Start by marking “Alien Influences” as Want to Read:
Alien Influences

Alien Influences

3.78  ·  Rating Details  ·  95 Ratings  ·  9 Reviews
Bountiful is a sun-scorched, inhospitable planet, offering only one comfort to its small band of human colonists: the powerful intoxicant they create from native plants an export to other worlds. But an unspeakable disaster devastates the colony. Six of its children are found dead, their bodies marked in a bizarre parody of the puberty rites of the Dancers, Bountiful's eni ...more
Published November 3rd 1997 by Spectra (first published 1994)

To ask other readers questions about Alien Influences, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Alien Influences

Tom
Kind of a weird, depressing novel about abused children who become abused adults, oh and there's some aliens in there somewhere. Actually, for a book called "Alien Influences" I wish there'd have been more aliens. The Dancers are the main exospecies of the book but, after the first 20% or so of the book, they only get talked about (rather than actually appearing). There are allusions to many other species but this book hardly explores alien biology, society, etc, at all.

Other science fiction ele
Lisa
Sep 25, 2015 Lisa rated it really liked it
I first go introduced to this story through Rusch's blog, where she posts a free short story every Monday. So I had already read snippets of this book through those stories. I'm pretty sure she stitched the rest of the book together around those stories. They take up much of the early parts of the book.

My favorite story, the one about the girl who is indentured to a hotel that caters to all sorts of aliens, was an enjoyable revisit. However, I feel like the start of the book was a little weak fo
Gregoire
Jan 18, 2016 Gregoire rated it it was amazing
Shelves: sf, aliens
Alien Influences n’a pas été traduit hélas pour ceux qui ne pourront pas le lire en VO car c’est un des ouvrages dont la lecture me hante encore. J’ai pleuré, j’ai jeté le livre en me jurant que je ne le relirai jamais car il traite d’un sujet qui touche tous les parents du monde : l’enfance. L’enfance abandonnée en terre étrangère, l’innocence de l’enfance marquée puis détruite.

Quid de la SF ? L’histoire commence sur Bountiful planète inhospitalière, brûlée, désertique mais peuplée (et non ce n
Anne
Jun 08, 2016 Anne rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ich habe das Buch auf Empfehlung gelesen und wurde vom Cover etwas hinters Licht geführt, weil es irgendwie mehr nach einem Kinderbuch aussah. In Wahrheit ist Fremde Einflüsse aber wirklich tiefgründige Science-Fiction, die mich zwar bewegt hat, aber trotzdem nicht so umhauen konnte wie z. B. die Bücher von Phillip K. Dick.
David Hart
Apr 27, 2014 David Hart rated it it was ok
This wasn't my favorite K. K. Rusch book, definitely not up the the retrieval artist standard that I had been used to.
Richard
Mar 04, 2012 Richard rated it it was amazing
This science fiction novel is about the very close interaction between human children and an alien species on an alien planet. It is very well-written, with few editing errors. The author develops the story by shifting perspectives between several of the book's main characters. Loose ends are tied up at the end of the story, and no extraneous plot lines were gratuitously inserted. Descriptions are well balanced and dialogue is believable. Overall, an excellent read.
Leigh Kimmel
Sep 22, 2010 Leigh Kimmel rated it it was ok
I have some major issues with the worldbuilding -- it seems that the government completely forgets everything that is currently known about child psychology, and particularly the role of magic thinking in children's logic, in their rush to judgment. It really left me with the impression of a second-order idiot plot, in which the story only works because the entire society behaves like idiots collectively.
Anika
Apr 11, 2011 Anika rated it really liked it
This book has a lot of flaws. But I've re-read it a number of times because the IDEAS are really good. If you can overlook the mistakes in structure, the story is thoughtful, engaging, and a little uncomfortable to read -- in a good "avoid complacency and abandon assumption/privilege" way.
Saleris
Sep 22, 2009 Saleris rated it liked it
It's a strange book. Sometimes a little disturbing, sometimes sad. But overall, it's a nice story with an interesting ending.
D
D added it
May 29, 2016
elidemelnibone
elidemelnibone rated it it was amazing
Jun 17, 2016
J R
J R rated it did not like it
May 21, 2016
Scotoma
Scotoma rated it liked it
May 21, 2016
Mateo
Mateo rated it really liked it
May 12, 2016
Choirsoftheeye
Choirsoftheeye marked it as to-read
May 03, 2016
John Radford
John Radford rated it really liked it
May 02, 2016
AJ Beirens
AJ Beirens rated it really liked it
May 01, 2016
Christina Scholz
Christina Scholz rated it liked it
Apr 21, 2016
Eric Johannson
Eric Johannson rated it liked it
Apr 04, 2016
Randy
Randy added it
Apr 04, 2016
Shay
Shay rated it really liked it
Apr 01, 2016
Justin Miller
Justin Miller marked it as to-read
Mar 30, 2016
Renee
Renee added it
Feb 23, 2016
Amanda Godecke
Amanda Godecke rated it really liked it
Feb 17, 2016
Karina
Karina marked it as to-read
Feb 14, 2016
Mord
Mord rated it did not like it
Feb 11, 2016
TBR Book Pile Monster
TBR Book Pile Monster marked it as to-read
Feb 06, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
Kristine Kathryn Rusch is an award-winning mystery, romance, science fiction, and fantasy writer. She has written many novels under various names, including Kristine Grayson for romance, and Kris Nelscott for mystery. Her novels have made the bestseller lists –even in London– and have been published in 14 countries and 13 different languages.

Her awards range from the Ellery Queen Readers Choice Aw
More about Kristine Kathryn Rusch...