Start by marking “The Casebook of Forensic Detection: How Science Solved 100 of the World's Most Baffling Crimes” as Want to Read:

3.86  ·  Rating Details  ·  602 Ratings  ·  37 Reviews
This fascinating book describes the development of forensics from the nineteenth century to the present. Cases are classified by 15 forensic types then arranged chronologically. Features riveting stories of how forensic experts were able to identify a person with only one one thousandth of her body parts, the dramatic tale of how a psychological profile helped catch a dang ...more
Published October 30th 1998 by Wiley (first published 1996)

To ask other readers questions about The Casebook of Forensic Detection, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Casebook of Forensic Detection

Barbara
This nonfiction book is a must for fans of CSI/Law & Order/Bones and any police drama that features forensics. The book is divided into sections, each discussing crimes and how a particular type of forensic science helped solve them. Under ballistics, you'll read of Sacco and Vanzetti; disputed documents uncovers the forged Hitler diaries; DNA typing, the Romanovs; fingerprinting, the notorious Kelly gang; forensic anthropology ("Bones"), the infamous John Wayne Gacy and Josef Mengele; odont ...more
Tam
Nov 27, 2015 Tam rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Casebook Of Forensic Detection As I said earlier, this was a fascinating book, it just felt like it took forever to read it. And it was only 350 pages or so.

I liked the style of the book, a short summation of each forensic technique (time of death, fingerprints, DNA, etc) that gave a little bit of an explanation and a little history before delving into specific cases. And a great selection of cases, from murder to forgeries to poisonings, all over the last few hundred years to show how each
stargazerpuj
Aug 15, 2010 stargazerpuj rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Casebook of Forensic Detection: How Science Solved 100 of the World's Most Baffling CrimesColin Evans

Any student of detection and forensics, casual or serious is sure to love this book.

I always expected a book of true crime to be a little too factual and boring, but Colin Evans makes this a very pleasurable read (once you ignore human depravity and gore).

A book like this needs to be presented well, and in this also The Casebook doesn't disappoint. It has sections for the major disciplines
Angela
Aug 08, 2010 Angela rated it liked it
Recommends it for: CSI fans

A friend of mine worked in Oklahoma PD when the John Joubert case was being investigated (pg. 285)

Fascinating reading.

It took me longer than expected to finally finish this book. What should be noted - even when investigators (forensic and otherwise) mess up, the bad guy usually gets caught on something. The evidence doesn't lie, even if the people processing the evidence do.

A good read, and fascinating for anyone interested in the world of the REAL CSIs (you all know that the popular TV show i
Christopher
May 04, 2014 Christopher rated it really liked it
An interesting and decent enough book. I thought most of the cases presented were worthy, but there were others that I thought should have been in there and weren't. I guess any compendium suffers from this. There were a lot of older cases, and by older I mean 1700s and 1800s, but I get that. The idea was to present a history of the evolution of forensic science. The most interesting aspect was the kind of mini biographies of some of the best of the best pioneers in forensic science. I would ac ...more
Sheila
Jan 19, 2009 Sheila rated it really liked it
A collection of one hundred crimes. Each summary is a couple pages long, and they're grouped by the forensic discovery that best defines the case (time of death, fingerprinting, etc). A good read, and a book I'll be keeping around as a reference/for story ideas.
Ariana Smith
Nov 24, 2014 Ariana Smith rated it it was amazing
I think The Casebook of forensic detection:how science solved 100 of the worlds most baffling crimes was an amazing book! some people may not agree with me, due to the fact that the book talks quite a bit about murder and can include gruesome details, but it is a very good book, especially if you are thinking about becoming a CSI agent or forensic specialist. Even though it can be boring in some parts, it is very informational.

