Start by marking “Extremes (Retrieval Artist, #2)” as Want to Read:
Extremes (Retrieval Artist, #2)

Extremes (Retrieval Artist #2)

A Retrieval Artist dies of a virus, yet his colleague, Miles Flint, believes the death is not an accident. Police detective Noelle DeRicci knows that the death of a young woman in the Moon's prestigious Extreme Marathon is not an accident. It soon becomes clear that both deaths are connected. Flint and DeRicci find themselves in their own race, one against time and a certa ...more
Published July 1st 2003 by Roc (first published 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Extremes, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Extremes

Cathy
Mar 15, 2016 Cathy rated it really liked it

Off topic: If you find old library due date stickers on the back of s book, do you remove them, or do you leave them on as quaint reminders of a bygone day? Or does it matter whether or not they're covering part of the text that you want to see on the back cover of the book? I took one off that was really blocking the description and left one for history's sake.

My first big reaction to the book was how glad I was that Noelle DeRicci, Miles's old police partner,was still in it. I liked t
Heidi Lange
"Extremes" by Kristine Kathryn Rusch is one of my favorite books. It's the second book in her Retrieval Artist series (which starts with "The Disappeared"). I've been re-reading the series this summer and it's just as good the second time through - perhaps even better. Somehow, she's able to blend classic crime noir with science fiction, yet she avoids the depressing cynicism that sometimes appears in both of those genres. The Retrieval Artist series is creative, traditional, clever, compelling ...more
Kris Sellgren
Jul 26, 2016 Kris Sellgren rated it really liked it
Shelves: reviewed
This taut thriller is set on the Moon, where extreme sports enthusiasts run a marathon race — outside a domed city, on the Lunar surface, in environmental suits. But when a murdered woman is found on the race course, three separate investigations lead to terrifying answers about a ruthless, disgraced scientist and the virus she has designed. A suspenseful read.
Bryan Schmidt
Mar 25, 2011 Bryan Schmidt rated it it was amazing
5th Retrieval Artist book I've read and the best so far. Compelling from start to finish. I didn't want to put it down. A page turner filled with mystery, suspense and great characters and setting. A must read.
Lara Saunders
Aug 05, 2014 Lara Saunders rated it it was amazing
Love this series. Immediately started the next one.
Anissa
Feb 18, 2017 Anissa rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: those who enjoy police procedurals & scifi.
Second installment of The Retrieval Artist series follows ex-detective-cum-Retrieval-Artist, Miles Flint undertaking a possible case brought to him by Ignatius Wagner of the law firm of WSX (Wagner, Stuart & Xendor). It seems that Rabinowitz, a firm Retrieval Artist has died in what Ignatius considers sketchy circumstances. A cold virus. But not just any cold virus, this one is possibly the result of a Disappeared, scientist Frieda Tey (my brain kept wanting to call her Josephine because of ...more
Bradley
Dec 18, 2012 Bradley rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Extremes , book two of the Retrieval Artist series by Kristine Kathryn Rusch furthers the adventures of Miles Flint, and his former partner, Armstrong Police Detective Noelle DeRicci. In Extremes, DeRicci is sent to investigate a death on the course of the Moon Marathon. At first, it appears to be a simple case, but DeRicci quickly realizes that this death is anything but simple. Meanwhile, Miles Flint is settling into his life as a Retrieval Artist, and learning what cases he should--and sho ...more
Tbfrank
May 30, 2016 Tbfrank rated it it was ok
Published in 2003, this is the second in Rusch’s Retrieval Artist Series set in the distant future sharing a common set of premises. Humanity has expanded outward and encountered many alien civilizations. The Earth government, in order to maintain goodwill and secure economic benefits, agreed business entities and their human representatives will abide by the legal system in effect on each world – a reversal of Earth’s capitulations system favored by colonial powers where their citizens who brok ...more
Marion Hill
Nov 10, 2013 Marion Hill rated it liked it
Shelves: owned

What happens when a rogue scientist decides she wants to kill an entire moon city with a virus in order to create her own version of a superhuman race? That question is the basic plot of Extremes by Kristine Kathryn Rusch. Extremes is the second novel in the multi-genre Retrieval Artist Series.

Miles Flint has become a retrieval artist after quitting the police force in the first book of the series, The Disappeared. Retrieval Artists are basically intergala
Stephen
So this wasn't what I expected. First, I guess I commend the author for pulling off the entire story in a single day (even if I was left wondering if all the time lines meshed perfectly), but I was expecting more, especially from the titular main character of the series, the retrieval artist. Flint is there to advance the story line, and he is crucial at the end, but he contributes very little to the investigation; his only investigative work takes place after the reader is supposed to know who ...more
Princessjay
Tedious.

