Start by marking “Inside the Stalin Archives: Discovering the New Russia” as Want to Read:
Inside the Stalin Archives: Discovering the New Russia

Inside the Stalin Archives: Discovering the New Russia

3.64 of 5 stars 3.64  ·  rating details  ·  70 ratings  ·  12 reviews
To most Americans, Russia remains as enigmatic today as it was during the Iron Curtain era. With the collapse of the Soviet Union, the country had an opportunity to face its tortured past. In Inside the Stalin Archives, Jonathan Brent asks, why didn't this happen? Why are the anti-Semitic Protocols of Zion sold openly in the lobby of the State Duma? Why are archivists unde ...more
Published December 17th 2008 by Atlas (first published November 3rd 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Inside the Stalin Archives, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Inside the Stalin Archives

Nicholas and Alexandra by Robert K. MassiePeter the Great by Robert K. MassieCatherine the Great by Robert K. MassieThe Gulag Archipelago 1918-1956 by Aleksandr SolzhenitsynNatasha's Dance by Orlando Figes
Best Russian History Books
91st out of 261 books — 199 voters
Guns, Germs, and Steel by Jared DiamondThe Looming Tower by Lawrence WrightThe Guns of August by Barbara W. TuchmanA Problem from Hell by Samantha PowerThe Prize by Daniel Yergin
Pulitzer Winners: General Non-fiction
44th out of 57 books — 157 voters

More lists with this book...

Gramarye
Agreeing with the other reviews that this book didn't quite seem to know what it wanted to be: history, travelogue, a book about the manuscript publishing process, a work of literary detection and criticism, or something else. The good parts are very good; the middling parts are forgettable. But I'd recommend it to someone who wanted to see a slightly different take on late Soviet/modern Russian history and politics.
Aharon
Sometimes he tries to get a little fancy and you have to cringe. But the rest of the time there's the perfect balance between totalitarian mass murder and getting lost on trolleys.
Thomas
Feb 06, 2014 Thomas marked it as unfinished
Shelves: abandoned
I didn't make it very far into this book. Whereas the title led me to believe that it covered the material in the Stalin archives, what I got through mostly seems to be tedious travelogue about the author going to Russian IN ORDER TO INSPECT the Stalin archives. Whether he ever gets around to relating the new material is unclear to me, because I gave up after reading perhaps a fifth of the book. There are far more amusing travelogues of Russia than this one, and I'm not that interested in contem ...more
Eric
An interesting book that doesn't quite seem to know what it wants to be. At times, it's the story of how Yale University Press got its hands on valuable Soviet-era archives. At other times, it's a not-so-compelling travel piece about Moscow. All that is interspersed with new narratives from, presumably, those valuable Soviet archives, such as the ordeal of Russian writer Isaac Babel. At the end, the author wraps it all up with a discourse on Stalin himself. There is a lot of good information in ...more
Kim
Well this isn't the story I thought it would be based on the title. I never read the blurb, which might have stopped me, and I'm glad I didn't. This was more about the journey to the Stalin (and other) archives than about what was in the archives themselves, which is only hinted at. Still, the author's travels to Russia and his descriptions of Moscow's inhabitants and its rapidly changing 'landscape' were revealing.
Lauren
A crucial book for anyone interested in the fall of communism and the cult of Stalin (and simply the cult of personality). Brent takes the reader along on his trips to the archives in Moscow and one becomes aware of the sheer depth of such an archival undertaking. His analysis was particularly fascinating to me.
David
What starts out as a book about the author's experience in starting Yale's "Annals of Communism" series turns into a unique look at a historic period of time when Russia finally had an opportunity to go down a path toward democratization but instead chose a different route.
Pat
A good portion of this book is the story of how Yale University Press - through the author - managed to make a deal with the Russian achival units to research and print information about the Stalin years from the Stalin Archives in Moscow and other cities in Russia.
Angela
I thoroughly enjoyed this book from start to finish. Not only was it historically relevant and factually interesting; but the author successfully intertwined personal narrative and story throughout. I would definitely read this book again.

Edward
The legacy of Stalin, not man, but Soviet power - the secret, conspiratorial, violent nature of all Russian governments continuing today reaching back to Czarist times, but especially the legacy of the government of the Soviet Union.
Ramona
More of a story about traveling in Russia than about archives or Stalin, but there were some juicy tidbits about both.
Quite interesting at the beginning and end.
Mitch
A must read for coming to terms with the 20th century, a coming to terms all too rare today.
Bruno Teixeira
Bruno Teixeira is currently reading it
Nov 19, 2014
Mwr
Mwr marked it as to-read
Nov 15, 2014
Justin Murakami
Justin Murakami marked it as to-read
Carolyn
Carolyn marked it as to-read
Vinícius Erchov
Vinícius Erchov marked it as to-read
Melanie
Melanie marked it as to-read
Nov 08, 2014
Inge
Inge marked it as to-read
Nov 06, 2014
Alan Gongora
Alan Gongora marked it as to-read
Nov 05, 2014
Tammie
Tammie marked it as to-read
Nov 04, 2014
Alisha
Alisha marked it as to-read
Nov 04, 2014
Gayle Noble
Gayle Noble marked it as to-read
Nov 03, 2014
Anssi
Anssi marked it as to-read
Nov 02, 2014
Shannon
Shannon marked it as to-read
Nov 02, 2014
Bikerider99
Bikerider99 marked it as to-read
Oct 31, 2014
David Addiss
David Addiss marked it as to-read
Sonia
Sonia marked it as to-read
Oct 30, 2014
Madison
Madison marked it as to-read
Oct 30, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • The Forsaken: An American Tragedy in Stalin's Russia
  • The Whisperers: Private Life in Stalin's Russia
  • Everyday Stalinism: Ordinary Life in Extraordinary Times: Soviet Russia in the 1930s
  • Black Earth: A Journey Through Russia After the Fall
  • Lost and Found in Russia: Lives in the Post-Soviet Landscape
  • Lenin's Tomb: The Last Days of the Soviet Empire
  • The Great Terror: A Reassessment
  • Molotov's Magic Lantern: A Journey In Russian History
  • The Haunted Land: Facing Europe's Ghosts After Communism
  • The New Nobility: The Restoration of Russia's Security State and the Enduring Legacy of the KGB
  • Eight Pieces of Empire: A 20-Year Journey Through the Soviet Collapse
  • Stalin and His Hangmen: The Tyrant and Those Who Killed for Him
  • The Rise and Fall of Communism
  • Spies and Commissars: The Early Years of the Russian Revolution
  • Night of Stone: Death and Memory in Twentieth-Century Russia
  • Ashes to Ashes: America's Hundred-Year Cigarette War, the Public Health, and the Unabashed Triumph of Philip Morris
  • Move Your Shadow: South Africa, Black and White
  • So Human an Animal: How We are Shaped by Surroundings and Events
Stalin's Last Crime: The Plot Against the Jewish Doctors, 1948-1953 A John Cage Reader: In Celebration of His 70th Birthday Best Triquartrly TriQuarterly 49: Science Fiction Amérique du Nord (Le Serpent à plumes, tome 7)