Start by marking “Alien Influences” as Want to Read:
Alien Influences

Alien Influences

3.86 of 5 stars 3.86  ·  rating details  ·  80 ratings  ·  8 reviews
Bountiful is a sun-scorched, inhospitable planet, offering only one comfort to its small band of human colonists: the powerful intoxicant they create from native plants an export to other worlds. But an unspeakable disaster devastates the colony. Six of its children are found dead, their bodies marked in a bizarre parody of the puberty rites of the Dancers, Bountiful's eni ...more
Published November 3rd 1997 by Spectra (first published 1994)

To ask other readers questions about Alien Influences, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Alien Influences

Kind of a weird, depressing novel about abused children who become abused adults, oh and there's some aliens in there somewhere. Actually, for a book called "Alien Influences" I wish there'd have been more aliens. The Dancers are the main exospecies of the book but, after the first 20% or so of the book, they only get talked about (rather than actually appearing). There are allusions to many other species but this book hardly explores alien biology, society, etc, at all.

Other science fiction ele
I first go introduced to this story through Rusch's blog, where she posts a free short story every Monday. So I had already read snippets of this book through those stories. I'm pretty sure she stitched the rest of the book together around those stories. They take up much of the early parts of the book.

My favorite story, the one about the girl who is indentured to a hotel that caters to all sorts of aliens, was an enjoyable revisit. However, I feel like the start of the book was a little weak fo
Oct 01, 2014 Gregoire rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: sf
Alien Influences n’a pas été traduit hélas pour ceux qui ne pourront pas le lire en VO car c’est un des ouvrages dont la lecture me hante encore. J’ai pleuré, j’ai jeté le livre en me jurant que je ne le relirai jamais car il traite d’un sujet qui touche tous les parents du monde : l’enfance. L’enfance abandonnée en terre étrangère, l’innocence de l’enfance marquée puis détruite.

Quid de la SF ? L’histoire commence sur Bountiful planète inhospitalière, brûlée, désertique mais peuplée (et non ce n
David Hart
This wasn't my favorite K. K. Rusch book, definitely not up the the retrieval artist standard that I had been used to.
This science fiction novel is about the very close interaction between human children and an alien species on an alien planet. It is very well-written, with few editing errors. The author develops the story by shifting perspectives between several of the book's main characters. Loose ends are tied up at the end of the story, and no extraneous plot lines were gratuitously inserted. Descriptions are well balanced and dialogue is believable. Overall, an excellent read.
Leigh Kimmel
I have some major issues with the worldbuilding -- it seems that the government completely forgets everything that is currently known about child psychology, and particularly the role of magic thinking in children's logic, in their rush to judgment. It really left me with the impression of a second-order idiot plot, in which the story only works because the entire society behaves like idiots collectively.
This book has a lot of flaws. But I've re-read it a number of times because the IDEAS are really good. If you can overlook the mistakes in structure, the story is thoughtful, engaging, and a little uncomfortable to read -- in a good "avoid complacency and abandon assumption/privilege" way.
It's a strange book. Sometimes a little disturbing, sometimes sad. But overall, it's a nice story with an interesting ending.
Emma added it
Nov 16, 2015
Coby marked it as to-read
Oct 19, 2015
Michael Libby
Michael Libby marked it as to-read
Oct 07, 2015
Alex Anderson
Alex Anderson marked it as to-read
Aug 24, 2015
Beth marked it as to-read
May 31, 2015
Jeremy Frens
Jeremy Frens marked it as to-read
Apr 26, 2015
Daniel Stephens
Daniel Stephens marked it as to-read
Feb 23, 2015
Dan marked it as to-read
Feb 14, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Kristine Kathryn Rusch is an award-winning mystery, romance, science fiction, and fantasy writer. She has written many novels under various names, including Kristine Grayson for romance, and Kris Nelscott for mystery. Her novels have made the bestseller lists –even in London– and have been published in 14 countries and 13 different languages.

Her awards range from the Ellery Queen Readers Choice Aw
More about Kristine Kathryn Rusch...