This book includes topics such as fingerprinting, time of death, and
Fishface
Jan 17, 2016 Fishface rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
A great read. Takes the reader through various disciplines within the forensic sciences and gives examples of each, dating from the earliest days of inquiry into that discipline to the latest developments. Every case is very, very interesting reading and you never bog down in this book. Even the cases I've read about before held my interest.
dejah_thoris
Sep 09, 2013 dejah_thoris rated it liked it
Another of Evan's excellent books on forensic pathology. This book is arranged alphabetically by type of evidence (Ballistics, Cause of Death, Disputed Documents, DNA Typing, Explosives and Fire, Fingerprinting, Forensic Anthropology, Odontology, Psychological Profiling, Identification of Remains, Serology, Time of Death, Toxicology, Trace Evidence, Voiceprints) and then chronologically within each section. Most cases are only a couple of pages long, making the book feel like light reading. Some ...more
Gia
May 14, 2015 Gia rated it it was amazing
Great learning book for the study of forensic science and how it all began. Fingerprinting, etc. How these devices started, where we are today, and how they helped even in the 1800`s to solve crimes/mainly murders. ...more
Natalie
May 12, 2008 Natalie rated it really liked it
I thought this was an interesting book since I find forensics fascinating. It's not very gripping or intense, which you might think it should be from the "world's most baffling crimes," but it is very informative. I learned some interesting things.

Also, it had some key crimes in there (Hitler Diaries, Anastasia), but again, "world's most baffling"...I don't know. It's an good read though, if you're interested in learning a little bit more about the history of forensics.

DO NOT read this if you g
SeriouslyJerome
Jan 02, 2013 SeriouslyJerome rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery, true-crime
An overview of key developments in forensic detection, this book offers fascinating accounts of the various cases which introduced those modes of detection. Each case highlighted is about a page or two long - with just enough detail to be interesting, while not indulging in gruesome descriptions. Colin Evans was able to balance the info with his writing style, to make each account intriguing. Only a few of the cases mentioned (involving crimes against children) were too much me to bear. Even sti ...more
Quincey Paiva

DO NOT read this if you
Keri
Jul 18, 2013 Keri rated it liked it
I found this book interesting, although definitely disturbing. My only disappointment was that the cases are titled using the name of the guilty party so that the reader doesn't have the chance to follow the development of the case as the detectives would have. I solved this by skipping the headings and trying to read the cases without glancing back at the headings, but it was difficult. It would have been easy to solve this problem just by titling the cases with the names of the victims.
Trin
Jul 02, 2007 Trin rated it really liked it
Shelves: truecrime, science
A really great book if you're feeling morbid. The focus on the early days of true forensic investigating is fantastic, and the cases share an apropriate degree of the creepy/chilling factor. For atmosphere, think Caleb Carr's The Alienist, only real. This was one of my favorite books to read and reread when I was about fifteen, which proves at least one thing conclusively: I was a very strange fifteen-year-old.
Jenny
Oct 10, 2010 Jenny rated it it was amazing
A fascinating book about 100 high profile crimes (mostly murders) and the different forensic methods used to solve them, dating from the 1700s to 1995, when the book was written. I couldn't put it down! The descriptions aren't too graphic, although there were a couple that made me feel a little squeamish (body disposals in a sausage factory and a restaurant well.) Definitely a good read if you like true crime stories.
Josh S
Jun 26, 2011 Josh S rated it liked it
Handy episodic view of forensic sciences, and a good grounding for how actual forensic detective work has been practiced over the last 100 years, but the short treatment for each case, inconsistent emphasis of forensics and snappy summations make this more a fun read to breeze through rather than a serious work to savor.

Still, if you're going to steal ideas for a forensic TV show, this'd be a good place to start.
Terri
Jul 01, 2008 Terri rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love this kind of stuff !

This book examines the evolution of forensic dectection, just as the title states. It's very interesting to read of familiar cases (last 20 years) and the methods employed to solve the case, along with 200 year old cases solved without the technological advances of today.

The cases are presented in short 2-4 pages generally so interest is not lost.
Janis
Dec 31, 2013 Janis rated it it was ok
Very basic glossing of cases. Little detail and less science. Perhaps choosing 25 cases and focusing on the contribution to forensic discovery would serve more than this laundry list of crimes.
Anna Garrett
Jan 09, 2014 Anna Garrett rated it really liked it
This is a very informative book that brings the layperson along rather than going above their heads.
Pam
Oct 14, 2007 Pam rated it it was ok
I'm sure I learned more than I think I did - but I was hoping for a bit more.

