Start by marking “Mercy Watson to the Rescue (Mercy Watson #1)” as Want to Read:
Mercy Watson to the Rescue (Mercy Watson #1)

Mercy Watson to the Rescue (Mercy Watson #1)

4.01  ·  Rating Details ·  6,025 Ratings  ·  575 Reviews
To Mr. and Mrs. Watson, Mercy is not just a pig — she's a porcine wonder. And to the portly and good-natured Mercy, the Watsons are an excellent source of buttered toast, not to mention that buttery-toasty feeling she gets when she snuggles into bed with them. This is not, however, so good for the Watsons' bed. BOOM! CRACK! As the bed and its occupants slowly sink through ...more
Published August 23rd 2005 by Candlewick

To ask other readers questions about Mercy Watson to the Rescue, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mercy Watson to the Rescue

Amanda
Dec 04, 2009 Amanda rated it really liked it
Mercy Watson is a "porcine wonder," according to her human parents. Mr. and Mrs. Watson love their pig, Mercy, as if she were an only child. Mrs. Watson even dreams (happily) about fixing Mercy her favorite food: hot buttered toast. So when Mercy's desire to sleep with Mr. and Mrs. Watson puts all three of them in peril, the Watsons believe that Mercy's escape is an attempt to find help.

Mercy Watson to the Rescue is a funny story about parents who think only the best about their children (porci
Cheryl Gladfelter
Jan 15, 2016 Cheryl Gladfelter rated it really liked it
Shelves: humor, j-fiction, 2016
A fun transitional book. I can see why kids really like Mercy. It doesn't hurt that Mercy and I have the same favorite food (hot buttered toast).
Erica
Aug 25, 2015 Erica rated it it was amazing
Emma loved this book. Perfect intro chapter book that I could read to her. Still has a lot of illustrations, but she loved to tell me what was going to happy by looking at the photos.
Brenna
Jun 29, 2015 Brenna rated it it was amazing
This was a very funny book!
Megan
Nov 14, 2009 Megan rated it really liked it
independent read for second-third grade

Van Dusen uses bright bold colors and comic-like pictures to lure the readers through the book. The appealing illustrations extend the meaning of DiCamillo's words. The author/publisher uses visual aids to help the newly independent reader: font size, white space, short sentences. Vocabulary allows them to read it fluently, but introduces new words to challenge them. This book would really be appealing because of its humor. Begins to use grammatical style
Christopher
Dec 06, 2009 Christopher rated it it was amazing
(Transitional Reader: second grade to third or early fourth grade)

DiCamillo creates an entertaining story that is both fun and very easy to read. This book is perfect for a child that is looking for a book after picture books and before picture-less chapter books. The pages have no more than 13 lines. Most sentences contain 4-7 words, giving the reader's eyes plenty of time to rest. The story is episodic yet fluid enough to move the story. The cartoon-like pictures help to give the story some de
Cass
May 09, 2014 Cass rated it liked it
I am just going to copy and paste the same review across all these books... they are all the same.

I didn't really enjoy this but my kids love it. They are 4 and 2 and they happily sit through the entire book (which takes about 10-15minutes to read). It is lengthy and not all pages have pictures, but they snuggle up and enjoy it, so for that reason it gets 3-stars.

The writing is uninteresting and follows an obvious line for each story (Mercy the pig goes to bed, something bad happens, Mercy wants
Adam
Feb 16, 2009 Adam rated it liked it
Wonderfully illustrated! The stories are typical of the simplest text chapter books (first/beginning chapter book) series, but do retain that DiCamillo charm that will get a giggle out of most kids.

Not being strangled to death with controlled vocabularies of those leveled-by-difficulty Dick & Jane type readers, the Mercy Watson series remains a pleasant read for the category and great alternative to the boring-your-kids-out-of-reading-leveled-readers that are just a wee-bit too prevalent.
Margie
Sep 18, 2016 Margie rated it it was amazing
Eleven years ago to the day, a series of books began with a pig. Does this pig live on Old MacDonald's farm? No, this pig does not live on a farm. This pig lives with Mr. Watson and Mrs. Watson in their home at 54 Deckawoo Drive.

Mercy Watson begins her adventures with Mercy Watson to the Rescue (Candlewick Press, August 23, 2005) written by Kate DiCamillo with illustrations by Chris Van Dusen. At the close of every day the Watsons tuck Mercy into bed, singing

