Start by marking “Kew Gardens” as Want to Read:
Kew Gardens

Kew Gardens

3.53 of 5 stars 3.53  ·  rating details  ·  260 ratings  ·  15 reviews
In 1927, at The Hogarth Press, Virginia Woolf produced and published a limited edition of what was to become one of her best-loved stories. The book's jacket design and page illustrations were by her sister, artist Vanessa Bell.

More than sixty years later, The Hogarth Press at Chatto & Windus has published a lovely facsimile of that prized edition of 'Kew Gardens'.

Published 1978 by Norwood Editions (first published 1919)

To ask other readers questions about Kew Gardens, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Kew Gardens

It's incredible how such a short story can make you realise about daily-life stuff. Especially loved the way she described nature. "Yellow and black, pink and snow white, shapes of all these colours, men, women, and children were spotted for a second upon the horizon, and then, seeing the breadth of yellow that lay upon the grass, they wavered and sought shade beneath the trees, dissolving like drops of water in the yellow and green atmosphere, staining it faintly with red and blue."
This is a perfect moment of the sublime, a freeze-frame of just a few minutes of the pristine setting of Kew Gardens, London. It is simply incredible of Woolf to contain so much, so much emotion, beautiful imagery and brilliantly developed characters in so few pages. It’s one of those books that you can envisage in the back of your eyelids when you close your eyes mid-way through reading, feeling as if the vivid blue and reds of the flowers are making their beautiful impressions on your mind.

Rosa Berbel
Such a lovely story!
Aileen Bernadette Urquhart
Elegant descriptions and lovely little cameos of the strollers.
Kew Gardens was originally published with illustrations by Vanessa Bell, Virginia Woolf's sister. I'd love to read that edition (or a reproduction, something that doesn't cost a hundred dollars). I imagine it would add another layer to this interesting slice-of-life story. Kew Gardens is very fluid, but I suppose that is just part of the Stream of Consciousness style. I think you have to be in the mood to read Stream of Consciousness/Virginia Woolf. She is not a writer you can casually pick up, ...more
Sofie Brånedal
I like the nature descriptions, very detailed and beautiful. Specially when she described the landscape in front of the snail in a big scale. She fooled me it was a real tree. Through my human eyes it was just a leaf, though not in the eyes of the snail. For such a beautiful and short story it's actually pretty bold in it's topics. I didn't know that the new age movement were a thing back then already, and also arousal for those newly in love. I wanna read more from Virginia Wolf now!
Anirban Nanda
A really well written short story to make your day. This story will teach you how ordinary things can be expressed in an extra-ordinary way.
Dernica Edgar
3.5 stars. Reading this made me feel like I was one of the characters on that hot summers day. Sluggish.
Charlotte Hamilton
[[2.5 stars]]

I had to read this for college and omg. I hardly took a damn thing it. it was so boring and urgh. sure there may be things hidden and layered but urgh, WHY WOULD ANYONE WANT TO READ THIS?!?!
The Buffalo library has a copy of Kew Gardens, a limited edition book of which there are only 500 copies in existence. It is a short tale set out almost in a children's storybook style, and is illustrated with hand drawn pictures by Virginia's sister. It is a wonderful, concise distillation of Virginia's style.
She writes beautifully. She writes about life and its ordinary perplexity. I guess I'm just used to a little more dynamics.

"..these short insignificant words also expressed something, words with short wings for their heavy body of meaning.."
Only read it because it is so short!

And I don't remember any of it!
Marts  (Thinker)
Woolf expounds on the state of affairs on a July day at Kew Gardens...
Zoe marked it as to-read
Sep 30, 2015
harrie is currently reading it
Sep 28, 2015
Cinnie added it
Sep 28, 2015
Deniz marked it as to-read
Sep 07, 2015
Abigail marked it as to-read
Aug 30, 2015
  • Only in London
  • In a German Pension: 13 Stories
  • The Celestial Omnibus and other Stories
  • A&P: Lust in the Aisles
(Adeline) Virginia Woolf was an English novelist and essayist regarded as one of the foremost modernist literary figures of the twentieth century.

During the interwar period, Woolf was a significant figure in London literary society and a member of the Bloomsbury Group. Her most famous works include the novels Mrs Dalloway (1925), To the Lighthouse (1927), and Orlando (1928), and the book-length es
More about Virginia Woolf...
Mrs. Dalloway To the Lighthouse A Room of One's Own Orlando The Waves