I think I was unfairly jaded by the cursory treatment of the molecular forensic section, since I work in a clinical diagnostic molecular lab. I got to thinking that maybe every section was that "glossed over".
Ashley
Aug 06, 2014 Ashley rated it really liked it
This was a great book! It gave me just enough scientific background in each case to be satiated. I would have liked a little more depth with some of the cases, but I understand that it would have caused the book to be extremely lengthy. Other than that, excellent read.
Aleisha Z Coleman
Jan 09, 2010 Aleisha Z Coleman rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: a lot of people
A little snippet at the beginning of each chapter summarizes how the principle of forensics works and is used today, then it goes through the most important cases in the last 100 years using that technique. It is fabulous. My first book of this new year--one a week!
Beka
Apr 07, 2013 Beka rated it really liked it
Shelves: criminology
Each case is about 3 pages long and gives the salient points without being graphic or too clinical. A nice collection of cases displaying various genres of forensic detection through the ages. Very informative and interesting.
James
Well written and interesting without bogging down in too-technical information. Actually, I wish the author had made this a longer book and gone into more detail - his accounts of many cases are very brief.
Dina
Jun 04, 2012 Dina rated it it was amazing
Really good, probably my favourite of the casebooks I've read. Each individual story is short enough to keep interest, but not so short as to not give an accurate or complete picture of the crime.
John
Oct 28, 2014 John rated it liked it
A little bit dry, but gives an interesting perspective on the history of forensic science in crime detection.
Kelly
Jun 25, 2007 Kelly rated it liked it
Recommends it for: those who want a very basic overview of forensics
Although there are many not-so-sensational crimes included in this book, it gives a brief overview of how the case was solved using the forensic methods available at that time.
Anita Dalton
Nothing really new to learn in this book unless you are a crime detection novice but still a serviceable and reasonably informative and entertaining book.
Daniel
Jul 20, 2012 Daniel rated it really liked it
Shelves:

Excellent. Interesting and informative. Loved every page. Not all cases were interesting to me (as things go) but overall it was fascinating.
copies with fingerprinting section missing 1 2 Nov 07, 2013 06:28PM
  • The Forensic Casebook: The Science of Crime Scene Investigation
  • Forensic Detective: How I Cracked the World's Toughest Cases
  • Bones: A Forensic Detective's Casebook
  • Bodies We've Buried: Inside the National Forensic Academy, the World's Top CSI Training School
  • Unnatural Death: Confessions of a Medical Examiner
  • Coroner's Journal: Stalking Death in Louisiana
  • What the Corpse Revealed
  • Never Suck A Dead Man's Hand: And Other Life (and Death) Lessons from the Front Lines of Forensics
  • Teasing Secrets from the Dead: My Investigations at America's Most Infamous Crime Scenes
  • Hidden Evidence: 40 True Crimes and How Forensic Science Helped Solve Them
  • True Stories of Law & Order: SVU
  • Blood Secrets: A Forensic Expert Reveals How Blood Spatter Tells the Crime Scene's Story
  • Forensic Science of CSI
  • Aftermath, Inc.: Cleaning Up After CSI Goes Home
  • Fingerprints: The Origins of Crime Dectection and the Murder Case That Launched Forensic Science
  • Corpse: Nature, Forensics, and the Struggle to Pinpoint Time of Death
  • Dead Center: Behind the Scenes at the World's Largest Medical Examiner's Office
  • Cracking Cases: The Science of Solving Crimes
Colin Evans is the author of 17 books dealing with forensics and true crime. His fascination with the murkier side of human nature began while he was still in school. Hours spent in library archives researching contemporary newspaper accounts about "Jack the Ripper" (no, he doesn't have any clues to the killer's identity, and he seriously doubts that anyone else does, either) got him started and i ...more
More about Colin Evans...