Start by marking “Extremes (Retrieval Artist, #2)” as Want to Read:
Extremes (Retrieval Artist, #2)

Extremes (Retrieval Artist #2)

3.96 of 5 stars 3.96  ·  rating details  ·  583 ratings  ·  46 reviews
A Retrieval Artist dies of a virus, yet his colleague, Miles Flint, believes the death is not an accident. Police detective Noelle DeRicci knows that the death of a young woman in the Moon's prestigious Extreme Marathon is not an accident. It soon becomes clear that both deaths are connected. Flint and DeRicci find themselves in their own race, one against time and a certa ...more
Published July 1st 2003 by Roc (first published 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Extremes, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Extremes

Sandman Books (Heidi Lange)
"Extremes" by Kristine Kathryn Rusch is one of my favorite books. It's the second book in her Retrieval Artist series (which starts with "The Disappeared"). I've been re-reading the series this summer and it's just as good the second time through - perhaps even better. Somehow, she's able to blend classic crime noir with science fiction, yet she avoids the depressing cynicism that sometimes appears in both of those genres. The Retrieval Artist series is creative, traditional, clever, compelling ...more
Lara Saunders
Love this series. Immediately started the next one.
Stephen
So this wasn't what I expected. First, I guess I commend the author for pulling off the entire story in a single day (even if I was left wondering if all the time lines meshed perfectly), but I was expecting more, especially from the titular main character of the series, the retrieval artist. Flint is there to advance the story line, and he is crucial at the end, but he contributes very little to the investigation; his only investigative work takes place after the reader is supposed to know who ...more
Marion Hill

What happens when a rogue scientist decides she wants to kill an entire moon city with a virus in order to create her own version of a superhuman race? That question is the basic plot of Extremes by Kristine Kathryn Rusch. Extremes is the second novel in the multi-genre Retrieval Artist Series.

Miles Flint has become a retrieval artist after quitting the police force in the first book of the series, The Disappeared. Retrieval Artists are basically intergala
Eric_W
A continuation of the Retrieval Artist series. These are people who for a fee and whatever other reason specialize in finding those who have been forced to seek out new identities to escape the law, often because they might have violated some obscure regulation of another planet. The book has three parallel points-of-view: Miles Flint, a retrieval artist, DiRicci, a cop investigating the murder of a marathon runner, and Oliviari, a “Tracker” who looks for people like a Retrieval Artist, but for ...more
Bradley
Extremes , book two of the Retrieval Artist series by Kristine Kathryn Rusch furthers the adventures of Miles Flint, and his former partner, Armstrong Police Detective Noelle DeRicci. In Extremes, DeRicci is sent to investigate a death on the course of the Moon Marathon. At first, it appears to be a simple case, but DeRicci quickly realizes that this death is anything but simple. Meanwhile, Miles Flint is settling into his life as a Retrieval Artist, and learning what cases he should--and shoul ...more
Kathleen Dixon
A good second book in this moon-based detective series. Miles Flint has now been working for a while as a Retrieval Artist and, as he had been warned by Paloma (who he had bought the business from), there were boring periods of time when there were no clients. The book quickly rights that!

This book has quite a different focus to the first - it doesn't have alien races but instead has a mad scientist. And a lot of the activity happens Outside, i.e. on the moon surface rather than in the Armstrong
Princessjay
Tedious.

Shallow characters: The detective-turned-retrieval-artist, who was, we are repeatedly told, haunted by the death of his daughter 10 years ago. The tough female detective, hated by her department, complete with regulation-issue cardboard boss who loathe her for no reason.

The one-sided moral viewpoint: the human one. From a not particularly intelligent human, at that. The alien crimes were described thus: "People were punished for things they hadn't even known were crimes--for things, eve
BobA707
Summary: Another really enjoyable story, very few aliens this time, but an extremely well thought out and clever plot, and athe beginning of Miles carrear as a retrieval artist proper

Plotline: Really good plot, lots of careful work and an excellent story. Detective work at its best.

Premise: Works very well - in this case simply a moon dome home to million people or so ...

Writing: Excellent, simple, descriptive

Ending: Dramatic and conclusive

Pace: Never a dull moment
Brad
This book was better than the first, but I probably think that because it involved more science. The basic plot is this: a brilliant scientist has created a lethal virus to test and push humanity to its limits. After a disaster in another dome a decade back, she went into hiding. Now she's back to test it again during the Moon Marathon. Miles Flint and Noelle DeRicci, our protagonists from last book, are back to try to stop her before it's too late.

This book kept me hooked, though there wasn't a
Danjo
Ms. Rusch is a good writer; her words carry you along nicely. This was mostly a science-fiction mystery. The setting is the Moon marathon, hundreds of years after humans had domes in which they lived on the Moon. Nicely, the domed town is named "Armstrong." Lest we forget....

An intriguing cast of characters called Retrieval Artists, Disappeared, and Trackers interact in- and outside the law. Other books in the series apparently have space aliens in them; people transgress their rules and, to avo
Stef
These things are like candy.

Like the first book in the Retrieval Artist series, this is a police/detective novel set on the moon and it features the same two main characters, Noelle DiRicci (I really like this character) and Miles Flint.

A lot of the energy in this one comes from one set of characters having half of the information and another set having the other half, and are they going to hook up in time?

