Start by marking “Kew Gardens” as Want to Read:
Kew Gardens

Kew Gardens

3.49  ·  Rating Details  ·  327 Ratings  ·  21 Reviews
In 1927, at The Hogarth Press, Virginia Woolf produced and published a limited edition of what was to become one of her best-loved stories. The book's jacket design and page illustrations were by her sister, artist Vanessa Bell.

More than sixty years later, The Hogarth Press at Chatto & Windus has published a lovely facsimile of that prized edition of 'Kew Gardens'.

Th
Published 1978 by Norwood Editions (first published 1919)

To ask other readers questions about Kew Gardens, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Kew Gardens

Sidharth Vardhan
4 stars! For a description of random people strolling in a stupid garden and their thoughts!

Well, Woolf is that good.
Jonathan
Jan 25, 2016 Jonathan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: bloomsbury
A really enjoyable short story, not so much for the plot but more for the gloriously atmospheric descriptive passages of the hot July afternoon spent by the characters in Kew Gardens. The illustrations by Livi Mills perfectly compliment this new edition (although I am kicking myself for not buying the Vanessa Bell illustrated reprint that came out about 17 years ago!).
Alicia
Dec 07, 2012 Alicia rated it it was amazing
Shelves: lectures-for-uni
It's incredible how such a short story can make you realise about daily-life stuff. Especially loved the way she described nature. "Yellow and black, pink and snow white, shapes of all these colours, men, women, and children were spotted for a second upon the horizon, and then, seeing the breadth of yellow that lay upon the grass, they wavered and sought shade beneath the trees, dissolving like drops of water in the yellow and green atmosphere, staining it faintly with red and blue."
Hannah
Jun 07, 2014 Hannah rated it really liked it
This is a perfect moment of the sublime, a freeze-frame of just a few minutes of the pristine setting of Kew Gardens, London. It is simply incredible of Woolf to contain so much, so much emotion, beautiful imagery and brilliantly developed characters in so few pages. It’s one of those books that you can envisage in the back of your eyelids when you close your eyes mid-way through reading, feeling as if the vivid blue and reds of the flowers are making their beautiful impressions on your mind.

Th
Carolina Sofia
Nov 29, 2015 Carolina Sofia rated it liked it
When you have to read the same book over and over again, work 24/7 on it to do an analisys essay, for a uni subject you don't really enjoy, your consideration and patience for that book starts to shimmer down... yeah.. that. It was good nontheless, and the first perfect read if you want to enter the unique world that is Virginia Woolf.
Rosa Berbel
Aug 11, 2015 Rosa Berbel rated it liked it
Such a lovely story!
Aileen Bernadette Urquhart
Elegant descriptions and lovely little cameos of the strollers.
Loni
Mar 11, 2013 Loni rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Kew Gardens was originally published with illustrations by Vanessa Bell, Virginia Woolf's sister. I'd love to read that edition (or a reproduction, something that doesn't cost a hundred dollars). I imagine it would add another layer to this interesting slice-of-life story. Kew Gardens is very fluid, but I suppose that is just part of the Stream of Consciousness style. I think you have to be in the mood to read Stream of Consciousness/Virginia Woolf. She is not a writer you can casually pick up, ...more
Sofie Brånedal
Sep 20, 2015 Sofie Brånedal rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
I like the nature descriptions, very detailed and beautiful. Specially when she described the landscape in front of the snail in a big scale. She fooled me it was a real tree. Through my human eyes it was just a leaf, though not in the eyes of the snail. For such a beautiful and short story it's actually pretty bold in it's topics. I didn't know that the new age movement were a thing back then already, and also arousal for those newly in love. I wanna read more from Virginia Wolf now!
Anirban Nanda
A really well written short story to make your day. This story will teach you how ordinary things can be expressed in an extra-ordinary way.
Dernica
Apr 29, 2015 Dernica rated it liked it
3.5 stars. Reading this made me feel like I was one of the characters on that hot summers day. Sluggish.
Rochelle
Mar 02, 2016 Rochelle added it
Shelves: short-stories
It makes no sense until you look deeper into it.
Beautiful writing.
Cora Lewis
Feb 07, 2014 Cora Lewis rated it did not like it
So dull.
Danielle
Dec 06, 2008 Danielle rated it it was amazing
The Buffalo library has a copy of Kew Gardens, a limited edition book of which there are only 500 copies in existence. It is a short tale set out almost in a children's storybook style, and is illustrated with hand drawn pictures by Virginia's sister. It is a wonderful, concise distillation of Virginia's style.
Macy
Feb 01, 2016 Macy rated it really liked it
Shelves: for-school
This story focuses on one snail as it observes different couples on a causal day in a Garden. You are literally viewing the world through the perspective of a snail. Like who does that??? Woolf does. That's who. And she's the Queen of this stuff.

read more at: http://earthtomacy.blogspot.com/
Gergana
Mar 03, 2015 Gergana rated it it was ok
She writes beautifully. She writes about life and its ordinary perplexity. I guess I'm just used to a little more dynamics.

"..these short insignificant words also expressed something, words with short wings for their heavy body of meaning.."
Charlotte Hamilton
[[2.5 stars]]

I had to read this for college and omg. I hardly took a damn thing it. it was so boring and urgh. sure there may be things hidden and layered but urgh, WHY WOULD ANYONE WANT TO READ THIS?!?!
Bettie☯
Joanna
Only read it because it is so short!

And I don't remember any of it!
Marts  (Thinker)
Aug 31, 2013 Marts (Thinker) rated it really liked it
Shelves: classics, 2013-reads
Woolf expounds on the state of affairs on a July day at Kew Gardens...
iLearn
iLearn marked it as to-read
May 01, 2016
Adrienne Paynter
Adrienne Paynter marked it as to-read
Jessie Ebeling
Jessie Ebeling marked it as to-read
Emma LB
Emma LB rated it really liked it
Mujeeba
Mujeeba marked it as to-read
Apr 28, 2016
Fatima Abdullah
Fatima Abdullah rated it it was ok
Apr 28, 2016
Bergen Foshay
Bergen Foshay is currently reading it
Apr 25, 2016
Eva Kirk
Eva Kirk marked it as to-read
Apr 24, 2016
  • The Prussian Officer
  • Watchbird
  • The Blue Hotel
  • The Shot
  • Babylon Revisited (Penguin Mini Modern Classics)
  • Mateo Falcone
  • Christian Science
  • The Luck of Roaring Camp
  • Barn Burning
  • Khirbet Khizeh
  • The Sniper
  • The Norton Anthology of Short Fiction
(Adeline) Virginia Woolf was an English novelist and essayist regarded as one of the foremost modernist literary figures of the twentieth century.

During the interwar period, Woolf was a significant figure in London literary society and a member of the Bloomsbury Group. Her most famous works include the novels Mrs Dalloway (1925), To the Lighthouse (1927), and Orlando (1928), and the book-length es
More about Virginia Woolf...