Shallow characters: The detective-turned-retrieval-artist, who was, we are repeatedly told, haunted by the death of his daughter 10 years ago. The tough female detective, hated by her department, complete with regulation-issue cardboard boss who loathe her for no reason.

The one-sided moral viewpoint: the human one. From a not particularly intelligent human, at that. The alien crimes were described thus: "People were punished for things they hadn't even known were crimes--for things, eve
Eric_W
A continuation of the Retrieval Artist series. These are people who for a fee and whatever other reason specialize in finding those who have been forced to seek out new identities to escape the law, often because they might have violated some obscure regulation of another planet. The book has three parallel points-of-view: Miles Flint, a retrieval artist, DiRicci, a cop investigating the murder of a marathon runner, and Oliviari, a “Tracker” who looks for people like a Retrieval Artist, but for ...more
Kathleen Dixon
A good second book in this moon-based detective series. Miles Flint has now been working for a while as a Retrieval Artist and, as he had been warned by Paloma (who he had bought the business from), there were boring periods of time when there were no clients. The book quickly rights that!

This book has quite a different focus to the first - it doesn't have alien races but instead has a mad scientist. And a lot of the activity happens Outside, i.e. on the moon surface rather than in the Armstrong
Frank
Jan 22, 2016 Frank rated it liked it
Shelves: science-fiction
Extremes is the sequel to Rusch's The Disappeared. Like the original novel, the sequel blends speculative fiction with a police procedural, detective storyline.

However, unlike the first Retrieval Artist novel, there are no aliens; the events and plot are tightly contained around an all human cast and a murder investigation at the annual Moon Marathon.

Overall, the novel is weaker than The Disappeared: the lack of aliens and inter-species cultural conflict bleed the speculative world of some of th
Dave
Feb 07, 2015 Dave rated it liked it
I was hung up on rating this book 3 or 4 stars. It was a strange book, the first 50-60% was terrible, horrible pacing, very dis interesting and disparate threads that really didn't complement each other. In getting past the 60% mark I read 4 other books as I was that bored with this offering.

However, when it hits the final third a turgid affair becomes magnificent. The threads are wound together into an extremely tight and driven narrative, the characters gain some pace and personality and the s
Brad
Jun 16, 2009 Brad rated it really liked it
Shelves: sci-fi, z-2009
This book was better than the first, but I probably think that because it involved more science. The basic plot is this: a brilliant scientist has created a lethal virus to test and push humanity to its limits. After a disaster in another dome a decade back, she went into hiding. Now she's back to test it again during the Moon Marathon. Miles Flint and Noelle DeRicci, our protagonists from last book, are back to try to stop her before it's too late.

This book kept me hooked, though there wasn't a
Stef
Oct 07, 2008 Stef rated it really liked it
These things are like candy.

Like the first book in the Retrieval Artist series, this is a police/detective novel set on the moon and it features the same two main characters, Noelle DiRicci (I really like this character) and Miles Flint.

A lot of the energy in this one comes from one set of characters having half of the information and another set having the other half, and are they going to hook up in time?

Rusch overwrites a bit, ending each chapter on the sort of cliffhanger that makes you ex
Danjo
Feb 02, 2010 Danjo rated it it was ok
Ms. Rusch is a good writer; her words carry you along nicely. This was mostly a science-fiction mystery. The setting is the Moon marathon, hundreds of years after humans had domes in which they lived on the Moon. Nicely, the domed town is named "Armstrong." Lest we forget....

An intriguing cast of characters called Retrieval Artists, Disappeared, and Trackers interact in- and outside the law. Other books in the series apparently have space aliens in them; people transgress their rules and, to avo
Bookmole
Feb 10, 2011 Bookmole rated it really liked it
Shelves: books-read-2011
Glen U
Jul 18, 2015 Glen U rated it liked it
This is Rusch's second book in her Retrieval Artist series. Unlike the first book she shares the protagonist's duties with two other characters, Miles Flint ex-partner, Noelle DeRicci and a third party who is akin to a bounty hunter. She incorporates a real mystery among the standard sci-fi plot of a domed moon city, a contagious lethal virus and a mad scientist. And makes it all work. I am amazed that she can write a legitimate mystery within the parameters of pure science fiction. I am also am ...more
Wes
Mar 12, 2015 Wes rated it really liked it
A little less on point with the things I like (interstellar politics, law, and the tension between those and ethics and morality), but a fun read about domed communities and the likely paranoia they will have about epidemics and diseases. The ethical arguments about forcefully improving the quality of humanity through engineered disasters fell a little flat. It felt tacked on in places, but that may be because it's the parallel of an argument that I've run across in my professional job.