Rusch overwrites a bit, ending each chapter on the sort of cliffhanger that makes you ex
Bookmole
Jon
Interesting, but not noteworthy. I was hoping for it to be a little more like a police procedural.
Chas
Mar 28, 2014 Chas rated it 1 of 5 stars
Shelves: kindle
Very tedious, not sure why, the concept of retrieval artist is ok (tho not mind blowing).
Betsy Dion
This was a good murder mystery set in a great scifi world. If you like mysteries, even if you don't usually read scifi, you will like this book. It was easier to follow than the first book in the series, because it stuck to one main story line. Reading the first book would give some background on the main characters, but it is not necessary for understanding this one.
Michal
I wish I could write like this.
It's a police procedural set in the future colony on the Moon.
And it just works. She does this shifting view point thing seamlessly. There is what to learn here about writing and story telling . I've read five books in this series and they are enjoyable.
Rusch is a favorite author of mine.
C.S.
I liked this one better than the first one. I gave the first one a 4 but it was just barely. The science fiction was good but the mystery struggled. This one the mystery really worked for me. I much better blending of the two genres. I like the multiple story lines and the fun way they all pull together.
Kalyn
This book had a much better mystery than others in the series - felt much more like a detective novel than others. I liked that change. Since I read the books all out of order, I didn't mind the stereotypical characters as I knew things about them from later books that made them deeper.
John
Yow! This book took me a couple chapters to get into it, but by the last quarter I was hanging on every word! Beautiful amalgam of SF, mystery, and medical race against the clock. The braid of the three narrative points of view from the three investigators converged nicely.
Brad
While I think this books is not as good as the first in the series, the story was complex, compelling, and kept me reading with interest. Characters are at time a bit shallow and under-developed, but the story is compelling enough to keep me reading.
Craig
One of the Moon cops from The Disappeared is now a "retrieval artist" - helping those who have disappeared from alien justice to reclaim their former identities. He's still working with his former partner on murders connected to the disappeared though.
Jan
Liking this series more and more. So far each book stands on it's own. Not only are there mysteries but there is as often in sci fi what will be the ethics with items such as cloning and dealing with cultures which may very, very different.
Lauren Burnham
This was a good direction for the series to go on a second novel. It's nice to see that not all of humans troubles are blamed on aliens. This series has a little bit more depth than I thought it would. I look forward to the third book.
Kjirstin
I enjoyed this book so much that when I got to the end I was genuinely surprised... It was good to see Miles Flint as a bona fide Retrieval Artist and what that would mean for the sort of cases he would solve.
Tracey
Very Good book! Kept me turning page after page. Read this book in 4 and a half hours because I could.not.put.it.down! Found myself yelling at the book at one point. ;-) Highly recommend!
Jacinta
Fun adventure/mystery story building on the universe in The Disappeared. Slightly predictable at points, and doesn't quite hold up to depth the Vorkosigan universe.
Shawn
I thought the first book ended to soon so this one satisfied my hunger for more. The interesting characters were the only reason I kept on, the story not so much.
Ellen Brandt
I highly recommend this book to fellow Science Fiction fans and to those who enjoy Detective stories. The Retrieval Artists series is an exciting blend of both genres.
Ashley FL
Fun space detective series. Main character seems like a cross between Eve and Peabody from the "In Death" series, so that cracks me up!
  • The Crystal Variation (Liaden Universe, #1-3)
  • Darkship Renegades
  • Hidden in Sight (Web Shifters, # 3)
  • Vigilant (Expendables, #2)
  • Inside Job
  • Ride the Rising Tide (The Maxwell Saga, #2)
  • Starseed (Stardance, #2)
  • Queen of Candesce (Virga, #2)
  • Eyes of the Calculor (Greatwinter Trilogy #3)
  • Starship: Pirate (Starship, #2)
  • Endurance (Stardoc, #3)
  • The Radiant Seas (Saga of the Skolian Empire, #4)
  • The Heart of Valor (Confederation, #3)
  • KOP (Juno Mozambe Mystery #1)
Kristine Kathryn Rusch is an award-winning mystery, romance, science fiction, and fantasy writer. She has written many novels under various names, including Kristine Grayson for romance, and Kris Nelscott for mystery. Her novels have made the bestseller lists –even in London– and have been published in 14 countries and 13 different languages.

Her awards range from the Ellery Queen Readers Choice Aw
More about Kristine Kathryn Rusch...

Retrieval Artist (1 - 10 of 16 books)
  • The Disappeared (Retrieval Artist, #1)
  • Consequences (Retrieval Artist, #3)
  • Buried Deep (Retrieval Artist, #4)
  • Paloma (Retrieval Artist, #5)
  • Recovery Man (Retrieval Artist, #6)
  • Duplicate Effort (Retrieval Artist, #7)
  • Anniversary Day (Retrieval Artist, #8)
  • Blowback (Retrieval Artist, #9)
  • A Murder of Clones (Retrieval Artist, #10)
  • Search and Recovery (Retrieval Artist, #11)
The New Rebellion (Star Wars) The Disappeared (Retrieval Artist, #1) Diving into the Wreck (Diving Universe, #1) X-Men Consequences (Retrieval Artist, #3)