, 2015
Coco Zhang
Coco Zhang marked it as to-read
Jun 14, 2015
Oscar marked it as to-read
Mar 20, 2015
Ro added it
Mar 08, 2015
David marked it as to-read
Jan 21, 2015
joseph f spero
joseph f spero is currently reading it
Jan 19, 2015
Kalo marked it as to-read
Jan 14, 2015
  • Science in the Kitchen and the Art of Eating Well
  • Fernando Pessoa and Co.: Selected Poems
  • Kicking In the Wall: A Year of Writing Exercises, Prompts, and Quotes to Help You Break Through Your Blocks and Reach Your Writing Goals
  • The Ancestral Table: Traditional Recipes for a Paleo Lifestyle
  • The Supper of the Lamb: A Culinary Reflection
  • Big World
  • Women With Men
  • The Barnum Museum
  • Collected Short Stories: Volume 4 (Collected Short Stories of W. Somerset Maugham, #4)
  • Two Marriages
  • At the Full and Change of the Moon
  • Great Short Stories Of The World
Award-winning author Andre Dubus II (1936–1999) has been hailed as one of the best American short story writers of the twentieth century. Dubus’s collections of short fiction include Separate Flights (1975), Adultery & Other Choices (1977), and Dancing After Hours (1996), which was a National Book Critics Circle Award finalist. Another collection, Finding a Girl in America, features the story ...more
More about Andre Dubus...
Selected Stories Dancing After Hours In the Bedroom: Seven Stories We Don't Live Here Anymore Meditations from a Movable Chair