A fun rea
Carly Kirk
Jun 07, 2015 Carly Kirk rated it it was amazing
Shelves: reread, nook-ebook
Kate
Feb 24, 2012 Kate rated it really liked it
Shelves: library, 2015, 2012
02/2012 A rather good sci-fi mystery, set on the moon. Recommended if you like sci-fi, or mysteries (or both).

05/2015 If you picture a detective noir novel, but then set it in the future on the moon, and then have it turn into a thriller, you'll have Extremes. It's sort of in a genre of it's own, and it's quite good. Although it's technically the second book in the series, I read it first and I think it's the best introduction to the series.
BobA707
May 29, 2014 BobA707 rated it really liked it
Summary: Another really enjoyable story, very few aliens this time, but an extremely well thought out and clever plot, and athe beginning of Miles carrear as a retrieval artist proper

Plotline: Really good plot, lots of careful work and an excellent story. Detective work at its best.

Premise: Works very well - in this case simply a moon dome home to million people or so ...

Writing: Excellent, simple, descriptive

Ending: Dramatic and conclusive

Pace: Never a dull moment
Paul Trembling
Another excellent combination of science fiction and crime novel. I especially liked the way in which three separate story strands were woven together in a way that built the mystery. Excellent use of structure. The background of life in a dome city on the Moon was also very well developed. However, the space travel elements towards the end seemed weaker and less well thought through, which was disappointing. That apart, a very good read.
Michal
I wish I could write like this.
It's a police procedural set in the future colony on the Moon.
And it just works. She does this shifting view point thing seamlessly. There is what to learn here about writing and story telling . I've read five books in this series and they are enjoyable.
Rusch is a favorite author of mine.
Betsy Dion
Sep 12, 2011 Betsy Dion rated it really liked it
Shelves: scifi, mystery
This was a good murder mystery set in a great scifi world. If you like mysteries, even if you don't usually read scifi, you will like this book. It was easier to follow than the first book in the series, because it stuck to one main story line. Reading the first book would give some background on the main characters, but it is not necessary for understanding this one.
C.S.
Mar 27, 2009 C.S. rated it really liked it
Shelves: science-fiction
I liked this one better than the first one. I gave the first one a 4 but it was just barely. The science fiction was good but the mystery struggled. This one the mystery really worked for me. I much better blending of the two genres. I like the multiple story lines and the fun way they all pull together.
Craig
Dec 18, 2007 Craig rated it liked it
One of the Moon cops from The Disappeared is now a "retrieval artist" - helping those who have disappeared from alien justice to reclaim their former identities. He's still working with his former partner on murders connected to the disappeared though.
Margaret
Oct 05, 2016 Margaret rated it it was amazing
Excellent space mystery/detective story. Loved it. Took a tiny bit of time to warm up but it's really good once you get past the first few chapters. I really like her characters and I am looking forward to reading more about them in the next books.
  • Darkship Renegades (Darkship, #2)
  • Probability Sun (Probability, #2)
  • The Crystal Variation (Liaden Universe, #1-3)
  • Ex-KOP (Juno Mozambe Mystery #2)
  • The Phoenix Code
  • Starseed (Stardance, #2)
  • Hidden in Sight (Web Shifters, # 3)
  • Endurance (Stardoc, #3)
  • Queen of Candesce (Virga, #2)
  • Ride the Rising Tide (The Maxwell Saga, #2)
  • A Confederation of Valor (Confederation, #1-2)
  • The Morning Which Breaks (Loralynn Kennakris, #2)
  • Effendi
  • Never Surrender (The Empire's Corps, #10)
  • A Fire in the Sun
  • Prisoner's Hope (Seafort Saga, #3)
  • The Plutonium Blonde
Kristine Kathryn Rusch is an award-winning mystery, romance, science fiction, and fantasy writer. She has written many novels under various names, including Kristine Grayson for romance, and Kris Nelscott for mystery. Her novels have made the bestseller lists –even in London– and have been published in 14 countries and 13 different languages.

Her awards range from the Ellery Queen Readers Choice Aw
More about Kristine Kathryn Rusch...

Retrieval Artist (1 - 10 of 19 books)
  • The Disappeared (Retrieval Artist, #1)
  • Consequences (Retrieval Artist, #3)
  • Buried Deep (Retrieval Artist, #4)
  • Paloma (Retrieval Artist, #5)
  • Recovery Man (Retrieval Artist, #6)
  • Duplicate Effort (Retrieval Artist, #7)
  • Anniversary Day (Retrieval Artist, #8)
  • Blowback (Retrieval Artist, #9)
  • A Murder of Clones: A Retrieval Artist Short Novel
  • A Murder of Clones (Retrieval Artist, #10)