My full recommendation: http://libra
joanna Sondheim
Jul 20, 2012 joanna Sondheim rated it really liked it
A hilarious story about a lovable pig, Mercy Watson, and her devoted owners, Mr. and Mrs. Watson. The book has huge appeal for young readers. The pictures by Chris Van Dusen are bright and cheery, with large text and line spacing, the story line is incredible funny, and just simple enough that early readers can follow along.
Pandagirl672
Apr 08, 2009 Pandagirl672 rated it really liked it
I read this book when I was probably 7. I brought it home from our school book fair, and I read it over and over again for a few weeks after I bought it.
Maya
Jan 27, 2009 Maya rated it really liked it
My second grade teacher read a few of the Mercy Watson books aloud. I remember thinking about how funny and silly the book was...
Rachel
May 26, 2016 Rachel rated it it was amazing
Very cute! My daughter loved it!
Sofia
May 22, 2009 Sofia rated it it was amazing
The book was awsome!!!!!!!!!!!It was also veeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeerrrrrry funny!
Audrey Robledo
Jun 30, 2015 Audrey Robledo rated it really liked it
It was so funny!
Jennifer Wolf
Oct 17, 2015 Jennifer Wolf rated it it was amazing
Shelves: maidie
Love this pig who doesn't know she's a pig...or maybe she just doesn't care!
Seamus
Feb 24, 2016 Seamus rated it liked it
Adrienne
Apr 24, 2016 Adrienne rated it it was amazing
I loved this book! I thought it was hilarious and delightful. Simple but adorable.
Amanda
Feb 09, 2016 Amanda rated it it was amazing
This is my favorite starter chapter book for kids! Great for first graders ready for more!
Jeff Learned
Sep 01, 2013 Jeff Learned rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction
If you like toast, this one is for you!
Erin Hatch
Mar 31, 2016 Erin Hatch rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kid-books
Super fun. Made my kids and I laugh. Simple chapter book with fun pictures. Loved it.
Leah Jay
Aug 25, 2016 Leah Jay rated it it was amazing
So wonderful! Another great book by my favorite author:-)
Emily
Nov 15, 2016 Emily rated it it was amazing
A lovely story, with beautiful illustrations. This is an amazing first chapter book and the series is a great bridge between picture books and text books. My kids were both 3 when I started reading this series to them at bedtime. The stories are light and fun, the characters have distinct personalities and are beautifully drawn. There is a really nice balance of illustration to words so most of the pages have something for the kids to look at while we are reading and then later when they are ...more
Emily
Nov 08, 2016 Emily rated it it was amazing
Mercy Watson to the Rescue is the tale of pig named Mercy who is the adopted child of Mr. & Mrs Watson. One night Mercy decides she is too lonely to sleep by herself and goes to snuggle with the Watson's. When the bed starts to fall through the floor Mercy goes to look for buttered toast leaving the Watson's stranded. In her quest for food is she also able to save the Watsons?
I put this book on my favorites shelf because it is an amusing chapter book for early readers. This children's fictio
Ellen
Oct 24, 2016 Ellen rated it it was amazing
Pizza Hut Book-It gave this book away this year along with an audio version. Although I've read it before, I hadn't heard the audio and my son and I needed something to listen to while we were out last week. He was able to sit through the entire reading and laughed out loud at more than one part. The wacky adventures of a couple who treats their pig like a child is sure to bring laughs. His favorite part was when the pig crawled into bed with them and --CRACK! CRASH!-- it opens up a hole in the ...more
Jess
Nov 30, 2016 Jess rated it really liked it
November 2016 - I checked out a few shorter chapter books with the idea of reading them to Ben when he's taking forever eating a meal, and this was our first try, although at snacktime on a day when I knew I wouldn't be home for bedtime stories. We ended up reading the whole thing in one sitting. Perfect balance of text and pictures to hold Ben's attention, and funny. The chapters mean it would also work well over several sittings.
Katie DeBrisco
Title: Mercy Watson To the Rescue
Author: Kate DiCamillo
Illustrator: Chris Van Dusen
Genre: Transitional Chapter Book
Theme: Adventure; pets; helping others; safety; assumptions are sometimes incorrect
Opening Line/Sentence: "Mr. Watson and Mrs. Watson have a pig named Mercy."

Brief Book Summary: After Mercy the pig snuggles to sleep with the Watsons, all three awaken with the bed on the edge of a big hole in the floor. Mercy ends up leaving the house and looks like she is on a mision. The Watsons
Lee Huntington
Nov 02, 2016 Lee Huntington rated it it was amazing
Fantastic language. A joy to read and re-read to my 5-year-old.
Valerie
Nov 09, 2016 Valerie rated it it was amazing
Adorbs! I read this with my 8 year old and he loved it! Mercy and her toast! So cute!
Jackie Thiel
Nov 25, 2016 Jackie Thiel rated it it was amazing
My 2nd graders love this series!
This book seems to have a lot of "spam" reviews! 20 17 Oct 18, 2014 07:35AM
  • Smarter than Squirrels (Down Girl and Sit)
  • Lady Lollipop
  • Anna Hibiscus (Anna Hibiscus, #1)
  • Lulu and the Brontosaurus
  • In Aunt Lucy's Kitchen (Cobble Street Cousins, # 1)
  • Boris on the Move (Boris #1)
  • Tales of Bunjitsu Bunny (Bunjitsu Bunny #1)
  • Ivy and Bean (Ivy and Bean, #1)
  • I am Invited to a Party! (Elephant & Piggie, #3)
  • Rabbit and Robot: The Sleepover
  • Dory Fantasmagory
  • Dodsworth in New York
  • The Chicken Squad: The First Misadventure (Chicken Squad, #1)
  • Toys Go Out
  • Ling & Ting: Not Exactly the Same! (Ling & Ting, #1)
  • Penny and Her Marble
  • Cowgirl Kate and Cocoa
  • The Princess in Black (The Princess in Black, #1)
Kate DiCamillo, the newly named National Ambassador for Young People’s Literature for 2014–2015, says about stories, “When we read together, we connect. Together, we see the world. Together, we see one another.” Born in Philadelphia, the author lives in Minneapolis, where she faithfully writes two pages a day, five days a week.

Kate DiCamillo's own journey is something of a dream come true. After
More about Kate DiCamillo...

Mercy Watson (6 books)
  • Mercy Watson Goes for a Ride (Mercy Watson #2)
  • Mercy Watson Fights Crime (Mercy Watson #3)
  • Mercy Watson: Princess in Disguise (Mercy Watson #4)
  • Mercy Watson Thinks Like a Pig (Mercy Watson #5)
  • Mercy Watson: Something Wonky This Way Comes (Mercy Watson #6)