Start by marking “Most Scenic Drives in America” as Want to Read:
Most Scenic Drives in America

Most Scenic Drives in America

4.03 of 5 stars 4.03  ·  rating details  ·  188 ratings  ·  11 reviews
Updated for the first time since 1997, and thoroughly revised, this beautifully illustrated, fact-filled guide has everything readers need to begin their adventure of discovering America in their car, van, or RV. 400 photos (200+ new). 120 maps.
Published March 3rd 2005 by Reader's Digest Association (first published 1997)

To ask other readers questions about Most Scenic Drives in America, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Most Scenic Drives in America

Steven Peterson
What a delightful book! The purpose is laid up right at the outset (Page 5): "One of America's most popular pastimes is, quite simply, going for long, leisurely drives in the country--and that's what this book is all about." Through this volume, we see 120 separate trips, each described in enough detail (normally 2-4 pages with a map) to decide if that tour might make sense to you.

Let's look at a few examples. One from my own experience--many years ago--is California's Big Sur Coast (pages 74-77
David Roberts
I bought this as a retirement gift for a co-worker who had just bought a 5th wheel with the intent of traversing the country. It looked like a great book for someone like me whose idea of the perfect vacation is a long road trip down beautiful roads, so I bought it in the kindle version (more on that later).

The book contains 120 very interesting drives, starting in the northwestern-most point of the US (Alaska) and working its way to to the southeastern-most point (Key West.) I had already taken
The book is split into four sections: the western US, the rocky mountain states, the central states, the eastern states. I focused mostly on the last two. While this book may inspire you, it won't be your final planning guide by a long shot. It's just simply too much information to shove into one book. The book is a hefty chunk, don't get me wrong, but it will probably just provide "oh! that's interesting" or "oh lets go there!" moments only.

I do think it was very thorough in listing most of th
Great for dreaming of trips, most of which would need to be supplemented with hiking (mentioned but not included). Of course the spectacular country out west will wow you, but lots of lesser-known spots (the Sunken Trace in Mississippi, the Loess Hills of western Iowa) make a travel slut like me want to set off immediately. This is more for inspiration than actual trip planning, so the few errors I found don't matter that much.
Beautiful coffee table size book. The routes are clearly mapped out & places to visit along the way are described. It's truly a great book. I really liked the layout & plentiful color pictures.
We travelled to California and had several of the drives in the book become 'destinations' for us. Good reading about various locations / sights / hints for vacations.
Fabulous suggestions for the RV traveller. I wish I had the time to travel all of them.
Oct 19, 2007 Jo rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: EVERYONE
Shelves: nonfiction, travel
I read a friends copy. Must by this one.
Take me to any of the locations.
Cheryl Schibley
Big picture book and scenic drives.
Of course I want to go on all of them!
Joe added it
Nov 16, 2015
Caroline Ann Martin
Caroline Ann Martin marked it as to-read
Oct 31, 2015
Paige marked it as to-read
Oct 27, 2015
Don Mcdonald
Don Mcdonald marked it as to-read
Sep 29, 2015
Connie added it
Sep 17, 2015
Mary marked it as to-read
Sep 10, 2015
Robin added it
Sep 06, 2015
  • Thuggin In Miami (The Family Is Made : Part 1)
  • Road Trip USA: Cross-Country Adventures on America's Two-Lane Highways
  • National Geographic Guide to the National Parks of the United States
  • Where To Go When (Eyewitness Travel Guides)
  • Great Britain
  • Make the Most of Your Time on Earth
  • The National Parks: America's Best Idea
  • Fodor's New York City 2012
  • The New York Public Library Desk Reference
  • River-Horse
  • Things I Like About America: Personal Narratives
  • A Field Guide to Western Birds: A Completely New Guide to Field Marks of All Species Found in North America West of the 100th Meridian and North of Mexico
  • 1001 Escapes to Experience Before You Die
  • Off the Tourist Trail: 1,000 Unexpected Travel Alternatives
  • Guinness World Records 2000: Millennium Edition
  • The Life and Times of Mexico
  • Wildlife in America
  • 1001 Natural Wonders: You Must See Before You Die
The Reader's Digest Association, Inc. is a global media and direct marketing company based in Chappaqua, New York, best known for its flagship publication founded in 1922, Reader's Digest. The company's headquarters are in New York City, where it moved from Pleasantville, New York.

The company was founded by DeWitt and Lila Wallace in 1922 with the first publication of Reader's Digest magazine, but
More about Reader's Digest Association...